Chapter 2/3

Live to See the Sunrise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The second time she met her, was in the café she worked at.

Business was slow that particular Wednesday night, so she was sitting at the counter, quietly observing the handful of customers, ready to tend to them if they needed anything.

She stood up from her stool when the door opened and a series of laughter filtered in, turning her attention to incoming customers.

“What do you guys want?” she heard one of them ask. All of them were reading off the menu board above the counter.

“Since Tiff is treating, let’s get everything on the menu”

“Hey go easy on me alright”

Taeyeon observed them quietly, admiring their office wear and wondering how it would feel like working in an office. Her fingers drummed against the counter idly by habit, while the group of office women collate their orders.

When they seem to have come to an agreement, the one with a pastel pink blouse and navy pencil skirt walked over to the counter while the other 3 walked away to look for their preferred table.

“Welcome, what-“, Taeyeon paused for a millisecond there, suddenly recognising the face in front of her but tried to mask her surprise “would you like to have?”

“Hi, I would love to get 2 caramel latte, 1 hot chocolate and 1 iced Americano, 1 blueberry tart, 1 apple pie and 2 slices of cheesecake please”

Of course she wouldn’t remember me, why would she. Taeyeon said in her mind as she typed in the orders.

“That would be $32 in total”

Tiffany handed her a card with a polite smile which Taeyeon missed since her attention was on the card as she took it from her. She pretended to be indifferent, but took an extra glance on the name printed on the card before swiping it on the register. Tiffany Hwang. 

So it’s really her. Taeyeon did not understand that slight tinge of disappointment from Tiffany’s lack of recognition.

Why would she even remember you, you were just a stranger. A weirdo feeding cats in the middle of the night. She mentally scolded herself as she stared at the screen of the register, waiting for the bill to be printed.

When all was done, she handed the receipt and card back to her customer. “Please take a seat while the food and drinks will be served shortly”

She gave a small smile before turning away to prepare the food and drinks.

She didn’t understand why she was feeling this way. She had always been hidden in her own shell anyway, so she had no explanation for that slight disappointment at Tiffany’s lack of recognition. She refused to admit that deep inside, she yearn to have more connections with others.

As someone who would never know when she would stop waking up the next day because of her illness that is unpredictable, not possessing many connections is a great deal for her. It saves herself and the others from any possible hurt, because there is nothing more painful than losing someone you love. At least that is what she tells herself, so she tends to distant herself from people.

Amidst her thoughts, she finished the preparations and placed all the drinks and food on a tray before walking towards the table.

She unintentionally met the gaze of one of the ladies and looked down immediately at the tray.

Inferior, was what she always felt. Socially awkward, was how she always behaved.

The conversation within the table seemed to have paused for her to unload the cups and plates, so she did so as quickly as she could, ignoring the slight tremble in her hands. Don’t drop anything, don’t drop anything, she chanted in her mind.

The silence was making it uncomfortable for her as she felt eyes on her moving hands, even though the ladies were probably just looking at the food.

“Enjoy” she said with a slight bow before hugging the tray and skittering away.

She heaved a sigh when she plopped down on her stool behind the counter, fishing out her phone since there’s only two tables of customers and there seem to be none incoming.

Sooyoung:  [21:13]

Sooyoung: I need to find out who did this. FIGHT ME [21:13]

She giggled slightly at Sooyoung’s message, scrutinising the photo once again.

Taeyeon: That’s a good one though [21:58]

Sooyoung: Not when my man is involved.  Why are you on your phone, is the business slow? [21:58]

Taeyeon: Yes, save me, I’m bored [21:58]

Sooyoung: I’m on your bed [21:59]

Taeyeon: …why are you on MY bed?? [21:59]

After a series of banter, she noticed a table of customers leaving and decided to fulfil her duty of cleaning up.

As she trudged towards the table with her rag, she made a subtle glance at Tiffany, only to widen her eyes in shock when they made eye contact.

Hurriedly, she looked away, feeling a bit of a blush on her cheeks.

After that, nothing unusual happened until Tiffany and her friends were leaving the café.

Taeyeon was sitting at the counter, elbow on the table top and her chin resting on her palm. She was just staring out of the window when she felt a presence.

As she looked up, the sight of Tiffany in front of her counter made her straighten up immediately.

“Taeyeon, right?” Tiffany took a quick glance at her nametag. “Do you perhaps remember me?”

Taeyeon stared back at her, mouth agape.

“U-uh. T-Tiffany?”

“Oh my god I’m glad you do! I was disappointed when you didn’t acknowledge me just now. How’s Ginger?”

 As her fingers fidgeted with the ends of her shirt, she felt her face warm up at Tiffany’s friendly outburst.

“I.. I wasn’t sure if you remembered me so…a-and Ginger is fine”

“I didn’t know you work here. I visit this café every morning to get coffee on my way to my office and I didn’t see you”

From the corner of her eye, she felt Tiffany’s friends waiting for her so she didn’t know whether to end the conversation for them.

“Oh I.. I work the night shifts only”

Tiffany nodded, forming an O.

“Well, I guess I’ll see you around then, Taeyeon”

Tiffany’s beaming smile just took her breath away.

************************************************************************************************************

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter