Let Fate Decide

Let Fate Decide

On everyone’s eighteenth birthday, words appear on their arms about the purpose they serve in this life. Sometimes, it’s the career they are going to go into, sometimes it’s something they will invent. These words can determine who you are for the rest of your life. They determine your college, your work, your love. But, what if I didn’t want that? Do I get no say in how my life is going to playout?

I sat awake on the edge of my bed with family and friends surrounding. Everyone wanted to know what my fate would be as the clock struck midnight. To be completely honest, I couldn’t care less. It didn’t really matter what appeared on my arm. I would not be happy either way. I just wanted to sleep. 

“Why is everyone here? It's just stupid words on my arm.” I mumble under my breath, raking my pale, slender hands through my thick dark hair.

My family chattered endlessly in anticipation, keeping all eyes locked on my arm. They hadn't seemed to hear me before. Apparently they were more focused on my arm then on me.

The hand of the small clock situated on the wall in front of me ticked loudly, slowly inching towards twelve o’clock. The countdown had begun. It was like a new year’s party. Everyone waiting for the ball to drop and to recieve a midnight kiss from their significant other or long time crush. Except in this case, waiting for words, that don't matter, to appear on the pale arm of an average teen.

“5, 4, 3, 2…” 

One. Everybody stared at my empty arm. Seconds turned to minutes and minutes turned to hours. Nothing. A small smile creeped onto my tired face. I’m not going to lie, this is pretty satisfying. I wasn’t tied down to words on my arm, setting me up for the rest of my life. Friends and family filed out of my room, frowns of disbelief evident of their faces. The only people left in the room were my parents, shocked expressions still evident on their faces.

“Do you think that something is wrong with him? Should we call a doctor? Schedule an appointment?” My mom muttered softly to my dad who responded with a nod. I couldn't stop from rolling my obsidian eyes at the comment. 

Nothing’s wrong with me. Maybe, God or whoever plants these words on the arms of the people in the world is letting me off. My parents looked at me with a worried expression but I just looked on, bored 

“Tomorrow, we are calling Dr. Zhang to come and check you.” Dad informed me in a non negotiable tone. I let out a sigh, crawling under the covers of my twin sized bed. On the outside, I looked neutral but inside, I was kind of freaking out. Does this happen to other people? Am I all alone in this? There is one thing in life that I don't like and that's loneliness.

These thoughts kept me from sleeping that night. Sure, I kind of didn’t want to be tied down to words on my arm but, at the same time, what will this mean for the rest of my life? Do no words just mean that I’m going to be nothing? But, does anybody really mean anything? The words tell us our purpose but it still doesn’t mean much. We are just a speck of human existence. My existential crisis ended as the sun peeked its way through my curtains, signalling the arrival of dawn.

A short knock sounded before I heared the door creaking open slowly as Dr. Zhang walked in, equip with his medical bag and lab coat. He looked at me with a soft smile, sitting down on the chair situated next to my bed. I guess they made the call.

“Your parents told me about you. Words didn’t show up on your arm last night.” Dr. Zhang started, a mischievous glint in his soft brown eyes. “Well, I guess your fate is decided for you.” He continued cryptically, taking my arm into his hands, looking at my forearm. 

He gave nod of confirmation, his dyed blonde hair flopping as he did, before going downstairs. Through my confusion, I could hear choice bits of their conversation. Something about a healing retreat and mental help. He came back upstairs not a minute later, extending his hand to me. 

“Come with me. I need to take you somewhere to test a theory I have.” He gave me a few minutes to pack a small back before ushering me downstairs and out to his car. I sat down in the comfortable seats of his black Mercedes, contemplating all the reasons why he couldn’t just check me at home. The car ride felt like hours. Crowded streets filled with people bustling turned to open fields with cows and the occasional farmer.

“Where are we going, Doctor?” I asked as we started to drive into a dark forest. Tall trees passed and I swore there was yellow eyes looking at me through the thick brush. “Don’t worry. You'll find out soon enough. We're almost there anyways. And another thing; call me Lay, not doctor.” He answered as we drives deeper and deeper, the light dimming until the only thing allowing us to see was the lights of Dr. Zha-I mean Lay’s car.

I thought we were going to drive to the end of the world. After what felt like hours, which was probably only 15 minutes, we pulled up to a huge mansion concealed by the thick forestry. I looked in awe at the elaborate design and grand doors.

“We’re here.” He said shortly, getting out of the car and leading me to the door. I couldn't pull myself together enough to form a reply. As we walked in, I was even more dazed by the sight. This house was the epitome of beautiful in my eyes. 

“I'll take you to meet the others.” Lay said, leading me into a grand living room where about ten other people were sat. I looked at everyone in confusion as they gave me a smile. 

“What's going on?” I asked in panic as a young, girly looking guy led me to sit next to him on the couch. He gave me no words but pulled up the sleeves to reveal his arm. It was just an arm. Nothing special about it, other than the fact that his skin looked absolutely perfect.

I gave him a ‘so what’ kind of look, confused. He let out a soft sigh, pointing back to his arm. Oh. I let out a stuttering scoff, looking around at everyone else in the room. He didn't have any words on his arm. Nobody in the room did, I concluded as I looked around at everyone’s exposed forearm. 

My soft giggles soon turned to loud, booming laughter. The rest of the people in the room looked at me weird before slowly joining in. The laughter slowly died down as I sat back up from my position pounding the couch. I made eye contact briefly with all of the guys around me before settling on the guy sat next to me. 

“None of you have words? I'm not alone?” I asked them, happy to have been able to find people like me. They all nodded with a soft smile. “Anything else I should know about? Are we aliens sent down to save the world? Take over the world?” I added with a goofy smile.

“Well…”

On everyone’s eighteenth birthday, words appear on their arms about the purpose they serve in this life. Sometimes, it’s the career they are going to go into, sometimes it’s something they will invent. These words can determine who you are for the rest of your life.

But, sometimes, nothing happens and you are pushed into a world you can't even begin to understand. This is what happened to me the day of my eighteenth birthday. My real story began. I was no longer the regular, boring teenager I was yesterday. I was someone with a true purpose in life, and I don't know if I like it just yet.

I'm part of a group consisting of twelve members, all with unique powers. We have a time controller and someone who can fly. Someone controlling water and another healing. All of us have something different about us and I'm no exception, I'll soon find out.

So maybe, the words on your arm truly don't mean anything. Even with nothing appearing on my arm, I was stilled destined for something. I can’t decide if that is a good or bad thing yet. 

My name is Oh Sehun, controller of wind, and this is just the beginning of my journey.