That Moth on My Thigh

That Moth on My Thigh

Cherry blossoms by Seoul Womens University dropped from its twigs as they shower upon the premises. Students ranging from freshmen to seniors walked inside as they start off another day, gaining bonds and learning new things. For Jeon Somi, it was a new start for her. With her standing height of 5' 8", she looked around for anyone she'd know and her squad of dorks that have planned to join her in this university.

"Som!"

Somi looked back and cheered as she went and hugged a tall girl and a short one who came with her. "Doyeon! Yoojung!"

"You're early as always." Yoojung sighed.

"Woooh~ I'm excited for this school year. We're finally in college!" Doyeon cheered as Yoojung and Somi joined them. 

"Don't forget us!" Mina and Sohye came into view.

"Even us..." Kyulkyung came in with a dynamic Yeunjung at the back, wandering around like she was in her own world.

"If is isn't the shikshin couple, the Chinese , and the dragon with her own world?" Doyeon and Somi spoke.

"Again with the sarcasms!" Kyulkyung huffed as she almost spanks Somi's . "s."

"Language." Sohye spoke as Mina hugged her from the back.

"The Chinese got whipped by the penguin~" Doyeon cooed another dose of sarcasms, making everyone laugh and Sohye and Kyulkyung react.

*ring*

"As much as we need to bat each other with such wonderful sarcasms, we need to get to class." Mina spoke.

Everyone nodded and walked in the main building. Somi stayed a bit, watching Kyulkyung pull Yeunjung out of her own world. Somi walked when she saw a black moth fluttering. She wonders of it. It might seem little but somehow, she was fascinated.

"Som?" Somi was out of her daze as Doyeon called. "What are you looking at? Let's go."

Somi could only nod and go with them.


School was of the usual for the seven friends. For Somi, it was always the sophisticated intros and the start of another phase of learning. But of course, nothing beats the days in college more than eating delicious food at the school canteen.

Kyulkyung was always onto Chinese food, Sohye and Mina almost ordered every food served, Yoojung and Doyeon always loved sweets and ordered all desserts, Yeunjung was always onto her own world while eating a lot of mixed nuts. For Somi, she was drinking her favorite juice all while she researched about moths. Doyeon, who sat next to her, got a glimpse on what she was researching and nudged Somi. "What's that?"

"Nothing." Somi said and got her phone away.

"Huh?" Sohye got a look. "Why are you researching about black moths?"

Everyone on the table gasped. Somi wondered of their reactions, asking them what.

"You don't know about moths, Som?" Yoojung asked.

"I wouldn't ask, would I?" Somi batted.

"Moths hold a significant meaning." Sohye said. "They symbolize death."

"How can they symbolize death?" Somi asked.

"There's no justification for that." Yeunjung spoke, leaving everyone to look at her. "Although in some contexts, they symbolize that someone died or the soul of the dead roamed around through that animal. But to be specific, they portray as spirit guides."

"So much for a dynamic woman, you know a lot." Kyulkyung commented.

"Oooh~ tell me more, senpai." Somi said to Yeunjung.

"Nah. That's all I can say." Yeunjung stopped her with a hand and resumed eating.

Somi sighed and resumed eating like the rest. As Somi decided to munch on her favorite kimchi, a brown moth flew inside the canteen. Somi was the first to notice as she wowed of the animal fluttering around. Noticing some students running for their lives as it flew on their spots, she couldn't care as she was still fascinated with the flying animal.

"Weird..." Yeunjung said, noticing the moth. "They're supposed to be nocturnal..."

Kyulkyung didn't like bugs like Yoojung and Mina. Kyulkyung hid behind Yeunjung, Yoojung behind Doyeon, and Mina behind Sohye. Sohye was albeit scared, Yeunjung was calm, and Somi had her eyes focused on the animal. But then, her heart pumped quickly as it flew towards her. Somi thought it was like artillery at war, ready to hit her...

Yeunjung had her eyes dilated of the sight. The moth landed on Somi's thigh.

"Yah! Get that off!" Mina yelped lightly.

Somi was frozen for almost a second when the moth flew away again. Yeunjung sighed hard as Somi could only look at her thigh and the animal alreay out of sight. Somi looked at her friends and they gasped. 

"What?" She asked.

"Don't just 'what?' us." Yoojung batted. "That animal just landed on you. Do you know what that means?"

"So?" Somi wondered again. "It's just some spiritual . It's not that significant, guys. Relax..."

Yeunjung nodded like the rest. They resumed the day and got the thought of moth symbolism off of their heads.


Somi got to her new dorm. The nicest part was that their place was great and she and her six friends stayed in a place they could almost call their own. The rest of them were inside, with Kyulkyung greeting the youngest of the squad of friends.

"Somi~" Kyulkyung hugged the maknae. "Where have you been?"

"I was a the cyber cafe. I was video-calling Chungha-unnie." Somi answered. "I thanked her for paying for this apartment."

"Omo-you chatted with your sister?" Sohye asked as she found it cute. 

"Yes, So." Somi nodded.

Yeunjung turned off the TV and they all gathered around Somi. Somi sat down with them as Yeunjung asked. "How is she?"

Somi could only smile at her friends and the thought of her Chungha-unnie.

Like the rest of her friends, they were special children. They weren't like the rest of children who had deficiencies. They were the ones who never knew the term 'parents', only to go through their lives without any. In their phases of life, they were found by older girls, almost years older than them, and were also students who found them when they were just babies and took care of them like their lives depended on it. In the circle of seven friends, they had four unnies.

First was Lim Nayoung, age 36. She was a Stone to begin with. She had a lot of responsibilities in her life and had to deal with a strict father. But then, she had taken responsibility when she found Yeunjung and Mina in the streets as abandoned babies. She took them in. Her mother helped in taking care of the two children but her father thought it was too tough for her to bear it. He would've settled for adoption but Nayoung didn't want to. As years passed, Nayoung took care of Yeunjung and Mina, even until her parents passed away. In the present day, she worked as a CEO of an IT franchise and took care of Yeunjung and Mina with their studies and other needs, almost like a mother to the both of them.

Second was Kim Sejeong, age 35. She lived in obscurity and only had little for herself since her family was financially unstable. When her father left to another family, Sejeong only had her mom. She quitted school early to support herself and her mom. In a rainy day, she found a baby Sohye and took her in. She didn't want to burden her mother so she took care of the child. Yoojung was found weeks later, and Sejeong dealt working and taking care of two children at an early age. Her mother would help raise them when Sejeong had to work but it went complicated when her mother passed away. Sejeong worked her sweat out, worked hard to study, and graduated a bachelor in architecture despite of taking care of Sohye and Yoojung. She's now an architect and a part-time singer and managed to support Yoojung and Sohye throughout the years.

Third was Jung Chaeyeon, age 34. She was born from a silver spoon and finding Kyulkyung and Doyeon as cute children abandoned onto the doors of her home, she got them in and raised them with ease thanks to her maternal instincts and financial support. Her father loved that and helped her daughter take care of two beautiful children but her mother didn't, thinking that it was a hindrance to her career and as an heir to her business, nothing should get in Chaeyeon's way. She tried taking the children away but Chaeyeon stopped her. She got her share and started anew away from her parents and raised the children herself. She was now a model and even got her children little roles since the industry found them so pretty.

Last was Kim Chungha, age 35. Her life was almost like Sejeong's, unstable with no assurance. She moved from America, taking part-time jobs before training to be a dancer, and found baby Somi in a trashbin, crying hard. Chungha took pity and took her in. Chungha didn't know how to raise a kid and she had her own problems to being with. Nonetheless, she raised her, took care of her, and loved her like she was her own child. Somi grew up with Chungha and looked up to the woman. Chungha might've had a rough start wth Somi but she took care of her a lot. For Somi, she was forever grateful to Chungha.

"She's great. She's been dying to see me again but I can't go home and waste money for bus fare." Somi said.

"I felt the same way too," said Yeunjung as Mina nodded.

"Most of us die to see our unnies again but we need to work hard after all they did for us." Sohye said.

"True." Yoojung said. "We can't worry for now. We need to face college and work hard." 

Somi and the rest couldn't agree more. They decided to turn in early. Somi shared a room with Kyulkyung and got to her workstation, studying lightly as she looked up a picture of her and Chungha. She held the picture, kissing Chungha's part.

"I miss you, unnie." She mumbled. "I'm sorry if I can't visit frequently. I'll see you soon. I promise."

Somi went to study again as she awaits another day.


Somi and her friends did well in college, with Somi gaining first place. The seven of them got the first seven spots in their rankings and when vacation came, they went to the bus station together and bid goodbye as they went back to their respective homes.

Somi was the only one to go alone. It was almost lonely but she had hope and excitement to see Chungha again. As she got down outside a nice gate with a nice house, she went inside happily as she looked for her unnie. She stopped by the living room, seeing her cute unnie watching Hamtaro.

"Chungha-unnie~" Somi called.

Chungha looked and cheered, running to hug her little Somi tight. Somi could hug her unnie back, missing her so much.

"Why didn't you tell me you were coming home today?" Chungha pouted. "I could've prepared dinner."

"It's fine, unnie." Somi grinned. "I'm just happy to be back home."

"How about I make some ddeokbokki~?"

"Can I help?" Somi asked.

Chungha just nodded and the two went to cook and have the usual bond.

They ate and shared stories. Somi told Chungha about her college life and Chungha was so happy her little Somi was doing well. Chungha also shared her times and Somi wowed that Chungha got to know Sejeong, Nayoung, and Chaeyeon. Somi and Chungha missed each other so much so everything they did as of this moment was important. For Somi, Chungha really mattered to her.

After eating and having their talks, they decide to go to bed. Chungha got Somi to her room and went to clean when Somi stopped her. She grabbed a blanket and a pillow and said: "Unnie, can I sleep beside you tonight?"

How could Chungha say no? She missed the feeling of sleeping with Somi, like those times when Somi was still a toddler. "Okay, Som."

Somi cheered and went ahead to Chungha's room. Chungha could only follow and smile as they got to the room and Somi was the first to lie down. Chungha followed suit and they laid next to each other. Despite of Somi's tall structure, she cuddled onto Chungha as if she was still the same baby Chungha held.

"Aigoo...someone misses me a lot." Chungha smiled and pats Somi's head.

"Of course, I do. I only go home every semestral break. I couldn't see you whenever you wanted to. I'm sorry for that, unnie." Somi pouted.

"I understand. You have school to deal with." Chungha said, cupping the girl's face. "You know I'm so proud of you."

"Thanks, unnie." Somi said as she hugged her. "Thank you for giving me another chance to live life. I wouldn't be in this situation without you." Somi was drifting off. "I love you, unnie."

Chungha looked down and kissed Somi's forehead as she hugged her close. "Unnie loves you too, Som. I always have and always will."


The vacation was all worthwhile for Somi. She always had time for Chungha, from helping her with anything to having fun together. Somi and Chungha even went to travel and even met with their friends. It was all happiness and wonderful memories for them but knowing Somi had to go back soon, she'll be missing her unnie all over again.

Somi was packing her stuff. Chungha looked at her and smiled, almost crying. It felt like a second to her. Somi was just a cute baby when she found her but now, Somi was all grown up. She went towards Somi and helped her pack.

"Unnie, I can do this myself." Somi said.

"Come on, let Unnie help. It'll be another year before I see you." Chungha said.

Somi nodded as Chungha helped her pack. Somi sighed sadly. It was the 2nd of February and classes had to start tomorrow. Meaning, she won't be present in Chungha's birthday, and she won't be able to spend her own birthday with her.

"Unnie?" Somi called.

"Yes, Som?" Chungha responded.

Somi lowered her head and handed something to her. "For you."

Chungha smiled and accepted the little box. "What's this, Som?"

"Since I won't be on your birthday, I want to give my gift in advance. Consider it also as my gift for Mother's Day since I can't come back until September." Somi said.

Chungha went to hug her tall dongsaeng. Somi was crying lightly as she hugged her unnie back. "I'm going to miss you again, unnie."

"Me too, my little Som. Me too..." Chungha said as she wiped the tears off of Somi's face. "Now come one. Let me take you to the bus stop."

Somi nodded as she got her big bag, with Chungha carrying her small tote. The bus stop was just a walk and they got to hold hands and walk together. Chungha waited with Somi until the bus back to Seoul came. Somi got her tote bag from Chungha and gave her unnie one last hug. 

"See you soon, Som." Chungha said. 

"You too, unnie." Somi said.

"I love you so much, Somi." Chungha said. 

"I love you too, Unnie." Somi said back.

"Take care. Do good at school." Chungha said again.

"Ne." Somi nodded and got on the bus.

Somi got a seat close to the window and watched Chungha wave at her. Somi waved back a lot until Chungha was far from sight. Somi could cry again as she faces another phase of life without Chungha physically.

Somi was silent during the trip, listening to music as she saw a white butterfly landing on her window. Somi noticed the beautiful insect struggling to get out. Somi opened the window and the butterfly flew free again. Somi smiled and then it hit her.

But she shrugs it off. It's just superstition...


The second year of college came to the lives of the seven friends. They did the usual orientations, introductions, and recaps of the lessons within the month. In those times, Somi remained optismistic and always hung out with them. For today, she was sitting with Kyulkyung and Yeunjung. Doyeon and Yoojung were doing club activities and Mina and Sohye were arguing, just as the three witnessed.

"Shouldn't you stop your sister, Yeunjung?" Kyulkyung asked her. "And where's Yoojung? She needs to stop Sohye from cussing."

"Why don't you stop them?" Yeunjung spoke. "Mina musn't be stopped in fights or else, she gets provoked. And a provoked Mina is like a war raining upon the country. We don't want that to happen."

"I'll stop them." Somi said as she went closer to the shikshin couple.

Yeunjung yelled at her to stop. Somi didn't heed Yeunjung as she went to Mina and Sohye. Sohye was cussing as Mina was raging at her girlfriend. Somi gasped as Sohye pushed Mina too hard when Somi blocked her way.

"What are you doing, Somi?" Sohye hissed. "Stand aside."

"Sohye...don't hurt Mina. You do NOT hurt your girlfriend like that." Somi spoke.

Mina shoved Somi off and she fell. Mina continued to argue at Sohye. "It's not what it looks like!"

"What it looks like?!" Sohye yelled. "I saw you and Hyeyeon together! She makes her moves towards you and you let her do as she pleases!"

"That's not true!" Mina yelled.

"Enough!" Yeunjung yelled as Kyulkyung helped Somi up. "You see your friend stopping you two from arguing and you push her off?!"

"Yeunjung, stay out of this." Mina said.

"How can I just let my sister fight with her girlfriend? I know you get provoked but it's about time I stop a fight, especially thanks to Somi." Yeunjung said. 

Sohye didn't have time for this and left. Mina faced away and was crying lightly. Yeunjung comforted her sister as Kyulkyung was told by Somi to go and comfort Sohye. Somi sighed of an very unusual event, seeing her friends fight. A ring disturbs Somi as she checked the caller. It was Chungha.

Som~

"Hey, Unnie." Somi was still distressed.

Somi, what's wrong?

"It's nothing, Unnie. Mina and Sohye are fighting..." Somi spoke.

What happened? Are they okay? Are you and others okay?

"We're good. I should be asking you that..." Somi mumbled.

I just came to call to hear how my little dongsaeng is doing. I just finished work and-

Somi could've sworn she heard a cough on the other line. Somi grew worried. "Unnie, are you okay?"

I just choked, Som. It's nothing...

"Are you sure?" Somi asked.

I'm sure, Som...

"Okay." Somi trusts her unnie. "I need to go. I need to see Sohye and Mina."

Okay. I hope they get along well...

"Me too, Unnie. I'll call you later." Somi said.

Okay, Som. Take care. I love you.

"I love you too, Unnie. Bye." Somi said and hung up.

"Som, you okay?" Kyulkyung asked.

"I'm fine." Somi said. "Where's Sohye?"

"Yeunjung pulled her to talk to Mina." Kyulkyung answered. "Doyeon and Yoojung are with her. Shall we catch up?"

"Okay." Somi nodded and went with Kyulkyung.

Somi made her steps when another moth flew. Not only that, Somi held her chest, feeling nervous as she recalled that one unusual sound from Chungha. With that, she froze and grew worried.

"Som?" She came back to reality as she faced Kyulkyung. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah. Sorry..." Somi said and she and Kyulkyung went off.


Days passed so soon and at their school, the seven friends had a so-called 'Parent Appreciation Day'. Somi watched as some college students had their parents to come on the said celebration. For Somi and her friends, they sighed and went out of the gym, sitting by the benches.

"Too bad we aren't like them." Kyulkyung sighed.

"You're right." Doyeon sighed and the rest joined them.

"Aigoo...who said anything about feeling sad?"

The seven kids looked up and gasped to see Nayoung, Sejeong, and Chaeyeon. 

"Stone Unnie!" Yeunjung cheered as she and Mina went to hug her.

"Ahjusshi~" Yoojung and Sohye went towards her and Sejeong welcomes them through a hug.

"Chaeyeon-unnie~" Kyulkyung and Doyeon went to her and Chaeyein hugged and looked up to her tall dongsaengs.

Somi thought it was too cute. But then, she was a little sad. Chungha would've been busy so she couldn't come but a part of her wanted her Unnie to come.

"Somi." Sejeong called and the Unnies waved with her.

Somi waved back and was about to excuse herself to leave but she stopped as she saw a familiar person. The said smile of the said person almost got Somi into tears.

"Aigoo...did I miss anything?"

Somi couldn't hold her feelings as she went to tackle that person for a hug. As she got herself onto the person's arms, she sniffled.

"I thought you wouldn't come..." Somi mumbled.

"Sorry I took a little longer. I didn't know there was a day like this. Good thing Sejeong reminded me." Chungha said as she wiped the tears off of her baby's face. "Aigoo..."

"What took you so long, Chungha?" Nayoung asked as the rest came to their direction.

"You even had to make Somi worry and cry." Chaeyeon sighs.

"Don't cry, Somi. We should be happy. Our Unnies are here." Doyeon said and the rest of the kids cheered.

The Unnies loved the sight of their happy children. Somi stopped crying and laughed with them, making Chungha so happy for her.

But something came up in Chungha's thought that she could never forgive herself.

"Chungha, you okay?" Sejeong noticed her dazed look.

Everyone went silent. Somi was worried the most as she held her unnie's hand. "Unnie, what's wrong?"

"Aigoo, I must've dazed..." Chungha mumbled. "Mind me. Why don't we all go and eat? Nayoung and I will treat all of you."

Nayoung had agape but everyone cheered, even Mina and Yeunjung pulled her shirt like little kids. Nonetheless, she nodded. "Okay."

Everyone cheered. The beagles were running like rascals as the unnies watched them like mothers. Chungha could always smile watching Somi but it had to fade soon. Sejeong noticed it and pats her back.

"Are you thinking about that?" She asked. "Will you tell her?"

"I will." Chungha said. "But now's not the time."


Chungha was back at home from work as she slumped on the couch to rest. She took time to look atound her home that was once filled with vibrance. But with Somi off to university, the place had gone quiet and lonesome.

Chungha looked at the picture of her and Somi. She smiled as touched Somi's part, missing her little girl so much. She looks at the calendar and sighed sadly.

It was her 36th birthday and it was a second birthday without Somi.

Chungha didn't muster to get a cake for herself but she did have a celebration with Nayoung, Sejeong, and Chaeyeon. The kids also talked through Skype and had a long talk with Somi during work. For her, it was more than enough to make her day. But it would've been better if Somi was with her.

Chungha yawned and decided to turn in early. She got to her bed, opening the door and leaving her gasping.

"SURPRISE~" The ten girls were in her room. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

Chungha had hands by as she cried. The others were singing the song as Somi went closer and got a cake. Chungha couldn't believe what was happening. She was too happy, especially the fact that Somi was here.

"Happy birthday, unnie. Make a wish." Somi grinned.

Chungha nodded as she thought of everything. But then, one wish was enough.

I wish for a wonderful life for Somi even when I'm not around anymore...

Chungha blew the candles and everyone clapped and cheered. Doyeon got the cake from Somi's hands as Chungha tackled her little big girl for a hug.

"Awwww~" The rest cooed.

Somi couldn't hold her tears too and she hugged her unnie back.

"I thought..." Chungha couldn't say much and just hugged her.

"Our classes ended earlier than expected, unnie. Our spirng break was today." Somi said. "And knowing that it was your birthday, I had to come home and be with my unnie on her special day."

The kids clapped of her words, even the unnie line found it sweet. Chungha kept crying and hugging Somi tight. She was surprised and was so happy.

"Okay. Enough with the tears." Sejeong clapped. "Let's party~ to the kitchen~"

Everyone cheered and went outside. Chungha stoped crying and was smiling as Somi walked wit her, holding hands.

Chungha was blessed to have friends. But mostly, she was blessed to have Somi. Maybe God had a purpose to why she took her in and raised her. And with that, she was happy that she got to live this moment, even if it means she'll lose hers at some point.


Days passed and Chungha lived the usual life as Somi and her friends were in university again. But at the day, a moth flew by the window of their home and inside was Chungha, sitting on the couch so weakly.

A hand was on her chest as she eases herself, her hands scurrying on the drawer as she gets some medicine. Chungha huffed and got a tablet, gulping it down as it eased. Chungha sighed of this predicament as it changed her view of life completely.

Chungha would've thought it was just a touch of heartburn. But no heartburn occurs on a daily basis, right? So Chungha had herself checked up and realized that it was a not a touch of heartburn. Iy was a touch of a heart attack that could kill her anytime. Chungha was devastated with herself that she couldn't muster any courage to tell her loved once. In Sejeong's case, she found that out through Chungha's mantras in a public restroom. Chungha begged Sejeong not to tell anyone, not even Somi. And the Ahjusshi stuck to her word.

How could she even tell Somi of her condition? She couldn't take the girl's happiness onto that single confession. It'll break her heart if she does.

*ring*

She stops thinking that way. Somi's home, she thought. She can't show this side to the and she needs to keep her smiling no matter what.

"I'm home~" Somi came inside and Chungha greeted her with a hug. "Hehe, unnie~" Somi hugged her back.

Chungha could only hug her longer. She decided that the days to come are important and that life is inevitable. She needs to spend all her moments with Somi, whatever the cost.


Somi and her friends cheered as they faced another complete year in college, all while maintaining their top ranks. They went home like the usual but Somi was shocked that Sohye and Yoojung would be joining her.

"Sejeong-unnie came by your part of town for a business meeting. She said that we'll join you on the ride back home and we'll meet Unnie there," said Sohye.

"Nice!" Yoojung clapped.

"Yay~" Somi cheered and the two joined her.

The trip was fun. Sohye was sleeping and Yoojung and Somi were the hyper ones and when they got to the place, Yoojung and Sohye had to go down first. Somi waved goobye and sat quietly again and was excited to go home again.

She got down her home and ran inside when she noticed another pair of shoes that were too big for her feet or Chungha's. Somi sighed and went in smoothly when she heard a familiar voice.

"How long will you have to keep it from her?"

Somi gasped. She moved slowly and hid by the side, taking a peek to see Chungha talking to Sejeong. 

"Until it's the right time." Chungha answered.

"We'll never know the right time, Chungha. Why can't you just tell Somi?" Sejeong asked worriedly.

Somi wondered. What did Chungha hide from her? What does she need to know?

"I'm scared. I don't want to lose that smile Somi has, nor her good intuition and her good vibes. A happy pill like her must not lose her light of happiness." Chungha reasoned.

"But it'll hurt her more if you won't tell her soon. Chungha, please reconsider." Sejeong said. "If you tell her you have heart failure with a slight chance of knowing the last good day, it'll hurt her not knowing the days you have left for her. You need to tell before it's too late."

Somi had a hand on as silent tears flowed out. She hid again, hearing Sejeong's footsteps leave the household. Somi got out of her hiding place and slowly went to where Chungha was. Somi didn't like the sight. Her unnie was panting, a hand on her chest. And when she gulped some tablet, Somi sniffled.

Chungha heard and gasped when Somi was there. "S-Somi-ya..." Chungha now knows that this is the time. "Somi...baby..."

"How could you not tell me right away? When did you had this?" Somi could only bat questions as she cried. "Why did you hide it from me?"

Somi was too hurt with the revelation and was too mad at Chungha. Chungha wanted to explain everything at the right time but Somi didn't heed her pleas. 

This was Chungha's biggest fear. That's why she couldn't tell Somi. But she never thought it could happen so soon.

"Somi, please let Unnie explain-"

Somi shoved Chungha off and ran toeards her room. Chungha ran after her hut Somi closed her door and didn't let Chungha in, let alone redeem herself from a hidden truth. Chungha didn't stop as she knocked onto Somi's room.

"Somi, please..." Chungha was crying. "...please let Unnie explain..."

"No!" Somi yelled.

Chungha heard cries she never wanted to hear. She felt guilty to have this ailment. It took a toll on her life but now it also took a toll on Somi's. Chungha had to hope and pray that nothing will change between her and Somi because she'll be lost without a happy pill whom she loved with all her heart.


The usual vacation for Somi changed drastically. Somi couldn't believe what she heard and what had happened since she found about Chungha's ailment. What really made her mad was that she wasn't given the chance to know the truth and find a way to heal her unnie. It was too cliché for a student to do that but Chungha mattered to her so she'd do anything.

But why didn't Chungha tell her soon? Why didn't Chungha let Somi in and help her for once, after all Chungha did to raise her.

"Somi?"

Somi kept herself inside the house and secluded herself from fun, even from Chungha. Somi didn't like this but she was too hurt. Somi didn't like the fact that Chungha had to hide her suffering from her.

"Go away..." Somi cried. 

"Somi baby, please..." Chungha knocked softly. 

"I don't want to talk now. Leave me alone..." Somi cried again.

Somi heard footsteps leave and she sobbed. She shouldn't have regretted and stuck to Chungha till the end like the usual but she felt left out. She could only cry.

She couldn't bear to lose Chungha because she's all that she has.


Days turned to weeks and Chungha felt weary without the happy vibe from her little Somi. She tried everyday to gain back her trust but Somi closed her out. She felt guilty for not telling Somi right away, fearing to lose Somi's vibrance just because on an unassured death.

Chungha went to go towards Somi's room and knocked. Chungha tried to open the door and she gasped as it was unlocked for the first time in a month. Chungha grabbed this chance and went inside surely, seeing Somi sitting on her bed.

"Hey..." Chungha called and got something. "...I got you some ramen. I'd guess that you're hungry..."

"How long have you had that?" Somi asked. "Are you going to leave me soon?"

Chungha didn't like that. She puts the bowl on one side and sat with Somi. She holds her hand. "No...no, of course not..."

"Please be honest to me, unnie." Somi pleaded. "Just tell me."

"Maybe soon...maybe tomorrow...time can tell, Somi." Chungha said. "I'm so sorry to keep you away from this. I should've just told you."

"You're my mother, my sister, my caretaker..." Somi said. "...it's sometimes your obligation to keep problems to yourselves so that you won't make your children worry."

"Well, from now on-"

"I like you better off as an important person in my life and I could be grateful that you had to keep it from me to ease me of my happiness." Somi said, looking at Chungha.

"Really?" Chungha asked.

"But..." Somi began to sniffle. "...but you're my happiness, unnie. It's my responbility to be there for you this time, after everything you've done for me. And when you saying that you have this ailment, I'm so scared right now..." Somi teared up. "... I'm so scared to lose you, Unnie. I..." Somi sobbed. "...I want you to always be here. I don't want you to go. I love you and I don't know what I'd do without you by my side..." 

Chungha hugged her precious Somi and the younger of the two cried in her arms. Chungha shushed her, whispering that she didn't want that to happen too, that she always wanted to stay by her side to always love her.

"Me too, Som..." Chungha whispered as she pats her back. "I'm so sorry for this..."

Somi opened het heart and learned to forgive Chungha through another hug. For now, life would've been a but it cannot be controlled. Somi could only go back to the usual and make most of her moments with Chungha.


The vacation didn't fly that fast but Somi and Chungha spent it well. They had fun at home and even went overseas to America and Canada. Somi didn't burden herself of the inevitability of Chungha's life. Her time with Chungha mattered the most.

There were often times Chungha broke down as she felt her heart being clenched. Somi would make attempts to call for paramedics but Chungha didn't want to be burdened inside the four walls of the hospital. She had work and had Somi to rake care of. Somi had to obey for Chungha's sake but she also assured checkups for Chungha in which she agreed.

But like any vacation where Somi had to go, it happened. She was now in her third year of college and she had to go back next week. At the time, Somi got her stuff ready in advance to spend more days with Chungha.

"Unnie?" Somi called Chungha who was at the balcony.

Chungha could only turn back and smile lightly at her baby. Somi saw the emotions hidden as she sat next to her and comforted her. "Unnie..."

"I'm sorry to feel like this, Som. It's just too unexpected. I just worry of the future...I just worry of you." Chungha said.

"It's okay, unnie. I'll be okay. Sure I might go and cry like a wreck but what matters is now and that I'm still with you." Somi flashed her cheeky grin.

Chungha nodded and they shared their hugs. Somi got that attitude in control as she hugs her small unnie tight.

"Be careful in school, Somi. Don't starve. Eat and study a lot. Get good grades and aim for a degree." Chungha said.

"Yes, ma'am." Somi replied.

"Does it flood at school? Were you alright last year when a storm came in?" Chungha asked.

"No, unnie. Uni is far from the sea. And don't worry. The place is elevated." Somi answered.

"Did you keep the money I saved for you?" Chungha asked.

"Yes. I was so grateful, unnie. It's more than enough." Somi said, pouting. "I still have savings from my allowances and freelance work."

"Don't waste your savings. Keep them for future and use my money." Chungha said again and Somi saluted.

Somi would've chuckled of Chungha's gramdma-like concerns but Somi loved that side of Chungha. She couldn't stop Chungha from being too caring for her. It's just how Chungha expresses her platonic love for Somi. Somi just smiled, tearing up lightly as she smiled. "Thank you, Unnie~"

"You're welcome, my little Som." Chungha said then she pecks Somi's cheek. "I love you."

Somi hugged her again but she controls her tears. "I love too, unnie. I always have and always will..."


Somi was back at the university and went on with the usual routines in school, all while she longed to return soon. The days passed as quick as the seasons and Somi spent such a wonderful life with her friends. Somi did her routines from saving to eating and studying. Her initial plan was that when she gets back, she earns her savings to give a gift to Chungha. With the change of the school year, Somi can finally spend a day with her unnie on her special day.

But then came a change of plans...

"What?!" Somi gasped.

"As much as we want to go back home, the exam was moved tomorrow." Yoojung sighed. "I can't believe the teacher told us within the last minute."

"This is bull!" Somi cussed.

"Language," said Mina as she hugs Sohye.

"What are you going to do, Som?" Sohye asked.

"I'm not taking the exam." Somi said, throwing her arms up. "I'm going home. I want to be with Unnie."

"But Som, what about the exam?" Doyeon asked.

"This is the moment that you anticipate. Are you really not taking it?" Kyulkyung asked too.

"I'll just make up after Unnie's birthday." Somi said and sighed. "I really want to see her again."

"We understand, Som." Yeunjung said as everyone looked at her. "You may. I'll help you with your permission."

Somi was ever grateful to her friends. She hugs them as she went off to pack. The rest of the friends could only plaster sad smiles, especially Yeunjung.

"Somi is just too cute." Kyulkyung said. "I asked Chaeyeon-unnie but she didn't want Doyeon and I to miss school."

"Us too." Sohye said. "Sejeong-unnie said school is very important."

"Yeah. But family is more important. I would've asked Nayoung-unnie to go home today and just miss the exam like Somi." Yeunjung said.

"But Unnies said no because it's important." Yoojung sighed.

"Even Nayoung-unnie will kill Yeunjung and I." Mina added.

"Even if we worry foe Somi, let's just respect her choice. I'd say..." Doyeon spoke. "...that's one dedicated sister if you ask me."

"True." All of them agreed.


Somi was preparing her stuff to go back home. She got some clothes and other important stuff in a backpack, including her gift for Chungha. Somi changed into a new set of clothes and went to get her savings when she gasped. She scurried her hand inside her stash and gasped again. It was empty.

She recalled her time in opening her little safe with all the money she saved. It was supposed to be for emergencies and special errands. She also remembered that she spent everything for Chungha's gift. Somi sighed in frustration. She had no money left.

"Come on..." Somi sighed and searched her pockets.

Somi looked in every pocket and in every crevice for a bill or coin. Somi got a 1000-won bill and a 1-won coin. Somi whined. She barely had enough money to feed herself for another meal today.

*ring*

Somi saw the dialler and it broke her heart. She sighed and answered. "Unnie."

Somi~ where are you now? Did you take the bus home? Chungha asked.

Somi could cuss at herself. She told Chungha she'll come on her birthday for real because the calendar shift has changed. But the exam and financials took a toll on her. She couldn't bear to neglect her unnie but she had no money. She would ask Yeunjung or Sohye to owe a debt to them but she didn't want to, how much if she asked Chungha.

Somi sighed, silent tears dropping onto her eyes. "Unnie, I won't be coming."

Why?

The tone of Chungha's voice hurt her. The woman really expected Somi to come home. Somi sighed again. "I have an exam today."

Okay...

Tears flowed harder from Somi. But then, as much as she wanted to see her unnie, she had no options. "Sorry..."

It's okay, Som. An exam is one thing you shouldn't miss in uni. I hope you study well. Fighting, my little Som~

"Okay...thanks, unnie." Somi said.

God Bless. I love you, Somi.

Somi was crying like wreck but her voice was inaudible. She moved her phone away to sniffle lightly and went back to Chungha's call. "I love you too, unnie. Bye."

Somi hung up and wept loudly this time, releasing all the stress and longing to spend a birthday with her unnie as time ticked by with unassuring seconds. She could only cry harder, missing Chungha even more.


Somi and her friends took the exam and still maintained their rankings, with Somi being the first. She was happy that she got through the obstacle in college but then, she was sad and regretful of moments without Chungha. Somi may do good in school but at the end of the day, she only sulked. With another change in uni, Somi couldn't come home and wait for the school year to pass by so that she can see her unnie again.

With stress came fights and other unexpected events. Somi did excellently in school but her health was deteriorating. She was stressed, especially when she only had little sleep. Chungha could only send money for tuition and food expenses. Somi would save and wouldn't eat a decent meal everyday. Her friends were always worried as they helped Somi with whatever she needs. Somi couldn't accept it at first but she learned to because they were concerned and it's always a blessing in disguise. Somi was forever grateful to her friends.

One of the less bulty conventions that she would face is the last good day. When the next terrible decline is suddenly plateaued, or when the next phase of the future is barely bearable, the said day was unassured. At the time when Somi was done with a project and she took a nap, it was another decent day.

*ring*

Somi groaned and woke up from her nap. It was 2:30 P.M. and Somi noticed that the room was empty. Somi sighed. Dodaeng and the shikshin couple were on their dates, Kyulkyung met with Sungso, Miki, Seonui, and Sally, and Yeunjung met with Soobin for an important project. Somi scratched her head and noticed her phone blinking. She got a message from an unknown number and read.

Hello, Somi. This is Sejeong. This is to inform you that your Chungha-unnie passed away 11:30 this morning.

It hit Somi, her phone dropping on the floor with a sickening clack.

Somi ooked around with puffy eyes from her nap as the said text hit her, with memories of Chungha-unnie and her flooding inside her head. Somi read the text again and then, she broke, throwing get phone away and messing her part of the room. 

"No!! No~!!!" 

Somi could see Kyulkyung and Yeunjung come back and they were on her aid. Somi was messed up and flooded herself into a puddle of hurt. Somi continued to weep and felt Kyulkyung hug her and Yeunjung holding her hands to ease her.

"Yeunjung-ah...Kyulkyung-ah..." Somi called while crying.

"We heard the news, Somi. We're so sorry..." Kyulkyung said, crying lightly.

"We give our sincerest condolences, Somi. I'm so sorry..." Yeunjung added.

Somi still wept as they comfort her. Somi couldn't believe it. It was a joke. Chungha-unnie couldn't just leave her yet. Somi was supposed to come back home and spend time with her again. But she couldn't now. Chungha was gone.

Somi couldn't hold her sorrow. Kim Chungha, her mother, her sister, her friend...was gone...


With the said revelation, Somi spend another week in school with her friends and continued with the usual routines in uni. They were to be excused after another exam before going back home to witness Chungha's wake. The time came in a Thursday evening and the seven kids got to the funeral home. They saw their unnies and hugged them. For Somi, she could only watch them and cried seeing Chungha's altar with her picture, plastering the cutest of smiles.

"Somi~" Chaeyeon went to hug her tight. "I'm so sorry..."

Nayoung and Sejeong got to her and hugged her too. Her friends joined in before letting the maknae go. Somi looked at the picture as she knelt and cried again. Chaeyeon and Sejeong went to comfort her, leaving Nayoung to comfort the rest of the kids.

"I'll take the next shift." Sejeong raised her hand.

"Me too," said Chaeyeon.

"Unnie, can I stay?" Yoojung asked.

"Us too." Yeunjung and Kyulkyung said.

"Me too," said Doyeon.

"Okay." Nayoung nodded. "I guess Mina and Sohye need some sleep. We'll come back tomorrow for the next shift."

Nayoung carried a sleeping Mina on her back as Sohye bid goodbye to everyone, especially to Somi. Chaeyeon and Sejeong got the other kids to help them watch over. Hours passed and the other kids were already sleeping with Chaeyeon tucking them. Sejeong could only be by Somi's side as she sat on the same spot, unmoved, looking at Chungha's altar with sad eyes.

"Som..." Sejeong pats her head and pecked her forehead. "...you need some sleep."

"I'm fine, unnie." Somi sniffled. "I want to stay awake for Chungha-unnie."

"Then I'll join you." Sejeong said and sat next to Somi.

Sejeong and Somi were up ali night. Sejeong could only relieve Somi through pats of comfort. Somi would lean on Sejeong's shoulder and cry as her heart ached of losing the only family she had. Somi had questions on her head as she wonders of another phase of life without her Chungha-unnie.


Morning came and Somi woke up with a blanket on top of her as she slept on a chair. Somi looked around, seeing her fellow friends still asleep as Chaeyeon and Sejeong were already up making arrangements. They did the usual errands but for Somi, she sat on the same spot again to look ather unnie. Chaeyeon and Sejeong stopped and their hearts ached of what the maknae had to face.

"Poor Som...she's so lost without Chungha." Chaeyeon whispered.

"We are too. But what matters is that we need to be there for Somi, just like what we promised to Chungha." Sejeong whispered back.

"Unnie..." A cute sleepy Yoojung nudges Sejeong's jacket. "I'm hungry..."

"Aigoo..." Sejeong carries her. "...why don't we go and get some pizza?"

Yoojung nodded. Chaeyeon listed some orders and Yeunjung and Doyeon volunteered to do the errand. Chaeyeon nodded, telling them to be careful as Sejeong carried Yoojung like a cute child as she sleeps on her arms. Chaeyeon chuckled of the sight and saw her Kyulkyung beside Somi. Kyulkyung turned around as she pointed at Somi. "Unnie, Somi's asleep."

"Sejeong, why don't you take Somi home and let her come back here later?" Chaeyeon suggested.

"Okay." Sejeong agreed. "But let her eat first. Doyeon and Yeunjung will come back soon."

"Noted." Chaeyeon nodded. 

Nayoung arrived later with Mina and Sohye. The three greeted everyone as Mina and Sohye went with Kyulkyung and Somi and they all sat together. The unnies found the sight adorable.

"They really are friends." Nayoung chuckled.

"They couldn't leave Somi to cry alone. They're always there for Somi." Chaeyeon smiled.

"That's right." Sejeong nodded.

Yoojung woke up in Sejeong's hold and joined in with her friends. Doyeon and Yeunjung arrived afterwards with the food and joined in too. The unnies got the food ready as they adored of the seven precious children.

For Somi, she was grateful of these nine people that helped her through her sorrow. As much as she had to cry of Chungha's passing, she realized that she had to be strong sooner or later.


Somi was at home, awoken from her nap. She was at Chungha's room and cuddled onto the blankets and pillows one more time before getting herself ready. Taking the usual steps, she remembers everything she did with Chungha until it got to a point thst she pictured out Chungha suffering alone with her ailment.

"Somi?" Somi stopped as she saw Sejeong. 

Somi bowed and went to hug Sejeong. Sejeong smiled and hugged back. "Are you ready?"

"Yes, unnie." Somi nodded.

Sejeong escorted Somi out of the house and got on a car Sejeong drove and they got back to the funeral home. The rest of the people were already there as Somi got to her usual spot again and prayed for her unnie.

Sejeong got back with the other unnies, all while watching the children pray for Chungha, even for Somi. 

"We should decide where Somi will stay." Nayoung said.

"I want to adopt her." Chaeyeon said.

"We shall let Somi decide. For now, let's join with the children in prayer."  Sejeong added.

All of them nodded as they meditated and prayed.


The day of the funeral came. Somi was getting ready with her black dress as Mina and Yeunjung help her. Somi was still shaking as she couldn't accept the fact that she will be away from her unnie permanently. Nayoung got inside and comforted the maknae as they went out, heading to the cemetery.

During the cemetery, the ten girls came with other close friends. Some of them shared their testimonials, especially Sejeong and Somi. And when the rites were done, then came the storm of great sorrow as Somi began to cry. 

When they all dropped their flowers and the coffin was lowered slowly, cries filled the area. All of them had their tears and Somi sobbed her sorrys and 'I love you's to her unnie. Sejeong comforted the maknae with Chaeyeon as Somi grieved helpessly like the little kid Chungha loved dearly.

Somi now wonders with her new start of life without Chungha.


"Do you seven really have to go?" Chaeyeon asked.

"Mianhe, unnie. We'll come back soon." Doyeon said.

"Will you all be okay?" Nayoung asked and they nodded. "Som?"

"Don't worry, unnie. I'll be fine." Somi nodded.

"I'm going to miss you all." Sejeong hugged the children tight.

"Us too." Nayoung and Chaeyeon joined in and hugged the children too.

Somo broke first and smiled of the sight before her.

After the burial, all of them decide to live in Chungha's house permanently. Somi agreed as she loved the said decision. Sejeong and Nayoung settled the documents for all legal adoptions and now, they were on big happy family.

Somi became a part of it. She could only smile and thought that even if Chungha left the world, she stayed through her friends and her unnies whom she now considers as her family.

A white butterfly passed by and Somi smiled, looking at it as if flew around and far from sight once again. 

Chungha-unnie...thanks for appearing again as my spirit guide. You may not be around physically but you'll always be in our hearts.

I love you, Chungha-unnie...God knows that I do...