Demons Of The Past

MY SECRET MOBSTER BOYFRIEND
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Introducing

Yoo Seungyeon

Ok Taecyeon

Lim Yoona

 

Demons Of The Past

 

 

Shinhye rushed out of the examination room and headed straight to the cafeteria. Her shift had finally come to an end. She hadn’t even had the time to check her phone all morning because she had been hella busy. Otherwise the nearly twenty missed calls and 56 messages on her group chat with the girls and Hongki would have probably stood out to her.

 

Luckily the great run on the buffet was already over when she got to the cafeteria, allowing her to carry the tray with her lunch over to a table at the end of the spacious hall just a few minutes later. Seungyeon was already waiting for her with a number of other interns.

 

“Thanks for saving me a seat!” Shinhye said as she sat down and Seungyeon nodded with a smile.

 

“Sure thing. How did it go with the patient?” She asked and quietly pushed the bowl with chicken feet towards her. Shinhye did the same with her seafood.   

 

Seungyeon and Shinhye had started their medical education on the same day and quickly became close during their university days. By coincidence the both of them ended up at the same hospital as well.

 

Some of the other interns were eyeing their lunch choices suspiciously. But the both of them didn’t care much; they could be considered foodies. They loved to seek out different restaurants and try unusual food. Also, sharing their meals had become a habit over the years whenever they hung out together.

 

“Ah it’s under control for now. However, the lady needs to be careful. A triplet pregnancy is seriously no joke for a woman’s body, especially at her age…” Shinhye answered and started digging into her lunch.

 

“Yah, what’s with the turtle neck again? Is this a new trend? Aren’t you hot under all these clothes? The hospital is quite warm. The operators pay a fair share for the expensive heating system here.” Seungyeon wondered, eying her closely and Shinhye couldn’t help but instinctively pull the top of her neck cover a little higher.

 

She hadn’t told anyone about the strangulation marks that were still faintly visible on her skin and she wasn’t planning on blowing her cover now. She didn’t want the others to worry. They would get upset with her for leaving by herself again and she had already learned her lesson. No need to unnecessarily heat things up for a second round of lectures.

 

“Perhaps Shinhye-ssi has a boyfriend and wants to cover something…” One of the other interns teased, making Shinhye want to cover her face, because everyone was interestedly looking at her now. She clearly hated the attention.

 

Shinhye actually wished for the marks to be hickeys from a boyfriend, because it would actually mean that she would have finally overcome her commitment phobia. But instead she could almost hear the soundtrack of "Once Upon A Time In The West" [--> google it, it’s really depressing! XD] ringing in her ears and see imaginary tumbleweeds roll passed her whenever she entered her bedroom. Her love life was officially like a super dry dessert – no oasis in sight.

 

“I just have a bit of a sore throat.” Shinhye dismissed the speculations. It wasn’t even a lie. Besides the bruises she had also caught a slight cold, probably because she wasn’t wearing much on her dreadful way home after going clubbing.

 

“Did you already get a check-up?” Seungyeon asked worriedly, her eye brows furrowed.

 

“I’m all good already. I took some meds before.” Shinhye lied as best as possible and made an awkward peace sign to show that she was fine.

 

“Hello.” Someone suddenly greeted behind them, causing the whole table, excluding herself, to straighten up.

 

Shinhye calmly turned her head towards Jang Keunsuk, who was standing at the top end in all of his pretty man glory. The white doctor’s gown really looked fabulous on him.

 

Unlike the others around her she actually felt comfortable in his presence, after all he never got tired of treating her like his very own sister. He sometimes , but that was the maximum of nervousness she endured while being with him.

 

Wouldn’t it be great to date someone who already knows almost everything about you? Besides Shinwon and Hongki he was the only male she actually trusted. Instead of feeling all awkward, it would have been nice to go out with him. But she was aware that it wasn’t going to happen… like ever. Not unless a Cinderella fairy appeared and completely changed the light he saw her in. What a shame.

 

“Sunbae” The table greeted in chorus. Shinhye chimed in. She tried to not show her closeness to their superior at work. She didn’t want people to think she was favoured because they knew each other personally.

 

“I don’t know if you have seen the black board already. But the top two interns will get a chance to go on a trip to Jeju for the annual medical conference. So do well in your weekly evaluation. It’s going to increase your chances of being hired after your internship is over. Work hard!” He let them know with a meaningful gaze and when his eyes stopped on Shinhye. She immediately turned away to not become the centre of attention.

 

Excited murmurs could be heard. 

 

Seungyeon nudged her arm.

 

“Looks like we are going for a trip.” She said excitedly.

 

“We don’t know that yet.” Shinhye disagreed.

 

“Oh please. You and me, we are gonna rock this week. Just make sure your triplets become healthy mortals tomorrow and we are good to go. I already saved my spot in an operation with Mr. Jang Sunbaenim.” She confidently stated.

 

Unlike Shinhye, Seungyeon always saw things positively and truth be told, she had a point there. None of the others were close to assisting at a triplets’ birth or an operation with genius surgeon Jang Keunsuk himself.

 

“Alright.” Shinhye eventually chuckled. “I’ll get my bag ready.”

 

“That’s my girl.” Seungyeon retorted with a grin, forcing her into a high five.

 

“Why are you so keen on going? I bet you’ve been to Jeju before. You have top grades and you come from a good family. They’ll hire you anyway. This hospital would be stupid not to…”  Shinhye wondered.

 

It was true, Seungyeon’s family consisted of wealthy politicians and business people. She was a bit tomboyish like Shinhye and you wouldn’t be able to tell straight away if you didn’t know her better. However, even the simple clothes she was usually wearing cost more than what other people spent on exceptional occasions.

 

“Oh you know… my special someone is going to Jeju around the same time. Perhaps I can surprise him.” She explained with a conspiratorial smile.

 

“You mean ‘control what he is up to’?” Shinhye asked mockingly, causing Seungyeon to stick out her tongue.

 

“Yah! Better be safe than sorry!” She replied jokingly, causing Shinhye to shake her head in laughter.

 

It was obviously not Seungyeon’s intention at all. She wasn’t the overly jealous type. Everyone knew that the guy would have to be an idiot if he ever let a smart and easy going girl like her go. As far as Shinhye knew, her significant other was always busy with business so she probably just tried to create some additional time for themselves.

 

A few minutes later Shinhye’s pager beeped, showing a notification from Jang Keunsuk to meet him at his office.

 

“You need to go?” Seungyeon asked and Shinhye nodded, ending their lunch early.

 

“Yeah, something came up.” She replied “My shift just ended as well so I guess I’ll see you tomorrow.” She added, friendly squeezing Seungyeon’s shoulder before leaving.

 

“Alright! In case I don’t meet you in the morning, make sure you bring these three babies into the world properly. Hwaiting!” Shinhye’s friend said half encouragingly, half threateningly, giving her a wink with her unique caramel brown eyes.

 

Jeez, Seungyeon really wanted to go on this trip badly.

 

♡♠♡

 

When Shinhye entered their apartment, the whole living room looked like an explosion had just taken place. Half-filled suitcases were blocking the way to the kitchen and clothes and accessories were lying around absolutely everywhere.

 

It’s this time of the year again, Shinhye thought to herself. The semester break.

 

She could hear Krystal talk on the phone with her sister in English. She was a designer and they were probably already planning their visit at various fashion shows in America.

 

This time the goodbye was worse though, because Choa was packing, too. She had decided to move back home during the holidays. That way it would be easier for her to take care of her family issues.

 

Shinhye went to the kitchen first to rid herself from the grocery bags. It was their last night together so she brought home some food for a good old ladies night - with an additional Hongki, if he could make it. Apparently he was still working on something… most likely setting a new record on the game he was playing at the moment.

 

“Choa-yah,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter