1/1

A Nice Surprise

            It’s been a few months ever since Produce 101 has ended and people went back to continue their lives. The aspect of having to ‘survive’ now thankfully leaving from everyone’s minds and finally replaced with the feeling of relief. The eliminated trainees continue to better themselves to push towards their dreams of debuting. The trainees who made it into the group now known as “Wanna One” are debuting and working hard as ever to show the world that they are capable of being an amazing boyband.

          Back in the Nu’est dorm, all the remaining members rest heavily in their individual rooms. The feelings of relief and happiness can be felt floating around the dorm. Their company has given them the opportunity for a comeback and all of them have never felt more elated at the news. The chance to prove themselves as worthy once again has come towards them and this time they are working harder than ever to achieve their goals. All of them just got back from practice of working themselves to death for their comeback. Practicing was different as to what it was before though. Their mindsets are completely different now. All throughout practice they gave it their all, with thoughts of a new beginning rushing through all of their minds. With even more motivation than before, hours of practicing went by smoothly.

But that wasn’t the only thing that was different than before, it’s not hard to feel the hole that is there now whenever they go and practice together. It’s midnight and the boys just finished practicing and are now lying on their practice room floor. Sweat beads trickling down their faces and sighs leaving their lips.

 

“You know...it still feels weird that we are coming back without…” Baekho trails off realizing what he just said.

Jonghyun just laughs trying to relay to him that what he said was fine. There’s no need to feel bad about it. It’s what their reality is for now. They are coming back without their Minhyun and they just have to accept it.

 

“It’s alright Baekho, you’re not wrong so don’t feel bad about bringing him up. He is happy about us having a comeback. We should be too, alright?”

Baekho just sighed but nevertheless nodded in agreement at his leader’s genuine words. If only they knew their leader was feeling a bit empty himself at the absence of their fellow bandmate.

Ren, Aron, and Baekho all decided to go back to their dorm to rest before they come back to practice more later. All except for their stubborn leader Jonghyun.

“Yah, Jonghyun-ah. Come and rest before you make yourself sick.” Aron yelled.

Baekho and Ren just stared at Jonghyun in concern knowing that no matter what they say would convince Jonghyun to leave otherwise.

Jonghyun stopped abruptly, his chest moving up and down, new beads of sweat forming on his forehead.

“I'm going to practice a little bit more, you guys can go on ahead.”

“But-”

“I’m okay..I just want to make sure it's perfect okay?” Jonghyun said breathlessly.

They all looked at him sighing in unison.

“Alright...but if you need anything, let any of us know.”

 

Jonghyun smiled at them and nodded. Feeling ever so blessed with members that truly cared for him.

He watched them walk out and sighed once they left. He felt slightly bad knowing he's making s worry but he can't help it. This comeback has to be absolutely perfect. People actually want them to comeback and are finally acknowledging their talents after a long five years. He can't disappoint those who are waiting for them.

 

Another hour passed and Jonghyun was still diligently practicing the dance over and over. He finally stopped when he felt his legs wobble, realizing he might have pushed himself a little too hard. He reluctantly sat on the floor, earphones in his ears, and his head in his hands. His mind wandered back to Minhyun.

 

Is he doing okay?

 

Is he getting enough rest?

 

Does he miss me as much as I-

 

Jonghyun wasn’t able to finish that last thought.

 

He felt arms wrap around his waist and pull his body towards their chest. He opened his eyes in alarm and looked behind him. He met eyes with the person behind him and he felt his heart nearly explode. He immediately yanked his earphones out in shock.

 

“Minhyun-ah! What are you doing here?” Jonghyun asked through exhaustion and genuine surprise.

 

Minhyun smiled that heart fluttering smile at him and laughed. Jonghyun swore he hasn’t missed something as much as he missed Minhyun’s beautiful laugh.

“I actually went back to the dorm first to visit you guys since I don't have any schedules today. But the members told me you were still practicing and I had to rush over here to check on you.”

Minhyun said softly as he rested his chin in the crook of Jonghyun’s neck. Only to send shivers down Jonghyun’s spine as he felt Minhyun’s breath brush across his neck.

“Ah, you’re still so motherly as ever. You don’t have to check on me, I’m fine.” Jonghyun uttered quietly.

“Hmm I have heard you say that too many times to know that you aren’t telling the truth. What’s wrong my Jonghyunnie?”

Jonghyun visibly blushed at the nickname and ducked his head down.

“Ah...It’s just.. I’m worried.”

“When do you not worry, Jonghyun?” Minhyun giggled.

Jonghyun smiled at that. He had a point.

“I know. It’s just..I’m worried about not doing well this comeback. All that time spent in Produce 101, gaining popularity, and all of it get thrown away because we still won’t be acknowledged. I want us to do well and finally prove to everyone that, yes, Nu’est is worth it. We might have had a rough start but we will succeed in the end. I want to be able to say those words finally.”

He felt Minhyun clasp their hands together tightly.

“Ah, our dear leader still as hardworking and amazing as always. You truly are the pillar in Nu’est, I hope you know that. Whatever happens I know that we will all be fine, okay?”

 

Jonghyun smiled at his sincere words, feeling his worries slowly going away.

 

“How are you always so optimistic, Minhyun-ah?”

 

“Because we have an amazing leader that never gives me the reason to have doubts. You’re kind, hardworking, beauti-.”

 

“Y-yah I get the point. S-stop being so cheesy…” Jonghyun murmured trying to hide his face.

 

Well Minhyun was not having any of that and soon turned Jonghyun around in his arms to face him. Jonghyun was still covering his face with his hands not moving an inch.

 

“Jonghyunnie, please let me see your cute face. I’ve missed it…”

 

That statement only caused Jonghyun to blush even more and so he still kept his hands covering his face securely.

Minhyun sighed. “Hey if you let me see your face I’ll give you something.” That seemed to do the trick as Jonghyun slowly withdrew his hands from his face.

 

“W-What is-.”

 

Jonghyun wasn’t able to finish his sentence as he felt a soft pair of lips crash onto his almost immediately. He was surprised at first but soon he felt his own eyes flutter close and return the kiss. It wasn’t a lustful kiss, but more of one full of reassurance and need. A simple kiss that uttered enough love and happiness to assure both just how much they missed each other. For a little while they stayed like that. Their lips molding together slowly, not wanting to forget this feeling for as long as both of them could. They both pulled away, panting for air, shyly realizing they might have forgot the need for oxygen.

 

Jonghyun looked up at Minhyun and smiled the most genuinely happy smile Minhyun had seen from the other in a long time. He couldn’t help but return another genuine smile in return.

Minhyun poked him on the cheek and giggled. “Feel better now?” He said and wiggled his eyebrows. Jonghyun pushed him playfully on the chest. “Yah you’re going to regret teasing me so much.” Minhyun giggled once more.

“Oh yeah? What are y-.” Minhyun could not even finish his sentence as he felt Jonghyun push him to the floor and straddle himself on top of him.

Minhyun blushed at their position and looked wide eyed at Jonghyun’s bold actions. Jonghyun only smirked at his expression and pinned Minhyun’s arms on both sides of his head.

“I told you, you’re going to regret teasing me.” He whispered as he leaned in towards Minhyun’s blushing face. Minhyun’s blush only deepened when he felt Jonghyun’s hands let go of his wrists and caress his face as if he was the most precious thing in the world. They stared deep into each other’s eyes like that for a while. Silently enjoying each other's whole beings as if they were the only ones in the world.

 

“I love you.” Minhyun whispered in that moment.

 

Jonghyun has heard Minhyun utter those words to him multiple times before but they never fail to make his heart do flips each time.  

 

“And I love you too.” Jonghyun uttered as he leaned in once more to claim his lips.

 

Sadly this moment did not seem to last long to the unsuspecting couple. The door to the practice room flew open and barged in a restless looking Aron.

 

“Yo! Minhyun! Jonghyun! Are you g- WHOA sorry for intruding, haha carry on.”

 

Jonghyun and Minhyun pulled apart instantly and looked up only to find a flustered looking Aron fleeing from the practice room. They looked over at each other, both of their cheeks flushed red, and laughed boisterously. Jonghyun got up first and went over and put out a hand to help Minhyun up. Minhyun smiled up at him. “Why thank you my dear leader.” Jonghyun could only playfully roll his eyes and pulled him up easily.    

 

“Now, let's go calm Aron down before he has a .”

 

“Haha agreed.”

 

And with that Minhyun intertwined their hands together and lead Jonghyun out of the practice room. A smile fully spread throughout Jonghyun’s face as all earlier concerns soon dissipated from his thoughts.

 

Finally feeling as if things will work out for the best no matter what the circumstances may be. The road to the flowery path isn’t an easy one, but that does not mean you should give up. Keep fighting hard and you will see great results in the end. Jonghyun must have looked deep in thought as they were walking back to their dorm. Minhyun gently squeezed his hand and asked,

 

“Are you alright?”

 

Through all the restless thoughts, events, and things that have happened and that were disastrously spinning through Jonghyun’s mind lately, he soon felt them all disappear into thin air, dissipating out of his mind finally. As soon as he felt Minhyun squeeze their hands together once more, it was like he felt all his worries soon wash away from his thoughts. Realizing that as long as they all had each other, he knew things were going to work out.

 

Jonghyun looked at him, in a breath, and was finally able to confidently say,

 

    “Yes, I am okay.”