; PROTECTION

Crowned Prince [ MONSTA X ]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

THE BEST PROTECTION ANYONE
CAN GIVE, IS COURAGE

 

As Changkyun exited his final lesson for the day, he ran his fingers through his hair tiredly. He had most of his classes in the library with an elderly man who had been teaching him since he was a young boy. They had just finished history and politics; neither of which he found particularly interesting.

“Changkyun,” he heard his father’s voice. He paused where he was and turned his head to face the older man. “Where are you going?”

“I was…” he gestured down the hall. How was he supposed to know? He didn’t know if he wanted to head back to his room, speak with Kihyun or even see if Hyungwon had arrived.

“I do not want you wandering around,” the king stated, “I have taken the liberty in assigning someone to watch you.”

“But I don’t need –”

“Do not interrupt, and stand up straight,” his father ordered. Changkyun bit the inside of his lip and pushed his shoulders back, then clasped his hands gently behind his back respectfully.

“I apologise,” he bowed his head forward. He didn’t like the idea of someone tailing him, but he did understand the king’s motives behind it. He was the only heir to the throne. At least the only one that remained in the family.

“I have assigned the knight Lee Hoseok as your protector. He comes from a rather well known and wealthy family. He should receive you in your quarters, I would suggest making yourself acquainted with him promptly,” the king instructed.

“Very well father,” Changkyun nodded his head in understanding.

“You may leave,” his father dismissed him. Without wasting another second, he scurried off down the hall, and towards his chambers. He didn’t want to hang around any longer than he had to.

Pushing the door of his bedroom open he saw that no one was inside. He knitted his eyebrows together and closed the door behind him. He rubbed the back of his neck and observed the area. He untucked his shirt and rolled his sleeves up.

Slowly he trekked to the bathroom that was attached to the bedroom. Inside, he twisted the tap to allow water to run. He splashed some of the cool water against his skin, feeling the rim of the fabric belonging to his shirt cling to his skin. He exhaled as he turned off the tap.

A frown crawled onto his face as he heard a cling in the main component of his room. Footsteps shuffled against the floor. Confused, Changkyun walked to the door of the bathroom to see the figure in his room sporting one of the knight’s uniforms. Well, he was trying to quickly fix himself up.

The male with dark hair tied the arm protectors around his wrists, a large cloth resting over the back of Changkyun’s chair. At his left hip, a sword was set in its scabbard with the belt loosely strapped around his waist. His nearly black hair was tousled and a dark smudge faintly dirtied his jaw. Once he had finished lacing up the leather band around his wrist, the figure grasped the cloth, dragging it off the chair.

The chair tilted to the side, toppling over so that it crashed onto the floor. The male quickly crouched down, yanking the rest of the dark green fabric away and gripped the edge of the chair to set it up. As he looked up, his eyes met Changkyun’s gaze and on instinct, he let go of the chair. It hit the ground once more.

“Your Highness,” the figure said alarmed, “I did not realise you were back.”

“You’re Lee Hoseok?”

“I am afraid I have not made a very good first impression have I?”

“I doesn’t matter…but you do have dirt on your face. Training?” Changkyun guessed. The knight froze up and scratched the back of his head.

“Ah…yes,” Hoseok said hesitantly. He wrapped the cloak around his shoulders, fiddling with the clasp at the front. “Do you have plans for the remainder of your day?”

“No, I do intend on seeing Prince Hyungwon and checking on Prince Minhyuk,” he stated. Hoseok in took a breath as the pin pricked his index finger.

“Prince Minhyuk?” he spoke, a sense of alarm in his voice, “Perhaps, since he has a guard assigned to him, you will not require my constant surveillance. I can inspect your room and make sure that your quarters are completely safe.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter