final

Afternoon Sun

 

Nayoung has always been interested in music.

 

She always has.  Ever since she was a kid, she’d beg her mom to check out the open mic sessions at the local cafes, and at age 10, practically cried to get her mom to buy her a keyboard.

 

“I can’t live without it mom!” a ten year old Nayoung pleas. “Oh, don’t be so overdramatic Nayoung.” her mom replies, but buys her the piano anyway.

 

Nayoung’s love for music grew from there.

 

Music has always been some sort of scapegoat to Nayoung.  She’s always relied on it to release her bottled up emotions.  

 

(Although, Nayoung’s never been the type to express her emotions that well in general).

 

It wasn’t until she met music major, Zhou Jieqiong (“Or Pinky, either one works” she tells a flustered Nayoung), that Nayoung began to make music that talks about love.

 

x

 

Music has always been the only way Nayoung’s expressed her emotions.

 

So when Nayoung finally (tries to) ask Jieqiong out, she’s a stuttering mess.

 

“Hey Jieqiong!” Nayoung shouts.  She winces internally for practically screaming at Jieqiong.

 

“Hey Nayoungie! What’s up?” Jieqiong replies.  A pink tint suddenly arises on Nayoung’s cheeks from the nickname Jieqiong gave her months ago, but she chooses to ignore it and prays to God that Jieqiong doesn’t see it.

 

“So uh, I was just thinking- wondering, if you would like to come with- accompany me to this orchestra I got some tickets for?”  Nayoung internally berates herself for stuttering and being so god damn awkward.

 

A beat passes between them.  Nayoung starts to regret existing, but before she could run away and move to Brazil, Jieqiong finally giggles, and much to Nayoung’s surprise, accepts the offer.

 

“I’d love to come with you!  Just text me the details!” she excitedly beams.

 

Nayoung thinks Jieqiong has never looked more beautiful.

 

x

 

Nayoung was wrong.

 

Jieqiong did get more beautiful, and she can’t believe it.

 

The tickets she got was for a high-end orchestra that she (**bribed) got from a close friend of hers, another music major, Jung Eunwoo.

 

Due to the high-end setting, formal clothes were a must, and wow that dress hugs Jieqiong’s curves Nayoung thinks.  

 

“Hey Nayoungie! You ready to go?”

 

“Oh yeah totally du- Jieqiong!”

 

Maybe it was the anxiousness clouding her mind, or the wine she had 20 mins earlier, but Nayoung could’ve sworn she saw a pink tint on Jieqiong’s cheeks.

 

The thought makes Nayoung question whether or not she was sober, but before she could react, Jieqiong links their arms and starts walking.

 

The only thought going through Nayoung’s head that whole night was whether or not she was drunk and how absolutely ethereal Jieqiong looks.

 

x

 

Days pass, and Nayoung still can’t the image of Jieqiong in a tight fitting dress out of her mind.

 

Days pass, and she hasn’t talked to Jieqiong since.

 

Aside from quick greetings exchanged in the halls, that was the most interactions she’s had with Jieqiong since.

 

Nayoung’s been growing quite antsy.

 

x

 

Lunches for Nayoung usually consist of fiddling with the grand piano in the music room, and  eating whatever she can get from the local cafe without being stampeded by the copious amounts of students in a single room in the said music room.

The music room is basically Nayoung’s territory, and no one dares to steal it from her.

 

(Eunwoo’s tried, but all that she got from that was a glare from Nayoung and a stern talking to.)

 

Even though she spends her lunches alone, she enjoys the serene and calm environment.

 

That environment completely changed however, once Jieqiong stepped into the room.

 

“RED ALERT RED ALERT ERROR 404 - CANNOT BE FOUND, HOW DID SHE FIND ME HERE” is the only thing repeating in Nayoung’s head.

 

“Hey, do you mind if I join you?” Jieqiong asks.

 

“Oh yeah! Of cours- I’d be delighted!”

 

Jieqiong slowly makes her way over to Nayoung and sits on the piano bench with her.

 

Nayoung swears Jieqiong can hear her heartbeat, but prays to every deity that she doesn’t.

 

A beat of silence passes between them before Nayoung speaks.

 

“H-how did you find me?”

 

“Ah… I asked Eunwoo where you usually eat, and she said you always eat in here.” she replied while looking around the room.  “Although, she did tell me you prefer to eat alone… am I bothering you in any way?”

 

“N-no! Of course not! I don’t mind!” Nayoung manages to stutter out.

 

Another beat of silence.

 

“I’ve heard your music y’know… you sound amazing.” Jieqiong comments.

 

The comment makes Nayoung’s face and neck turn completely red in no time, and Jieqiong giggles.

 

“‘Uh, th-thanks.”

 

Jieqiong places her fingers delicately on the keys, but doesn’t play anything.

 

“I’ve always loved the piano. I used to play a lot, but my parents forced me to play the bipa.”

 

A thought crosses Nayoung’s mind.

“Can I listen to you play it some time?”

 

Nayoung doesn’t know where this sudden burst of confidence comes from, but she doesn’t stop.

 

“Maybe over some coffee too?”

 

Jieqiong stares at her for a second and suddenly, a huge grin appears.

 

Nayoung never wants that grin to disappear.

 

“Sure, when are you available?” Excitement is practically oozing out of Jieqiong, and Nayoung notices.

 

“I-I’m available whenever! I have no life so…”

 

Jieqiong giggles, and Nayoung thinks it’s the most beautiful thing she’s ever heard.

 

Jieqiong stares back at the piano, and thinks.  She suddenly starts playing a song.

 

The opening notes to Adele’s ‘All I Ask’ hits Nayoung’s ears, and she suddenly becomes starstruck.

 

She starts singing, and that’s when Nayoung falls even harder than she already was.

 

With the afternoon sun hitting Jieqiong in the right ways, accompanied with her angelic singing, Nayoung thinks she cannot get anymore beautiful than this.