final.

Ginger Ways

Ginger had never really felt the need to charm Mama Tae into doing stuff before. Usually if he wanted something, she gave it to him without a fight... even if that meant some of Giant Soo’s very tasty food or Prince’s bio treats. Because Mama Tae was the easiest and kindest Mama of all times. She smiled a lot and patted him when he helped her with his perfect advices and hugged him to sleep when Mama Pany wasn’t being too clingy. She was weak when it came to him, he knew that because that’s what Prince told him the other day, glaring at him jealously.

 

Ginger has never really felt the need to charm Mama Tae into doing stuff for him before but... desperate times called for desperate measures.

 

He whimpered.

 

Yes, he did. He sat on her lap and put his front paws on her chest and looked at her... pathetically and whimpered shamelessly.

 

He barked at her twice. “Please don’t leave me with the crazy noonas!”

 

Mama Tae furrowed her eyebrows, pouting slightly as she looked up at the only other person in the room... her manager. Ginger detested the managers. They made his Mama Tae’s members eat less than they should. Ginger detested all the managers. Except manager Shosho. Manager Shosho was nice to people. He liked nice humans. “Can’t I take him and leave him in the hotel room when I’m performing? Oppa? Please?”

 

“Taeyeon-ah, you know the company’s policy...” the man began but Ginger cut him off with a loud bark, he was having none of it!

 

“I’m a good boy,” he told her, scoffing as if to say – you’ll miss me if you go without me.

 

Mama Tae nodded knowingly at that, smiling sadly at him. Oh no. “Sorry Ginger... But I’ll be back in two days!” the woman patted him and he hated that it felt good. He was still angry though. “ReVel noonas will take good care of you, I promise.”

 

“No!” he begged, whimpering and giving his best puppy look ever because that’s supposed to be the most efficient way to get her to say yes. “Please don’t! They’re crazy!”

 

But it was pointless.

 

Two minutes later, he was crawling pitifully behind his owner to the room where he’d meet his impending fate. He could already hear the stupid dumbdumbdumb song blaring through closed door but as Mama Tae opened it after knocking faintly, the music only got louder. He... didn’t hate the song since he was a fan but right now he pretty much wanted to die. Or to eat, he was getting really hungry.

 

He barely had the chance to put a paw inside the room and they already began making those high pitched noises again and Evil Soo quickly took him in her arms. He whimpered longingly, looking at his Mama with glassy eyes that seemed to say – don’t leave me behind, woman!

 

“Hi girls,” Taeyeon began, bowing to her younger colleagues with a smile. “I hope I didn’t make you wait too long. Ginger was being a bit... difficult.”

 

The dog looked at her indignantly, wanting to plead his case because honestly, did she expect him to come running into this room of crazies without a fight?! He shook his head disappointedly.

 

Aw,” cooed Aunt Wan, coming to caress him sweetly. This is why she was the best aunt, he thought. He loved her a lot. Maybe he should kiss her later when she’s sleeping or something. “Ginger must miss you a lot when you go overseas, Taeyeon unnie.”

 

Yes, but that wasn’t the matter, here. Ginger looked at Evil Soo as she played with his ears and he barked to wave her off. “It’s these girls and the way they keep bullying me,” he told his favourite aunt, hoping she’d help him escape the dorm at night so he could join Prince at Grumpy Sica’s house. Why did he get to stay with the fun lazy one whilst he got these crazy ones again?

 

“Yeah,” Mama Tae breathed out. When he looked at her, she was half hugging Evil Soo’s tiny friend, Evil Yeri. She’s the worst, he decided. He won’t kiss her in her sleep because he only loved her a little bit...okay maybe he loved them all but he loved Aunt Wan better. Where were the other two girls that keep each other’s faces anyways? Not like he cared about them but the Bear was kinda his bestest friend.

 

He heard his Mama thank them in advance for taking care of him (more like torturing him, he thought) but he all but jumped off the embrace he was held capture in, turning around to look for his second favourite couple after Mama Tae and Mama Pany. He found them quickly, having memorized their smell, but he knew something was wrong the moment he laid his eyes on them. Because Big Bear and Tiny Rabbit weren’t sitting with each other. They weren’t each other’s mouths. Instead, the Bear was looking longingly at the Rabbit who decided to focus on her phone.

 

This was weird, he knew. Yes. This was alarming. But Ginger thought there were more pressing matters. More important stuff.

 

Were they...seriously...ignoring him?!

 

He turned to his Mama Tae to tell her there was no way he was doing this but he found her gone already. Without kissing him? He barked, what was wrong with these people?!

 

Then, he noticed the two satans looking at him with mischief written all over their faces and he squeaked, jumping in Aunt Wan’s arms.

 

Help!

 

 

-

 

 

Ginger chewed on his Doggy Doo treats furiously, all the while watching his favourite aunt bake for the girls. He was feeling weird and it wasn’t weird in a good way. Because he felt a lot of things at the same times and it made him want to sleep; but he can’t sleep without Aunt Wan – god knew what the other two devils were planning to do to him! The last time he trusted them they made him wear weird hello kitty socks...pink hello kitty socks. He growled at the memory, feeling threatened by their presence in the dorm.

 

“Are you okay, Ginger?” Asked Aunt Wan in English and he whimpered tiredly.

 

“You’re so lucky I understand Mama Pany and Grumpy Sica’s language too,” he told her. Then he put his paws on her leg, caressing her a bit. “You’re a good person. I like you a lot. You’re ma favourite.”

 

“Aw,” she cooed again because she was the sweetest human being ever and she loved him too. “You’re going to stay with me, aren’t you?”

 

“Yes,” he barked distractedly, going back to his food so he wouldn’t make her burn the food in the weird hot box they call oven. He wanted to taste it anyways.

 

“I hope this will cheer Seulgi up,” the most perfect human being he knew said again and he listened because nobody else in the dorm did listen to her when she talked and also because she was talking about Big Bear. He liked Big Bear, but not right now. Right now he wanted to bite her ankle...then maybe kiss her because he missed her a wee bit.

 

He barked loudly. “What’s wrong with her anyways?”

 

“I know right?” He knew they didn’t understand him sometimes so he nodded anyways, unsure. “She’s been a bit off since Joohyun unnie and her had their fight last week.”

 

He barked understandingly before daring to ask, “what did they fight about?”

 

Aunt Wan blinked at him. She could have sworn the dog... nodded? God she needed rest. She continued her monologue anyways, waiting for her goodies to turn brownish. “I think Joohyun unnie called her a cheater and then Seulgi got upset and then...well...she sulked for a while. She didn’t feel like she had to apologize to unnie though, because yeah, she didn’t mean to forget about their anniversary after all... but Joohyun unnie doesn’t want to apologize either, so...”

 

Ginger barked, jumping animatedly at the revelation. This was too much stress for him, he thought, barking out loud again. This wasn’t the first time his second favourite couple acted like two tiny humans in elementary school before going back to making weird sounds in their bedroom so why were they making his favourite Aunt Wan worried because of them again? He barked angrily. How dare they make his favourite one stressed out because of their stupid fights?

 

He needed his Mama Tae to yell at them and make them stop this right now.

 

He needed a phone. Somebody get him a phone!

 

“Whoa, calm down Ginger,” Aunt Wan kneeled to caress him...yes, just a bit to the right please, noona. “What’s wrong?”

 

Everything, he wanted to tell her but she was smiling and she was really pretty and he wasn’t going to worry her more than she was already. He her face and she fell backwards on her derrière, laughing. Ginger wanted to smile at that but he couldn’t, he’s a dog, so he jumped on her and kissed her... a lot. She squealed happily.

 

“Okay, I get it, you’re happy, you’re happy,” she relented and the hot box made a cling! sound that made her more alert. She ushered him to the side so she could stand up. She looked happier. He liked her happy. He was happy when good people were happy. “Now, I know I promised Tiffany unnie not to give you sweets but... just muffins, right? You like Aunty Seungwan’s muffins!”

 

She continued her rant and he barked happily, his appetite renewed.

 

But before any of that, he needed to call Mama Tae and tell her she had to fix this weird thing with the Bear and the Rabbit. He barked at Aunt Wan to not worry before he ran off, leaving her to look after her sweets.

 

He’ll help her later if she needed him... because of course she was his favourite and he liked her a lot. And muffins were important to him.

 

 

-

 

 

Ginger was a wise, good boy. He wasn’t afraid to say it...bark it to the world, unlike Prince who was too insecure for his own good. He needed to teach that white fluffy young boy how to carry himself just like he taught his Mama Tae to ignore people’s hurtful comments about her.

 

She was indeed the best human in the whole univers, after all.

 

Anyways. He was a wise good boy. That’s why he knew when to get over his disagreements with other people when alliance was needed. And right now, he needed alliance with the two evils since he didn’t really have a phone. Unfortunately for him, that meant being near them without Aunt Wan’s protection. Man these girls made him work. He’ll get his much deserved sleep after this, he promised himself as he approached his biggest fears...who were in the form of two Red Velvet maknaes resting in the living room.

 

He jumped on the table and looked at them both, having earned their attention immediately. “I’m ready to say sorry if you say sorry first,” he barked at them, thinking of that one time he ate Evil Soo’s muffin as some kind of revenge. She didn’t like it, of course, but he didn’t care. He’d say sorry.

 

“What do you need, little thing?” Cooed the Evilest of All Evils, the ultimate maknae. She was smiling. Why was she smiling? He narrowed his eyes.

 

“Yeah, Ginger, wassup?” Evil Soo’s voice was a bit strained and he looked up to find she looked a bit pale. He frowned. Why was the strongest of all looking so weak?

 

“Are you okay?” He asked. He was just a bit worried...because that’s what good boys do. They worry. He turned to Evil Yeri, studying her concerned scowl as she combed the sick looking girl’s hair. “Is she going to live?”

 

“I’m sorry boy, not to day,” replied the latter and...he whimpered an ‘I’m sorry too, noonas,’ thinking now that she apologized to him, he needed to do so too. But she continued. “We’ll play later, okay? When Sooyoung feels a bit better.”

 

Now that was alarming. He looked at them and they did look tired, and pale, just like Mama Tae looked after one of her too long concerts but even worse. He didn’t like to see them like this. He barked, “yes, okay, we can do that.” He could wait, and he could find a way with the Bear and the Rabbit on his own like the good, wise boy he was. “Do you need anything? I can bring Aunt Wan. Aunt Wan makes everything better. I can kiss you.”

 

“It’s okay, it’s just a cold,” groans Evil Soo, turning to bury her face in Evil Yeri’s stomach before bringing her blanket over her head. Ginger saw her shivering and he jumped instantly, settling on her legs to give her some warmth.

 

“I’ll stay for a bit,” he whimpered sadly, thinking he’d love to have superpowers to heal them. He watched a lot of medical drama shows with Grumpy Sica’s Grumpy Sister Krystal but he didn’t know how to hold a scalpel with his paws. He snuggled closer, hearing her laugh a little. “I’ll give you my muffin if you get better soon.”

 

Of course, he still had to get over Rabbit and Bear’s problems but for now, he’d opted for staying with the two devils. He actually liked them when they didn’t make him wear weird stuff.

 

 

-

 

 

Since he couldn’t exactly call Mama Tae, he decided on taking the matter in his own han...paws. Sure enough, he just had to talk to the alpha of Red Velvet and tell her to stop being mean to Big Bear. But her door was closed and she hadn’t come out of her room since yesterday. Not even to greet him. Or to eat.

 

Greeting him was more important than food, of course.

 

So he went to talk some sense in the Bear, since she was the easiest to deal with. He liked her as much as he liked Aunt Wan but he was still frustrated she didn’t greet him like she usually did, you know, by hugging him to death and kissing him and rolling on the floor with him like best buddies do.

 

He did whimper to alert her of his presence first. She was fragile for a bear and easily startled. Then he jumped on her on the bed, a bit proud to see her smile for the first time since he was with them. Then she turned sad again. He barked, “why are you here on your own?”

 

“I missed you too, Ginger-ah. Sorry I didn’t come play with you.”

 

“Good, but that’s not the point,” he remarked, putting his paws on her face. He barked. “Don’t say sorry to me, say it to your alpha.”

 

“I’m not sad, and I know I’m acting weird,” she told him, looking really, really sad. “It’s just Joohyun unnie... she said I was the worst girlfriend ever, you know? And I just.. need to... think this through first.”

 

“She’s crazy,” he barked his agreement. He wondered if she knew she was crazy too for dating someone as crazy as Small Rabbit. “But you can... tolerate her,” he added, remembering the word tolerate from one of his Mamas many arguments.

 

“Look, you can stay here and listen to music with me or you can go play with Yerim so you can keep company to Sooyoung, she’s sick,” she pondered out loud, feeling a bit guilty as she spoke. “I bought her meds... I hope she’s okay now.”

 

“She’s not going to die, I kissed her,” he said, because his kisses did wonder to Giant Soo when she was ill. Anyways, Ginger was not going to settle for that. He needed to fix this, not listen to music. Even if he wanted to. He looked around, having a perfect plan drawing in his mind before he... found it! He her hand to say sorry in advance before biting the bunny toy she was cuddling with. He knew it was the Bear’s favourite since Small Rabbit offered it to her. He ran away. Really fast. He heard her yell at him before running after him but he was faster and when he arrived to the alpha’s room, he stumbled into it, knocking himself on it repeatedly but carefully to not hurt himself.

 

Because he was such a good boy and he didn’t want to worry others.

 

The commotion did make the leader open her door just as Big Bear halted to a stop before them, looking baffled to see her mate standing there. He saw her eyes light up then dim and he felt sad, he thought his plan was perfect but he didn’t think it’d be this hard. He was tired, too, and all of this was making him hungry again.

 

“Now talk,” he barked, letting the toy on the floor and insisting since they were both pretty dumb two legged creatures and they needed his perfect advices. “Be a good alpha and talk to the Bear, she’s sad!”

 

“What’s going on?” Small Rabbit asked, looking at Aunt Wan as she came to check on them. He barked at his favourite one to help him out.

 

“He’s trying to... make you two talk it out?” She said, and he barked a yes! that made her blink at the fighting couple. “I think he wants you two to stop fighting?”

 

“Don’t we all,” he growled sarcastically. He looked at them impatiently. “Now each other’s mouth...or something.”

 

The Small Rabbit rolled her eyes. “Right.”

 

“Joohyun unnie,” the Big Bear said and looked like she didn’t really want to say that out loud. He whimpered an encouragement, knowing bears were the bravest after all. “He didn’t mean to disturb you...”

 

Right,” replied the leader, tone so sharp it made Ginger take a step back. She looked upset, like she was waiting for an opportunity to lash out. “And you didn’t mean to forget about our first anniversary, isn’t it?”

 

The younger girl looked thrown off guard, her sadness seeping out of as she stumbled with her words, “w-what?” She blinked, “I told you I was sorry about it – of course I didn’t mean to forget, Joohyun!”

 

“How is it I never forget about this?”

 

“I always remember these sort of things too! This was one time, and I am sorry, unnie.”

 

“Because you were too busy flirting with YooA and Somi and everybody else but me, that’s why!” noted the alpha bunny sharply, taking a step towards the girl with dangerous eyes. The Bear mirrored the action, too, although looking uncertain and teary.

 

Ginger didn’t like this. It smelled like disaster and... muffins.

 

“You only think about yourself, Kang Seulgi!”

“I know I’m not enough for you but you didn’t have to say it, unnie!”

 

They shouted at the same time, successfully drowning every sound in the dorm to a stop. The two devils came to check on them too, having heard their loud voices, and Aunt Wan took the dog into her arms, not wanting the poor boy to be startled although she, herself, felt pretty out of it. They glared at each other for a few milliseconds and that’s all it took for the Bear to burst into tears, looking at the toy on the floor and shaking her head.

 

“You’re... so good at this and I’ve never dated anyone before you, I at this,” she whimpered and the good dog jumped out of the embrace, whimpering to tell her not to cry because good bears were like good boys, they were brave and strong. He wanted to cry too, though. “I remembered the anniversary a week before and I planned to get you a gift... I don’t know how it slipped out of my mind...”

 

“It’s okay,” he barked, thinking about all the times he forgot things. Like to kiss Mama Pany goodnight or to wake up Prince in the morning when he was too excited. He’s still a good boy despire that!

 

“I love you,” declared the bear, looking up with a sad sniff. He wanted to wipe those tears off... or her face until she smiled brightly. “I know you deserve better than... this. Me.” she added, shaking her head. Ginger wanted to scoff because he knew for a fact that bears were the best thing ever in the whole universe of best things. “It’s actually really harder to hear you say that I’m the worst girlfriend, to you, than it is for me to think it.” She sniffed again, this time trying to smile at the girls. “Don’t worry, we’ll fix this later, it won’t affect us as a group,” she explained, shaking her hands dismissively and avoiding her girlfriend’s softer gaze. “I’ll just... we’ll talk about this later, Irene unnie, right? In private.”

 

Even he flinched at the use of the stage name. Because Mama Tae only called other two legged creatures by their stage names when she was too angry. When the Bear turned around to leave and the Rabbit said nothing, he barked loudly at her, going behind her to push her in the same direction the crying girl went. “Go fix this or I’ll bite your ankle,” he threatened angrily. These humans were really dumb, he thought, and he had no energy to deal with this right now.

 

“Ginger.” Chastised Aunt Wan. She was too kind to push anyone to their limits, he knew. So he only barked louder, until the alpha finally moved. “See?” he turned to Aunt Wan, actually proud of himself for being so patient and great at this. He was a good boy, after all.

 

He did want her to pat him for his nice work, but then again he had to make sure this ended well.

 

He followed the leader in the room just before she closed the door.

 

“Seulgi,” she began, approaching the trembling form on the bed. He stopped panting and sat on the floor with glassy eyes. He loved this couple a lot, damnit. “Baby.”

 

“Joohyun unnie, not now,” the Bear hiccupped although not fighting off her lover when she took her in her arms. “Please.”

 

“I don’t want this to get even bigger than this,” explained the leader, letting a kiss on her girlfriend’s lips. Ginger put his paws on his eyes quickly. “Sseul-ah, I’m sorry. Please look at me. Sweetness.”

 

“Unnie,” he heard, taking one paw off to see if it’s safe again for his innocent eyes. “I know I’m in the wrong here, yeah? I’m sorry I’m making this about me. Again. I just need to get a grasp, to think this over—”

 

“But it is about you,” the alpha cut her off and Ginger nodded, thinking about how this was about both of them, together. He knew a great deal about love, after all. Because good boys know a lot of stuff. “I didn’t mean what I said. I promise. You’re the best thing that happened to me, Sseul.”

 

“But I am, so bad at this... I’m sorry I forgot. I’m sorry I made you feel like I cared about other girls more than I do about you.”

 

Ginger nodded, watching the exchange with great interest. His advices are the best.

 

“You’re the best girlfriend ever, Kang Seulgi,” the Rabbit flickered the Bear’s head, making the latter smile a bit. The dog reflected about how all of this is weird...who smile when they get hit? “Don’t doubt that. It’s not your fault if you were busy and it’s not your fault if I got jealous... it’s just that you spent the day with YooA and it was supposed to be our special day... ”

 

“I’m really sorry, unnie. I love you.”

 

“I know, I love you too.”

 

He saw Rabbit smiling that beautiful smile of hers. His ears perked up at that and he stood up, looking pleased for a second.

 

“You’re the only one for me, Joohyun.”

“I know, baby. I missed you.”

 

Oh. Oh no. Mouths! His eyes!

 

“I missed you too. I really missed you a lot, Joohyun unnie.”

“Hm...”

 

He barked. Not angrily, but a lot. He barked and ran around to distract them because he didn’t really like having to watch them do stuff with their mouths and he jumped around, telling them, “stop!”

 

“Yah, Ginger!” the alpha yelled with frustration but Big Bear laughed loudly and that made him actually stop and look at them.  She had tears in her eyes but she was smiling. He barked happily before jumping on bed, tackling her on the bed and her face because it was only okay if he did the kissing here. Because good boys get kisses.

 

Then he jumped on the Rabbit, thinking he didn’t want her to be jealous again.

 

She yelled and laughed at the same time, it made him pant happily.

 

 

-

 

 

“...And you didn’t even leave me one muffin,” he barked, walking in circles on the table as he pleaded his case to the five girls who were huddled in the living room around a less pale Sooyoung. They listened with great interest. “I did a lot for you, you women! I deserved food and rest but no! My muffins!”

 

“Is he angry?” wondered the Rabbit as she hugged her girlfriend closer. Said girlfriend nodded, looking a bit sad for admitting it. She brought their intertwined hands to her lips. “I think he’s angry Sooyoung ate all the muffins.”

 

“Yes!” he growled, stopping to shake his head at her. “And here I thought you and Aunt Wan were the best people after my pack.” Because yes, Girls’ Generation were his pack and he and his Mama Tae were the alphas. Of course. I was a good boy!” Aunt Wan looked at him and he whimpered, “how dare you, noona?”

 

“Do we stop torturing him, or...?” Asked Evil Yeri because she actually felt sorry he had to deal with all the drama.

 

“Let him rant a bit more,” snickered the leader teasingly. He did give her a hard time earlier when she only wanted to kiss her girlfriend.

 

“That’s it!” he stopped walking, turning his head away. “I can’t believe this. I’m never coming back here.”

 

And he actually closed his eyes, sulking so hard he didn’t notice the plate Evil Soo put on the table in one swift movement, the item full of muffins made à la Wendy. When he did sniff the good smell her peeked in front of him and barked in surprise when he found the sweets. He whimpered, “oh my God! How?”

 

“Eat well,” laughed the Bear and he didn’t really need her to tell him that. He’d already started to feast on the treats by the time she started talking. “Ah, good boy.”

 

“Ow yes, good, good boy,” patted him Aunt Wan because...well, she was the best ever.

 

“I love you girls,” he barked at them after swallowing like the very good boy he indeed was because he knew talking with a full mouth was gross. “Sometimes.”

 

 

-

 

 

“Is he ready?” came the voice he missed so, so much.

 

“Yes, he’s just... talking with Joohyun and Sooyoung unnie.”

 

“Oh?” Mama Tae didn’t look surprised at Evil Yeri’s declaration. She got inside the house and he looked back up at the two women, not giving his owner all of his attention just yet.

 

“Don’t fall sick again,” he continued, worrying his throat might hurt him if he stayed in this house a little bit longer. “And don’t make other people worried, especially my favourite one. Don’t make the Bear cry, she’s my best friend,” he barked, panting and looking at the said girl who waved at him with big smiles with Aunt Wan. He’ll miss them. He looked back at the two culprits he was chastising because... he wanted them to be good boys...girls...too. “Stay safe and maybe If I’m crazy enough I’ll visit. Maybe with Prince.”

 

“Okay Ginger,” laughed Mama Tae and looked at the girls. “I think they learned their lesson.”

 

“Maybe,” he growled lowly, unsure if he trained them well yet. They were stubborn two legged creatures and he could only do so much.

 

“Prince misses you,” his owner began again, crossing her arms and smiling at the cute, special display of affection he was showing in his own ways. “Ppany too. I missed you. Wanna go home already, Ginger-ah?”

 

“Yes!” he barked quickly, then barked “no” instead, feeling pretty weird. He was confused. And he didn’t like leaving Aunt Wan with the bullies. He panted, thinking about how he really hated the stress he felt being around these crazies. Then, a great idea came to his mind. He ran into Big Bear’s embrace and her cheek before barking. “You’re the one I trust. Please protect my favourite one for me, and don’t cry again. Take care of them because you’re the real alpha and... they’re crazy!”

 

“I’ll miss you too Ginger-ah,” confessed the Bear, smiling with tears begging to be shed. Aunt Wan did that too, coming closer to pat him and he her cheek, too.

 

“You two are my favourite but don’t tell,” he whimpered secretly. Though it was obvious he liked her a lot. He did bark it a lot to Prince and Mama Tae.

 

And it took him a few minutes but he eventually left his new pack to go back to his old pack. In the car, he only cried a little...a lot...but it was okay because big good boys cried too. Anyways, he thought, he needed to rest and to eat well to gain his lost strength. He felt like he was coming back home after war: he was a warrior.

 

Yes. Yes he was.

 

“There,” Mama Tae said, eyes on the road and fingers turning on the radio. She drove coolly. Like an alpha. He wondered if he found Red Velvet’s alpha, Small Rabbit, cool too. Sometimes, he decided. “This is the noonas’ new song, you know?”

 

“Yes,” he barked indignantly. He’s been waiting for it forever, even if he didn’t really like red flavours. Wait. “What’s a red flavour, Mama Tae?”