002

Trying
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Dance lessons? You're kidding me, right?"

Jennie stared at her mother incredulously at the dinner table.

"Well, I was talking to one of the ladies at work and she was talking about her daughter taking dance lessons," said Jennie's mother. "I think it would be a good opportunity for you to make some friends and shape you into an elegant and sophisticated young lady."

Jennie rolled her eyes, "An elegant and sophisticated young lady? Really?"

"I signed you up for the beginner class that begins next week. Rehearsals are from four to six in the afternoon on Wednesdays and you're going whether you like it or not."

"Is this because of what happened at the last school I was at? Mom, I told you I didn't fight her," said Jennie, crossing her arms across her chest as she leaned back in her chair. She watched her mother sigh.

"I know it was only your first day at this new school today, but I really think that you should make an effort to stay at this one."

"Mom, you're not listening to me," Jennie was getting frustrated, "I've already made friends and they're nice!"

"You have? Oh, well that's wonderful!" Jennie's mother was obviously excited, "But you're still going to dance lessons. I really think it'll be a good opportunity for you to find a hobby instead of sitting around at home all day after school."

"If you wanted me to get out of the house more, that's all you needed to say," muttered Jennie as she leaned forward over her food. She picked up her chopsticks and shoved some of her food around on her plate.

"Who knows what you could get yourself involved in out in the streets, hm? No, dance lessons will be good for you. It's safer, too."

Jennie rolled her eyes again. Her mother was always protective of her, understandably so, but it was annoying at times.

After dinner concluded, Jennie just felt like she needed some air. She was undoubtedly unhappy about her mother just randomly signing her up for something she didn't ask for but she did appreciate her mother's efforts to get her daughter to be more social.

She told her mother she was going to take a walk and stepped out of the house, but honestly had nowhere to go. The sun was setting and the night life was beginning to wake slowly. Jennie looked down the street and saw some people exercising, walking their pets, driving their cars, all living their own busy lives. So, instead of wandering aimlessly around, she sat on her porch steps and watched people live their lives.

People watching is a hobby I could do outside of the house, thought Jennie with a sarcastic smile to herself.

"Hey, neighbor!"

Jennie's thoughts were abruptly interrupted by a voice she really had no intentions of hearing more than she believed she needed to.

"Oh, hi," said Jennie, looking over to see Taeyong standing on his own porch steps, holding a bottle of water. He looked like he had just come from an afternoon jog, dressed in a grey tank top and some black basketball shorts, his hair matted to his forehead presumably from sweat. He took a sip of his water before speaking again.

"It's nice weather for this time of year, huh?"

"Yep."

There was a short pause.

"What are you doing out here? Just hanging out?"

"Yep."

Another pause.

"You're not big on conversation, are you?"

"Nope."

Taeyong let out a laugh as Jennie raised a brow at him. She didn't think she said anything funny, so why was he laughing?

"You look upset. Something on your mind?"

Jennie sighed. He didn't look like he was going to go anywhere anytime soon.

"You could say that."

"Wanna talk about it?"

"Not really."

Taeyong shrugged.

"Sometimes it helps to talk about things."

"It's not anything important," said Jennie. She didn't exactly want to talk to Taeyong, but she appreciated his effort. She may not have always shown it, but she knew when to be appreciative of someone's efforts when they did something for her.

"Well, if

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter