-1-

Student Council Secrets

(JYP Academy)

Kim Dahyun stood at her locker, a box in front of her. It was an hour since school let out and she was packing her belongings, and at the same time, throwing things that she didn’t need away. Today was her last day at JYP Academy, after the weekend, she would be a new student at Fantagio Academy.

“Good riddance’ she thought to herself. No one knew that she was leaving except the principal who had tried to convince her to stay but after that one day, she couldn’t handle being in this place much longer. ‘After I leave this school, no one will remember me. I can start fresh somewhere else and this time, everything will be different. I won’t let myself be fooled again.’ She took a look at the polaroid photo that still hung in her locker. Three once happy faces, she felt disgusted. She ripped the photo in half and threw it in the garbage but it fell on the floor.  

She bent to pick it up but someone standing in front of her picked it up instead. Dahyun came face to face with her former best friend Mark Tuan.

Mark looked down at the torn photo his eyes glazing slightly.

“Is it true? You’re really leaving?” he asked his voice slightly wavering.

She glanced at him but chose to ignore him and continued packing her locker.

“Dahyun” he said louder.

Dahyun let out a sigh and turned to look at him and noticed his change of uniform jacket.

“Nice uniform” she stated and went back to clearing out her locker.

“They announced the change to the council today.” Mark said and sighed, “The principal came in halfway and told Jaebum and I that you were leaving. I ran out as soon as he said that. Why Dahyun?” he asked grabbing her wrists, forcing her to turn and look at him. 

Cold eyes met glazed ones.

“I thought you’d be happy Mark Tuan. You got what you wanted. Have a nice life.” she said forcing her grip out of his and turning to shut her locker for good. She picked up the box that contained her belongings. She started walking down the hallway but noticed a sweater that didn’t belong to her.

Taking it out, she threw it at Mark. “Give this to the president for me”  and continued out of the school.

“Dahyun!” Mark called again but she was gone.

 

(At Fantagio Academy)

The student council was wrapping up their final meeting before the weekend.

“The last thing on today’s agenda is that we’ll be expecting a new student in Class 2-A this coming Monday” Jennie Kim, the secretary of the council said, “Vice President Moon Bin and I have been assigned to show her around per the principal’s instructions.”

“What do we know about her?”  the Vice-President Moon Bin asked.

“Not much” Jennie said looking at the file before handing it to the president. “She was at the top of her class back at JYP Academy.”

“Omo” The treasurer Kim Myung Jung said in shock, “JYP Academy as in our rival school?”

Jennie nodded. 

“Mmmmm…. Top of her class, participated in volleyball and tennis…part of the debate team and student council…” Vice-President Moon Bin said reviewing the file from his spot next to the president. “Looks like an interesting one. She seems like she would be quite popular, why would she transfer? What do you think?” he asked the his best friend and student council president Cha Eunwoo who had been quiet this whole time.

After a moment in deep thought, he spoke. “I guess we’re going to have to find out” he said looking at her profile photo with a hidden smile. She was cute and looked like she would be popular, so why would a student like her want to transfer schools in the middle of the year?

 

(The Monday after)

Dahyun’s alarm went off at exactly 6:30am, and she was already awake. She spent the weekend preparing for her new classes at Fantagio Academy and also ignoring all calls from Mark and going as far as to tell her parent’s that if he visited to tell him that she was busy studying.

She got out of bed and did her usual morning routine, Her new uniform hung on her closet door, full ironed and ready to go.

As she was getting ready, she looked at her uniform for the umpteenth time that morning. She liked the uniform better than her previous one from JYP Academy. It was dark blue with a white inside shirt and the skirt had a golden line around the bottom.  

When the clock hit 7:30, she was walking out the door with breakfast in hand after about ten minutes she found herself standing in front of the gates of Fantagio Academy. Gulping, she took her first steps into a new beginning. 

After a few friendly students showed her where the office was, she told the secretary who she was and was shown into the principal's office.   

“Kim Dahyun, former student of JYP Academy. Part of student council, the debate team, played volleyball and tennis. Why would a student like you want to transfer here?” he asked. He was middle aged but good looking, Dahyun noted.

“It was time for a change” Dahyun said slowly, “For personal reasons” she explained with a small smile. 

The principal observed her for a moment but nodded with a smile of his own. “ I understand.” he said, “The people who will be showing you around should be outside by now.” he got up and opened the door ushering two people in. One girl and one boy.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Kim Jennie-nimida, I’m the secretary for the student council” the girl introduced herself with a smile.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Moon Bin-nimida, I’m the vice-president of the student council.” the boy said with a smile.

“Kim Daehyun-nimida” Dahyun said with a bow.

“Well, I’ll leave you three to it then” the principal said “And Dahyun-shi”

“Neh?” she asked looking at the principal.

“Welcome to Fantagio” he said warmly before escorting the three out.

Jennie, Moon Bin and Dahyun walked towards Dahyun’s new locker, talking about various things about the school at the same time.

“Down that hallway is the gymnasium and the auditorium, and on the other side is the music department.” Jennie explained point in various directions as Dahyun nodded taking note.

They reached a row of lockers and stopped.

“This is the second year’s lockers” Moon Bin said, “this one’s yours, right in between mine and Jennie’s” he grinned.

“Thank you for showing me around” Dahyun said with a deep bow causing Moon Bin and Jennie to laugh.

“We’re all second years Dahyun-shi, no need to be so formal” Moon Bin said grinning.

Before Dahyun could respond, she felt her phone vibrate. She looked down and saw Mark’s name on the screen and hit reject. She frowned letting out a sigh forgetting that Jennie and Moon Bin were right there.

“Everything okay?” Jennie asked noticing the look at Dahyun’s face.

Caught off guard, Dahyun stuttered, “N-Neh” she smiled at them.

Jennie shared a look with Moon Bin. Something was bothering Dahyun, the smile that she had on her face was fake. That she could tell. From the moment she had met the new girl, she felt like she had a troubled past but knew that she shouldn’t push for her to open up right away.  

Moon Bin felt the same way, he was always good at reading people, and from the moment he had met Dahyun, he knew that something was bothering her. The sad look in her eyes deepened after she looked down at her phone. A feeling of protectiveness came over him suddenly and he became determined to know what was bothering her.\

“What classes do you have this semester?” Jennie asked Dahyun who looked down at her schedule.\

“Day 1, I have Calculus, Biology, Korean History, and English. On Day 2, I have Chemistry, Law, Art and Physical Education.” Dahyun read off her timetable.

“Omo! That’s great!” Moon Bin said with a bigger grin, “You have every class with Jennie or I. We can help you catch up.”

Jennie nodded next to him with a smile and bit her lip thinking of what she was going to say was appropriate and decided that regardless, she was going to say it anyway. “Whatever’s bothering you, I hope that you can trust us enough one day to let us in. You seem like a really nice girl and I hope we can eventually be friends.”

Dahyun stared at the pair in front of her with wide eyes, she had only met the duo for about thirty minutes but the feeling that enveloped her told her that the two could be trusted...eventually. She nodded with a more genuine smile and answered, “ I hope so too.”  

The three chatted about a few things going on in the school before the first bell rang. 

“So I guess it’s time for Calculus, come on, you can sit with us and you’ll meet our president too.” Moon Bin said offering her his arm like a gentleman, 

Dahyun looked at him weirdly but nodded taking his arm and Jennie linked her arm through Dahyun’s other arm.  

The three walked into the class and Moon Bin went to the teacher and introduced Dahyun to him. 

“Welcome Dahyun-shi, note that just because you’re new, you’re going to have to do a lot of catch up. We normally don’t have new students join our class in the middle of the semester but from what I can see from your grades are your previous school, I think you’ll do just fine. I have assigned Moon Bin as your tutor to catch up.” the teacher said handing her a textbook and a package.

“Neh, kamsamida” Dahyun said with a bow and went to sit with Moon Bin and Jennie who was chatting with an unknown boy. 

“Ah, Dahyun-shi, this is Cha Eunwoo, our student council president. Pres, this is Kim Dahyun, our new student.” Moon Bin introduced.  

Dahyun bowed deeply and blushed. He was really good looking like straight out of a K-drama good looking. ‘It’s nice to meet you Eunwoo-shi." 

Eunwoo stared at the girl observing her, she was cuter in person was his first thought. He saw that Moon Bin was grinning and Jennie was smiling so he took it that they both liked her. He gave her a warm smile, a smile that was only reserved for his friends. “Welcome to Fantagio Academy, Kim Dahyun-shi, I hope you enjoy your time here.” his voice was warm, and Dahyun could see why he would be the student council president.

She sighed, remember what it was like at JYP Academy but shook that thought out of her head. That was her past and Fantagio was now her future.

“Earth to Dahyun” a hand waved in front of her face and she snapped out of her daze and looked at Moon Bin who had asked her a question but noted the dazed look on her face.

“Mianhae, what was the question?”  she asked.  

“I was asking if you wanted to go to the cafe nearby after school so we can go through what you missed.” Moon Bin said.

“The four of us,’’ Jennie said looking at Eunwoo who was thinking but nodded his head. “We can all help you catch up.”  

Dahyun looked at the three shocked, she had just met them but they treated her as if she was one of them.  The only thing that made her hesitant was the fact that they were all part of student council, Moon Bin and Eunwoo being the vice-president and president respectively. 

She looked at Jennie who gave her a reassuring smile and she nodded. “Okay.” 

“Great!” Moon Bin clapped his hands together, “We’ll meet at the front gates after school then.”

The rest of Dahyun’s classes went by and she got to know Jennie and Moon Bin a bit more, Eunwoo was more quiet and only spoke when he needed to. The next thing she knew, it was lunch.

At the insistence of Jennie who literally grabbed her arm and dragged her to have lunch with them, Dahyun found herself sitting between Jennie and Moon Bin, like she had been through her classes.

She had realized that Jennie was really genuine and slowly opened up to her more. The two were talking about a recent restaurant that opened and agreed to go there for lunch that coming weekend.  Their conversation was interrupted when they heard a few voices coming towards them.

What she saw was four boys coming towards them, one walking slightly faster than the rest carrying a tray of food and another one chasing after him.

“Yah! Hyung!! That’s my food!” the boy chasing whined.

“Tsk tsk tsk, Yoon Sanha, dont you know the rules? What’s mine is mine and what’s yours is mine.” the boy said setting the tray down and was about to take a bite of the food before he noticed Dahyun. “Ah! Is this the new girl?” he asked excitedly.  

“That’s Kim Myung Jung” Moon Bin whispered in Dahyuns ear. “He’s our treasurer.”  

‘Aigoo, she’s so cute. I’m Kim Myung Jung but you can call me MJ aigetometop” he gave his best aegyo to her. 

“He’s also the oldest” Moon Bin whispered again. “17 years old in class 3-A. An embarrassment right?” he chuckled at the strange look Dahyun was giving MJ.

“Ahh! Noona!!” the one who was chasing MJ said waving excitedly. “Yoon Sanha-nimida,  I hope we can be friends!” he gave her his best buing buing right in her face cause her to almost fall backwards out of her chair.

“Yah! Yoon Sanha, have a bit more respect” a deep voice said and Dahyun looked up to see a blonde boy walking towards them with another boy. 

“Annyeong, Park Jin Woo-nimida.” he said holding out his hand, “Third year rep. And the person behind me is Park Minhyuk who is the second year rep.” 

The boy behind him nodded at her with a smile and wave.

“Also known as Rocky hyung and Jin Jin hyung!” Sanha said bouncing up and down and took his tray back from MJ who was eating it’s contents causing the two to start an argument. 

Dahyun couldn’t believe it, she had found herself sitting with Fantagios Student Council and from what she could tell, they were a lot different from the JYP student council. It looked like they were all good friends regardless of their age and positions.

What stuck out to her more was that Cha Eunwoo, the president was only 16 and second year. She looked at him, he had his chemistry book open in front of him in the midst of the chaos going around him and he had his lunch next to him where he was taking small bites of here and there. 

As if he felt her gaze, he looked up and stared at her giving her one of his warm smiles again.

Dahyun looked away with a faint blush to her cheeks. What had she gotten herself into?