Final 3

Spider Farmers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Final

 

Mid-June and July in Seoul were the months of heated waves, shockingly humid afternoons and soulful melodies of cicadas. The heat would bounce off the streets, and cause an illusion of wavering images. They were one of those days when a freezing bath wasn't such a bad idea, but Kang Soora didn't have a choice.

Sweat surfaced on her forehead, her cheeks, the bridge of her nose and ran in rivulets down her face until she became sodden. The massive sweat pits on her old t-shirt clinging on her skin couldn't be concealed either. She strutted on the sidewalk, a water bottle in her hand threatening to fall here and there and the only thing keeping her from not drowning in desperation is the slightly visible sign behind the building.

The Four Knights Spider Farmhouse is one of a kind ; It just happens to be isolated from the city yet within it at the same time. It is small, just enough for the teenage girl to work in along with a couple of peers. Soora gathered her energy and hurried to the entry.

Though she painted it faithfully last summer, still the water had seeped in to soften the wood and rust the hinges. She pushed open the door, hearing the creak of the wood.

"Soora !" Exclaimed Hyo Jin, running her fingers through her short blonde locks. She barely looked her age of twenty nine years, people often mistook them as classmates when she would pick Soora up from her school. An unlikely friendship blossomed between the two four years ago when Soora started working here. The latter is a reserved sarcastic type while the much older female is much more energetic.

"Hi." Soora answered quietly, taking off her bag and putting it on top of the counter. She pulled an elastic band and put her long brown hair in a bun. Underneath, there was a shaved colored masterpiece made by the one and only Kim Seokjin, a well known hair dresser in the area who is also working in Four Knights.

"Hi, Soora. Go take gulps of water and come help me." His voice echoed. Four Knights specializes in raising spiders and harvesting their nearly priceless silk for textiles or sell to unscrupulous wine merchants who want to give the impression that their wine is old and mature. However, this farmhouse only holds a small number of spiders and isn't very popular like the other spider farms her uncle owns, which is why Soora is allowed to help in the business and get paid for it. "Allowed" may be the word she often uses, but the teenage girl was forced to do the work because uncle Sooman insisted.

"Okay." Soora yelled back before sprinting to Hyo Jin and flicking her on the forehead, a special way for her to say hello."You look cute today." 

 The room was spacious enough to hold a total of four couches, a television and a counter where Hyo Jin works and welcomes customers. The small door located next to the counter leads to the actual farm if it can be called one, Soora thought of it more of a laboratory in the city.

"Here you are ! How about you go and put the newly bought spiders in cage C number 43 on your left-" He instructed with a smile on his sweaty face, then turned back showing his broad shoulders, "Don't let any of them go like the last time."

"They're not venomous, are they ?" Soora walked carefully in the empty hall. On her sides were a bunch of cages and in front of her there was Seokjin organizing spider silk in various boxes. 

"No they're not. Do you think I'll let you handle venomous spiders by yourself ?" He asked, an offended tone peeking through.

"Seokjin, I never know when you're being serious." Soora stated, unsticking her jean shorts from her thighs before putting on her gloves and gently placing the new box of spiders in a big container, "Who are you sending this to ? It seems quite important."

She picked up the box's lid slowly, and leaned it slightly to the left so the spiders would come out. The creatures were trying to escape but to no avail, she closed the cap of the container. She moved the container next to cage C number 43 then proceeded to link between the container and the cage using a transparent tube. As soon as the spiders went into the tube and entered, Soora closed the cage.

"A medical university, for research purposes." Seokjin responded fixing his glasses, "MY medical university."

"Gosh, you're so lucky you're already into university. I have yet to choose, it's pressuring." Soora admitted, taking a seat beside him.

"Don't worry, sweetie. You may be not as pretty as me," He started earning a disappointed look from Soora, "but, you are intelligent. It takes a lot of courage and hard work to rank first in the whole country, don't you think ? I even brag about you to my friends at uni."

"Oh, shut up. I ranked first but I still don't know what to do with my future, and everyone's making it worse ! Soora, what college are you going to get into ? Soora, did you apply for college yet ? It's annoying." She crossed her arms, letting out a slight huff.

"Wait, people talk to you ?" Seokjin gave her an incredulous look, "And ask you questions ? You finally came out of your bubble ?" His last phrase earned him a smack on the shoulder.

"I try to be nice, sometimes. I don't know how to start a conversation with somebody." Soora stated, raising her small eyebrows.

"Here, how about I give you some jokes to start up the conversation." He said but Soora was already on her way to the door, "Oh, come on ! This one will make you laugh I promise."

Seokjin's dad jokes were the most hated thing by Soora, ever since she stepped foot in Four Knights he made ridiculous jokes about spiders and their webcams.

"No webcams ? No websites ? or webs in general ?" She asked as each one of them earned a nod from the young man.

"Why are spiders good at tennis ?" He started, "Cause they have great topspin ! Get it ? topspin, spin...hey, hey, where are you going I have many more !"

Soora closed the door behind her and walked over ot Hyo Jin, smiling.

"He pulled the dad jokes card, didn't he ?" She laughed at the teenage girl's irritated face, "He did, right ? He did ! Oh my gosh, is he serious ? Is it the coffee one ? He said it to me too"

"Gosh, he's such a loser for a mature man." Soora shook her head, not bothering to deny that it was not the coffee joke.

"He sure is." Hyo Jin agreed, letting out another laugh, "A new kid is coming here, today."

"Oh !" Soora's eyes immediately lightened up at the thought of having a friend, "They're working here ?"

"He's the son of your uncle's friend, and you know Sooman, insisting he comes here as well." Hyo Jin took off her cardigan revealing her tattooed arms, "He's late though."

Soora hummed in response, before gasping and looking into Hyo Jin's direction.

"What ?" The young woman asked, confused.

"Did you say Seokjin told you a joke about coffee ?" Before Hyo Jin could answer, she continued, "I know Seokjin doesn't say jokes unless they're relative to the moment so it means he was drinking coffee when he told you the joke, and you were there with him. We both know Seokjin likes to drink his coffee in the coffee shop. In conclusion, you two were together at the coffee shop."Hyo Jin's jaw was dropped at this point, "You were on a morning date ! Oh my gosh you and Seokjin are dating !"

"No, we're not." The young woman hushed her, "It's not official, so please don't say anything. I don't want to ruin our friendship."

"The dude's been flirting with you for years ! Believe it or not, I saw it with my own two eyes." Soora affirmed, a smirk decorating her lips, "And you told me once you liked him, remember ? When you were drunk and then you cried about how he would never like you back because you are way out of his league."

"I did ?" Hyo Jin bit her pierced bottom lip nervously.

Soora was about to reply when the door suddenly opened to reveal a teenage boy. He was tall and had a lean muscular figure, his dark hair was slightly parted in the middle. Hyo Jin hurried to welcome him with her famous smile.

"Soora, I present to you Jungkook. Jungkook, this is Soora and you'll be working together this summer." She smiled at us both, but soon her smile turned into a frown looking at the loathsome looks the two teenagers exchanged.

"Nice to meet you, Salutatorian." Soora sneered as she held her hand for the boy to shake.

"Nice way to greet others, cheater." Jungkook spat, shaking her hand.

The difference wasn't so big when it came to their hands, his was big while hers was long and slightly smaller than him. The difference wasn't so big when it came to their grades either, but Soora wouldn't let Jungkook live without mentioning it.

"Nice way to s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter