When They Befriend

Even Royalties Were Young Once

Another pinch landed on her cheek as Taekwoon clicked his tongue again. "Smile. Not smirk." he said simply, while also barely changing his neutral expression.

 

Hayeon rubbed her cheek and tried again. Taekwoon had shown her the steps at doing the emotions effectively. They even had some in depth conversation about how to channel such expressions, but at this point it's reflex for her to show confidence through every part of her body, of course, including the littlest expressions on her face.

 

When Taekwoon gave a nod, she knew she did better. It wasn't that easy to get used to her partner's quiet way of guiding, and for the past three days of decent practice, she's finally learning to understand the meaning of the boy's little gestures.

 

While she speaks everything in her mind, Taekwoon will hold almost everything unless it's necessary to express his opinion. Although, it seems that his comebacks to her sassy comments aren't part of the things he keeps to himself.

 

"I swear, my cheeks will fall off before I can escape you." she remarked playfully.

 

Taekwoon didn't bother replying. While she spent the days learning the hidden unspoken words of her partner, Taekwoon had learned to filter through the words Hayeon say. That she doesn't mean everything she says, and that she doesn't always need a response, just a need to speak her mind.

 

"Anyway, cookie break!" she announced happily. She finally found the time to bake again yesterday. She's getting tired of the staple chocolate bar she can buy from the school cafeteria. It's nicer when she can make her own sugar booster to take during practice.

 

Taekwoon silently followed her, already used to Hayeon's sugar break during practice. His partner had explained to him that it's kind of her way in boosting herself up in the middle of a tiring practice. He didn't question it much, especially since Hayeon is more than happy to share her sweets to her partner. He definitely isn't going to question free food.

 

Today is a bit different though. For the last six days, this is the first time that Hayeon brought cookies instead of the usual chocolate. But he didn't ask much as he sat against the wall, mimicking Hayeon's position around a feet away from him, with the cookies between them.

 

"My dance teacher wanted me to come to practice tomorrow." Hayeon started, munching on a cookie as she kept her eyes in front of her. She saw Taekwoon's hand from the corner of her eye reaching for the bag between them and was thankful at the fact that they had grown comfortable over the days.

 

"Mm." was the reply she got next to her and she took it as a sign to continue.

 

"I think this practice really helped me. You're also getting better at moving around. Now, I regret fighting with you and wasting the first three days." she confessed.

 

She may be a total diva but she knows when to give credit when credit is due. She knows she isn't the best kind of student outside of dancing so she's thankful that Taekwoon spares her the patience before she can grasp the expressions he's trying to embed into her dance routine.

 

"Do you want to learn the play?" Taekwoon asked next to her. A bit muffled because of the food still in his mouth, Hayeon knew because she keeps seeing Taekwoon's hand reaching for the cookies.

 

She tried to consider the question a bit. 'Do I want to learn the play?' It was certainly interesting when she saw it. A lot of scenes and expressions and she was honestly amazed at how Taekwoon has everything down. Well, except for the moves, but he's quickly fixing that with Hayeon's help.

 

"Maybe if you will be my dance partner for practice." she answered playfully.

 

She wasn't expecting the answer that follows. "Teach me your routine, then."

 

Hayeon faced him then, surprised by the answer because as far as she knows, Taekwoon doesn't really like the practice since it makes his whole body ache afterwards. She was about to voice just that when she noticed her cookie bag.

 

"You ate them all!" she exclaimed, looking in all ways accusatory at Taekwoon.

 

The drama club boy just looked at her with his neutral face, still with a few crumbs near his lips. 

 

"I spent yesterday baking those!" she added.

 

At that, Taekwoon's neutral face finally broke into a blushing mess. "I'm sorry. They were so good. You baked those?" he asked in his whispery voice.

 

Hayeon felt herself deflate. That was the first compliment he heard from Taekwoon and it sounds so sincere that she can't bring herself to be totally angry at her partner.

 

"Yes. I baked those."

 

"They were really good. I couldn't help myself." he answered, peeking at Hayeon's face to see if she's still angry at him. Well, she isn't, and she's happy he sincerely complimented her cookies but he still ate everything. She only had two.

 

She sighed then. "Oh well, it's gone now. Nothing to do anymore."

 

Taekwoon was still feeling sorry. He didn't know Hayeon personally baked those. He thought they were just the usual store bought sweets she brings during practice. 

 

"Don't bring lunch tomorrow." he said softly. Hayeon almost missed it. But then again, the room was empty saved for the two of them so she still heard it.

 

"Why?"

 

"Just because."

 

~*~

 

She really didn't bring lunch the following day and it amazed her. The amount of trust she was willing to give Taekwoon even if the boy never told her why she shouldn't bring her food today. She just hopes he won't be an about this because she will really skin him alive.

 

It was around three minutes after the lunch bell rang when the attention of the students still in the classroom was pulled to the entrance of the room. And here she was thinking if Taekwoon would actually call her, but he didn't. The guy just stood there and stared at her. He really does keep his mouth shut unless absolutely necessary. Oh well.

 

Hayeon stood up and walked to him, and still without a word, Taekwoon turned and she caught the unspoken, 'Follow me.'

 

 ~*~

 

"Holy ! You can cook!" she said in mouthfuls of food.

 

"Ew! Gross! Don't talk!" Taekwoon exclaimed, scooting away from her.

 

Hayeon could care less. Taekwoon, in exchange for finishing her self baked cookies, had brought her lunch he himself made. And woah! He can surely cook! There's croquette and omelette and even asparagus with wrapped bacon. This has been her fanciest lunchbox in her entire life.

 

"Are you sure you made this?" she asked after swallowing her food.

 

They went to their small practice room. The one they always use for their joint practice since no one really uses it but them, and since they're both practice idiots, their advisers had entrusted them with the keys so they're free to use it whenever.

 

"I make my own lunch." he said flatly.

 

"I'll make extra batches of sweets if you agree to bring me lunch." she proposed. She really like his cooking. Even more than her mom's (But you didn't hear that from her). And if Taekwoon likes her sweets enough, maybe they can make this an equal exchange.

 

"Deal!" he said, almost excited.

 

~*~

 

The next two weeks went by smoothly. Both Hayeon and Taekwoon still continuing their joint practice even as they now attend both their respective club practices. They even taken in into learning each other's play and dance routine. They were nowhere near as perfect as an experienced dancer or actress but the extra practice was fun and it helped the both of them.

 

"Our dress rehearsal is this Friday." she said as she lies flat on the floor. She was still sweating. She went hard today, trying to shake off the nerves of the performance being so close.

 

"Ours are, too." Taekwoon replied. He wasn't sweating as much but still equally tired.

 

"How?!" she asked surprised, getting up from her position.

 

"We'll be using the stage at the nearest college so we don't have to design the stage for a dress rehearsal." he explained.

 

Hayeon went back to her position on the floor. So much for wanting to see Taekwoon's dress rehearsal and seeing how her partner acts with the rest of the drama club members and also wanting Taekwoon to watch their dance rehearsal so he can see the improvement she's having because of his help.

 

"Maybe we can watch each other's performance?" Taekwoon asked tentatively.

 

She shook her head. "I think the dates overlap, too. This is a competition for us. The venue is set at a different school, while yours is set to be here, right?"

 

Hayeon didn't hear an answer but she assumed that Taekwoon gave a nod or some sort of quiet response.

 

"Well, good luck with yours." Taekwoon said after a while.

 

"Good luck with yours, too."

 

~*~

 

After an entire two hours of dress rehearsal, Taekwoon's group is finally done and is now getting ready to leave. He checked his phone immediately, waiting for Hayeon's update about their own rehearsal, but seeing the lack of any message, he assumed that they are still not done with theirs.

 

"....minor stage accident."

"... dance club..."

"She..."

 

Taekwoon turned his head then. Three club members were talking among themselves and from the words he heard, he isn't liking anything his mind is thinking of, so he walked to them and asked.

 

"What happened?"

 

~*~

 

She was crying when he got to the hospital. He had never seen her look so small. In the three weeks they had been together, he had only seen a strong confident Hayeon. So to see her with tears in her face, he just unconsciously wrapped her immediately in his arms. It was the first time he actually held her smaller frame against his own and the difference in their size made him feel that much more protective of her.

 

"They said I can't dance for the show." she sobbed, clinging on to Taekwoon tighter. "I can't even walk on it for a month." she cried brokenly.

 

He hugged her tighter. She had been so excited for it, was practicing a few more extra hours everyday.

 

He can't even tell her it will be okay, that'll be insensitive of him, so he just hugged her and let her cry.

 

~*~

 

Taekwoon changed out of his clothes as fast as he could. He was worried that Hayeon would dare and try to get out of her chair alone and then get swept away by the crowd. So in record time, he had finished changing, said a quick goodbye to his teacher and club members and went from the back stage to the main auditorium.

 

He breathed a sigh of relief when he found Hayeon still on her seat even if the entire place is empty now. She was still looking at the stage in awe. 

 

Smiling, he walked to her and sat on the next chair. "How was it?" he asked.

 

Instead of going with her team to the competition, she opted to just watch Taekwoon's stage. She said she'll only feel more miserable if she goes, especially since she's still walking with the help of crutches. Her right foot had to be in a cast. It was a minor injury but since she's a dancer and is planning to pursue professional dancing, the doctor had advised that they take the safest road for her recovery.

 

"You were great!" she exclaimed. She looked at Taekwoon then. The sparkle in her eyes were different, like a starstruck fan. "I mean the whole team is but you were amazing! I can see why you're the ace. It was... wow!" she said breathless.

 

Taekwoon smiled, feeling proud and embarrassed. He knows Hayeon is easy with the compliments if she deems it worthy but to hear her actually lost for words, it's a nice feeling.

 

"Shall we go?" he asked as he stood. He also reached for the crutches next to Hayeon to hand it to her then for her bag so he can carry it. He had taken it as his job to help her as much as he could. He knows how down she's feeling at the moment and he just wanted to make her comfortable in the least.

 

She laughed a sad laugh. "I almost don't want to." she said dejected and Taekwoon waited for her to continue. "I hate the stupid crutches. My hands hurt." As if to emphasize that, she showed Taekwoon her hands and it does look red in some areas.

 

Sighing, Taekwoon wore his bag to his front and told Hayeon to wear her bag. Confused, she did what Taekwoon instructed, wordlessly. Afterwards, he showed his back to her.

 

"I'm feeling nice today." he said as a silent invitation to climb on.

 

For a while, she just stared at his back. Getting no response and sensing no movements, Taekwoon looked at her and raised an eyebrow, asking.

 

"You said I was heavy." she said quietly.

 

Taekwoon remembered that. He did say that during their fourth day, the first day they actually did decent practice together. 

 

"And you said you weren't." he countered, also remembering her response to his complaint.

 

Slowly, he felt her climb to his back. She was clutching her crutches to his front lightly. She really isn't that heavy, and even if she was, he wouldn't be saying a word about it.

 

"Thank you, Taekwoon." He heard her whisper softly and he just hoisted her up more comfortably onto his back before he started walking outside the auditorium.

 

"You're welcome, Queen Hayeon." he whispered back and got a light slap on his shoulder for it.

 

-----------------------------------------------

 

Akira: So this wraps up the High School Arc of The Queen and The Ice Prince series. Please wait for the college arc which will be uploaded (hopefully) soon! 

Subscribe to this to receive the notice for the next part. Thank you ^^ Comments will be very much appreciated :)