The Man in the Disco Room

The Man in the Disco Room

Blackpink just finished their vocal training and now having lunch in the cafeteria.

“Kimchi stew~”, said Chaeyoung happily.

The girls were enjoying their food while talking when YG dancers, Krazy, came in for lunch also. They greeted each other cheerfully.

Minjung stayed at their table a little longer.

“Yo Lisa-ah! My friend opened a dance studio a few months ago. Feel free to check it out if you’d like!” Spoke Minjung while giving Lisa a business card.

“Class Zero?”, Lisa read the card.

She nodded. “Yeah. It’s a nice getaway studio from time to time. There’s even a gym and indoor pool.”

“Do you often go there too, unnie?” Asked Jisoo.

Minjung smiled. “Yeah I take Krazy there for practice sometimes. There’s the VIP floor and what’s cool that it has it’s own enterance. Very convenient for idols or celebrities that doesn’t want to be seen by public. They also can adjust the time for VIP users.”

“We should check it out sometime”, said Jennie.

“Yay! Anyways if any of you do want to go there, let me know so I can call my friend. She’ll give you big discounts for the first few visits!” Minjung gave them an electronic pass card. “Just use this to enter through the VIP one.”

Lisa’s eyes sparkled. “Whoah you’re giving us the pass card already? Thanks unnie!”

Minjung grinned. “I have a few to give away to special people. I am my friend’s unofficial marketing staff I guess. Anyways, I’m going to promote this to Winner and Ikon as well.” She got up from their table. “Sorry for the intrusion, girls. Don’t forget to call me if you’re ever interested going there, okay? That way your card can be activated.”

The girls nodded then Minjung went to queue for the food.

---

It was a week after the talk and Lisa was lying boredly on her bed. Jennie was having dinner with her mom. Jisoo was having a meeting with the other Inkigayo MCs. Chaeyoung was having a spa day. Dalgom went in and rest himself on Lisa’s stomach.

“Ouuuuh Dalgom! Accompanying me while your owner is away?”, asked Lisa while his ear.

Lisa felt her stomach starting to rumble, Dalgom gave a low bark. “Ah should I just order some food, Dalgom?”

She scooped Dalgom in her arm and got up to her dressing table. A half black-neon blue card caught her attention.

“Hmm Class Zero huh…”

---

Lisa swiped the VIP card and was ecstatic when the door opened. The VIP enterance was located at the back, while the public enterance was at the front. She took the staircase that led straight to the second floor, the VIP section.

“Hip-hop room… Hip-hop room.” her eyes scanned the names of the five rooms available. All the rooms were 90% soundproofed.

EDM room. Rock room. Pop room. Aaah Hip-hop room! A delighted smile hung on Lisa’s face. She glanced over to the Disco room located at the furthest. It was already reserved by someone. She wondered which celebrity or idol was using it. She shrugged then entered the dance room with a happy tap dance.

The wall was painted with full graffiti. The words ‘No Diggity’ was written hugely on the centre.

“Whoahhhhhh~.”

Now Lisa was excited to try the other rooms some other time. She put in her mixtape cd then enjoyed the comfort of music and dance blending in.

Three hours later, she was sitting on the floor, panting.

“That was a good work-out. Aahhhhh”, she wiped her sweat with a small towel. It was actually nice being in another dance studio besides YG’s, where there were no interruption from staff or other people.

She looked at the time. 10.30 PM. Hmm since there’s no morning schedule tomorrow how about I try the swimming pool?

She got up excitedly and brought her gym bag along. She peeped outside. Silence. She walked slowly to the lift and even tip-toed silently when she passed the Disco room (but puffed a relieve since it was already empty now).

“Whoahhhhh~~”, said Lisa excitedly as she came out from the girls’ changing room. It wasn’t an olympic size pool but the ceiling was very high and it just made the whole room felt really big and huge.

She put the towel around her neck and sat at the edge of the pool, letting half of her legs in the water. She was humming when she realized that someone was in the water. Apparently it was a he and he was doing a stroke.

Lisa gasped in surprise then quickly pulled out her feet from the water.

Wait Lisa it’s just a human not a shark or something. She rolled her eyes then slapped her right cheek lightly. I thought I was alone.

She paid attention to the swimmer now. Nice . He’s a really good swimmer. And another voice chimmed in, with a really good body. Lisa shook her head. Shut up!

She immediately covered herself with the towel once the man got out from the pool. Wait, what am I doing??

A minute later she heard the man’s footsteps approaching her. She gulped.

“Excuse me.”

She had no choice but to lift her head and greet the man. She did so and her eyes widen.

He was a sunbaenim. Someone from EXO. For a moment she stared at him with hung open while trying to remember his name.

He also looked surprised seeing the face under the towel. “Oh it’s you.”

Lisa almost forgot her manner then quickly stood up to greet him. Unfortunately also lost her balance in the process.

“Whoops!” Said a quick responsive Sehun who automatically grabbed her arm to balance her.

Her face redden and she found it hard to lift her face up to meet his eyes. She quickly released her arm then bowed. “Thank you, sunbaenim! Sorry I was clumsy.” She was secretly relieved that she wore a long surfer top right now. And that he was already in a towel bathrobe.

He exhaled. “Are you planning on going swimming?”

“Y-yes”, replied Lisa.

He asked again, “You can swim though, right?” She felt his eyes examining her.

She raised her eyebrows. “Yes.” Is he underestimating me?

Half a minute passed by until he finally spoke, “Alright then. Enjoy your night swim. If you need anything you can call the owner or go to the third floor. You know her phone number right?”

She nodded. “Yes I know. Thank you, sunbaenim.”

“I’ll be going then.” He gave a small bow.

“Of course. Take care, sunbaenim.” Lisa bowed deeply.

She stared at his back until it dissapeared into the boys’ changing room. She led out a long breath she didn’t knew she held for so long.

“Oh my God Lisaaaaaa why are you like thisss?” She grabbed her hair in a slight frustration.

Okay Lisa. Calm down. At least you didn’t embarrass yourself by falling into the pool. Or worse, get him fall into the pool with you. Yes. Nothing to get worked up about.

She put her towel neatly at a chair then dived in the pool without hesitation.

“Sooooo colddddd”, said Lisa once she popped up for air. She started humming again while enjoying the water.

She didn’t realized a pair of eyes were watching her intently for about five minutes from the door of the boys’ changing room.

---

“Thank you so much for coming and trying my studio, Lisa-ssi!”, said Jung Yoona, the owner of Class Zero.

Lisa replied with a big smile. “It was my pleasure, Yoona-ssi! I love your studio! Ooh and nice swimming pool too! Thanks for checking up on me earlier.”

Yoona waved her hand dismissively. “Oh it’s nothing. Actually Sehun-ssi was the one who told me to check up on you. He had some concerns since you were alone and it was almost midnight.”

Lisa frowned. “Huh? Did he?” Omg did he not trust my swimming skill so much he thought I was going to drown or something? But on second thought, if I did drown no one was there to help me, so good point. And kinda sweet of him.

“Yes”, said Yoona with a nod.

“Does he come here often?”, asked Lisa randomly. She wasn’t really curious but she wanted to prepare herself if she ever bump into him in this studio again.

The owner nooded. “Yes. He’s quite a regular and comes whenever he’s free. Mostly in irregular times. He sometimes even leaves very early in the morning, around 3 AM the latest.”

She was surprised to hear that. Did he loved dancing that much?

Lisa was left to wonder.

---

Whew two hours of non stop dancing got me hungry like whatttt. Lisa came prepared this time. With sweat still dripping from her whole body, she opened the packed meal that Chaeyoung had prepared for her.

“Thanks Chaeyoungie~”, said Lisa before devouring the food.

She scanned the dance room. It was her third time coming to Class Zero and this time she got the Pop room. The walls were also filled with graffiti, drawing of pop singers like Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, etc.

The Disco room was yet occupied again and Lisa now knew who the regular customer was. He was always there whenever Lisa visited Class Zero (but they have never bumped into each other again).

He’s so diligent.

She opened the door slowly and peeped outside. To her surprise, Sehun was walking from the toilet to his dance room. He paused midway, stretching.

He looks so tired…

He was drenched in sweat. Dark brown hair was messy. He looked disheveled.

Lisa realized he looked more tired than the last time she saw him, which was around three weeks ago.

He closed his eyes and let out a deep breath before entering his dance room.

Lisa also closed her door quietly. She wondered why he looked so tired. He also looked slightly frustrated. She shook her head. Not my problem.

Half an hour later she left her dance room. She was about to go down by the stairs when she heard a faint singing coming from–

The Disco room?

She quickly looked around and tip toed her way to the Disco room. The door was slightly opened so Lisa braved herself to have a peek.

He was singing a song unknown to Lisa. Him? Singing? Isn’t he a rapper or dancer?

Sehun stopped suddenly then messed up his hair in frustration. Lisa put her hand to then slowly walked away.

She couldn’t sleep that night.

---

Lisa spent only an hour in the dance studio that day. She had kept her eyes on the Disco room since she came, and relieved to know that it was occupied per usual (she also made sure with Yoona).

She held up the packed meal she prepared. SERIOUSLY LALISA MANOBAN WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?

Lisa stomped her feet then twirled in agony. “AGH~!”

She sat on the floor helplessly. “Should I do this? Why? Why why why Lisa whyyyy.” Lisa grabbed her hair in a comical way. She eyed the packed meal for the longest time.

He didn’t come two weeks ago. And a week after that. Lisa already cooked for him thrice. Three freaking time!

She sighed. They say third time’s a charm. Not actually my favorite proverb though…

“Dammit Lisa, pull yourself together!”, she said as she stood up fiercely. She opened the door then firmly walked to the Disco room. She stopped at the door.

Okay you can do this. If this succeed, that means no more cooking for him. She nooded to herself. Why. In the first place. You cooked for him anywayyyyyy???

She paced.

Is this a bad idea? What if he thinks I like him? Nooooooo it’s not that I like him. Then she remembered his frustrated face. He’s in a group of nine people, of course he has to work hard to not get left behind by the others. I just symphatize. I’m sure he forgets to eat sometimes because of all the training he’s doing…

She paced again.

Should I just leave it at the door? Nooo what if he opened the door abruptly and the meal gets thrown away? She shook her head. Or maybe leave it, knock the door then run as fast as I can? Yes that sounds like a good option. She clenched her fist then gave a slight nod. She did a little stretching (to prepare for the run) then turned to the door again. Then she almost dropped the packed meal.

Sehun was standing at his door, looking at Lisa with full interest. His usual cool demenour was replaced by a smile that he truly tried hard to hide.

“You are certainly an interesting girl, Lisa-sii.”

Lisa wanted the earth to her in. OH. MY. GOD. WHY.

“…… Were you there the whole time?”, asked a dumbfounded red cheeks Lisa.

Sehun acted like he was thinking. “Hmm well I did see you pacing around. Shaking your head. Nodding. Then raised a fist before stretching. If those are what you mean ‘the whole time’ then the answer is yes.” He crossed his arms in front of his chest then raised an eyebrow, waiting for her to reply. He was wearing a white sleeveless hoodie that showed his toned arms–which Lisa found distracting.

She turned her back to him then slapped her forehead. Way to go dumb dumb. DUMB LISA!

While still trying to calm herself, she turned her body to him again. Then turned away again, still wasn’t able to look at his face.

Sehun let out a small laugh, which led Lisa to turned to him fully and meet his gaze.

“Oh sorry, I didn’t mean to laugh. It’s just… You’re just… so entertaining“, said Sehun who gave up trying to look cool in front of this particular hobae of his. He supressed his giggle.

Lisa blushed. She didn’t knew this certain sunbaenim was able to smile. Without wanting to think so much she shoved the packed meal to Sehun’s hands. Her face slightly looking down.

“What’s this?”, asked a shocked Sehun.

“For you sunbaenim!” She finally looked up then slowly walked backwards away. “Please heat it up first. I… Uh… HAVE TO GO HOME. BYE!” Then ran as fast as she could to the stairs.

Sehun could only look at her back with his mouth hung open. When she was completely dissapeared he tilted his head in confusion followed by a laughter a few seconds later.

“Why is she so interesting?” He wiped an invisible tear then grinned before closing the door. How come I just notice her now. Blackpink’s maknae with her big eyes and weird antics.

He looked at the packed meal he was carrying and wondered, “Why would she give me this?”

He shrugged then sat on the floor while carefully opening the containers. There was rice. Salted and steamed eggs. Fried tofu with soy sauce. Gimbap. Sundae. And kimchi. All neatly arranged in the two graded plastic containers.

His eyes widen. “What… Why…?” He froze for a moment, mind trying to take in the meaning of the food that were laid before him. Sehun shook his head then noticed a note glued to the top of one of the container.

[Fighting~!]

His mouth formed a smile automatically. What a strange handwriting. Then his eyes swept the food. She’s not even Korean but she cooked a Korean meal. For me…..? It’s been a while since he felt touched by someone doing something for him.

He looked at the time. 10.30 PM. I’m really hungry. Should I just eat and wonder why later?

Sehun was looking for something inside and outside the containers. When he realized what was missing he gave the longest and loudest laugh ever.

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH~~~!!”

Meanwhile, Lisa was screaming in Blackpink’s van.

“OH I FORGOT THE DAMN CHOPSTICKSSSSS!!!”

---

It’s been three weeks since the humiliating event, Lisa was now dancing in the Disco room.

“Yay means he’s not here. Disco room. Disco roommmmm~♪”

She tried to avoid coming to Class Zero since then, but her mind and soul were already itching to come back to her sanctuary. She called Yoona first to check whether the Disco room was available or not (Lisa had this logic if it’s available then it means Sehun is not coming).

Lisa walked around the room. She didn’t get why he liked this room so much. Sure it was a cool room. There was a disco ball hanging on the centre of the ceiling. The black walls were painted with neon graffiti. It didn’t look like a type of room Sehun of EXO would be attached to.

But then again Lisa, how would you know what he likes or not? You don’t know him, d’oh.

She clapped her hands. “Okay! Training time.” She opened a few youtube dance videos to try to learn some new moves.

An hour later Lisa was lying on the floor, panting. She slowly got up. “These bgirls moves are getting harder and harder.”

She finished her bottle of mineral water when she heard a knock on the door. “Coming!”

She opened the door, saw Sehun, and closed it again due to panic. Then she heard an ‘ouch’ and realized that the door had hit his nose. She immediately opened it again.

But she found a grinning Sehun instead of a hurting one.

“Why did I know you’re going to do that?”, spoke Sehun amazed by his precised prediction. He was wearing a dark denim collar shirt and black jeans.

Lisa quickly bowed. “Really sorry sunbaenim!” She straighten her body. “I was just–”

“Surprised to see me here?”, he finished her words.

She nodded slowly.

“Can I come in?”, asked Sehun. “Just so you know, there is one member from a certain girl group in the Rock room and she’s a big gossiper. If she sees me in the hall like this….”, he whispered.

Lisa didn’t need to be warned twice, she grabed his arm and pulled him in, checked the hall to see whether it was safe, then closed the door. She felt like she almost had a heart attack. She didn’t even care how messy she must have looked right now.

He was leaning on the graffiti wall. “So how does it feel to finally practice in my room?”

She frowned and chose her words carefully. “With all due respect sunbaenim, last time I checked this room is called Disco room, not Sehun sunbaenim room.” Omg Lisa you so brave!, thought Lisa while secretly worried of his reaction.

He nodded. “That is true. I’m just… kind of posessive of this room, you know?” His hand traced the wall fondly.

“I get that. I just don’t know why”, replied Lisa.

He hid a smile.

“So…”, they both started at the same time.

He raised an eyebrow. “Go ahead.”

“Why… Are you here? I mean, I thought you weren’t coming today that’s why I was able to book this room.”

“Ahh yes. I didn’t plan to come today, but I asked Yoona-ssi’s help to call me whenever you book a room”, explained Sehun. Face all cool.

Lisa was puzzled. “Why?”

He rolled his eyes. “Since a certain someone seems to be avoiding this place–or me to be exact–for the whole month.”

“Three weeks”, corrected Lisa.

Sehun faked a surprise. “Oh I didn’t knew you were counting? Well it feels like a month for me.”

She blushed. Dammit.

“Well it’s not like we come here to meet up regularly. Why would you be looking for me?”

He replied, “Because Lisa-ssi, you forgot the chopsticks. I know you’re a foreigner but leaving me a spoon and fork will also do, you know.”

She slapped her forehead. The humiliating feeling crept up inside her again and shown by her red cheeks. She looked down. “Uhm sorry… I guess I wasn’t prepared enough.”

She was alarmed of how his shadow got a bit too close to hers.

“I just want to ask; why?”

His voice was so near, she was afraid to look up at him.

He was bending over a bit. Curious to see her facial expression.

Look at me, and not the floor.

She shifted her feet. Feeling uncomfortable under his gaze. She looked up, only to be welcomed by the same eye level as him. Lisa turned her head, looking at anywhere but him.

“It’s not for you, okay, sunbaenim. It’s for me. I just needed to do it.” She spoke softly, “I heard that you were working hard on practising your dance. Or maybe even your singing. And I know how it feels like… Struggling to keep up with your unnies. And at the same time be the best that you can be so you won’t disappoint them, your company, or fans…”

Sehun realized that he was now hearing Lisa spilling out a piece of her heart.

She is a foreigner. Separated with her family. And have lived here all alone huh. Of course there are her unnies and friends, still… It must be a day by day struggle.

“So I just wanted to make and share the food to somewhat convey that you’re not alone. You’re not struggling alone. It just bugs me if I don’t do it.” Lisa unconciously smiled the preetiest smile and Sehun was aware of it.

He sighed. “So it’s not to get me to cheer up?”

She was startled by his question. “Eh? Uh… Well of course if it can get you to cheer up… I’d be happy as well…” Her face burned after saying those words. 

Omg Lalisaaaaa you don’t even know this guy and you were already babbling your inner thoughts and saying inappropriate thingssss! The truth is that you really wanted to cheer him up after seeing his distress but hell nooooo don’t ever say it to his faceeee.

Lisa bowed. “Sorry sunbaenim! I think I’ve spoken too much. I’m sorry if it made you uncomfortable.”

He put both of his hands on Lisa’s shoulder. Straighten her body up. “Stop with the bowing already.” Then patted her gently on the head. All with that poker face of his that somehow looked more gentler to her.

Lisa couldn’t stop the questioning look on her face.

He walked to the door. “Do you know why I like this room so much?”

She shook her head.

Sehun turned off the light. Darkness filled Lisa’s eyes. “Sunbaenim?”

“Uh I’m good at muay thai. Just so you know.”

She heard a chuckle and saw his siluet in the darkness. “I believe you.”

A hand grabbed Lisa’s and guided her to the wall with unreachable small windows at the top. There was a glow in the dark graffiti of an arrow pointing somewhere.

“Switch it on.”

The switcher was easy to locate (due to the glow in the dark arrow). She switched it on then heard a buzzing sound. Next thing she knew the disco ball sprung to live. It spinned slowly around and gave a white glow to the whole room.

“Whoahhhhh~”, Lisa was amazed of the new finding.

“Sit down”, said Sehun. He was already sitting on the floor.

Lisa obeyed and sat next to him. Not too close though.

“I like sitting here, surrounded by this view. I love black and white, you see. So this is like… Perfect. Especially when there’s a full moon. Like now, see the light coming through those small windows?”

Yes, Lisa could see it. She could see the moon light landing on his face, giving it a soft glow. It made him look beautifully terrestrial.

