When They Meet

Even Royalties Were Young Once

"Again!" their supervising adviser said. They had been practicing this scene for how many times now. Taekwoon has no problems delivering his lines or the expressions required for the scene. His biggest problem is...

 

A slash, a stab, dodge, roll and get up.

 

This was supposed to be the drill but somehow his lanky, still growing body gets stuck at dodge and the sword prop hits him square in the head each time.

 

"You need to be more flexible!" their director told him. Taekwoon didn't hear the sigh but he sure saw it.

 

He hung his head low, just accepting it because he knows he's seriously messing up their practice. He was trying to shrink into himself despite his growing build. He's usually confident on the stage but puberty had hit him and now he doesn't exactly know how to move his body anymore.

 

"I think we need to do something else with you." their adviser said and Taekwoon just stayed silent. Their teacher seems to be thinking of something then said, "Maybe you need a separate practice."

 

Taekwoon was surprised at that. Is he getting kicked out of the play? No. He can't. 

 

Their director seems to notice his distress and smiled "We aren't changing actors, don't worry. We just think you need a separate practice." Then he went back to their adviser and supplied, "Taekwoon has no problems with lines or expressions anymore. Just the actions."

 

She nodded, agreeing with the claim, "Okay, then. Taekwoon, go to the faculty room after club practice." then she left and Taekwoon just stood there, still silent and sorry.

 

~*~

 

"You need to express sadness for this dance." the dance instructor told her, giving an example by making a few spins with downcast eyes and lips pressed into a thin line.

 

Hayeon's face had turned sour at hearing the same comment, expressing her obvious dislike at the statement that she's still failing this area of the dance routine they have been practicing for the upcoming show.

 

"Don't give me that face, Hayeon." the instructor scolded her. 

 

"But I am expressing sadness!" she argued back, even going as far as lightly stomping her feet. Her partner, a boy also part of the dance department just stood quietly next to her but didn't fail to give a disbelieving face at Hayeon's statement.

 

"No. You're giving your partner looks that says you want to wring his neck." their instructor countered. Out of the corner of her eyes, she also saw the boy giving a minute nod before Hayeon gave him a quick glance and the boy quickly shook his head with his hands in front of him in a defensive position.

 

"Well..." she huffed again, bringing her attention back at their instructor. "How dare he leave his lover when she begged him to stay!" She knows. She knows she's being difficult but her real personality is dripping off the character she's trying to portray. She just can't help but feel irritated over the fact that even her character is going to let this guy just walk all over her even if she had begged him to stay. If it was her, she would at least whack his head and maybe kick him on the shin as well. Okay. This is a real problem.

 

"Hayeon..." their dance teacher sighed, massaging her temples. Hayeon is their ace. An unmatched grace on the dance floor. A natural dancer. But she's such a... a... a queen! A very strong personality that she can't seem to control even if the dance calls for it. And they can't have that with this.

 

There was a high pitched sound of frustration before Hayeon sat herself on the floor, glaring at the harmless dance floor and letting out deep breaths as if to calm herself. Then as if it was getting tortured out of her, she grated each and every word out. "Okay. I know I have a huge problem here and I don't want to be the head that messes this up."

 

She needs to be scolded for her language but their instructor held herself back. Hayeon rarely backs down from anything and crossing her right now isn't the top of their priority. Her actually admitting her faults is one of the many things that made her a very likeable person and student despite her absolute diva personality, which of course she is very well aware of herself.

 

"So, ma'am, do you have a suggestion on how I can fix this?" On the floor, looking up at her instructor, she actually looked small. 

 

When she asked so sincerely like that, she's finally looking like the 15 year old girl that she is and not the Queen of the Dance Floor that everyone knows her for.

 

"I'll think about it, dear. Come to the faculty room with me later? So we can discuss it?" she said back just as sincere and Hayeon nodded minutely.

 

~*~

Hayeon followed her instructor quietly after both of them had changed out of their practice clothes. She has no idea how they are going to fix this problem in time for the show next month but she's willing to do any sort of practice that her teacher may come up with if it will help her overcome this.

 

Facing the door to the faculty room, she heard people already talking inside,,, probably still some of the teachers left to do some extra work or club advisers still discussing things with their respective club members. When her instructor finally opened the door, Hayeon saw that it was the latter case.

 

A tall skinny boy is talking with the teacher she knows is in charge of the drama club. The drama club teacher gave the newcomers a nod in greeting but the boy didn't even look back to check who entered. 'Rude.' Hayeon immediately thought.

 

"Ms. Kim., club matters, too?" the dance teacher asked.

 

"Yeah. Our Taekwoon here is having problems with moving on stage because of his growth spurt. And he's our main so we can't really afford a stage error on his part." the drama teacher answered. "And yours?"

 

"Well... Hayeon here is having some problems with certain expressions. It's a new genre for her and she's also our main so her impact is strong."

 

Hayeon felt guilty again. Her instructor was indeed saying the truth. Anything Hayeon will do on that stage will create a huge impact on the performance so she really needs to fix her faults as soon as possible.

 

The drama teacher gave a sigh, "I was thinking of giving Taekwoon a separate sort of practice because he already has the lines and expressions down, it's just his movements and flexibility that is a problem but then... I don't want to just suddenly drop my member into the other clubs to help him with that."

 

She noticed the head of the boy sinking even deeper, like he's also guilty over causing his club almost the same sort of problem.

 

"Wait... Ms. Kim. Is Taekwoon good at showcasing expressions and do you think maybe he can teach that?"

 

The other teacher seems to be confused at first before she finally followed where the other teacher was going to. She brightened up instantly. "Yes! He's very good! He's a really good actor! And I'm sure your student there is also good with her movements?"

 

"Yes! Yes! So... Hayeon... What do you say?"

 

Her instructor's attention is back on her and she was honestly at a loss for words. Are they seriously suggesting that she practice together with this guy that hasn't even faced them this whole time?

 

The other teacher seems to get the message and silently told the boy to turn around. When he did, Hayeon immediately understood why he's an actor. He was handsome. Pale skin with dark sharp eyes and small pink lips. Also, despite his skinny frame, his cheeks were full. But that's the end of the story. He looked expressionless as hell.

 

"Why do I have to learn emotions from a guy who looks like he had never smiled from the past decade and a half?" was her first comment after entering the faculty room and being introduced to her probable practice partner for the next following week, maybe.

 

"Plus one."

 

She heard a soft voice speak. Hayeon immediately turned her head, making sure that she heard the voice from the right person because well... she didn't expect such a soft featherlight voice from the guy that not only stood like a freaking statue but also looked it.

 

"What?" she asked after confirming the owner of the voice.

 

"Add one more year. I'm 16." the boy clarified indifferently.

 

For a good long while, Hayeon just stared. It wasn't often that someone talks back to her and even if they did, it's mostly filled with irritation that she's so used directed at her. Not this, calm indifferent reply that is also very rude. No way she's agreeing to practicing with this guy.

 

~*~

 

Ten minutes later and Hayeon is now staring at the reflection of the boy on the mirror. He hasn't said a word after his remark over Hayeon's comment about his face. He didn't even said anything when their teachers happily assigned them to each other despite Hayeon's obvious displeasure. But then again, she isn't in a place to complain especially since she's the one that has a problem with their routine. But! Maybe their teachers wouldn't have agreed on it if this guy had expressed his protest as well.

 

With a huff and another deep breath, she turned around to face him and said, "Okay. Introductions first." she tried for a smile, even if she definitely don't want to socialize with Mr. I-Didn't-Smile-For-The-Past-Decade-And-A-Half-PLUS-ONE. "I am Cha Hayeon. Second year from the dance club." She even went so far as to hold out her hand for a handshake.

 

The guy just stared at her hand like she's offering him her dirty socks and just quietly replied, "Jung Taekwoon." and nothing more.

 

Being a naturally short tempered person from the start, it was actually a surprise she even managed to introduce herself calmly but now, "Would it hurt to actually say maybe five more words? We need to work together here because believe it or not we're both baggages for our clubs and I have a performance in one month that I definitely cannot miss. Are you even interested in actually fixing your faults? Because I am. Plus I honestly don't even know how the hell you're going to help me! Your face looks like you haven't used your facial muscles since you were born!" she ranted all at once.

 

Afterwards, she finally saw the first kind of emotion on the guy's face and it spelled... well... exasperation, coupled with an eyeroll and a sigh. "Would it hurt you to actually shut up?"

 

At that, Hayeon smiled. The right side of her face twitching in annoyance. She's definitely never going to have a decent talk with this guy, much less have a decent outcome out of this stupid joint practice.

 

Taekwoon then raised an eyebrow at her, judging then said "And wow, you really can't fake a smile." followed by a huff and a sigh like he's the only one getting tired.

 

Yup. Definitely never going to get along. She definitely want to wring his little neck right now. Maybe whack him on the head too and kick him on the shin and she would never ever beg him to stay.

 

"Go to hell!"

 

"Likewise."