Silent Love

Silent Love

It was late october and the leaves had long fallen. The sound of leaves crunching beneath Soomi’s feet sounded as she made her way towards the school gates. It was like any other morning to her. Up until she stepped foot into the library. She always spent her time in the library before classes started. Today was different though, as soon as she stepped into the room. She was struck by a beautiful sound.

 

Soomi never imagined she’d experience love at first sight. Technically she hadn’t, in fact it was more of first sound. The idea seems strange yet there was no other way to word the experience. It couldn’t be helped. She felt as if her breath had been snatched right from her lungs. Her heart stopped, and goosebumps grazed her arms. All from a voice. Myoui Mina’s voice

 

Mina was the girl who took the ‘quiet type’ to the next level. Even though she was a transfer student, she always had excellent marks. She never asked question, not that it seemed like she had to. Honestly the only time she’s ever seen talking is with her friends, even then Mina’s voice wasn’t loud enough to be heard. But today that changed, because Soomi heard it.

 

From that moment on to the rest of the day Soomi couldn’t get Mina’s voice out of her head. Now she was determined to here her voice again.

 

-----

 

That wouldn’t be so hard. At least Soomi figured as much, they were seatmates after all. How hard could it be? Just introduce yourself. Who knows she might even greet you back. That’s what Soomi said to herself as she stepped into the classroom.

 

Mina was already there, pencil in hand and her focus on the blackboard. Soomi wanted to smack herself for acting so pitifully. Her palms became sweaty as she stepped closer, making her shove her hands into her jacket pockets.

 

H-hey.” Soomi said taking her designated seat. To her surprise Mina glanced away from the blackboard. “I’m Soomi.”

 

Though Mina only nodded in response before turning back to the board, Soomi considered that progress.

 

-----

 

Days passed and seemingly no progress was made. At least in Soomi’s opinion. She’d thought that maybe if Mina had greeted her, that would be enough. But the more she tried made her want her attention more. A week into trying and she considered giving up. But a silent hope convinced her otherwise.

 

She’d been in the library that morning as always. She spotted Mina at one of the tables only this time she was lone. She took the opportunity, attempting something new. She took a seat right beside her. She greeted her like normal getting the same wave in response.

 

Soomi waited a moment before shifting in her seat, facing Mina.

 

“Did you sleep well?” she asked, a twinge of hope wanted her to say yes. Though Mina of course, only nodded.

 

“Really your eyes have dark circles around your eyes.” The comment made Mina drop her book. Her hand went straight to her face. She quickly lowered them at the sound of Soomi’s laughter.

 

“I was joking.” Soomi says patting Mina’s shoulder in reassurance. Mina scoffs and picks up her book again. Though even Soomi could see the smile that pulled at her lips.

 

------

 

Ever since then Soomi didn’t give up. Each day she’d talk to her about something different. Whether it was about her day or the schoolwork she just couldn’t seem to finish. Weeks passed and they’d undoubtedly grown close.

 

Somewhere along the line she’d seemed to have forgotten that it was Mina that was supposed to talk, not her. Neither minded Soomi had someone who listened to her and Mina had something to listen to.

 

“You’re never going to speak to me are you?” The question had actually made Mina think. “Why haven’t I spoken to her?”  She wondered. Not able to find a reason not to she decided she would. But the next day Soomi was nowhere to be found.

 

Mina tried to ignore the worries in her head. The attempt failed when Mina found herself sitting alone in class the next day. Day after day and there was no sign of Soomi. A week had passed and Mina’s mood had changed. None of her friends could figure out why. Mina knew why though. It was all because of Soomi. She missed her, more than she’d like to admit.

 

If you were to walk past her people could swear there was a storm cloud above her head. Though Soomi didn’t seem to notice as she approached her.

 

“Miss me?” She says it sparingly not expecting Mina’s reaction. The sight of Soomi made her jump up, engulfing the girl in a tight hug.

 

Soomi swore her heart stopped in that moment. Mina promptly smacking Soomi’s arm. “Where were you?”

 

Soomi winced as she rubbed her arm. “I was abroad for a family trip, we take one every two months.”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me you were leaving, I thought something happened to you.” Mina whined

 

“I didn’t think you’d care that much.” Mina smacked her arm once more, upon hearing the statement. Soomi winced again telling Mina it wasn’t that big of a deal.

 

“It is a big deal, I missed you.”

 

Soomi stared at her surprised. “You missed me?”

 

“Yes, I missed you, your voice, your whole presence.” Mina said feeling her face become flushed. “Did you miss me?”  She asked hoping Soomi felt the same.

 

Soomi nodded slowly, unable to speak. She only focused on Mina’s voice, slowly processing each word on by one.Slowly with each word she remembered exactly why she wanted to hear Mina’s voice. Because the words she said could only be associated with the feelings she had when she’d heard it.

 

Finally Soomi came to her senses. She wrapped her arms around Mina pulling her into a warm embrace. Mina wrapped her arms around her as Soomi’s lips met her ear. “Trust me I missed you too.” Reassuring Mina that she undoubtedly felt the same way.