Chapter 3

Lost Cause

Morning arrived quickly and Iseul found it hard to get out of bed. She felt all groggy and tired; it would be too much to even try to get out of bed. She groaned in ache and tossed to sleep on her other side.

 

Downstairs, Byunghun was slowly waking up. He looked around him and saw the others were still quite passed out; he shook his head knowing the amount of pain they would feel once they awoke. He stood up and cleaned himself up. He walked out the bathroom, wiping his face with the towel, and shaking his hair into place.  

He looked through the small gap in the doorway of Iseul’s bedroom. He could see the blankets covering her entire body, only revealing the top of her head. Her breathing was ragged and then a cough vibrated though your throat.

Byunghun’s chest tightened all of a sudden. A new feeling washed over him;  a feeling he couldn’t really understand.

Nara rushed up the stairs and barged past Byunghun to throw up in the bathroom. He looked back with concern. Nara’s pained moans filled the small bathroom as she lifted her head, trying to rid her hangover and dizziness.

Byunghun stood in the door way, “You feeling better?”

Nara shook her head, “I honestly feel like my stomach is burning and every time I throw up”

Byunghun reached over to feel her forehead; it was at normal temperature, “You threw up somewhere else?” he asked trying to lighten the atmosphere.

Nara managed a giggle, “In the ugly looking vase by the window”

Byunghun paused, “In the vase?”

Nara nodded with a small giggle as she washed her face.

Byunghun sighed loudly, “Nara” he said her name firmly, “You do not go throwing up any where you like in my house”

She blinked and her friend, wondering why the sudden outburst, “That Iseul girl can easily clean it”

Byunghun massaged the bridge of his nose, “Nara...” He reluctantly stopped backing Iseul, worrying over what was happening to him.

Nara furrowed her brows, watching Byunghun sigh in frustration. She couldn’t help but think that Byunghun may, just may have gone a little soft toward Iseul. She shook her head. ‘No, Byunghun said he only cares for me’ she repeated in her head. But the uncertainty stayed with her.

 

Byunghun didn’t feel like going out for the third time in a row so they all decided to stay home. While the boys and Nara were chatting and animatedly laughing, Byunghun kept the quietest. His eyes ventured towards the staircase and wondered what you were doing.

Changjo sat down beside his hyung and squeezed his shoulder, “You’ve been awfully quiet tonight”

Byunghun realised he was being talked to and looked at Changjo with a small smile, “I’m just exhausted, that’s all”

Changjo nodded and kept quiet, not wanting to press on any further. CAP all of a sudden cried out in agony, “This is so boring! Let’s put some music on!”

He headed to the stereo. The music pumped through the speakers, blasting off of each wall and echoing to every hidden corner. Byunghun perked up, “Yah, turn that down!”

The boys were all prancing around foolishly on the floor, moving in sync with the music. Nara tried to get Byunghun to join them but he resisted.

“Come on Byunghun, it’s no fun without you” Nara pouted. Byunghun groaned, not sure of what to do.

 

Iseul suddenly jerked her body up. The rush brought her pain to her head and the pounding music didn’t help either.

“Music?” she looked at the time. Nobody should have been home right now, least of Byunghun and his beloved friends.  Iseul slowly got up from her bed. Her body was a bit sore for lying down do much, but she still made her way to the stairs.

As she crept down the stair, the voices became louder and there was loud stomping of feet. Iseul reached the living room door and opened it up and saw absolute chaos.

Food was strewn across the floor, clothes hung on the chairs, the furniture moved from its correct place and the boys jumping around the room.

Nara was gently pulling and whining at Byunghun to join them, who was still reluctant.

Iseul’s eyes wandered from each imperfection to the next and to the next and to the next until she couldn’t take it anymore, “YAAAAAAAAAH!!” burned with the scream; it felt like her flesh had been torn ever so mercilessly.

Everyone stopped moving in surprise and looked at a very furious Iseul standing in the door way. They watched with the same shocked expression as she walked over to the stereo and pulled out the plug.

The next time she spoke, her voice was raspy and strained, “I want each and every one of you to get the hell out of my house”

The boys dared to half scoff. Nara straightened up and smirked, “What makes you think we’re leaving. Byunghun wants us here”

Iseul’s breathing became sharp again, like always whenever she was so angry that it made her skin crawl with fire, “Byunghun doesn’t live here anymore. Leave.” She said with a cold tone that was not to be messed with.

Each friend turned to look at Byunghun who simply stared at Iseul. He noticed the anger and hurt in her eyes, the way her knuckles whitened with such strength and her frown lined much more prominent.

“Hyung!” one of the younger boys whined.

Byunghun steadily stood up, “You heard her: we have to leave”

Iseul glared as each other person followed Byunghun out. The moment she heard the door click shut, she slumped into the sofa. was still throbbing and her eyes were beginning to sting and pulse that she felt they would pop out any moment.

That was it. She would never see Byunghun again. She kept on thinking of that. What would be next? A divorce? She scoffed to herself; it wasn’t like Byunghun would magically fall for her over night.

She scrunched her eyes shut and allowed herself to fall asleep again, away from the pain.