Your Hand in Mine

Your Hand in Mine

 


 

"Omma...would you—could you—ever forget someone you loved? Even if it it was a long time ago?"

"Of course not, honey. Even if I no longer love them, I'll still always remember them." Her mom laughs quietly. "I'm glad your dad isn't home right now to listen to this conversation. Why do you ask though, sweetie?"

"It's just...in my dreams I feel like there's someone important that I'm forgetting. I don't remember, but I miss that man. I miss him so much. This unknown person that I'm starting to believe I loved a while back, and still do now...Aish. You must think I'm crazy omma."

"I don't think you are. Maybe you did love him once upon a time. Even if you don't remember, he'll forever be engraved in your mind. It's easy to forget a stranger, but it's much harder to do with someone you gave your heart to."

 


 

Thinking back to the conversation she had with her mom, Ha Jin didn't think she was capable of forgetting someone she cared deeply for no matter how much time has passed. So who was this mysterious man in a mask that keeps appearing in her dreams? She couldn't put a name to his face, yet she wakes up crying every time she dreams of him.

She doesn't dare discuss this with anyone because it would only cause everyone to worry. All the people around her have been so cautious since she woke up from her coma, that she tries to be the old Ha Jin before the accident to calm their nerves. But everything is so vivid in that world that Ha Jin can no longer discern whether it's a memory or a figment of her imagination. She wants to believe that it's all a dream and forget; yet she feels like she should—needs—to remember that man.

Something about all those dreams over the past year makes her yearn for something that's not there. If the painful wrenching of her heart was a clear indication of something, it was that perhaps she had woken up from a very sad dream.

 

~~~

 

-1 year later-

 

"Come again!" Ha Jin bowed to the friendly customer in front of her, smile wide and face glowing. Makeup was something she was good at, and that she loved doing. What a wonderful sight it was to see someone content with his or her transformation.

Business had been booming since she came back, and for that she was thankful. Being busy meant that her mind could be at ease—something it hadn't been for a long while. Resting her chin on her palm and elbow on the counter, Ha Jin drums her fingers, watching the throng of people go back and forth. She loved seeing people happy.

The Goryeo exhibition had been a big hit, both among the makeup lovers and non-makeup lovers. She remembered coming back from her coma and being able to accomplish that was something she didn't believe was possible. Her mind wanders to that distant, but odd encounter on that day where she was reminded of a painful past that she tried to forget.

 


 

"Did you know that the surname Go was Hae during Goryeo?"

"What a coincidence..." The curator of the museum looked surprisingly familiar, yet she couldn't quite match a name to his face.

"There are no such things as coincidences, Miss Ha Jin..."

"How do you know my name...?" She trails off, only then realizing her mistake when he pointed at her nametag. Embarrassed, Ha Jin changes the subject to makeup—the one thing she won't be able to mess up. "...This is Bulgarian rose oi-" Her words cut off as a certain voice flitted through her head—a very familiar one at that. As her brain conjures up a kind, handsome man, she feels lightheaded and begins to fall. If it wasn't for her coworker and friend, she would've fallen flat on the floor.

"Miss...are you alright?!" The curator's voice was but a distant sound in her ears.

 


 

After that incident, the mysterious dreams stopped appearing. She remembered. She remembers everything—the pain, the heartbreak, and the unforgettable memories. When she visited the painting section of the exhibit after work that day, she broke down. Seeing everything again piece by piece from her past was too much to bear. She missed Myung Hee. She missed the princes, but most importantly, she missed the person she left behind—Wang So.

Her mom had been right. How could she ever forget someone whom she loved? Would he forget her if he was here?

"Miss...Excuse me miss?" Ha Jin was pulled out of her reverie by a hand waving in front of her face. Not looking up, she bows in apology. "I'm sorry sir. How may I help yo-" She couldn't believe her eyes. Baek Ah. It was the 13th prince, here in modern day Korea. "Your Highn-"

Baek Ah cuts her off. "I...need help finding a gift for this girl I like." He blushes and sheepishly rubs the back of his neck.

How could this be? How was it possible? If Baek Ah was here, did that mean...

"OF COURSE!" She would help in any way that she could. If he was reincarnated, there was a slim chance that they'd be brothers again in this life. She would take that one percent chance. Bae—the guy in front of her looks at her weirdly. Upon realizing how enthusiastic she sounded, Ha Jin became slightly embarrassed.

"I mean...of course I'll help. That's what I'm here for." She gave him a friendly smile, but inside she was trying hard to compose herself. She missed her best friend.

He stuck out his hand, but realizing that there was paint on them, he quickly rubbed them on his pants. She giggled. He stuck out his—clean—hand again and she shook it firmly.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Baek Ah. Wang Baek Ah."

 

