Chapter 3

Of Labs and Love Songs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Disclaimer: Derogatory phrases/words in the context of bullying ahead.

 

“Did you see it? Did you see it? It’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever set eyes on!” Chanyeol streaked through the hallways, mowing over everyone in the vicinity and dragging Sehun behind him, long limbs flailing like jellyfish tentacles.

“Hyung, at this rate only my arm’s going to see whatever you’re freaking out over, not the rest of me,” Sehun complained. “Slow down, geez! It hurts!”

Chanyeol ignored him, or maybe he just couldn’t hear his best friend over the sound of his own excited shrieks. “I told you, I told you she doesn’t hate me!” Stopping next to his locker, he dumped Sehun unceremoniously in a heap on the floor and rattled the lock. “My hands are shaking so much, I can’t even enter my combination properly! Do it for me, Sehun!

Long-suffering, the tall blonde sighed. He was only doing this because today was Chanyeol’s birthday, he told himself, entering the combination and yanking the locker open. “I don’t - sweet Jesus, what the hell is that?”

“It’s a Clumsy Smurf plushie!” exclaimed Chanyeol cheerfully. “Get it? Get it?”

Sehun shook his head slowly, unable to remove his eyes from the creepy blue doll sitting in his friend’s locker. “Can’t say I do, hyung.”

Chanyeol was almost bouncing up and down now, grin stretching from ear to ear. “Because she’s Grouchy Smurf, and she sent me a picture and told me to tag myself, and I said Clumsy Smurf because I’m me and duh, obviously I’m Clumsy Smurf, and so then I opened my locker this morning and this was waiting for me because it’s my birthday, and -”

“Wait, wait, hold on,” Sehun interrupted. “You mean Choi Haneul gave this to you?”

“Yes!” Chanyeol sent him an impatient glance before gushing on. “And she even included a little card! I mean, it doesn’t have anything written on it and I think it came free with the plushie, or maybe it’s just a scrap sheet of paper from my homework that floated over to the plushie, but -”

“How did she even get into your locker?” his friend asked incredulously. “Chanyeol, are you positive Haneul sent this to you? Not anyone else?” Like a certain Finstagrammer who’s out to get you, maybe?

“I bribed the TA who works in the office with free tutoring sessions in exchange for Chanyeol’s combination,” Haneul admitted, popping up from behind them and nearly stopping Sehun’s heart. “But don’t tell anyone. She’s not supposed to give out locker combinations, and I don’t want her getting into trouble for this.”

Chanyeol grinned. “Aw, look at you almost getting into trouble for me.”

“Dude, she almost got someone else into trouble for you, not herself,” Sehun pointed out, only to receive a swat and a warning glare from his taller friend.

“I just wanted to give you something for your birthday, and it was either this or a gift card for more pilates classes, so…” Haneul picked at an invisible piece of lint on her skirt and looked down, uncharacteristically shy. “Happy birthday, Chanyeol.”

Watching his friend’s grin grow, Sehun thought Chanyeol might explode with happiness. He’s so whipped.

“Oh, there you are!” Haneul panted, rounding the corner at full speed and spotting Sehun at his locker. The blonde raised an eyebrow. He had left her with the birthday boy a mere five minutes ago.

“I wasn't expecting your conversation with Chanyeol hyung to be so short,” he remarked. “I hope you didn't end it prematurely by insulting his intelligence again.”

Haneul frowned, hurt. “No, he had to go to an appointment with his academic advisor and Mr. Do to confirm his summer school enrollment. And I just wanted to ask you if you'd gotten a chance to talk to Jieqiong yet.”

“Yeah, things took a weird turn with her.” Sehun snorted. “Apparently she was trying to photobomb as a joke, but Joonmyun spotted her at the last second and turned his camera so only her hand made it into the shot.”

“Joonmyun? Kim Joonmyun is the mystery photographer?” Haneul asked, aghast. Joonmyun, the president and chief photographer of Yearbook Club, was essentially her male counterpart in terms of academic success; he had perfect grades, perfect manners, and a perfectly kind and helpful attitude that made him much more popular amongst the student body than Haneul, who had a reputation, unwarranted or not, for being elitist and judgmental. “I can't believe it!”

“He is the photographer, but he's probably not the Finstagrammer.” Sehun closed his locker and turned around. “I talked to him last night. Apparently he was curious how Chanyeol hyung even managed to turn our solution purple, so he took a photo of our flask to study on his own.” Joonmyun still hadn’t figured out how Chanyeol’s mistake was physically possible using the materials they’d had, a fact Sehun would have found absolutely hysterical if he didn’t have a big, fat zero in the gradebook to sober him right back up.

“And you're sure he wasn't lying?” Haneul narrowed her eyes.

“I don't think so.” The boy shrugged. “He wouldn't shut up about what an intriguing mistake Chanyeol must have made to turn the solution purple instead of orange, and he sounded way too thrilled about chemistry and pH and buffers to be lying.”

“So our Finstagrammer got access to Joonmyun’s photo somehow,” Haneul mused. “Perhaps a friend on social media?”

“But that's the weirdest part,” Sehun said, forehead creasing. “Joonmyun swears he didn't post the photo anywhere on social media. He only had it on his camera this whole time, the one he uses for yearbook photography, and we all know he carries that thing around with him all day. He's terrified of losing it and getting fined by the school, since the camera’s technically Yearbook Club property.”

Haneul furrowed her brows. “Are Yearbook Club members allowed to take their cameras home overnight?” At Sehun’s helpless shrug, she sighed. “Well, I don't think they are. In that case, there must be some sort of storage room for the cameras. If I can find out who had access to that room, then I’ve got a suspect list!”

Still processing his lab partner’s rapid-fire line of reasoning, the boy paused. “Wait, what?”

“Oh, never mind!” Impatient, Haneul whirled around and darted off, making a beeline for Yearbook Club headquarters.

Sehun frowned, insulted. “Why, thank you for the information, Sehun,” he called sarcastically after her. “You’re so helpful! Thank you for your contributions. I really appreciate it!”

Receiving no response, he shook his head. This girl. She really thinks she’s smarter than everyone else, huh?

Chanyeol had never had one before, but he thought he might actually be having a panic attack. Where is it? Oh, God, I had it with me, I know I did! It was in my backpack this entire time; I’d never let it out of my sight!

The world swirled dangerously, edges of his vision closing in on him, and he struggled to slow his racing heart and panting breath. His appointment to discuss summer school had ended five minutes ago, but instead of heading off to first period like everyone else, Chanyeol was racing frantically around the school, sticking his head into trashcans and searching the rapidly emptying hallways for a single sheet of manuscript paper. The heaviness in his chest crushed his ribs more forcefully with each additional second.  Where is it?

The worst part was that he had almost completely finished Haneul’s love song before it had mysteriously disappeared. The notes and the rhythm had been finalized, but the lyrics were still lacking -- even he had to admit they sounded horribly cheesy and didn’t properly communicate the depth of his feelings. As much as Sehun thought his feelings for Haneul were infatuation and nothing more, Chanyeol really did like the girl as more than a fleeting crush. Sure, she was a little bossy at times, and sure, she tended to assume she was smarter than everyone else, but he could tell those traits were just Haneul struggling to maintain her identity and reputation as model student. Every high school student was guilty, at times, of trying too hard to become what he or she perceived others to expect of him or her, and Haneul was no different. Heavens knew Chanyeol often did the same, faking a smile even when he was sad just to match his “happy virus” persona at school.

What truly set Haneul apart in his heart was her strong belief in taking responsibility for one’s own actions. Although she had treated him cruelly in Chemistry, Chanyeol understood her motivations. Her words were harsh, biting even, but they were fair and impartial. The one time Haneul had messed up in lab, adding the wrong volume of a chemical to their mixture, she had apologized to her partners for weeks on end, beating herself up endlessly, and she’d negotiated with Mr. Do to take off points from her grade, not her partners’, for the mistake she had made. Her moral compass was steady, unyielding, a trait rarely found in the adult world, let alone in a high school, and Chanyeol respected her all the more for it.

That admiration was what he wanted to communicate through his song, not infatuation, and he had been so close to finding the right words to express it, but now the only draft he had was missing in action.

You have to find it, Chanyeol!

Chanyeol arrived to Music Composition nearly thirty minutes late, a fact Mr. Kim took time out of his lesson to point out. “Just because you’re good at composing and music theory doesn’t mean you can be truant,” the teacher warned. “Do it again, and I’m knocking a percentage point off your grade.”

Mustering up a fake grin and a murmured apology, the boy slumped into his seat behind Haneul, ignoring the concerned glance she shot him. It had taken him a long time to calm down and realize that if he hadn’t found the paper yet, he probably wouldn’t find it any time soon. All he could hope was that no one would find the song before him.

Bzzzzz. The soft vibration against his leg pulled him from his reverie.

From: Grouchy Smurf

To: Clumsy Smurf

Hey, you OK? Did something happen with your academic advisor? You looked kinda upset.

A tiny smile, this time genuine, tugged at Chanyeol’s lips. She noticed.

From: Clumsy Smurf

To: Grouchy Smurf

Wow, model student Choi Haneul is texting during class? What a scandal O.o

He heard a scoff in front of him, and his smile stretched wider.

From: Grouchy Smurf

To: Clumsy Smurf

Shut up. I’m only risking this for you because it’s your birthday. But seriously, you good?

Chanyeol thought for a moment, biting his lip, before writing his response.

From: Clumsy Smurf

To: Grouchy Smurf

Now I am :)

Haneul breathed out in relief, tucking her phone back in her pocket and raising her head to face the board once again. Standing directly in front of her, Mr. Kim arched an eyebrow at her, hand out and palm facing up.

“Phone, please,” the teacher ordered. “And you too, Chanyeol. Detention for both of you.” Haneul groaned.

After class, Chanyeol approached Haneul. “You’re not mad at me, right?” he asked timidly. The girl was preoccupied staring at her phone, which she’d only just received back from Mr. Kim.

“Why would I be mad at you?” she asked, finally looking up.

“Because I landed us both in detention.” He lowered his head shamefully, reminding Haneul of her puppy’s expression after it had pooped on her bed.

“No, that was my fault, too,” she pointed out. “I at texting discreetly in class. I was probably the one who made Mr. Kim take notice of us. Don’t worry about it; we can just have our usual tutoring session in detention instead of in the library today.”

Haneul’s oddly logical optimism being infectious, Chanyeol couldn’t help but smile. “OK,” he said simply. “See you then!”

The moment Chanyeol turned his back, Haneul unlocked her phone again, and her smile collapsed. This is really bad. I need to talk to Sehun.

Chasing after the long-legged blonde for the second time that day, Haneul cursed her parents for birthing her with such short limbs. “Sehun! Wait up, I need to talk to you!” she panted.

Her lab partner didn’t turn around. “What, I’m suddenly good enough for you to talk to now?”

She finally caught up, forcibly pulling on his backpack to make him stop. “What are you talking about?”

“I’m talking about you still being bossy and pretentious,” Sehun said, venom seeping into his voice. He turned and loomed over her, superior height giving him a distinct advantage. “I know I’m not as smart as you, and maybe I don’t realize things or come to conclusions as fast as you, but that does not mean you can just take information from me and then ditch me like that!”

Stunned, Haneul loosened her grip on his bag. “What?”

The boy eyed her, hefting his backpack out of her grasp. “Wow, maybe you really don’t even realize the way you treat people. You know what people say about you, right?”

The girl shrank, uncertainty flickering in her eyes. “You don’t have to say that.” Her voice shook, growing in pitch and volume. “I know people think I’m snotty and imperious. I’m trying my best to change how I talk to other people, but it’s hard, and I’d really appreciate it if you would just tell me what I did wrong instead of ignoring me and pushing me away!” Her lip wobbled dangerously.

Sehun groaned internally at the tears welling up in her eyes. Now I know why Chanyeol hyung said he panicked when she started crying. I’d rather take on another lab with hyung as my partner than one crying Haneul, any day.

“Don’t cry,” he said, trying to come across as authoritative but really sounding pathetic and  pleading instead. “I’m mad because you just took the information I gave you about Jieqiong and Joon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter