Love is...

Love is...

 

8-year-old Korean-Japanese Rio sat down at the dining table and took out his homework to do for the day. He frowned for the umpteenth time that evening as he remembered the topic for his latest writing homework.

For an eight-year-old, he had always been praised for being a genius in writing. He never had troubles putting his ideas into words as long as he knew what he wanted to write about.

But this was where his problem lied at the moment. He had yet to figure out how he wanted to answer this question his teacher asked as the topic of the writing. He looked at the printout again where the question was glaring back at him.

 

What is love? Please describe “love” from your understanding.

 

What is love, huh? He could look up “love” in the dictionary and try to elaborate his ideas based on it. But then he knew he wouldn't be satisfied from just that. He didn't know where this came from, but he had a strong feeling that love meant much more to him than just a simple definition.

But what could “love” mean for a third grade kid like him. He was only eight for heaven's sake. Where would he ever experience this kind of amazing love that he felt the need to write about?

It was one thing to want to be outstanding. It was a totally different thing to have to make things up for it. It wasn't cool at all.

“Seriously, love? What’s songsaeng-nim thinking, asking third graders something as complicated as that?”

He sighed and decided that maybe he should look up the dictionary after all, when suddenly he noticed that his parents’ pointless debate was getting louder and louder. As if it was the most natural thing to do, Rio draped lazily on the table with his chin on his arms as he watched his parents argued on and on about who cooked better over at the kitchen counter. Yet another ridiculous thing to be fighting about.

Rio was never tired of watching his parents' daily banter. Crazily enough, it always brought smiles to his face. Sometimes he'd go over and take part in the conversations, acting as a neutral judge or taking sides, and sometimes he would rather be the silent audience of this ridiculous yet sweet soap opera.

Most kids would cringe at their parents' interactions. But not him. He loved seeing his parents together. Other kids had no idea how lucky they were to be in the presence of their parents, but he never took these little things for granted because after all...

Rio sprang up in his seat as he was struck with an idea. Now he knew exactly how he wanted his answer to be. He wouldn't write it in a paragraph or an essay. He would put it down points by points. The boy nodded to himself as he decided, and immediately started writing with a huge smile on his face.

……………………………..

“Honey, I'm home.”

Choi Siwon, a man of great personality and a gentle smile, was an outstanding businessman currently working for a multinational corporation in Japan. Most knew him to be a potential millionaire, but he was better known as a family man. He hardly ever missed dinner at home no matter how late he had to work at times, and always grabbed all the chances he could get to spend with his family.

“Welcome home. I'll heat up dinner.”

Sakuraba Hikari was not exactly the subject of every woman’s envy. She was born with few things to call her own, an average look and a questionable lineage. But despite what everyone said, she would call herself one of the luckiest women in the world. With a sweet, warm family and a distinguished career, there was nothing else she could ever ask for.

“Where's Rio?" Siwon asked as he sat down on the couch, sorting out letters he just picked up from the mail box.

“Asleep.” Hikari replied with a small smile. She knew how much her husband hated busy days such as this when he had to miss the daily catch-up session with their son. “What's that?” She asked, noticing a particular envelope Siwon was paying extra attention on.

“A copy of Rio's writing homework. Seems like his teacher wanted us to see it.”

“Hmm? I know she always loves Rio's writing, but this is the first time she especially sent it for us to read.”

“Wanna read it together?”

“Ok. After dinner.” Hikari was about to walk back to the kitchen, but before she could get anywhere, curiosity got the better of her. “Screw it, I can't wait till then.”

Siwon chuckled at his wife’s obvious excitement as he scooted to the side to let her sit down beside him, and they both started reading.

 

What is love?

Love is how Papa raised me up all by himself when Mama mysteriously disappeared 3 months after I was born.

Love is those beautiful stories about Mama that Papa would tell me every night instead of any other bed time stories.

Love is how Papa always believed Mama was still alive out there somewhere, and every night as he tucked me in to sleep, he would promise me that we'd find her some days.

Love is when Papa was filled with an incredible amount of happiness together with an excruciating pain as he finally found Mama four years later...Mama who didn't have the slightest idea of who we were.

Love is that pain I felt when my existence made no sense to Mama whatsoever when I met her for the first time at four years old.

Love is when Papa smiled and said to me reassuringly that we loved her too much, waited for too long to give up now, and that we could always start over, with or without her lost memories.

Love is when Mama went around searching for the truth behind the years she'd forgotten, hoping she never really left anyone hurting.

Love is when we found out that a tragic accident took Mama away those many years ago, and despite how much this revelation shook her world upside down, Mama bravely accepted things as they were.

Love is how Mama broke down crying, feeling sorry for the husband and son she had no recollection of, who had been living in misery, looking for her all this time.

Love is even though Papa missed Mama very much, he selflessly gave up his chances so she could spend more time with me.

Love is how Mama would tell Papa sorry that she was no longer the wife he once had, but Papa would respond that his wife had been loving, caring, and crazy just like she was now...nothing ever changed, and he loved her all the same.

Love is when Mama said it broke her heart when I tried so hard to act mature sometimes and that she'd be happier if I was a little more childish and selfish like any four-year-olds should be, so I never bothered forcing myself again.

Love is how I always demanded to be held fearing that Mama would disappear again, and despite being so frail and sickly, she would cradle me in her arms without complaint as she worked on her reports at home because she loved holding me close to her heart, watching me sleep.

Love is how Mama would move all her work to my bed so I could fall asleep while holding onto her left hand, leaving her with only one hand to work on her computer.

Love is although Mama didn't know how to start explaining to her colleagues how she suddenly had a four-year-old son, she was never afraid to shower me with love in public.

Love is how I missed Papa so much but never wanted to leave Mama's side, so she agreed to move into Papa's house for my sake.

Love is when Mama nodded off in the middle of her report writing with me asleep in her arms, and Papa would carry the both of us to bed and kiss us goodnight.

Love is how Mama was fascinated by how well she got along with Papa what with the daily crazy bickering and all, and Papa would smirk as if to say I told you so, we were meant to be.

Love is how it always pained me to see Papa felt hurt and dejected because Mama was very stubborn when it came to love, but Papa would assure me that that was how she always had been and it was one of the reasons why he loved her so much in the first place. Because love wasn't a playground, she wouldn't fall in love so easily.

Love is how Papa confidently declared to Mama that she could try to go and forget him however many times she liked, but he would make her fall in love with him all over again every single time.

Love is...true to Papa's words, Mama did, slowly but surely, fall in love with him once more. And our family was finally whole again.

Love is how much their love was so blatantly visible that even a four-year-old kid like me was able to understand and remember all these things so clearly until now.

And last, love is how I pray every night that regardless of what Papa arrogantly declared that time, once is enough. Having Mama disappearing and forgetting us once is enough of a trial. So I pray earnestly that this one-in-a-million close-knitted family never have to be separated ever again.

 

By the time they were done reading, Hikari was already in tears, touched to the core of her heart.

“I'm still sorry he's got this kind of fear.” That we might be separated again, but Hikari knew she didn’t have to say the last part out loud. Siwon understood.

“Don't be, honey.” Siwon gathered the love of his life in his arms and kissed the top of her head, trying to comfort her. “Like Rio said, it's a trial for all of us. Because of it, we've learnt to carefully love and treasure each other.”

“Right. He may be a little more mature than most kids his age, and it's all good that he’s grown up to be such a grateful kid who never takes anything for granted. But I'm just so sad my beloved son is growing up so fast. I'm not ready for a daughter-in-law yet."

Hikari started to pout as she laid her head on her husband’s shoulder. Siwon chuckled.

“Not to point out the obvious, honey, but he's only eight. Plus, soon he'll have his hands full with his baby sister.” He then put one hand gently on the baby bum as he Hikari’s hair with the other lovingly. “Where'd he get the time for a girl friend?”

His wife was already 39 weeks along, and they all couldn’t wait to welcome the new baby girl into the family.

“Uh-oh.” Hikari suddenly exclaimed, and Siwon sat up straight, cautious. He had a bad feeling about this sudden uh-oh.

“Huh? What’s up?”

“Maybe I’m just being emotional but –”

“But?”

“Honey, quick. Hospital!”

……………………………………

Siwon sat in front of the operation room, anxiously waiting for news about his wife and baby. Rio was beside him.

“Papa loves Mama so much, you know.” Siwon uttered quietly, head in his hands. He was about to break down any minute now, fearing the uncertainty. After that accident, Hikari was not healthy enough to deliver the baby on her own, so they scheduled for a c-section a week from now. So this right now was totally uncalled for. She was already so weak before they finally sent her into the operation room. Siwon was now fearing for the worst that could happen. He would be devastated again if anything happened to his wife or their baby girl.

“I know. I wasn't there the first time, but I sure was on the front row seat watching the entire unfolding of your tragic love story when it happened the second time, after all.” Rio replied just as quietly, with a straight face. He then put a hand on his father’s shoulder and patted it gently. “Papa did a very good job fighting for that love. Mama too is in there fighting her side of the battle. You can't stop being strong now.”

Siwon nodded in agreement. He wasn't sure whether he should be sad or proud to have his eight-year-old son console him in such an adult-like manner. His wife was right. Their son really was growing up too fast. The only childish side Rio was still reluctant to cast aside was the way he called them Papa and Mama. Soon that would be gone, too, and Siwon was depressed just thinking about it.

“Where’d you learn to talk like that?” Managed to pull a small smile on his face, Siwon teased his son.

“What’s wrong with talking like that?” Rio raised an eyebrow, feigning ignorant.

“You’re eight.”

“So what? I’m a big brother now.” The boy smirked as he replied, and just as he was finished speaking, a nurse came out of the operation room and called out to them with a big grin that was enough to cast any of their worries out the window.

Looking at the disappearing back of his father who hurriedly followed the nurse with excitement, Rio could no longer hold back the big happy smile that had been threatening to adorn his handsome face since a while ago. He thought to himself that one day, he’d be telling his little sister about their parents’ beautiful love story, about how they were each other's first love and second love, and most definitely the last. And how any single person who knew them were all inspired to look for someone who they could fall in love with as many time as they needed to, just like Siwon and Hikari did.

………………………………

The End

Ashley Naruto

2017.06.29