Final

Yesterday to Today

When this rain falls on my head. I’ll get all wet, even my heart will be soaked

 

    Victoria looks behind her, thinking that she heard someone whispering stay with me, but no one is behind her. She’s the only person standing still in the middle of a busy intersection. She brushes it off as a figment of her imagination. As she turns around to walk forward again, she hears the same voice saying, “I still can’t be in the rain alone without you.” Immediately, Victoria freezes in place and looks around frantically searching for the person that said those words. Stumbling around she eventually gets to the other side of the intersection, seeing a figure that looks so familiar she chases it. As she pushes through the crowd of people, she’s slowly losing him and eventually after turning a corner, he disappears. The sky crackles in laughter as if mocking her, taunting her. She stands under the darkening sky and awaits the rain, it pours down fast. Soon she’s drowning in her own tears since she’s scared of the dark and the rain. Crouched on the ground, she continues crying, no one takes heed of her. 

    She knows the rain will stop soon, but right now the cold rain falls on her as she blindly gets up and tries to get through the rain. As hard as she searches she can’t find him. Wandering aimlessly, she stumbles upon the place where they first met. It was around this time of year too, in the heat mixed with summer rain, they encountered and comforted each other. She was always scared of the rain and he was scared of losing someone. That day he comforted her and told her about his life. While, she gave him love and listened to him, as she herself forgot all about the rain. Together they walked through the downpour and soon the cold rain turned into warm tears, tears of laughter, and happiness. 

    Amidst the rain, Victoria smiles at the memory and continues to walk the path that she not long ago walked before. Far ahead she sees a figure wearing all black dropping white lilies in his trail. She stops, it’s him. Breaking into a sprint she tries desperately to catch up, yelling his name, but he doesn’t turn around or stop. The rain falls harder and makes it harder to see, the lily trail stops at 6 concrete stairs. Victoria looks through the rain trying to even spot a lingering figure of him, but he has completely vanished in this rain. She falls to the ground but reminds herself that this is just a passing downpour.

    Wandering again, Victoria finds herself retracing her steps, picking up every lily on the way. 16 white lilies in her hand as she continues to walk towards her only private place. A hidden flower garden that he made for her. They made it together, but it was mostly a gift to her for her birthday. Lifting the willow branches, she walks slowly to the other side. Taking a deep breath, she walks through their secret pathway and walks into their secret garden. Opening her eyes, she gets a flood of memories for every flower she looks at. That was the second time that they met, in a secret hiding place that they thought were only for themselves, but was discovered by each other. They were surprised when they saw each other again but immediately started conversing and talking like friends that haven't seen each other in years. Day by day, they started coming to the secret hiding place and talking to learn more about each other. One day, he brought rose seeds and decided to plant them because he thought their hiding spot was too bland, and she agreed. Thus, as the weeks passed, more and more flowers were planted and soon their hiding spot becomes a secret garden that they escaped to. The many laughs they shared together there made it the happiest place Victoria had ever been to. Reminiscing the happy memories, Victoria looks up and realizes that somehow she isn’t getting wet and sees that the foliage covers the majority of the roof. Through the foliage, she can see the moon crying along with her. Turning around she places the lilies in a neat pile right beside the red roses and walks straight out of the garden not glancing back. As soon as she steps out of the willow entrance, the rain falls on her head again. Her body is soaked and so is her heart, weighed down by the heavy rain. 

    Victoria looks up to the sky and sees one star shining brightly through the rain, but it’s so far away and so she decides to walk towards it. Walking to follow the star until she’s right under the star and looks around. She’s on the “Bridge of Love” or that’s what they called it when he asked her to be his girlfriend. She remembers that they spent every anniversary walking by the bridge, laughing and talking. When they were on the “Bridge of Love” They forgot everything, but each other. Victoria feels wet cold tears fall from her face and remembers one year when it rained so hard they decided to go home quickly to avoid getting sick. “When the rain stops, let’s meet again. We’ll smile again and be together”, that was truly the last time she saw him as that was yesterday. 

 

Will it stop now? These raindrops, these tears?

 

    The sky continues to darken and the rain falls mercilessly. She doesn't even have the strength to open an umbrella. She just stands there staring at that one star that’s shining brightly through the rain and decides to continue to walk in the direction of that star. Since she was only looking up, Victoria tripped over a small rock and fell to the ground. Standing up she sees a small scratch, but even her vision is getting shaky as she is also trembling because of the cold. Through what she makes out she sees him. Her eyes enlarge and confirms that it is him. She’s not losing him this time and sprints as fast as she can. Her life depends on it. It’s how she feels. After all, since she met him, she hasn’t lost any of the happy memories to the rain. Following him to an intersection, she finally catches up to him. Even though all the rain, she finally has found him. When she reaches out to touch him, she hears a loud honk and turns around to see a car driving directly towards her. She’s frozen in time, somehow she just can’t move out of the way of the incoming car. The rain somehow gets harder and time seems to stop. The reminder that she told herself before, that this was only a passing downpour was a lie. Victoria closes her eyes and waits for the impact promising that one day after the rain ends, she will be with him forever and smile again. 

    Victoria wakes up in an all white room with one window. It sounds like it’s still raining. She gets up and looks through the window. As she looks out of the window the rain starts clearing up and warm tears start to form. Regardless of the end result, the cold rain has turned into warm tears and one day they’ll be able to meet again and smile. It’s alright, it’s just a passing downpour, but for now, goodbye.

 

Let me just cry for a moment, as I hide behind the rain, so you won’t see my sad tears

 


A/N Thank you for reading! Please leave a comment and feel free to ask any questions or just to strike a conversation with me! Hope everyone is dealing well with the final episode, no more spoliers every week. It feels a little bit empty without the intesity of the wait every week. Thank you for reading and hope you liked the story!