“It’s just like I’m in my own world. Just me and the darkness. And the whole world is outside this room…” All the worries fade away if only for an hour or so.

Lisa stared at the view in front of her. Now I get why he likes this room so much. It’s kind of hypnotizing. It’s his sanctuary.

“But sunbaenim, it’s not good to always be alone in the darkness.”

His eyes widen. He studied the girl beside him. She had no make-up on but still looked like a living doll, especially in the dark and enhanced by the moon light and soft glow from the disco ball. Her hair was messy because of the dance practice she did earlier. She wore a crop tee and hot pants. Sehun had to admit she looked kind of y. She reminded him of a rebel fairy. Hmm tinker bell?

“So do you want to accompany me?”, asked Sehun.

She stared at him. He stared at her back. They held the gaze for a while before Lisa opened .

“No.”

Sehun laughed hard. “Hahaahhaaa you’re amusing!”

Lisa frowned confusingly.

It took a minute for Sehun to muffle down his laughter. He eyed Lisa.

“…. What is it, sunbaenim?”

“Can’t you say my name?”

“Sehun sunbaenim.”

He grinned. “Good. I won’t budge if you call me just ‘sunbaenim’ again.”

A few minutes of silence passed by.

“Hey Lisa hobae, keep this a secret yeah?”

“Keep what a secret, Sehun sunbaenim?”

“This room.” He closed his eyes. You. Me. “It was supposed to be my secret only. But since I told you…”

Lisa nodded. “Okay.”

Then it’ll be our secret from now on, thought Sehun with a smile.

“How come I never see you coming here with your other members?”

Lisa took time to answer the question. “Same as you probably.”

Sehun nodded.

Because this is ‘our’ place.

“Lisa-ssi?”

“Hmm?”

“I did cheer up. Thanks.”

Lisa gave him her sweetest smile.

---

Two months later, Blackpink and EXO and other artists were on the Inkigayo stage for the winner announcement. They were going head to head for their comeback, but the winner was still the former champion, iKON. Everyone congratulated iKON, especially their hobae, Blackpink. Chanwoo was poking at Lisa and they both were joking together. That scene didn’t slipped away from someone’s gaze. Finally other artists beside the winner had to come down from the stage.

Chaeyoung, Jennie and Lisa left Jisoo who was still with her MC team. The EXO boys politely gave way to the girls while exchanging greetings.

Lisa could hear Chanyeol talking to Chaeyoung about how he loved Blackpink’s new single.

“I like your new hair”, whispered Sehun out of nowhere that made Lisa jumped in surprise.

“Sehun sunbaenim!” Lisa touched her brown ash hair. “Uh… Thanks?”

“That’s why you’ve been avoiding me in that place huh.”

Lisa quickly scanned the people around them. Seemed like everyone was talking to someone. But she noticed a few EXO members shooting confused look to Sehun.

“I did not”, replied Lisa through gritted teeth while smiling.

Sehun raised his eyebrow.

“Ok yes maybe. But it was only a week”, whispered Lisa with a hiss. “Both of us were preparing for a comeback anyways.”

“Padthai.”

“Huh?” Lisa looked at him confused.

“I want Padthai next time. And don’t forget the chopsticks.”

“And why should I make you one?”

“I just saw an unpleasant scene. That’s why.”

“What does that have to do with me?”, asked Lisa ever so innocently.

He secretly adored those pretty big eyes that looked naive. Sehun shrugged. “Because it does.”

Lisa wanted to hit him but held herself. They parted ways but Sehun’s eyes were still lingering at Lisa’s back. She suddenly turned around and stuck out her tongue at him.

“Sehunnie, did Lisa-ssi just stuck out her tongue at you?”, asked Chanyeol shocked.

Sehun laughed until his stomach hurts. “Yes. Yes she did! Hahahaha~.”

Suho looked at him worriedly. “What did you do??”

“Aah~ Isn’t she cute??” Their maknae wiped his tear. “Guys, how about Thai food for dinner? I’m really feeling Thai right now.” He grinned.

Sehun hummed and skip-walked, leaving his confused hyungs behind.