That First Day of Spring

Utter Madness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I smile, recalling how stupid I was at that time. People usually regret something they shouldn’t have done, right? It is exactly the same case as mine. However, if I reconsider it more carefully, I shouldn’t have regretted it. Why? Because that’s what being alive is for. Experience and experiment. Plus, I kind of need to be thankful for that madness after all...
.
.
Shoes? Check. Skirt? Check. Blazer? Check. What else? Ah, breakfast! I quickly had a toast with orange juice, prepared by my lovely mom.

Chup.

“Bye mom, dad. I’m so late for school!” I shouted from the door.

I ran as fast as lighting to the bus stop. Phew, I made it on time. If only I arrived here ten seconds later, I wouldn’t be able to catch the bus. I turned my Walkman on. Found it odd? No, I wasn’t poor or something. I would say I was average and capable to buy iPod’s. But I love classics, which explained why a seven-year-old Walkman was still on my grip. And of course, the songs I listened to were mostly Green Day, Nirvana, those 90’s music. Not that I didn’t listen to nowadays’ music, but as what I had mentioned before, I love things with that classic vibe.

Instead of malls, I preferred taking a walk near museums. Instead of shopping, I hunted for photos. Instead of gossiping, I chose to have a cup of coffee at a café by the lake. So relaxing, I wouldn’t be bored to spend my holiday doing those activities.

Call me old, call me odd. I don’t care. I loved my life.

 

“Let me borrow it for a day,” a best friend of mine pointed at my Walkman in front of my classroom’s door.

“You had it yesterday, it’s my turn now.” I didn’t mention who the owner of this Walkman was right? Well, it was my best friend’s and mine. We shared the bill on this. Since seven years ago, we had a schedule of whose turn to bring the Walkman home. 

“But I really need it,” he pouted.

“For what, Kyungsoo?” I raised my eyebrows.

“Showing it off to my girlfriend. You see, she’s just like you. Obsessed with antique stuff. I was so dumb to think that there’s no girl beside you who likes those things because honestly? I find it odd,” he smiled sheepishly.

“What?” I scoffed, “Oh wow, and look at you, dating a girl like me. I want to laugh, eheh eheh.”

He ruffled his hair, “So, can I have it?”

“Treat me Domino’s Pizza then it’s yours,” I shrugged.

“Thanks, Ji! Love you,” Kyungsoo patted my crown before turning away to head for his class.

Kyungsoo, kyungsoo. What an innocent, doe-eyed penguin. He was my best friend since we were babies. Cliché, right? Two parents were best friends, their kids automatically became unseparated as well. But the cliché part of ‘a girl and a boy can’t be best friends’ didn’t occur to us. Because who said it was a must for a girl and a boy to have feelings for each other? 

I proceeded to my seat and dropped my weight on it. This was all because of Submarine. If only that movie didn’t have Alex Turner singing the OST’s, I wouldn’t stay up too late and hence, I wouldn’t be late for school.

Just before the teacher stepped into the classroom, I heard a commotion from next door. Shouts were heard, murmurs were created. It was something about ‘Oh, the bullies were back at it again’, ‘Who’s the victim for today?’ ‘Aigoo, poor him’ ‘Is it Soo?’ ‘The short guy you mean?  'With big eyes?'

Did I just hear… Soo? Kyungsoo? As in my Kyungso

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter