Even If We Could Turn Back

The Time Given to Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She said she used to be a trainee.

Yeah, comes the reply, I’d heard about that with the boys. There were rumors that she dated some of them but she’s cute so no one really complained. Also she probably didn’t actually. There’s no way the company would have let her manage them if that had happened.

Oh. But that means she had the same dream. And she’s just-

Jieqiong, tons of people had the same dream. I had the same dream and now I’m writing music. For your sorry . It happens.

Yeah but writing music and being a manager is different. You’re still creating, you’ve always wanted to create. She’s just… watching me.

...Are you being an ungrateful brat now? You of all people should know how hard she works to shuttle your around and make sure you don’t die.

No! You know that’s not what I-

Kidding, . Breathe. I know what you mean. She chose this path. Or it chose her. Or something else happened. Who knows. The world is like that. It’s not your fault.

Yeah but-

It’s not. Even if you have the biggest fattest crush on her.

I do not.

Pft. Uh huh. You tell that to yourself. I’ve already heard so much about her I’m surprised you’re not either dating or she’s not run away yet from how annoyingly clingy you are. But really. Go dry your eyes and go outside and go apologize.

Wha-How-I’m not crying.

Liar.

I’m already done sniffling though. Sungyeon, you’re the worst.

No, you’re the idiot. Seriously though, go out there and apologize for being a presumptuous that assumed that you caused her pain.

She said she used to watch me and think about what it was like.

Oh.

See.

Well, that does sort of change things.

Sungyeonnnnnn. What does that mean?

That means you definitely don’t deserve her.

I-I know.

Ok fine, you might. Maybe just a little. If you behave. You’re so silly, you know.

That’s why you love me.

I do not love you.

Fine. When are you coming back/visiting? I haven’t seen you in a long time. I miss you. A little.

I landed 3 hours ago.

You. What. You didn’t say you were coming. I’m so betrayed.

Woman where do you live again? Do you have security? You do have security right? He’s giving me this look like I’m not supposed to be here. I guess I’m not supposed to be here.

Yes, I’m downstairs. Come get me. Hurry up.

Jieqiong snorts, rubs her nose, throws on sweatpants and a sweatshirt, walks out into the living room. Nayoung is not on the couch, only the dim light of the Squirtle lamp she got from a fan greets her.

Sure enough, as she slips her feet into her shoes, Nayoung’s door cracks open.

“Where are you going?”

“Just downstairs. A friend is here to visit.”

Nayoung raises her eyebrows, “You know you can just buzz them up?”

“I can… what?”

Nayoung flicks her gaze to the metal panel on the wall right next to Jieqiong’s head that says 1 missed call.

The system rings. Jieqiong jumps. Nayoung’s eyebrows retreat further into her hairline as she strides over.

“Y-yes?” Jieqiong’s hands fly over the panel looking for some button to press. Nayoung finds it immediately.

“Is this apartment 17-32?”

“Speaking,” Nayoung says from over Jieqiong’s shoulder, her hair tickling Jieqiong’s ear, “we’re expecting a guest. Feel free to send them up.”

Jieqiong swallows, acutely aware of how close they are right now.

“Yes ma’am,” the security guard says before they hang up.

Nayoung takes a step back, takes in Jieqiong’s mismatched sweatshirt and sweatpants, “This isn’t going to lead to something I’m going to have to pretend to not hear, is it?”

Pretend not to- Oh. Jieqiong flushes beet red, “Wh-What? No! I would never. Not in a shared- no.”

Nayoung’s smile is small but soft, “Alright. Didn’t think so anyway from what you’re wearing. I’ll be in my room. Don’t stay up too late. You have a small schedule tomorrow afternoon. Your friend can crash on the couch if they want.”

Jieqiong nods.

Nayoung sighs then ruffles Jieqiong’s hair, gently pats her head, “You worry too much, silly.”

Her door closes behind her.

---

“So she’s in her room?” Sungyeon sits cross-legged on Jieqiong’s bed, hair damp from the shower, in the pair of red bunny pajamas that Jieqiong had just washed.

Jieqiong nods.

“So you like, live together.”

Jieqiong groans.

“Oh, you’re so screwed.”

“I-”

Sungyeon snickers.

“I get why you overreacted now. You have it bad.”

“You haven’t seen her. She’s so cute and sweet. It’s not my fault.”

Sungyeon shrugs, “I’ve seen her. Fansites don’t always blur out managers very well. She is quite cute.”

Jieqiong nods mournfully.

“You do know,” Sungyeon says, pauses, “that she’s supposed to be nice to you, right?”

“Yes,” Jieqiong mumbles.

“Because she’s your manager. And her being nice to you gets you to cooperate.”

“Yes.”

“So you know,” Sungyeon gestures, “it’s not really because she like, likes you or anything.”

“I know,” Jieqiong puts her head in her hands, “I’ve known that the whole time. I’m crushing, I’m not crazy. I’m not delusional. I know she doesn’t-I know.”

Sungyeon pats her gently, “Oh you. What am I gonna do with you?”

Jieqiong sniffles.

---

Jet lag is brutal, thinks Sungyeon as she sneaks out of Jieqiong’s room in search of water. There must be water in the fridge or she can just get a cup of tap water or something.

She is halfway through filling up an adorable Pororo mug when the door to the other bedroom opens and the person who has got to be Nayoung steps out in a set of really adorable pajamas, long auburn hair tied in a loose ponytail, “What did I say about- oh, hello.”

Sungyeon dips her head, “Hi, I’m Sungyeon, Jieqiong’s friend.”

“Nayoung, her manager.”

Her grip is cool but strong, her gaze steely but warm. Sungyeon respects that.

“Getting water?”

Sungyeon shrugs, “Jet lag is a .”

Nayoung nods, “Let me know if you need extra bedding for the couch.”

Sungyeon grins.

“Nah, we’re good. Thanks.”

---

“You’re not staying for longer?”

Sungyeon shakes her head, “As amusing as that would be, no. I don’t want to share your bed again. One night of your fist in my face and your pointy elbows in my side was more than enough for me. And you hog the blankets. Ugh.”

“You could sleep on the couch.”

“Jieqiong,” Sungyeon says, “I can afford to pay for a hotel. Besides, I’m just going to go to my grandma’s place. I don’t want to sleep on your couch.”

Jieqiong opens .

Sungyeon cuts her off, “I’m sure it’s a great couch. I just don’t want

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter