[1/1]

Love and Live
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Vivi couldn't comprehend any human emotion or feelings. She could outperform humans in anything. Intelligence. Strength. Speed. But feelings? Vivi was at a loss. Seeing her... friends (if she could even call them that) so in love, she couldn't describe it. She couldn't feel anything so she didn't have an explanation for it, but Vivi just blankly stared and kept wondering what it would be like to experience emotions.

And it wasn't like Vivi couldn't figure out what others were feeling. She had learned to read on facial and social cues. Smile equals happy. Frown equals upset. Tears equal sadness. Those were easy to figure out but sweet stares? Blushing? What did those mean? And laughing at nothing while staring off in space? Sparkling eyes? Is that what they called... love? 

Like right now, Vivi is staring at Haseul and Hyunjin from the classroom window. The two girls are enjoying free period by just spending time together. Haseul would occasionally brush her hand with Hyunjin's while giving her this gentle stare. In return the younger girl would nervously laugh and look away with a light blush adorning her cheeks. And while Hyunjin wasn't as forward as Haseul, Vivi had caught the taller one giving the older girl the same look she has when she sees bread when she thinks no one is looking. Vivi is not sure how Haseul compares to bread but Hyunjin said she loves bread so she figured bread equals Haseul, therefore Hyunjin loves Haseul.

So complicated... and very strange. Sometimes Vivi knows it's better for her to not have feelings, it makes things less troublesome. No attachments, no drama, no problems whatsoever. But then... that's not fun... What is fun? Vivi had hung out with the girls after school on many occasions and seeing how they all laugh and smile and joke around... that's what fun seemed to be. Will she ever get to personally experience anything to its full potential? Or will she remain a cold piece of metal?

An annoying beeping got the robot out of her thoughts. It was the alarm to signal when her battery was running low and it was time for her to charge. Vivi pulled herself away from the window, dismissing having any more thoughts about the human girls and sat at her desk. She parted her hair to expose her neck revealing the charging port located there, then she took the cord of her "backpack" and plugged it into the fissure in her skin. Once it was secure, her charging pack on her back perfectly, she lowered her head and closed her eyes. It would take a while for her to regain all of her energy back so she would sleep for a bit while that happened.

Another downside to Vivi being a robot was that she unluckily wasn't able to have dreams. But she did have "memories." Whenever something memorable at school happened she would literally record it through her eyes and store it in her memory card. She then could select any and replay them in her head like a movie, so that's what she did. She picked the day were three girls approached her and asked her to be friends. Vivi didn't know why she always chose this one.

 

 

A few moments later outside of the classroom. One of the human girls, Heejin, began to wonder where the pink haired girl was. She hadn't seen her for quite a while, and it wasn't unusual for Vivi to disappear and wander by herself, but lately Heejin had been growing more curious towards her. Hyunjin saying she was crushing on the girl but Heejin smacked her on the arm and told her that was not true. Haseul however reassured her that it was nothing to be embarrassed about. She told both her friends it was not like that! Yet... Heejin is actually not even sure about her feelings for the mysterious girl.

She let out a breath to snap herself out of it. Right now wasn't the time to think about the way she felt, she just wanted to find Vivi and ask her if she wanted to hang out after school. Haseul had proposed for them to walk around the city and relax before their upcoming track tournament. They already met three days a week for track practice, but after today they would change their schedule and start training six days a week after school for two weeks. 

Vivi was still new to the city. She had moved at the beginning of the year and the serious girl didn't seem like the type to go out a lot, so Heejin wanted to change that. She wanted to show her around, go to her favorite hang out spots and hopefully get Vivi to loosen up a bit. The pink-haired girl was always so serious, Heejin had noticed. It's true that there's people with a serious personality but Vivi was so extreme. Heejin also wondered if it had to do with something at home or from her past? Maybe the reason she moved.

All these thoughts, Heejin was really concerned but at the same time she didn't want to pry. She wanted to look out for Vivi for a reason Hyunjin had already told her, although she still insisted she was just trying to be a nice friend. Friends look out for each other. She wants to become a friend Vivi can learn to trust or at least be comfortable enough to let her guard down and show a smile. Never had she seen the latter smile, actually Vivi never seemed to show much emotion towards anyone or anything. Heejin didn't hold it against her. She would just have to work harder to make Vivi feel comfortable.

The younger girl was running out of places to look for her. She had already checked almost all the places Vivi frequented. She wasn't by the track field, her locker, or the basketball court. She even looked for her by the bathrooms or the fenced gate and nothing. Where could she be? Free period would be over in half an hour and she wanted to find the older one before then. Finally Heejin decided to just look in every classroom, might as well. She casually peeked into every class hoping to see the girl with bright pink hair only to be met with disappointment every time.

Finally after what seemed like forever, Heejin had reached the end of the corridor where the empty classrooms where and not one sign of Vivi anywhere. This was the empty section of the school in general and it honestly gave her the creeps. She was about to go back when among the silence she heard a beeping noise. It sounded like a warning signal that could only be turned off if you tended to it. Curiosity got the better of her so she followed the noise. With careful and quiet steps she headed towards the direction of the sound, leading her to one of the empty classrooms.

When she peeked inside to find what was the cause of the noise, she saw something not in a million years she would've imagined. On the plus side she found Vivi, but she also found something else. The noise had stopped but that was only because the older girl had turned off the alarm... by plugging herself into what seemed to be an energy source disguised as her backpack and began to recharge. Vivi then put her head down on the desk and closed her eyes, taking a nap and trying to squeeze as much sleep as she could with the remainder time they had.

Heejin pulled herself away from the window blankly. Was that real? What was she? Some kind of... technological being? There was no way she was human after what she had just witnessed. Heejin started looking back on all of Vivi's behaviors. She had never seen her drink or eat. She never showed any emotion. She was extremely smart and she had outstanding physical ability. Could it be...? Heejin peeked inside the empty class again as she already had a pretty good idea of Vivi's real identity. The weird thing however, wasn't that she had found out Vivi was a robot, it was that Heejin found herself not caring.

Oh if Hyunjin knew about this she would surely smack her upside the head and call her crazy. Obviously she wouldn't tell her though, or Haseul for that matter. It was not her job to out Vivi like that without talking about it with her first. Besides, it wasn't like they would believe her from the get-go, they would surely call her insane. In the end she just walked away, wanting Vivi to regain her energy back peacefully. She could tell her about their plans after school later, after classes ended. They still had the whole day ahead of them anyway, there was no need to do everything now.

Was this how liking someone made you behave differently? How people say one becomes dumb and blind, could this possibly be reflected from that? People always tell her she was really open-minded so this scenario could fall into that category as well. But who was she kidding... Hyunjin's teasing from earlier echoed in her head again. The reason why she didn't feel scared of Vivi was clear as day, but she still didn't want to admit it without at least spending more time with Vivi. There was no need to rush, she had found out enough for today.

 

 

"Heejin, let's go!" Said an excited Haseul at the front of their group outing.

The shorter girl grabbed onto Heejin's arm and dragged her along to walk with her side by side. 

"Hey, what about me!" Hyunjin complained.

Haseul gave her a mischievous grin. "You can stay there."

Hyunjin gaped. "Rude. Showing favoritism for Heejin, I'm hurt."

Heejin rolled her eyes. The two were so ridiculous teasing each other like this. As if it wasn't obvious that the two couldn't stay apart for long without going crazy.

"You can stay back with Vivi," Haseul proposed.

Heejin's smile from her face dropped. That's right, Vivi had tagged along with them today. And like always, the girl–robot– didn't show any expression while the three of them were joking around and having fun. Heejin now understands that it wasn't Vivi's personality but maybe the robot just wasn't capable of feeling anything at all. How sad.

Hyunjin looked back at the pink-haired girl and smiled. "Okay. It's better if I stay with Vivi. You walk so slow, at least Vivi can keep up with me."

Haseul stopped dead in her tracks. Heejin knew this meant trouble and held in her giggles. 

"What?" Haseul dared her to say that again.

Hyunjin shook her head. "Hey it's nothing to be ashamed of. Not your fault your legs are short. I can take two strides and I'm ahead of you by two meters so it's better for you to walk with Heejin."

"Kim Hyunjin," Haseul grit her teeth. "Do you want to get hit?"

And that was Hyunjin's cue to make a run for it. Dashing ahead of Vivi, past Heejin, and far away from Haseul who in return was running after her as well.

"Come back here Hyunjin! I dare you to say that one more time!" Haseul's voice echoed from far away.

Heejin couldn't hold it in anymore and laughed to her heart's content. If only they put that much effort and could run that fast during track practice. She looked back to the other member of the team and Vivi was standing there with her backpack, looking at no one in particular but she knew she was still paying attention to her.

The younger one took a deep breath to gain courage before walking to her. She gave her a light smile before popping the question.

"What do you want to do?"

Vivi then turned to look at her, same stoic look as always. "What... I want?"

Vivi seemed troubled by the question as she wasn't quite following the meaning.

"Yeah," Heejin affirmed, "Want. You can tell me something you like and I can figure something out or something you don't like and we won't do anything of that sort."

Vivi still wasn't following. "Like...?" The robot wanted to ask what that feeling meant but that would surely blow her cover and she didn't want that. Instead she looked ahead pensive, thinking on past experiences she had observed with others about liking.

Heejin gave the robot a sad smile. Vivi didn't know what want or liking was. Something so simple yet so complex to the pink-haired girl.

"You can't understand emotions can you?"

Hearing this made Vivi's head snap back towards the slightly taller girl.

"Robots don't have feelings." Heejin added on.

Vivi didn't say anything for a while and at this Heejin grew uneasy. Maybe that wasn't the best way of letting her know that she was aware of her identity. What if now Vivi would distance herself? Would she move again? Or worse, would she have to exterminate Heejin for knowing something she wasn't supposed to? Okay maybe she had checked out a few sci-fi books and read them during tutorial instead of working on her homework today but give her a break! This wasn't something that happened everyday!

But Vivi wasn't going to do any of those options. The only thing the robot said was, "So you know."

Heejin gave her a belated nod. That's it? That's all she the response she was going to get? She would be scared by the calm tone if it wasn't for it being the same tone Vivi always had.

"And you still want to be... friends?"

Heejin's eyes widened momentarily. That's what Vivi was thinking about this whole time? That's what she was worried about? "Do you understand friendship?" Could she possibly get any cuter?

Vivi shook her head. "Not really. But I understand that it's really important and it can be broken if one is not careful."

Heejin smiled at her. "Well you're not wrong." She extended her hand for the robot to take. "Come on. We can go to the places I like and that way you might be able to understand the feeling."

Vivi looked at Heejin's hand for a while, not sure if she should take it or not. Heejin didn't mind, she knew Vivi was still new to everything, from then on she decided she would help the robot understand.

"Okay." Vivi accepted and grabbed her hand. Like that the two walked side by side without letting go.

"Do you like it?" Heejin asked.

Vivi looked at her. "Like what?"

"Holding hands." 

Vivi was troubled again. She couldn't

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter