Seven Billion People and I Just Want You

Seven Billion People

It had been some time since Jin Hee had a normal day on campus. She had been spending most of her time settling errands for the upcoming annual dinner for the Dentistry Department and if she's not running around the campus doing those, she's probably stuck in the library settling group projects.

 

She likes being on the busy side, it lets her take things off her mind - not that she had many of those, but it's nice to not think of things for a while.

 

But she had her 'time' back, that day. No more scurrying around all over the place to get things done. Things were moving smoothly and it's only three nights before the annual dinner. Normally things would've been really hectic and she would be begging God for more hours in a day but somehow, God bless, she had nothing up her schedule. She had decided to ditch the library for some me-time and by me-time, she meant sleep time.

 

Walking all the way up to her dorm, Jin Hee was secretly thanking God for gifting her with such a peaceful day - nothing to rush on and no one to rush her. She shoved her key up the knob and she was already mentally planning on what to do after she woke up, when she heard someone calling her name.

 

"Jin Hee?"

 

She turned around, leaving her keys at the knob.

 

"Oh hello, Namjoon! What are you doing here?"

 

(( Namjoon was Jin Hee's classmate since her foundation days and they were always sharing the same circle of friends. They have been flirting with each other, but that's that- mere flirting. No one made any effort to go past that, and in fact no one bothered to do so in the first place. They were probably more comfortable with the useless flirting phase. ))

 

By the look on her face, Namjoon could tell that she forgot about it and he couldn't hide the disappointment.

 

God damn it, she looked so tired and weak. Did life get out of her? She looks so disheveled.

 

"You- uhm- you said we should go get coffee today. So uhm-"

 

"I did?" She scratched the back of her head.

 

"Yeah, yesterday you said we should go get coffee together tomorrow.. And today is.. um... tomorrow,"

 

He wanted to strangle himself right there. Where had all the courage went to? Five minutes earlier he was this cool man waiting for his date to arrive and now he's this gibberish wreck.

 

"Ah, I guess I did,"

 

Namjoon was thinking, she is probably pondering things like when did I ask this sloppy man out, wHEN???? - or - What a fool, I didn't mean it literally- why are you hERE?!?!?!??

 

"Oh well, let's just go out for coffee then,"

 

His train of thoughts snapped.

 

"Huh?"

 

"Let's just have coffee! Do you know a good place?"

 

"In fact, I do," he sighed in relief. At least there's no rejection.

 

"Lead the way then,"

 

But Jin Hee was also thinking, well there goes my sleep.

 

They were walking together to this Rooftop Cafe that he suggested because apparently they make the best caramel macchiato, according to him.

 

Silence stretched between them and Jin Hee wasn't one to stand awkward silences. So she complimented his choice of clothing out of nowhere, "I like what you're wearing today, Namjoon. Very sharp- smart, too,"

 

She probably didn't mean it. She probably said so because it was awkward. Yes, she didn't mean it.

 

"Is my everyday fashion that bad, Jin?"

 

She gave his outfit a good shot and said, "Is this not your everyday fashion?"

 

"I don't really wear dress shirts to class,"

 

"Oh. Maybe you should wear it to class. You look dashing," she stretched her left hand to skim the rim of his starched shirt. "Very dashing,"

 

Namjoon swore his heart stopped beating for a second there. The proximity was one thing, her actions were another.

 

How can she be so casual about it?!?!?!?!?

 

"We're- we're here," he said, squaring up his shoulder. I shall not falter.

 

They walked up the stairs to the cafe and as the name brings, it literally is a cafe on the rooftop overlooking the whole campus.

 

"I didn't know this campus had such a beautiful place, Joon!"

 

"You’re welcome," he smirked, and excused himself to order coffees for both of them while Jin Hee went to pick a table.

 

She sat at the table by the window so that they could enjoy the view of the campus at night. The streetlights were illuminating the streets in such a breathtaking manner, Jin Hee couldn't take her eyes off of it.

 

Namjoon sat across her with two cups of caramel macchiato and a chocolate banana muffin on a tray. "Beautiful, ain't it?"

 

"Absolutely! I am actually really glad I ditched some sleep time for this,"

 

"You were about to go to sleep?"

 

"Yes, actually. I feel so zombified this whole week because of that stupid dinner so I thought I'd hit the sack early tonight," she chuckled.

 

"I am sooo sorry, Jin! I did, for a second, thought you looked like life was out of you when I saw you just now, though. Should not have told you if I knew. Sorry!"

 

She broke into a huge laughter, "I do, don't I? But all is fine, Joon, no worries. This view makes up for everything!"

 

"I always come by when I'm stressed out, actually,"

 

"Why, so you could jump off this rooftop?" she joked.

 

"Hah. Good one. This night view somehow takes my fatigue away, you know. I feel so refreshed after I leave this place,"

 

She stretched her hands up in the air and took in one deep breath, "Matter of fact, I feel so energized now. Not tired anymore,"

 

 

"Are you sure it's because of this place and not the company you're having, Jin?" he asked playfully.

 

"Ooh, ambitious," she answered, while taking a sip of her coffee.

 

They exchanged thoughts on classes, how stressful they were and even agreed to share their anatomy notes with each other. She learned that he had this habit of fiddling with his fingers when he got lost for words and when she caught him off guard, he lets out this breathy laugh that probably came from the pit of his stomach because it sounded more like a growl than an actual laugh. He, too, notices that she loves talking so much that for one second he wondered how depressed she would be if she were born mute. She went from talking about how the Program Manager was a "douchebag with no leadership qualities who probably got his position through his looks," to talking about geopolitics.

 

She was excitedly talking about the climate and how no one is doing anything to fix it when he called her out- "Jin Hee?"

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Can I ask you a question?"

 

"Go ahead," she breathed in, as if collecting herself back again.

 

"This is really random but uh- if I ever jump off this rooftop, will you jump with me?"

 

She burst out laughing, she almost fell off her chair. "Number one, we're not filming a movie here. Number two, my life is precious. Number three, I don't want to die as a murder ally,"

 

"So the answer is no?"

 

"If that isn't obvious then I don't know what is. Now okay uh, can we get back to talking about the world climate? It's more important than you jumping off a building,"

 

He chuckled, and motioned with his hand to let her go on.

 

"But- side note, do not jump off a building. Your life is precious,"

 

"To you? Or to the community?" he tried.

 

"To your parents, Namjoon. Pity your old folks man, come on!"

 

He breathed. "Shots fired, Madame,"

 

"I'm sorry you lost the battle, my knight!" The twinkle of sadistic amusement gleaming from her grin is distinct.

 

They talked the night out. When the barista approached them to tell them that it was fifteen minutes to closing time, they apologetically left the cafe with him nagging her for talking non stop.

 

He offered to walk her back to her dorm since it was almost 12, but she wanted to go for a walk around the park although he insisted that it's late and he's tired. "Please, for God's sake. I'm in such a good mood, I don't feel like sleeping early tonight, Namjoon,"

 

"Fine," he gave in, "But only for one round. I'm worn out,"

 

"Worn out?! All you did was drink coffee and listen to me ramble. How can you be tired?"

 

"Have you sat on your for five hours and just listen to one person talk about the world climate? It can be pretty tiring. Take it from me, I've had experience,"

 

"Oh my goodness, my sass has gotten into you! I didn't know it was contagious! Let's get you hospitalized! You can't handle all that sass! What if you pass out?!" she joked and they both burst out laughing.

 

He checked his cellphone for the time and it read 11:59. He turned to her and couldn't help but smile. She looked like a lost five year old at an amusement park. She kept walking forward but her eyes were fixated on the night sky.

 

"It's already midnight,"

 

"So? Am I going to disappear and leave my shoe here for Prince Charming, or what?"

 

"You have no fear, do you?"

 

She hooked her arm onto his and clung onto it dramatically, "I have my prince here, so it's okay,"

 

He breathed and held in a sigh. He kept quiet for a moment but when he saw her looking up at him questioningly, he had to say something.

 

"Can I ask you something?" he stuttered.

 

"Namjoon, I will not jump off a building with you or for you,"

 

"I'm serious this time," The tone in his voice changed.

 

"What is it? Do you want to sit and talk?" She dragged him to the bench that was right underneath a street lamp.

 

Once they were seated, she said, "Go on, Joon. What is it?"

 

He skittered along the lines of hesitation but figured that he should just get it over and done with it.

 

"Jin," he begun, hesitation clear in his voice, "I need you to give me a time limit,"

 

"Whatever for?"

 

"For when all this should stop,"

 

"All of what?"

 

"All of this that we have between us,"

 

"You want me to put a time limit to our friendship?" she was puzzled.

 

"Friendship?" he snorted. "Look, Jin, we've been flirting with each other since the day we met. You started it first, don't deny it. And then the moment I start falling for you, you back out and leave me hanging. I need to know when to stop. I can't do it on my own. Give me a time limit,"

 

Her gaze flicked uncertainly up the contours of his sharp collarbones, tanned flesh and defined jaws. There was an invisible, enormous weight on his shoulders and he looked like he was wearing a veil of lethargy.

 

"Namjoon, look," she wanted to look at him while she explained but due to the glaring fixation, she settled her eyes on his shoulders. Before she could even continue, he cut her off-

 

"I don't need an explanation, Jin. It's entirely my fault for not knowing when to draw the line. But it's hard on me. At least help me by telling me where this is going,"

 

She tucked a loose strand of her hair behind her ear and said, "Where do you want it to go?"

 

"Jin, you've got enough of me to break my heart. I know you know where I want it to go,"

 

"Namjoon-" she was mentally arranging words in her head while digesting this bomb that he dropped.

 

"I'm done chasing you. I'm tired of it,"

 

"What now?"

 

"I'll do what you want me to do. I'll stop if you want me to,"

 

Jin Hee kept her composure while she thought about it. "Can I ask you a question then, Joon?"

 

"Yeah,"

 

"How? Why?"

 

"That's two questions, Jin,"

 

"Just answer me,"

 

He stretched his arms and then begun, "How did I fall for you? That's easy, have you seen your reflection in the mirror? Yeah, that. And then when-"

 

Jin Hee cut him off. "You fell for my looks? Not for my being?"

 

"Isn't that how the world runs, though? You go for looks and you stay for the personality. You try and find your equal,"

 

What a smart answer. Nice dodge.

 

"Go on,"

 

"Why, huh? This may take a long time. Do you want me to submit a 50 page thesis paper complete with citations by this Friday?"

 

Ah, there's the Joon I know.

 

"Tell me the truth, Joon. Jokes aside. A woman needs to get the confession right before she makes up her mind," she laughed. Somehow the tension stretched and still hung between them.

 

"Jin Hee, we both rarely be around each other, but somehow I'm always gravitated towards you. You've never known about it though, but I really like being around you. You're always in your own bubble, so you never notice me going around you, but I always do. I mean, uh how do I put this-"

 

Butterflies? Huh, she felt the whole zoo in her stomach.

 

"Joon. Before anything, I need you to know something,"

 

"What? Wait, you're not married and pregnant with your fifth child, are you?"

 

A playful slap landed on his shoulder when both of them started laughing.

 

"Joon, I take these things seriously. I don't just date anyone. I date to marry. So if you're going to break out in cold sweat at the mention of commitments then you can take your leave. I'm not the girl you want,"

 

"Every single time I send you home, I get stuck at the border of 'Don't go' and 'Good night'. So Jin, if you think that getting up and leaving is something I would do, then-,"

 

Seeing as to how she was still hesitating, he chuckled and looked up to the night sky jaded with stars and sighed, "God, there are seven billion people in the world and you made me fall in love with a girl who won't love me back. Just my luck, huh?"

 

"Seven billion people, you say?"

 

He scoffed, "Of all the things I said, you caught onto that one? Typical,"

 

"Seven billion?"

 

He nodded.

 

"Well then, seven billion people in the world and I choose you, Kim Namjoon,"