Chapter 3

the more i fall for you

"YOO KIHYUN!!!" Hoseok screams from across the hall. "This is pure madness!"

Kihyun lowers his palms from his ears, groaning. "I just wanted peace and quiet. Why is everyone so loud?" he sobs.

"Kihyun!" Hoseok catches up to him, placing a firm hand on his shoulder to stop him from escaping his interrogation. "Explain,"

"Explain what?" Kihyun whines. "Did you really expect me to join your Taekwondo Club? Heck, I couldn't even lift my leg above my waist. Are you really expecting me to join you in kicking ? For real?"

"Yes!" Hoseok screeches. "You promised me!"

"Please don't shout at my ear," Kihyun whimpers. His ears have just suffered abuse because of Minhyuk's ranting about the seonbae he had an argument with. "And I never promised you anything,"

"You said you'll be with me!"

"I will, but not in Taekwondo,"

"No fair!"

Kihyun brushes off the older's hold on his arm. "Nothing in life is fair, Hoseok hyung."

The blonde pouts. "Fine. How about the Dance Club?"

The Dance Club with Chae Hyungwon as the Vice President? Hell to the no. "I already passed the form for the Music Club, hyung. They said that the room with the piano is available for the club,"

Kihyun blanches at the memory of his classmates gossiping about how an upperclassman beat up the delinquents who took over the Piano Room, said violent upperclassman being the one pouting and whining beside him.

"Oh, you still play? Like play professionally?" Hoseok awes. "Were you that of a piano genius to have the motivation to play until now?"

"I played the complete Fur Elise for you at age freaking seven." Kihyun yawns. "That aside, you're the one who dropped the classes and became a delinquent,"

"I'm not a delinquent!" Hoseok whines, "Those kids the other day just needed to be taught a lesson,"

"You're not a teacher, hyung." Kihyun turns to him. "Stop getting into meaningless fights like that,"

"Aw, are you worried about me?" Hoseok coos.

"Maybe? I don't know," Kihyun blushes. "Whatever. Just stop. I don't like you getting hurt,"

Hoseok halts in his walk, placing a palm on his heart, touched. "God, you're an angel. This world doesn't deserve you,"

Kihyun walks faster to hide the red spreading to his ears.

 

--

 

"You're.. in what club again?" Kihyun's jaw was slack.

"Archery Club," Minhyuk confirms, not looking away from his game, "I'm not that great though, so I don't need to practice much,"

Kihyun nods slowly, processing the information. "How about Jooheon?"

"Dance Club," Minhyuk groans while the big LOSE flashes in his phone, "I was there last year. It was pretty fun. They both dance and do music,"

"You dance?" Kihyun is shocked at his Minhyuk's growing list of talents.

"I sing, too. Sometimes. I'm not good, though." Minhyuk shrugs.

"I sing too. I join contests and stuff," Kihyun replies, a bit proud.

"Oh, you do?" Minhyuk raises his eyebrows. "I knew you were a cool kid,"

"I rap," Jooheon interrupts and Kihyun jumps in shock, "If you could sing, why didn't you join our club? We encourage vocalists more than the Music Club itself,"

Remembering Chae Hyungwon's annoying, full-lipped smile at the billboard beside the Dance studio door made Kihyun lose his smile, "No thanks. I'm satisfied with my club."

"Demo," Minhyuk cheers, "We need a demonstration of you talents, Ki."

"What song?" he hums in feigned disinterest, stabbing his fried chicken with a fork.

"How about Goblin's song? Beautiful?" Kihyun jumps once more with the new voice. Hoseok smiles at him, placating and well, the gorgeous smile did nothing but make Kihyun's heart beat faster.

"Oh," Minhyuk looks up from his gadget, "Hi, Wonho hyung,"

Hoseok greets the two youngest back, a hand on Kihyun's shoulder. "Can I borrow Kihyunnie for a bit?"

Minhyuk glares at the oldest, "You can't, you best friend thief!"

Hoseok's scoffs, "In my defense, I became Kihyun's best friend first!"

"No," Minhyuk stands, "I did,"

"Oh my god, please stop." Kihyun says exasperatedly. "You guys are literal kids,"

"He started it!" Minhyuk whines.

"No! You did!"

Kihyun rolls his eyes before dragging Hoseok by his arm. "Whatever. I'm going with Hoseok hyung, Minhyuk. We can just go out after classes,"

Hoseok sticks his tongue out for Minhyuk and Minhyuk in turn, sticks out his middle finger.

 

-o-o-

 

"Where are we going anyway?" Kihyun asks after a few minutes of silent walking.

"The Music Studio!" Hoseok announces with a 'duh' expression. Kihyun wipes it off his face with his palms.

Hoseok slides open the door, before running for the piano and beckoning Kihyun to sit beside him. Kihyun sighs, finding himself still following everything Hoseok wants him to do.

"You know, Kihyun." Hoseok starts, pressing a few random keys, "I still know how to play the piano, just not professionally,"

"I make songs with it," He continues. "I never loved the piano as much as you did. But when I was a child, with you sitting beside me here like this, my dream was for you to sing a song I created."

Kihyun's expression soften, "I didn't sing back then?"

Hoseok chuckles, "Yeah, right. I knew how you sing trot songs when you thought nobody was looking,"

Kihyun blushes, "You saw?!"

"I always did," Hoseok laughs. "I thought you were great. It was frustrating how you try to hide that you like singing, so it makes me happy to know that you are confident in your skills now. You join contests, right?"

Kihyun nods, "Yeah. I won a few,"

"Will you let me listen to your singing now?" Hoseok sweetly smiles at him and damn it, can anyone say no to that?

"What song?" Kihyun clears his throat. Heck, why is he even nervous? It's not like he's going to sing to impress him, right?

"That Goblin Ost?" Hoseok grins, "Beautiful! I've been listening to that song for a while now. It's nice."

"Sure," Kihyun mumbles the lyrics to himself before starting.

"It’s a beautiful life," Hoseok closes his eyes, "I’ll stay by your side,"

"It’s a beautiful life," Kihyun watches how the older relaxed, a smile tugging at his lips, "I’ll stand right behind you,"

Kihyun sings, growing more confident as the words flow out of his mouth.

"Beautiful life, beautiful day," Kihyun raises his eyebrow at Hoseok holding his hand, "Stay by my side,"

"Beautiful my love," Hoseok opens his eyes and their gazes meet. Kihyun's heart skips a beat. "Beautiful your heart,"

"It's a beautiful life," Kihyun ends and Hoseok lets go of his hand to clap excitedly.

"My ears!" He shouts, "They melted!!!"

Kihyun snickers, "You're exaggerating,"

"No, really. You're so great!" Hoseok argues. "I thought I was in heaven and the angels were singing right into my ear,"

"Whatever," Kihyun lamely replies, covering his reddening cheeks.

"Your voice is so beautiful I can talk about it all day," Hoseok says seriously and Kihyun smacks his face.

"Stop," Any further and Kihyun's heart will explode. He was used to receiving praises but it's different when Hoseok says it. He doesn't understand why. "You said you compose songs?"

"Yup," Hoseok confirms, face showing reluctance to let go of the topic of Kihyun's singing. "I am a semi-member of the Dance Club. Most of my friends are members so I was hoping you would join them, too. They're nice people,"

Join now! Kihyun's mind flashes back to Hyungwon's recruitment poster and he makes a face of disgust. Well, it's not like he can tell that reason to Hoseok, that guy's boyfriend, anyway, "I'm satisfied with my club, Hoseok hyung,"

"If you say so," Hoseok surrenders with a kicked puppy expression and Kihyun averts his eyes. If he stares at the older's dejected face any longer he might change his choices.

"I'll sing another song," and at that statement, Hoseok brightens up, ecstatically playing the piano as Kihyun's background music until the bell signal for the end of lunch rings.

They exit the room, a few students outside greeting Hoseok as they pass by.

"Who's this?" A tall, tan, full-lipped guys asks Hoseok.

"Shownu!" Hoseok greets brightly, hugging Kihyun for emphasis of his next proclamation. "Meet my best, best friend!"

Kihyun couldn't even react as his face was squished with Hoseok's chest (rock hard chest, Kihyun internally squeals.).

Shownu looks at their shoes and sees the differing colors. "He's a lower year?"

"Yeah. Class 2's very own Yoo Kihyun! He just transferred and, listen to this, Hyunwoo." Hoseok brags, not minding Kihyun who was struggling to breathe. "He plays piano veeeery well. And he's a singer, too! He's also the cutest being alive." Hoseok lets Kihyun go from his embrace to be able to pinch the younger's cheeks.

Shownu nods mutely. "Can you dance?"

Kihyun slaps Hoseok's grabby hands away. "I can but I'm not a dancer,"

"Why don't you join my club?" And Kihyun finally remembers where he saw the familiar face from. He was in the recruitment poster beside Hyungwon. But Hyungwon's annoying face was the only thing clear from the poster in his mind.

"I'm already in the Music Club. Sorry," Kihyun offers an apologetic smile and pinches Hoseok's cheek when he whispered "you could always switch clubs, idiot".

"I see, that's too bad." Shownu says in monotone. "Well, you better hurry up walking because classes will start soon," he grabs the two by the wrist before sprinting, dragging them with his pace.

The two waves Kihyun goodbye while running when they reached Kihyun's classroom. Kihyun, panting and sweaty, makes it just in time for when the teacher enters the room.

"You're friends with Shownu, now?" Minhyuk whispers behind him. Kihyun was pretty sure Minhyuk's seat was not situated behind him.

"Why are you there?" he asks, catching his breath.

"Hongbin and I switched seats but that's not the point," Minhyuk hastily whispers.

"Why did you switch seats?"

"Because I'm worried Wonho hyung will really steal my best friend position. It's an investment but as I said, that's beside the point." Minhyuk ducks down when the teacher glances their way.

Kihyun rolls his eyes, not answering the black-haired's query, picking up his notebook and opting to write notes of the lecture.

He feels something strange in the air and he side-eyes his classmates. There were several who had eye contact with him but immediately averted their gazes. He can also hear the girls whispering while leering at him, though what exactly they were talking about, he couldn't hear clearly.

He was definitely the silent center of attention. He tries to strain his ears to understand the gossiping but to no avail.

He turns to look at Minhyuk who was diligently answering his workbook, ignorant of the atmosphere in the room.

He has a really bad feeling about this.

 

--

 

 

Kihyun's indoor shoes were soaking wet the next day.