together forever

Past, Present, Future

 

woohyun gazes at chorong. he remembers the first time he met fourteen years ago. the nervous look that she has on her face now is just the same as the one she had back then. he remembers everything that day; how she tried her best to control her tears as she watched her mother walking away, leaving her in the new surrounding that was unfamiliar to her. he remembers her as she took a seat not far away from him, clutching her lunch box and water bottle awkwardly.
 
"there's a cabinet in the kitchen where you can put your lunch box and bottle," he told her.
 
surprised, she looked up and met his eyes. "t-thank you,"
 
he flashes a smile. "my name is woohyun. nam woohyun. you?"
 
for an instance, she hesitated. she stared into his eyes, and soon her face softened and broke into a tiny smile. "i'm park chorong."
 
"from now on, i'll be your friend." woohyun held out his hand, and chorong reached for it.
 
 
 
 
 
he glanced over at chorong's book. so many questions left unanswered. she looked up at the clock hanging on the wall on her right and then looked out at window. worries were all over her face.
 
he knew what was troubling her.
 
"teacher!" he called out while raising his hand right after filling the final empty space. "i'm done with my work,"
 
"wah our woohyunie is so fast!" praised the teacher. she picked up his book and scanned his answers. "all correct answers too. good job!"
 
"can i go play now?"
 
she pat his head. "alright. go ahead."
 
with the speed of a lightning, he quickly cleaned his table and shoved everything into his bag. he ran to chorong and whispered to her right ear. "i'll save the swing for you,"
 
 
 
 
 
the bell signaling the break had gone off for almost ten minutes.
 
woohyun stood at the door patiently, watching her as she struggles to finish her work.
 
she stole a glance at him, her face full of guilt. "i'm sorry, woohyun ah. you don't have to wait for me. just go ahead and have your lunch."
 
sighing, he slowly entered the class and made his way to her table. "how can i eat this all by myself while you're here?" he asked as he took a seat facing her. he put down his lunch box and opened the cover to reveal the content.
 
"ah, it's chicken feet!" her eyes lighted up. "wait, give me ten minutes, no, five."
 
he laughed and picked up one of the chicken feets that she loves so much. "park chorong, fighting!"
 
 
 
 
 
"isn't that chorong?"
 
woohyun turned his head, following the direction his friend was pointing at. a smile was immediately carved on his face as soon as he caught just the sight of her back. he ran almost automatically towards her, but his steps came to an abrupt stop when he realized she wasn't alone.
 
standing opposite her was a charming looking boy he recognized as one of her classmates.
 
"aren't you going to say hi?" his friend asked.
 
he looked at his best friend. even from afar, he could see her smiling face, laughing at the things the boy had told her.
 
"it's alright." he replied, turning away.
 
 
 
 
 
the silence between them is tensed. woohyun avoids her eyes and instead fixes his empty gaze on the field next to them.
 
"i understand that there are things that you can't tell me. there are things that i can't tell you either," she says. "we grew up together, but i know that once in a while we need our own space. but this is not the way."
 
he can feel her eyes on him. the big, clear eyes of hers.
 
"best friends don't lie."
 
his gaze falls to the ground, and he slowly gathers his courage to meet chorong's eyes.
 
"i'm sorry." he says softly. "you see, the reason why i've been avoiding you is that..." carefully, he takes a step towards her, reducing the distance between them. "i like you. i've fallen in love with you."
 
she gasps. her eyebrows furrow. "woohyun ah..."
 
"you said best friends don't lie. best friends don't keep secrets from each other."  he continues. 'now here's the truth, i've fallen in love with my best friend. i love you, park chorong."
 
slowly, she walks forward and wraps her arms around him. "then, i guess i should tell you the truth as well. i love you too, nam woohyun."