Puzzling

Puzzling

Taeyeon's hand roamed on the side table, she reached her ringing phone and read '❤ Fany' on the screen.

 

She stretched before picking up.

 

"Gerd morning, Fany."

 

"Morning, Tae! Still sleeping?"

 

"Yeah."

 

" I can call you later."

 

"No it's fine, I'm up now." Tae yawned.

 

"You sound tired."

 

"I am, but it's better to be woken up hearing your voice than Minjoo unnie's."

 

"Your morning sweet mouth" Tiffany smiled.

 

"Guess you like it." Teased Taeyeon.

 

"I watched some fancams from your concert last night."

 

"Did you? How was it?"

 

"You're ing awesome Tae!"

 

"My what??"

 

"You are, not your. Fix your English, ."

 

"Hahaha, FYI both are awesome."

 

"Too much information."

 

Taeyeon laughed.

 

"Tae.."

 

"Yes? Oh hold on, Minjoo unnie is knocking"

 

Fany heard door clicking, then she heard Minjoo unnie's voice.

 

"Who are you talking to?"

 

"Tiffany."

 

"Hi Fany!" Minjoo unnie shouted.

 

"Hi unnie!" Tiffany chuckled at Taeyeon's ear.

 

"Tiffany said hi."

 

"But you guys only have ten minutes."

 

"I know," Taeyeon groaned.

 

"I'm sorry Fany."

 

A sigh.

 

"Fany?"

 

"Yes."

 

"So, where were we? " Taeyeon asked.

 

"Tae, remember my Kaonashi puzzle that you bought for me?"

 

"On Halloween?"

 

"Yeah, that one."

 

"Of course. Have you finished it?"

 

"I'm about to, but some pieces have gone."

 

"Have you looked for it?"

 

"Around the house. I even found my old reindeer hat on the top of kitchen cabinet, only God knows how it could be there."

 

"Aww that ."

 

"5 minutes!" It is from Minjoo unnie

 

"It's five minutes already?"

 

Silence

 

"Is that fine?"

 

"It's not fine." Tiffany answered.

 

"Are you mocking me?" Taeyeon laughed.

 

"Do you really have to go now? I still wanna hear your voice."

 

"Hahaha now you're mocking my album title."

 

"Not in the mood Tae."

 

"My bad."

 

"Actually..."

 

"Yes?"

 

"Forget it."

 

"I don't have time for guessing, Fany."

 

"I miss my puzzle piece."

 

"I know, and I promise I will help you find the pieces right away I reach Seoul."

 

A sigh.

 

"Anything else?"

 

"Nope. Break a leg!"

 

"Thanks, I wonder how I didn't break mine with those of sky-high boots."

 

"1 minute!"

 

"She is so scary, I gotta go. I'll call you later Fany!"

 

"Bye.."

 

-

 

Taeyeon was doing her make up for her second day concert when she checked messages on her phone that she hasn't checked since she landed.

 

There are four messages from her girlfriend.

 

22:18

❤ Fany: How's the concert? How's Taiwan?

 

Like you said, ing awesome.

 

01:08

❤ Fany: You must be sleeping. I'm doing kaonashi puzzle rn, but I think I lost some pieces.

 

Aww I'm sorry.

 

03:09

❤ Fany: Ah! That day I spilled the puzzle box by accident and scattered the pieces on the sofa. I remember I saw your handbag there. Could you check it? Somehow they might jump into it.

 

Oh? She didn't mention about it on the phone.

 

05:08

❤ Fany: I can't sleep. I miss my puzzle piece..

 

Heck she hasn't slept at 5?! What's the matter with this puzzle??

 

"Oppa, could you grab my handbag over there?" She asked Mr. Jang, who sat in the corner of the room.

 

"Here you go."

 

"Thanks, oppa."

 

Taeyeon pulled stuffs out one by one from her handbag.

 

Puzzle, puzzle, puzzle voice in her mind.

 

Journal,

 

Not puzzle.

 

Wallet,

 

Not you.

 

Perfume,

 

Not you.

 

Sketch book,

 

No.

 

Purple pony plush.

 

Fany's is pink, it made Taeyeon smile.

 

That's all, she couldn't find it.

 

Oh wait, what is this?

She took her wallet again, something stuck in it. Taeyeon opened the wallet and three puzzle pieces fell on her lap.

 

There you go! Yah, you made my Fany staying up whole night!

 

"Unnie, excuse me for a moment I need to go to the restroom." Taeyeon grinned at make-up unnie.

 

"Sure, but don't ruin your make up!"

 

"I won't."

 

Taeyeon went out and made a call.

 

"Hello Tae!"

 

"I found your puzzle pieces."

 

"You've read my text? Thanks!"

 

"There are three of them. Is that all?"

 

"Perfect!"

 

"Ok, just want to tell you that."

 

"Your flight home is tonight, right? So I will see you tomorrow morning and have breakfast with you before work."

 

"No, I'll be home the day after tomorrow."

 

"What?? Tonight is your last concert and you didn't tell me anything before."

 

"Well, I'm telling you now. Unnie had booked the tickets."

 

"You have show tomorrow??"

 

"Nope, just hang around the city and looking for some souvenirs. Is there any specific thing you want? I'll buy it for you. Maybe puzz-"

 

"Then just comeback here!"

 

"Did you just raise your voice Fany?? What happened??"

 

"No, I'm not!"

 

"Yes, you are!"

 

Silence

 

"Look Fany, if someone should be mad right now it's supposed to be me. First, I know you didn't have enough sleep last night because of this puzzle. And now, you're asking me to come back earlier for same silly reason. I'm doing my job here and you know it."

 

She only could hear Tiffany's breath.

 

"Fany.."

 

"You're right, I'm silly."

 

"Not you, this puzzle thing!"

 

"You have to go, I'm hanging up."

 

"Wait,"

 

Click

 

Taeyeon pinched her nose bridge and let out a breath.

 

Don't let this affects your concert too, Taeyeon. She talked to herself.

 

And it didn't!

Taeyeon nailed the concert, fans was so great and it made her happy, only she couldn't get Tiffany out of her head. Taeyeon even used Tiffany's "You are ing awesome!" for her fans.

 

Behind the curtain, Taeyeon thought again about little argument she had with her girlfriend. Taeyeon missed her so bad. No message or call from Tiffany that night, Taeyeon fell asleep holding her phone.

 

-

 

Tiffany opened her apartment door, she had this headache, so she walked toward her bedroom. Tiffany was going to throw herself on the bed when she saw a familiar figure curled up in her bed, it was a she, it was the she, it was Taeyeon. She was sleeping, her long black ombre hair fell lazily around her face and some on her striped button up.

 

Tiffany wasn't surprised by how her girlfriend could get into her place since she shared her door code sometimes ago, but what made her surprised that Taeyeon was supposed to be still in Taiwan according to their last conversation.

 

Taeyeon looked drained, Tiffany was about to covered Taeyeon with blanket but she stirred up,

 

"Fany, you're home?"

 

"I am. How did you get here, Tae?"

 

Taeyeon sat up gained her consciousness, then she patted a spot beside her.

 

Tiffany shook her head.

 

"Why?"

 

"You're mad."

 

"No, I'm- oh well, I was, but I get over it."

 

Tiffany sat down, but there was an awkward distance and heavy silence between them.

 

"I flew on first flight this morning, so I can meet you before you go to work, but it got delayed, and you had gone when I'm making it here." Taeyeon talked first.

 

"Then you waited and fell asleep?"

 

Taeyeon nodded.

 

"I'm sorry." Tiffany looked down at her lap.

 

"Come here!" Taeyeon opened her arms, Tiffany naturally fell into Taeyeon's embrace.

 

"Oh!" Taeyeon broken up their hug.

 

Tiffany was about to protest but Taeyon pulled her hand, "Here, your puzzle pieces." Taeyeon put them on Tiffany's hand.

 

"No, you can keep them."

 

"I'm sorry?? But you are the one who asked me to fly home early for this."

 

"Really Tayeon?"

 

"Yes! You said you miss your puzzle, like fifth or what was it hundred times? You even stayed up whole night for these."

 

Tiffany rolled her eyes.

 

"I said I miss my puzzle."

 

"Yes, I said that too."

 

"I missed my puzzle piece, biggest piece of my heart, but right now she is in front of me."

 

Taeyeon flustered.

 

"It is you. I missed you, Taeyeon. I stayed whole night because of you."

 

"So clueless, aren't you?" Tiffany added.

 

Taeyeon pulled Tiffany into her embrace again,

 

"I missed you too. You and your puzzle analogy, I'm just so bad at it. I'm also sorry for not expressing it better than you, but I can make sure I missed you more than you missed me."

 

"Yea, you can say I'm a romantic."

 

They stayed releasing all the longing.

 

"You had lunch, Tae?" Tiffany talked again.

 

"Nope, I'm starving to death."

 

"I'll make you sandwich." Tiffany pulled away from the hug.

 

"Later. Stay like this for now." Taeyeon tightened her arms around Tiffany.

 

So did Tiffany.

 

"You smell good." Tiffany inhaled in Taeyeon's crook neck and smiled against it.

 

A giggle, "You love it?"

 

"Yes, I can breathe in your scent all day all night. I love you, Tae. Every piece of you, it's just fit perfectly."

 

"Shut up and just kiss me, Hwang!"

 

Tayeon cupped Tiffany's face, they stared into each other's soul.

 

Taeyeon leaned forward, Tiffany closed her eyes prepared for the kiss as she made a mental note, "Thanks Mom for reminding me changing the bedsheet this morning!"

 

"Ew!!" Taeyeon pull away just as their lips touched.

 

"What happened?!" Tiffany opened her eyes in shock and saw Taeyeon grimacing.

 

"Your nose! Bleeding!"

 

"NOOOO!!"

 

Taeyeon rolled on the floor laughing her off.