Of Blankets and Clowns

A Beautiful Day (Not)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a beautiful day outside. The birds were singing, the flowers were blooming and there was a light breeze, which made the thinner tree branches sway gently.

Same breeze mentioned above had been turning the pages of the documents Nayoung was working on for about twenty minutes now and it took everything in her not to get up and close the window.

But she couldn’t do that, so she settled for gritting her teeth together and trying to concentrate, so she could finish earlier.

(Her bosses daughter was visiting and she claimed that they would get more work done if all the windows of the office were open. The girl looked professional in the expensive white shirt tucked into her pencil skirt, but the penguin toy she was clutching had Nayoung’s eye twitching.)

It’s not like she wanted to go out that much.

In fact, if she had the day off, Nayoung would probably be on her little couch in her little apartment with a tub of ice-cream in front of her and a some sappy romantic movie playing on the TV.

Days in were special, okay?

(At least when Jieqiong was there.)

She was lost in thought, a small smile playing on her face.

Then her stupid colleague Minkyung threw a ball of paper and hit the back of her neck and Nayoung got called into her bosses office.

The penguin girl, apparently named Sohye, asked her a bunch of questions, because Nayoung had, apparently, showed animalistic behavior earlier when growling at Minkyung.

She spent approximately forty-eight minutes in there, because Sohye refused to believe that Nayoung wasn’t some kind of werewolf.

 

 

Just two more hours, Nayoung.

You can do it.

“Partner,” Minkyung’s teasing voice reached her again and she took a deep breath.

This time it was Yebin’s turn to throw a pencil at her.

“That’s dangerous, Kang Yeabin!”

God bless Yewon.

Her phone buzzed and she had to quite literally dig through the balls of paper, documents and folders on her desk to find it, but when she did – she couldn’t have been happier.

“Jieqiong,” she let out a breath of relief, finally something to distract her from this chaos.

She smiled, opening the message with a picture attached and reading it out loud, “ ‘I’m leaving you, I have found someone else.’ How can someone be this adora-“

Wait.

Nayoung paled.

Surely, the girl was just playing around.

Messing with her.

With her feelings.

No, it.. it’s just.. let’s see the picture.

“It won’t load,” Nayoung exclaimed, voice a little above a whisper and something looking remotely like panic showing on her face.

She didn’t notice Kim Chungha approaching, whistling to herself.

Said girl passed by her, but suddenly stopped, her shoes making a sound that’d make everyone wince.

(Nayoung was too busy frowning at her phone to react.)

Chungha took a few steps back, somehow making it look like the moonwalk, stopping in front of Nayoung.

She stared at the girl for a few seconds, “You look like you’re, y’know.. feeling.” She whispered the last word.

Nayoung glanced back and forth from her phone and to Chungha a few times, before settling on the white wall behind the girl, an expressionless look on her face, “Jieqiong just broke up with me.”

She expected pity, comfort or even a hug.

Instead, a look of recognition passed through Chungha’s features, her lips pulling into a bright smile.

“You have to admit, the guy is handsome.”

With that she left.

A single tear slid down Nayoung’s left cheek as Yoojung’s battle cry of ‘stone Nayoung’ echoed through her head.

She had to be strong.

 

 

Im Nayoung was broken-hearted.

She broken-heartedly dragged her feet inside of her small apartment. She was about to feed her broken-hearted goldfish – their broken-hearted goldfish – but the doorbell rang and she had no choice, but to go and check who it is.

Barely having touched the doorknob, she heard her neighbour’s voice.

“Hello, Nayoung! What a beautiful day, right?” The older girl smiled her megawatt smile and that’s when Im Nayoung realized.

Hate.

That was all one could feel for people like Kim Sejeong.

“You look like .”

And there, behind Sejeong’s shoulder was Somi.

Ah, such a nice kid, Nayoung thought to herself.

So honest, so real, so.. tall.

“What do you want? I’m not in the mood for baking together, Sejeong.” Nayoung said, attempting to close the door as so

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter