It's Definitely You

It's Definitely You

Eunwoo gnawed at the edge of his pen, sparing glances at the pink haired girl every now and then. Bae Joohyun, Irene to her friends. He prided himself in being included in that group of people, in a way. Seven years, he’d known Irene. Though he’d only been in love with her for two.

 

It started when they’d just entered the ninth grade. Due to being considered the top of the class they were both were recruited into debate club. An elective that both soon lost interest in in. It was week one and they’d been chosen to debate first.

 

Eunwoo could still remember that day it was raining, making their match much more intense. After an hour they’d had to end the debate, declaring it as a tie. Eunwoo had never been so intellectually struck. Even after the match was over, after the room was empty he’d stayed revelling in the moments of the debate. He’d seen Irene in a whole new light, a light that he’d never see anytime soon.

 

He’s never tried to pursue her though. Even when his feelings became obvious to others, including Irene’s friends. It wasn’t because he was afraid. No, not in the slightest. He had shamelessly flirted with her on many occasions in fact.

 

It was the fact that Irene was not approachable, in a romantic manner. He’d known from second hand experience. When they were in the eighth grade, just before they graduated. A rather bashful kid had tried to ask her out. Everyone could feel the sting of rejection as she said no without even batting an eye.

 

Eunwoo pitied the kid soon realizing that could potentially be him. So he stayed back, choosing to harmlessly flirt instead.  

 

Too bad it was this harmless flirting that got him in this situation. A situation that seemed like a dream to him. A dream considering that he now believed Irene may have feelings for him too.

 

See Irene always has this journal with her. Something Eunwoo noticed over his years of sitting at the back burner. She’d always wrote in it everyday. About what? Well that’s what Eunwoo didn’t know. At least before yesterday that is

 

-------

 

The sound of a camera clicking made Irene turn, though she’d already knew who it was. A cheeky smiling Eunwoo holding his camera.

 

“Irene, one of the top students of Jeguk School defeated by a library book.” He’d said teasingly.

 

Irene bit her lip to hide the small smile. “I’m pretty sure just because you’re captain of the news committee, doesn’t mean you can print things like that.”

 

Eunwoo scoffed dramatically. “Why not? I’m dure it’d be a headliner anyway.” Before Irene could retort anything Eunwoo grabbed the book from her hand. He hadn’t noticed the way her breath hitched as he got closer, but only to step away after putting the book back onto the high shelf.

 

“Are you trying to insult me?” Irene asked jokingly as she sat the nearest table. Her pen twirled in her fingers as she prepared to write. He sat beside her, scrolling through the many pictures he’d taken today alone.

 

“Don’t think of it as an insult, maybe just a disadvantage.” He’d chuckled expecting there to be a comeback. When there wasn’t he turned to see a sleeping Irene. He shook his head at the lethargic girl.

 

His eyes scanned over her stopping at the open journal. He wanted to look away but the words captured his attention. The depictions were of a boy who’d seemed to have captured her attention, for a long time now.

 

He’d guiltily thumbed backwards through another page, his eyes froze on the scribbled out name. He felt his heart began to flutter with a hopeful feeling. He quickly set the book down as Irene began to stir in her set. He grabbed his bag quickly disappearing as if he hadn’t been there at all.  

 

He honestly thought he got away with it until he somehow got cornered by Irene. She threatened him to keep whatever he read to himself. Why not tell him to forget it? Did she want him to know it could possibly be him?

 

Those were the hopeful questions that ran through his head. Questions he’d knew he’d have to be answered if he wanted them to go away.

 

------

 

He’d been on shift at the bakery he works when he saw Irene. It wasn’t the first time she’d walked by the place. But it is the first time he was compelled to go after her.

 

He’d yelled to the manager that he’d had to go early, quickly hanging his apron on the rack before running out the door.  

 

Irene paid no attention to the store’s bell ringing. Though she did when she felt a presence beside her. Any sort of fear was washed away when she caught the scent of fresh dough. She unplugged her headphones, stopping in her tracks, making Eunwoo do the same.

 

“What?” Her tone wasn’t cold or harsh just genuine curios.

 

“Who is it? The person in your journal?” She teasingly turned away telling him to. “Figure it out.”

 

He bit his lip nervously. “Is it me?”

 

She turned cheeks red, which Eunwoo hoped wasn’t from the fact that it was cold. “What if it is?”

 

“Well it’d finally give me a reason to do something I’ve wanted to do for a long time.”

 

Irene was now teetering with anticipation. “Do it.”

 

Eunwoo chuckled. “I can’t you have to tell me first.”

 

“And if I told you it was what would you do?”

 

“This.” Before Irene could ask what she felt her lips being captured by Eunwoo’s. Without hesitation she kissed back fiercely like she’d been waiting for it.

 

“So is it me?” He asked jokingly hoping she’d still answer

 

Irene nodded eagerly. “It’s definitely you.”