chapter 27

Infatuation and Falling For You

I sip on my tea, trying to calm my nerves.

 

“They sure do know how to brew their tea. I wonder...is this imported?” the woman across me spoke.

 

“I could ask for you,” I said, smiling politely at the older woman.

 

She waved her hand.

 

“Ah I’ll ask myself. I shouldn’t bother a busy woman like you with such trivial things,” she replied.

 

My brow twitched.

 

But it’s okay to bother me in the middle of my work?

 

“Now then,” she said as she laid her cup down on the table. “Might you have a clue as to who I am?”

 

I pretty much guessed who she was since she walked into my office. The resemblance is there after all.

 

“You’re Sooyoung’s mother, right?”

 

She smiled widely at me.

 

“Rather than “Sooyoung’s mother”, call me mom.”

 

What?

 

“Pardon?”

 

“Calling me mom is fine,” she said. “I’ve heard you and my daughter are pretty close after all.”

 

I raised a brow at her.

 

“Yes, we’re dating if that’s what you’re implying,” I frankly told her.

 

She takes her cup into her hands and hums as she takes a sip of her tea.

 

“Does she treat you well?”

 

“Yes. Very.”

 

She hums into her cup once more and takes a sip.

 

“I’ll be frank with you, Mrs. Choi. What is the point of this visit?” I asked.

 

“Still calling me ‘Mrs. Choi’?”

 

“Apologies. I’m...not comfortable with calling you so familiarly.”

 

Calling her 'mom' all of a sudden just didn't settle well with me. Seeming to understand my awkwardness, she let it go.

 

Smiling at me, she replied, “That’s fine. There’s still time.” She then continued to say, “I have some information you might be interested in.”

 

I narrowed my eyes at that.

 

“My husband, you’ve met already, right?”

 

“Ah...yes. He was quite...domineering,” I said biting my tongue.

 

“It’s alright. You can be honest. I know he can be such a jerk. He wears his for a hat. Didn’t you notice?”

 

She chuckled and winked at me.

 

Is that really alright for her to say?

 

I shrugged.

 

What do I know about their marriage?

 

“You said you had some information?” I spoke up.

 

Mrs. Choi took a folder out of her bag and placed it on the table between us. She gestured for me to open it. My eyes widen as I scan through the photos and papers.

 

“This is-”

 

I looked up at her, questioning what she meant by this.

 

She shrugs.

 

“It’s up to you. I’m just levelling the playing field,” she said. “I don’t think it’s fair how he’s been resorting to underhanded tactics.”

 

“But he’s your husband.”

 

She raised a brow at me.

 

“And it’s my daughter’s girlfriend who’s gonna suffer ergo my daughter will suffer.”

 

“I don’t…”

 

“What exactly has my daughter told you about me?”

 

I thought about it for a moment.

 

“She’s implied that you’re on neutral terms.”

 

She sighs.

 

“‘Neutral’ she says. Is that really the case if she’s ignoring me?” Mrs. Choi says with a defeated smile. “Well I can’t really blame her if she thinks so. I’ve been a bad mother.”

 

My curiosity got the better of me.

 

“What exactly happened if you don’t mind me asking?”

 

She eyed me for a moment.

 

“I guess there’s no harm of telling you since she’ll probably tell you eventually.”


 

“I didn’t know pulling off jokes on your parents was the trend between youngsters these days,” he says.

 

“I’m not joking,” Sooyoung said. “I’m g-”

 

“Shut up! Stop it with your jokes,” he yelled.

 

With resolute eyes burning, Sooyoung stands toe to toe with her father.

 

“I’m gay. I like girls. I’ve always liked girls and that will never change.”

 

His face quickly grew dim.

 

He was seething.

 

His arms were trembling as his knuckles turned white from clenching his fists. The mother wasn’t able to react quickly and watched in horror as Sooyoung received a resounding slap to her face.

 

“Get out. GET OUT!” he screamed. “You’re no longer my daughter.”

 

Sooyoung wasn’t sure if the tears were from her heart breaking or the slap she just received from the man she calls her father.

 

 

Either way, both were painful.

 

Wiping her eyes dry, she looked straight into her father’s eyes.

 

“Why don’t we make it official?”

 

The mother could only watch in shock at how fast the events had developed. What was she supposed to do? She loved them both.

 

Her husband, whom she learned to love over the years as they spent times of joy and overcame struggles together. And her Sooyoung, whom she loves, the child she had raised and cherished the moment she was brought into this world.

 

“Mom.”

 

She broke away from her thoughts at the sound of her daughter’s voice. She was presented with an emancipation form.

 

Her face turned pale. Her husband already signed, she noticed. She glanced towards her husband who was gesturing to her to sign it.

 

What was she supposed to do?

 

Was she really going to go through with this?

 

Was she willing to lose her daughter?

 

“My daughter...I…”

 

The mother really didn’t know what to do. Her hands trembled as she held onto the sheet of paper. She then took a good look at her daughter.

 

She was suddenly overcome with a realization.

 

The daughter standing before her has grown so big and tall now. Taller than her even.

 

Has time really gone by that fast? It seemed like it’s only been a while when she was last scolding her for coming home late from playing with her friends; when she urged her to do her homework; and when she last saw her off to spend college away from home.

 

And now, her daughter was standing before her, head held up high.

 

As a mother, she wasn’t stupid. She knew about her daughter doubling majors behind her father’s back. She had an inkling about her daughter’s uality too. Call it a mother’s intuition. She may or may not have seen her holding hands with a friend while lying in bed when she visited her dorm room at college.

 

It saddened her a bit, to see her daughter so mature and standing on her own two feet.

 

She stared at the form in her hand.

 

She regarded her daughter one more time before picking up a pen.

 

With the situation being what it is, she wasn’t going to be the one to hold her back now.


 

“So you signed it?” I asked already knowing the answer.

 

She nods.

 

“Of course. I thought at that time that it was the best decision. It was perfect timing too with my husband signing it off in his anger,” she explains. “My heart is still heavy from that decision, but I was sure letting her go was the better option. She’ll be free and happy. She won’t be tied down by her family anymore.”

 

“What would have happened if she stayed?”

 

“Probably forced into a position in her father’s company. Maybe even have her married off to one of his colleagues’ sons.”

 

I clenched my hand on the armrest of my seat as I heard the last bit.

 

“My husband has his ways. But with her being emancipated, he’s lost all legal authority over her as her father. And he knows well enough Sooyoung is too stubborn to listen to what he says.”

 

“Why can’t he let her daughter be?”

 

“His family has always been conservative and traditional. And even if Sooyoung is out of the family, it doesn’t mean people don’t know she exists. They’re a prideful bunch. I guess it bothers them too much to have one of their bloodlines ‘living in sin’.”

 

I frowned.

 

“Is that how you see us?”

 

“Oh, dear. I don’t care much what gender my daughter is in a relationship with. I care more about if they’re treating her right,” she denied. “Falling in love isn’t a sin,” she said gently.

 

I relaxed at what she said.

 

“I honestly think he’s mad she’s living happily on her own,” she continued. She had a far away look as she said, “He’s jealous because he never had the guts to do it when we were younger.”

 

I pursed my lips thoughtfully.

 

“Is that why he’s bothering me now? Because of our relationship?”

 

She let out a chuckle.

 

“Oh, dear. He’s always been meddling. Why do you think none of Sooyoung’s past relationships worked out?”

 

A chill ran down my spine.

 

Fear.

 

I felt panic wash over me.

 

Was the same thing going to happen to us?

 

“My resource even told me he approached your father but no luck there,” she informs me. “He’s certainly desperate to get you two to break up.”

 

That certainly got me by surprise.

 

He really was serious about telling my parents. Why didn’t dad inform me of this? I guess he’s still mad about last time.

 

“All this information doesn’t really explain why you’re here. Are you here to help?” I asked nervously.

 

“Yes. I’ve grown tired of my husband's pettiness to be honest. I want to teach him a lesson you see."

 

The way she smiled after she said that was a bit unsettling.

 

I suddenly felt another chill run down my spine.

 

Scary.

 

“Then what do you suggest I do?”

 

“Have you had plans of expanding internationally?” she asks me.

 

“Yes. We’ve been planning for over a year now,” I answered.

 

Nodding at me, she says, “Good. Do you think you could do it sooner?”

 

I questioned her why and her answer made me so pissed off I almost threw my cup at the nearest wall.

 

How dare he?

 

“Now calm down. It’s still avoidable don’t worry.”

 

We talked some more about plans which later led to talks about my current relationship with Sooyoung. I tried to tell as many stories as I could since it obviously made her happy hearing about her daughter.

 


 

“They’re pulling out too,” came Tiffany’s exhausted voice.

 

“Did they say why?”

 

Jessica just continued typing away seemingly unaffected from the news.

 

“Well, they all went about it in a roundabout way, but they're all basically saying the same thing: they were offered a better deal.”

 

After sending the last of her emails for the day, Jessica let out a breath as she leaned back into her chair.

 

She pursed her lips as she contemplated.

 

“Are we really going to stay quiet?” Tiffany asked. “This has really gotten out of hand.”

 

This time, Tiffany stomped her way to the couch and sat down with a plop.

 

“I mean seriously. This is taking things way too far,” she continued. “We’ve lost so many resources in a matter of just one month. We’ve lost more in such a short time than we’ve ever had since the founding of this company.”

 

“Are you worried?” Jessica asked.

 

Tiffany turned her head in her direction and met her gaze.

 

“Of course not.”

 

“Then why are you so reacting that way?”

 

“Because,” Tiffany began. “Everyone else in the company besides us thinks we’re doomed.”

 

Jessica let out a snort.

 

Rising from her chair, she grabbed her phone and bag.

 

“Where are you going?” Tiffany inquired. “You don’t normally leave at this time for your daily visit.”

 

“Do I really have to tell you?”

 

“If it’s anything illegal, don’t bother.”

 

“Just paying someone a long overdue visit.”

 

“If it’s anyone I know, say ‘Hi’ for me,” was the last thing Jessica heard as the door closed behind her.

 

I doubt it.

 


 

“Good evening, miss. You came a bit later than usual today,” the nurse at the reception tells me.

 

“I had to visit someone before this,” I explained.

 

“Oh of course. You do seem like a really busy person,” she says. “By the way, do you want some ointment or at least a bandaid for that scratch on your cheek?”

 

Smiling at her, I say, “If it won’t be any trouble.”

 

“Not at all. I have some right here.”

 

Bringing out a small med kit, she cleaned the scratch, applied some ointment, and then placed a bandaid over it.

 

“There you go. Don’t worry, it’s not gonna scar or anything. The scratch wasn’t that deep.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

“Off you go then. You better hurry since you won’t have much time left,” she warned me.

 

Thanking her again, I quickly headed to my destination.

 

The sound of my heels clacking against the white tiles resounded in the quiet hallways. I’ve walked through these halls so many times, I’ve almost memorized all the names in each room. I’ve also gotten pretty used to the aseptic smell which bothered me the first few times.

 

I checked my watch and saw I only had half an hour left.

 

Stopping by the last door, I turned the handle and quickly opened the door.

 

“Jesus! Do you not knock!?”