~~~

 

-6 months later-

 

"Ya! Ha Jin!" The bell chimed, signaling Baek Ah's entrance. She waves him over to her counter.

Over the course of a few months, they had reestablished their camaraderie from a thousand years ago. She valued this Baek Ah as much as the prince Baek Ah from Goryeo. Who knew helping him with his love life would bring them closer.

Baek Ah runs over, smile so wide that she could barely see his eyes. "What's got you so happy?" Ha Jin asks while packing up for the day.

"The girl I like agreed to go on a date with me!" The smile returned to his face right after he stopped talking.

"Finally. We were going to run out of makeup," Ha Jin teased.

"Ya! I'm the one giving you the money for this!" Baek Ah shoots back.

"For rich people like you, it shouldn't be a problem."

Baek Ah fakes mock hurt, with a hand over his chest and mouth agape. Suddenly, his smile turned mischievous and before she knew what was happening, he pulled her into a bone-crushing hug, cutting off her air supply.

"Thank. You. For. Helping. Me. With. The. Girl." With every word, he hugged her tighter and tighter until she thought she'd suffocate.

Only when he let her go in a fit of laughter—clearly satisfied with his revenge—did she smack him upside the head.

The idiot had the decency to continue laughing. Ha Jin watched him in utter disbelief.

"Let's go celebrate with drinks!"

He pulled her by her purse strap down the street, with her protesting and thrashing the whole way at how odd they must've looked.

 

~~~

 

"What's her name?" Slurred a drunk Ha Jin.

"Woo Hee. Her name's Woo Hee."

Ha Jin freezes, shot glass filled with soju lifted halfway to her lips. "What?"

"Woo Heeeeeee..." Baek Ah mumbles almost incoherently, and finally knocks out drunk next to her.

Were the gods playing a trick on her? How could Baek Ah and Woo Hee both be here? With another intertwined fate? She wants it to be true, because maybe, just maybe, she'd meet him again. She wants to. She needs to—even if it was just for a minute.

As Ha Jin's eyes droop and her head hits the table, her mind drifts off to thoughts of him.

Just this once, I'll embrace the pain if it means I can see your face again in my mind.

 


 

"Good night everyone!" Ha Jin bowed to her superiors and waved to her friends and co-workers.

Meeting Baek Ah again was very surprising, and that was an understatement to say the least. As Ha Jin's heels clacked on the pristine linoleum floor, she reached an arm up to rub her sore neck. Standing all day definitely took a toll on her body.

As she neared the Goryeo exhibition, an internal struggle was fighting through her. The popularity of the exhibit was so great; they decided to keep it as a permanent part of their store. She shouldn't look—not after last time—but she finds herself drawn to it, whether by her own accord or some divine intervention, she didn't know.

If Baek Ah's appearance proved something, it was that this was a sign for something wonderfully unexpected or painfully tragic.

Upon stepping foot into the area, she halts upon seeing a man dressed in black from top to bottom. A luxurious peacoat adorned his tall, lean, figure and his hair—chestnut brown—was swept neatly to one side. Ha Jin thinks nothing of it, only smiling to herself at the thought of a fellow Goryeo lover.

The harsh sound of heavy rain hitting the glass panes surrounding the exhibit led her to think that perhaps staying behind was a bad idea. That, and the dress she was wearing wouldn't be of any help.

Turning to leave, she realizes that the man was also doing the same. Only once he turned to walk away did she get a view of his side profile. It was him. She knew him. That high nose and sharp jawline was unmistakably like...

Running as fast as she could carry herself in her heels, she races after him, wanting to call out his name. What if she was wrong? What if this was just an illusion of missing him?

Right as she's about to reach her hand out to grab his shoulder, he was one step ahead and walked out into the pouring rain, hood flipped low over his head. Ha Jin sees his dark figure running to what she presumed would be his car.

She didn't follow him anymore.

 

~~~

Minutes turned into hours, hours into days, and days turned into weeks. She had come back every single day, waiting for him. Although she doesn't know if it was him; if he would even remember their story.

She promised to herself that today would be the last time she would visit; one last time to say the goodbye she never got to centuries ago.

She stopped hoping she would meet him again as the days got shorter, and the nights got longer. Though she had waited three years in the past, everyday without him here by her side was another day her heart was slowly breaking apart.

I have to forget you. I should forget you now.

The gods proved her wrong though, as standing there in front of her was the figure of a man she used to love—the one she said she would forget just seconds ago—staring at the enormous, regal self-portrait of himself in a past life.

She turns around to leave, but tears fall uncontrollably and before she knew it, she was sobbing into her hand.

Her feet wouldn't move, no matter how much she needed to leave. Her eyes were closed, crying and unaware of her surroundings. She was oblivious to the man that was walking up behind her.

"Excuse me...Are you ok?" His concern went unheard of by the woman crouched on the ground, overcome by her emotions.

When she realized she was still in public and was still in the company of a stranger, she tried to contain her tears. An awkward silence hung in the air.

She sees a handkerchief handed to her out of the corner of her eyes. Looking up, she comes face to face with Wang So. No, it was just a man with a face exactly like him.

"Are you okay?" He repeats the question with concern in his voice.

His face. His eyes. His voice. It was all the same. Could it be?

When she doesn't reply, he sighs and crouches down right in front of her. He hesitates at first, but then proceeds to wipe the tears from her face, which only resulted in a new onslaught of tears.

He doesn't remember.

She stares at him while he uses the handkerchief he offered earlier to continue with his task.

She assumes he must've realized she was staring because when their eyes meet, he offers a small smile. Despite her swollen eyes, red and puffy, she smiles back.

Even if you've forgotten, you're here with me. That's all that matters. That's all I need.

 


 

Ha Jin awakes in her own bed, head pounding from the massive hangover she acquired yesterday. She doesn't remember how she managed to get home, but that was irrelevant at the moment.

Rubbing her finger against her temple, she goes downstairs to relieve herself of a possible brain explosion.

Filling a glass with water, she pops an aspirin into and downs the water in record time.

Wondering if Baek Ah got home safely for his date this weekend, Ha Jin plops herself into the seat built into the windowsill and looks outside. The sunlight streaming in hurt her eyes, and she was forced to wait until they were adjusted to the harsh lighting.

It was one of those few nice weeks at the end of fall approaching winter. The doorbell rings, telling her she had a visitor. Problem was, she had no clue who it was or could be.

Opening the door revealed a similar hung-over Baek Ah, dressed in sweatpants and a hoodie. He was half asleep, leaning on the doorframe.

Hearing the door open, Baek Ah's head snaps up, mouth open to say something seemingly important, but all that came out was his usual friendly insult meant to provoke her.

"You look gross." Of course. She wasn't even surprised, since she was wearing one of her oldest, baggiest t-shirts and simple shorts. Holding a finger up—gesturing for him to wait— she runs upstairs, leaving a bewildered Baek Ah in her doorway.

Ha Jin comes back down with a mirror in hand, directly pointing it at his face.

Baek Ah screams—one unfit for a man—upon seeing his own appearance. Ha Jin yanked down his hood, revealing his usually neat hair sticking in all directions.

Horrified was an understatement as to how he looked. Frantically smoothing down his hair with his hands, he sticks his tongue out at her.

"I still look better than you."

She rolls her eyes. "Nice save, bird's nest."

With that jab at his hair, Baek Ah begins to smooth it down once more. When it was to his liking, he pointed finger guns at the mirror and winked.

"Ugh. Pretty boys are so egotistical." She smacks him with the mirror.

"Hey! I came here to invite you to my family picnic because I wanted you to meet Woo Hee and my crazy—but lovable—brothers and what do I get? I get smacked." He glares at her.

"Why should I go? I could spend my weekend sleeping."

"You're—he points a finger at her—going because you love me."

"You see, that's the problem right there."

"Hey!"

"What am I supposed to even do there? I don't know anyone."

"I'll introduce you to Woo Hee. She's reserved, but very caring once you get to know her." I know Baek Ah. I know.

She sighs, giving in. "Fine. But I'm only going for Woo Hee."

"Whatever encourages you to go, I'm fine with it."

"Plus...I'll judge if she deserves someone better." That earned her a flick to the forehead.

Baek Ah scowled, but his expression changed just as quickly. "I totally forgot!" He looked horribly worried. "I need to look presentable! That calls for new clothes." Ha Jin rolls her eyes for the second time since he arrived that day.

Shaking her head at him practically flying and tripping going down the stairs, she finally noticed that in his haste, he was wearing socks with slippers.

 

~~~

 

Blowing her hair out of her face, Ha Jin smooths down her dress for the umpteenth time. She was having doubts about her light pink, off the shoulder dress and simple beige heels. Was it presentable enough in front of such a rich family? The dress flared out as she turned in front of the mirror. Her hair was curled, cascading down her back, and her neck was adorned with a petite peony necklace that accentuated her collarbones and small neck. This would have to do.

Taking one last look at her reflection, she heads downstairs right as Baek Ah arrives.

"Woahhhh. You actually clean up pretty nice," was the first thing he says when she gets in the car, and starts backing out of her driveway. "My brother would totally fall for you." She laughs.

"I have a very specific type of guy I'm looking for."

"You've never met my brother though. A lot of girls fall for his looks. He's my best friend, and I love him more than Woo Hee, despite his cold exterior. You better not tell her that though, or I'll make you regret it."

She laughs loudly, forgetting her prior worries regarding the picnic.

"You sound like you're in love with your brother and not Woo Hee."

"He's a hyung I trust with my life...and I do not love Woo Hee…!"

"That blush says otherwise."

"...Not yet anyways," he mumbles. Ha Jin smiles to herself. She was glad Baek Ah could meet Woo Hee again, after all that had happened before.

Changing the subject, Baek Ah says, "Trust me. You might just be the next girl to fall for hyung."

 

~~~

 

Once they had arrived, she saw how grand it was and immediately felt intimated again. The lawn was cleanly cut, the tablecloths were made of white silk, and there was a horse riding area in the distance. Even the food was presented on silver platters, and a huge ice sculpture was in the middle of it all.

Baek Ah could probably sense her discomfort, as he clasped a hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry so much. Just enjoy your time here."

She nods silently, still staring at the scenery.

"I'll go bring Woo Hee over." And just like that, she was left by herself.

"Watch out!"

She ducks just in time as a football spirals over her head. Ha Jin was going to berate whoever it was that had no aim. As she turned around, she realized it was Wang Eun. Her scared expression gave way to a completely shocked one. There was another Goryeo figure here?! How many were left?

Just as she ponders that, the whole group of brothers comes over, just to get the football back. There was Yo, Wook, Won, and Jung, who immediately went back to their game.

"Are you okay?" Eun asks. She doesn't answer; too busy scanning the group for the one face she longed to see.

He wasn't there.

Her field of vision automatically filled with Eun's face. "I've never seen you before. Who are you?" He resembled a curious puppy, head tilted to one side and all.

Trying not to show her disappointment, Ha Jin replies with, "I'm a friend of Baek Ah's. My name is Go H—"

"Ha Jin-ah!" Baek Ah calls in the distance as he comes nearer, with Woo Hee in tow.

"Oh well...in that case, any friend of Baek Ah's is a friend of mine. Nice to meet you! You look like a noona. Can I call you noona? I'm Eun. Your reflexes are—he gives her a big thumbs up—the best!"

He looked deep in thought for a second.

"Ok, since I'm the best, maybe this—he puts up his pointer finger—suits you more." Smiling, he bounds off to rejoin his brothers and the unfinished game.

You haven't changed at all, 10th prince.

As soon as Eun left, Baek Ah and Woo Hee come up to her.

When she saw Woo Hee again, Ha Jin was so happy. She missed her friend dearly and her death had left a big scar that couldn't quite be mended.

"Woo Hee, I've heard a lot about you from Baek Ah. It's really nice to finally meet you." She offers her hand.

Woo Hee blushes and shakes her hand. "I've heard quite a lot about you as well, Ha Jin."

Woo Hee puts her hand up to shield from Baek Ah as she "whispers," "I know he lies whenever he talks bad about you."

Ha Jin looks at him smugly. "I like her already."

Repeating Woo Hee's gesture, she jokingly says, "I know right! He exaggerates so much."

Baek Ah rolls his eyes. "Great. Now I have two pint-sized women ganging up on me."

Ha Jin and Woo Hee look at each other and giggle.

It's nice getting to see you smile so bright, dear friend.

 

~~~

 

"AHHHH! BAEK AH, YOU LITTLE-WHY'D I AGREE TO THIS!"

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. She should've never gotten on this horse. Why'd she think she could possibly ride one? The first mistake was getting on in a dress and heels. The second was listening to Baek Ah saying, "It'll be fun!" That was also reason three through ten on why she was stuck in this predicament.

Currently, her heel was caught in the stirrup, disabling her from getting off the horse. Her dress was also riding up, and she didn't know how to keep it down while holding onto the reigns at the same time.

The horse was galloping really fast, and although the pasture was small, she was so inexperienced that it was hard to keep up.

I'm either going to break a bone or end up badly hurt.

Right as she's about to fall off the horse, she hears another horse galloping up next to hers. She couldn't see the rider since she was holding on for dear life, but the horse was sleek back, mane flying majestically as it's strong legs carried it forward.

Her back arches, and her arms flail out to try and lighten her fall.

A strong arm reaches out to wrap around her waist and she's suddenly hoisted from one horse to another. As her white horse gallops off into the distance, her savior slows them down to a steady speed.

One of his arms was still around her waist, and the other was holding tight onto the reigns. She turns around and she sees Wang So. Her eyes widen into the size of saucers. His were a stark contrast as he was solely focused on riding.

This had happened before.

They were sitting really close, and she could hear him breathing by her ear. The more they galloped, the closer she was jostled into his chest.

Suddenly, his deep voice filled her ears. "Don't you know not to get on a horse when you can't ride? Especially dressed like that."

He turns his head sideways to look at her.

"Baek Ah," is all she says.

He laughs and the rumbles send vibrations into her back. "Why am I not surprised?"

As they go over a hill, he tightens his hold on her. She doesn't protest.

"Thank you for saving me."

He doesn't reply and when she turns around, she meets his intense stare.

"Have I...met you before?" His eyes are boring into hers.

"What do you mean? We met at the museum." Ha Jin laughs it off awkwardly, knowing exactly what he meant but not at the same time.

She shouldn't push her luck; she might just make a fool out of herself.

"Ah...forget I said anything." He looks off into the distance; a faraway look in his eyes.

She slowly turns around again. It couldn't be.

The wind brushes past their face as they go along, and they were enveloped in a peaceful silence.

As they neared the stables, he slows the galloping down even more. Once they arrived, he tugs on the reigns and they came to a complete stop.

Dismounting easily, he turns around and looks up at her. Sticking his arms out, she realizes he wanted to help her down. Putting her hands on his shoulders, she did not expect him to carry her.

With one arm behind her knees to hold her dress, and the other around her shoulder, he puts her back down on the ground.

"I've helped you twice and saved your life once. Don't you think I deserve your number?" He smirks at her.

She laughs. He was still as persistent as ever.

"I need your name first."

Wang So.

"It's Wang So."

She smiles. "Ha Jin. Go Ha Jin."

Hae Soo. Lady Hae Soo.

 

~~~

 

After he walked her back to the picnic, she sat down on an intricately carved chair, watching people run about.

A little ways away, the guys' football game was still in full swing.

Ha Jin watches as So swiftly catches the ball and sprints down the field, until Yo tackles him to the ground. They were both laughing, ending up wrestling each other instead. She was glad they were on good terms in this life.

The entirety of the Wang brothers joined in on the wrestling, creating a big pile of people.

"You've fallen for hyung haven't you?" Baek Ah smirks down triumphantly, arms crossed and looking straight towards where she was looking.

You have no idea. I already fell for him a thousand years ago—a lifetime ago.

 

~~~

 

-3 months later-

 

Ha Jin was once again invited to a Wang family party. Since the last gathering, she had become really close with everybody—more specifically, Wang So.

They were at times like friends, but other times like lovers. The line between both had blurred along the way, but one thing was for sure; she loves him.

This time, both Baek Ah and Wang So had invited her, and she agreed to go.

By replying to So first, the boys ended up debating who she liked better. Of course, it was So, but neither of them needed to know that. So had won due to his stubbornness and way with words, earning him a kick in the from Baek Ah.

The weather had turned cold, and winter came earlier than she expected.

Her hair was braided to one side, and her beige peacoat reached her knees. Small beige boots adorned her feet, and her black leggings were tucked into them. As she left for the party, she felt happy and lighter than she had ever felt before.

 

~~~

 

Even when it was freezing cold outside, it didn't deter the Wangs from having a grand-scale celebration. This time around, it was held in an ice rink.

She stood on the sides watching the boys circle around and around the rink; occasionally one of them would fall in good nature of brotherly pranks.

Laughter filled the cold ice rink, making it warmer. She felt a hand on top of her head, and when she turned to see whom it was, she looked up right into Wang So's eyes. He smiled down at her.

She glares at him, but it was hard to do when he looked that attractive. His hair was styled back with gel, and he had on a spotless white peacoat, gray scarf, black pants, and shiny black leather shoes.

He casually drapes an arm over her shoulder and whispers, "Let's get Baek Ah and Woo Hee together."

She made an "ok" sign and turns to leave, but he stops her.

"First—he takes off his scarf and wraps it around her neck tightly—you need to keep warm." He winks at her, and her heart skips, but she'd never let him know. "Let's go!"

They both walk onto the rink in their respective shoes smoothly, and find Baek Ah and Woo Hee at the other end.

They looked at each other knowingly. "One, two, three," they both counted together quietly. On three, they rushed over and shoved Baek Ah into Woo Hee's back, making him give her an unexpected back hug.

They see a flustered Baek Ah, who was turning red to the tips of his ears.

"YA! DO YOU GUYS WANT TO DIE?!"

"RUN!" So grabs her hand and pulls her at the speed of light out of the rink. Baek Ah was following closely, right behind them.

"SO HYUNG AND HA JIN. YOU'RE DEAD IF I CATCH YOU!"

Her laughter mixes with Woo Hee's in the background.

She holds So's hand tighter as they run faster.

They continue to run, even as they exited the rink, leaving the party far behind.

Ha Jin looks up and sees snowflakes falling down from the sky, like small white crystals.

First snow.

She looks over at Wang So, still laughing with his breath coming out in small white puffs amidst the cold.

Having him right next to her was all she could ever hope for.

With the snowflakes on her eyelashes, she sees him as the Wang So from a lifetime ago. Blinking, the snow disappears and so does prince Wang So. Gone was King Gwangjong. In front of her, all she could see was modern Wang So.

No matter, she loves him all the same—all of him.

Ha Jin vows that in this life, she would never, ever, let go of his hand.

 


 

If we had met in another world and at a different time, I was thinking how great that would've been. I wouldn't fear anything. I could freely, truly freely, love you all I wanted.

 

If we are not from the same world, I will find you, my Soo.


 

If his hand is forever placed in hers, she knows that their love would be unstoppable—capable of transcending time.