My Dream Is You

My Dream Is You

 

Yoo Si-ah, more well-known as Yooa, has done everything in her power to prepare for today. She has practiced non-stop, held long discussions with members from her group, and even made repeated revisions to create the perfect scene. So when she arrives at her filming site for The One Scene, she thinks she’s more than ready for anything that could possibly happen when filming.

 

Of course, she soon realises she had forgotten to take into account the most important part of today’s scene: the presence of one Kang Seul-gi.

 

Yooa stares at Seulgi as the latter walks through the doors of the dance studio where they are filming at. Seulgi, long brown hair falling past her shoulders as she bows to each and every staff member on-site in greeting; Seulgi, with her friendly, charming smile that one cannot help but grin at; Seulgi, with that pair of denim shorts that hugs her waist and hips and exposes her toned legs for the world to see.

 

God, how can such a beautiful human being exist in this world?

 

Yooa pats herself down, her fidgety fingers fiddling with her bangs. She finds it annoying that Seulgi can make her feel this self-conscious by just being around her, but if she really had to be honest, she only hates herself for feeling that way.

 

Because who could ever hate Seulgi?

 

Yooa is sure Seulgi knows, because everyone else does. The rest of the IDOT team, the staff, her members back at her dorm, even her brother - they’ve seen the looks she’s given Seulgi, the way her body naturally gravitates to lean against the older woman’s. Another thing Yooa hates about herself, then: she’s always making her feelings too obvious.

 

Moonbyul, the wise oldest sister of the IDOT team, even suggested confessing. But how could she? Yooa would never dare to do such a thing if she wasn’t certain about the other party’s feelings. And this is Seulgi they’re talking about! What if Seulgi refuses her feelings? Then both of them would have to spend the rest of their filming days with some sort of awkward tension between them, and it would just be…

 

Yooa shakes her head in stubborn refusal. No, no. Better to keep things like this to oneself. Her reverie is interrupted when a slender hand lands on the crown of her head. “What’s wrong?” Seulgi asks, concerned.

 

Oh no, Yooa thinks. Seulgi’s face is too near to hers, lips in close proximity to each other’s. Yooa takes a shaky breath and attempts to convince herself to think of other non-Seulgi-related things. “Nothing, I’m just, you know, worried about acting.”

 

Seulgi laughs, an adorable little giggle that makes Yooa gulp. “Don’t worry!” Seulgi says, patting the younger woman’s head. “Just be your cute self, and you’ll be fine!”

 

Yooa blinks at the word ‘cute’, and hopes that she has enough makeup to hide the steady blush that is working its way across her cheeks. She nods at Seulgi’s reassuring words and quietly rehearses her lines, trying her best to block out the quiet chuckles from the director and cameramen.

 

*

 

Everything is going well. A bit too well.

 

Yooa is hyper-aware of how fast Seulgi is panting next to her as they lie on the wooden floor of the dance studio, how her chest is heaving as she breathes in and out after their dance practice.

 

“Do you know what my dream is?” Yooa asks, staring at the ceiling wistfully.

 

Seulgi glances at her and hums in contemplation. “To debut?” 

 

Yooa smirks, shaking her head. “My dream is…” 

 

This is it, she thinks to herself. Don’t screw up now.

 

“...you,” she finishes.

 

Inwardly, Yooa apologizes to Moonbyul; this is the only way she would ever be able to express her feelings. She easily runs through the rest of her lines like she’s meant to, injecting the right emotions and pausing at the right times. 

 

But then Seulgi grins. “So… I’m your dream?” she asks, her voice teasing.

 

Yooa’s ears turn red, and she quickly covers them so Seulgi doesn’t notice. “Nope!” she announces, hoping Seulgi wouldn't be able to see through her flimsy cover-up of a confession. 

 

The two giggle like a pair of schoolchildren. Seulgi’s hand snakes up to lightly tap Yooa’s shoulder, and Yooa turns to look at her.

 

“I’ll be your dream.”

 

Seulgi's voice is heartfelt and sincere. Yooa’s heart beats erratically against her ribs as she rolls onto her side and instinctively cups Seulgi’s face with her hands, her eyes searching for a reaction.

 

Seulgi doesn’t flinch, nor does she attempt to move away. She just gives the smallest, but most encouraging, of smiles.

 

That’s it. That’s all Yooa needs as she pulls Seulgi in and gently kisses her.

 

Yooa feels like she’s in heaven. Seulgi’s lips are soft like the pillows they share while resting on set, sweet like the fruits and sugary candies they snack on together.

 

She’s faintly aware of the director muttering “Cut”, of the cameramen shifting away their camera lenses and staff looking away to give the pair some privacy. Yooa breaks the kiss first, much to her own dismay. Sitting up, she finds it difficult to look at Seulgi, overcome by shyness.

 

“I, well, I…” Yooa struggles to form a coherent sentence, and ends up scratching the back of her neck awkwardly.

 

Seulgi chuckles, sits up, shifts closer. “I like you too,” she whispers, and leans in for another longer, more passionate kiss.