My Hero...

Imprisoned

  Daehyun’s office turns out to be the building right behind the bank. I didn't realize this because I'm too busy working and I never think of going behind there when I have no purpose. Also, I hear that vampires of all class roam around that area. The building is two storied with long windows that reach from floor to ceiling. The golden, velvet curtains conceals the inside, but I can see light coming from one of the rooms.

  I stand in front of the door and just gawk at its beauty. It's a large wooden door with patterns of leaves and flowers carved into it, and the doorknob is pure gold. I'm reluctant to ring the bell because I feel so out of place just standing here. Who knows what it looks like from the inside.

  Before I can touch the bell, the door opens and a tall, young man greets me with a bow. “Young Master Jung is waiting for you. Follow me.” Without another word, he leads me up the stairs, through a long corridor, and to a double door room.

  He opens the door, and I see Jung Daehyun sitting behind an antique desk, reading reports on the bank. From this view, he appears so different from earlier. His focused eyes are captivating and the way he bites his bottom lip is intriguing as I can see one of his fangs poking out. Feeling our presence, he looks up with an eyebrow raised. He puts down the report and gives me an amusing smile. “Ah, Youngjae. I see you have decided to show up.”

  I roll my eyes. It's not like I had any other choice.

  Daehyun stands, circles to the front of his desk, and leans on it. He waves a gloved hand at the boy. “Zelo, you're dismissed.”

  Zelo bows and steps out, closing the doors behind him.

  Now that he's gone, I begin talking, “I'm here, so what is my punishment? Do I need to clean the bathrooms with a toothbrush for three days straight? Do I need to donate my own blood to you for free? Or are you going to fire me because I talked back to you?” I just really want to go home right now. But I hope he's not considering about firing me.

  Daehyun smirks and pushes off against the desk. He strides up to me with his hands in his pocket once more. There's just something about his gestures that makes me want to punch him in the face but also stare at him in awe. I don't know what is wrong with me.

  “I'm not going to fire you or do any of the things you suggested. I'm going to let you off with a warning.”

  I roll my eyes once more. Then what is the whole point of me coming here? “If that's the case, I will take my leave.”

  He grabs my arm, which I quickly pull away and give him a glare. This doesn't phase him, and he continues with his speech, “That doesn't mean I'm letting you leave after I invited you here.”

  Invited? What does he mean by that?

  He must have noticed my confusion because he adds, “I actually have an offer for you, and it's much better than just simply firing you. Become my Doll and you won't have to worry about working at the bank.”

  “What?” What did he just say? Jung Daehyun wants me to be his Doll? Why? I'm nothing special compared to actual, trained Dolls. I don't even consider myself up to those beauty standards. Not only that, he will be the laughing stock if other high class vampires find out that I'm not even qualified to be a Doll. This is just ridiculous! What did I do to deserve this?

  “I want you to be my Doll,” he repeats simply. There must be something wrong with him. No one in their right mind would hire a banker to become their Doll. No one.

  I try to find any indicator that he's joking and will say that I'm fired, but his eyes tell everything. They are looking straight into mine, and he doesn't even crack a laugh and continues on with a serious expression. I'm taken aback. “Why would you want me as your Doll? There's plenty more who are qualified and are a lot more appealing than I am. Not only that, but I'm pretty sure my blood isn't the healthiest or not up to par like actual Dolls. I don't know what you're thinking, but if other people heard you right now, they'll think you're crazy.”

  No reaction.

  Oh, c'mon. So he is being serious. “My answer is no. I don't even have any special talents!”

  Daehyun grabs my arm again and squeezes it to prevent me from pulling away this time. “The reason why I want you as my Doll is not because you don't have the looks or blood or because you don't have any talents. I want you because you're different. I can tell from the moment I met you that you're not like the other humans, and I want that.”

  “Then you're doing it so people can be jealous?”

  He doesn't give an answer, but I already know. Of course a guy like him will want to have something rare just to show off. I jerk my arm from his grasp and point a finger aat him. “I said no. There's no way I'm going to be your Doll.” I'm not going to accept it. Without another wait, I burst through the door and find Zelo around the corner.

  He straightens and opens his mouth to speak, but I storm pass him and head towards the stairs. I didn't even check if Daehyun or Zelo is behind me and walk out the front door. This guy has to be crazy! Why did I have to encounter such a guy when I've been living quite normal inside the Dome? I wish he never came to the bank while I was working.

  I head down the street. Very few vampires are roaming at this time as the Sun is about to rise. Probably forty five more minutes until Night will end and the streets will be completely empty. This is great because I will not be attacked by anything once it's Day time.

  I'm walking down the familiar streets still thinking about Daehyun’s offer. I can't believe he actually asked me to be his Doll. What is he thinking? I understand that one of the main reasons is because I am not that affected by a vampire’s pheromones, but that's about it, isn't it? I mean, I can sing, but that's during my private time. And it's impossible to get that information without personally hearing me.

  As I'm passing one of the neighborhoods, in the corner of my eye, I see two vampires walking over to me - their bright red eyes glowing in the moonlight. I quicken my pace. Why did I even agree to meeting Jung Daehyun? Oh, right. I need to keep my job. But why didn't I bring anyone with me? Ah, it's because if I bring Jongup, I will be responsible for him if something happens, and I don't want that. My biggest question, however, is why are these vampires coming up to me?

  “What is a small, little human doing here at a time like this? Shouldn't you be home by now?” the first vampire asks and stands in front of me. Not only are his eyes glowing, but his blue hair, too. “You think since the Sun is coming up soon, you're safe? Not every vampire fears the Sun so easily.”

  I try to get around him. “You do know calling me a small, little human is redundant,” I indicate. Why is everything happening to me today? I want to go home.

  “We have a cocky human don't we,” the other, green haired one says. He flashes his fangs and reaches out to me.

  I back away. “It's against the rules to attack me,” I state. “Our people from the outside can easily track you on our cameras and find you. And if they find you, they can torture you or even kill you.”

  “You think we're afraid of those stupid humans? The only reason they won that war is because you stupid humans used cheap tactics to defeat us. If it weren't for those long days and short nights a thousand years ago, then the social order would've been flipped.” The blue head's red eyes glow intensely as his anger builds up. He grabs my throat and smells me. “Your scent is a lot different from the others. It's as if-”

  “It also seems like our pheromones don't work on him.” The green one indicates.

  His partner glares at him, “Do not interrupt me when I'm speaking.”

  “Sorry.”

  Again, he sniffs me. “Yes, you are no normal human.” He grins widely. “Your blood will definitely be tasty.” He releases his grip on me and opens his mouth wide. His fangs grow and his pupils dilate.

  I try to get away from him, but his friend grabs my shoulders, preventing me from moving. Instead, I kick the blue head in the shins and elbow the other in the stomach. Both falter just enough time for me to escape. I run pass the blue head as I can hear them cursing at me. I look behind me without slowing my pace but did not see them in sight. Just then, I bump into someone hard.

  “You think you can get away, human? Don't think you're coming out of here unscathed after what you did.” Once again, he grabs at my throat and lifts me up. The red glow on his eyes intensifies and his grip tightens with his nails digging into my skin.

  I can hear the other laughing hysterically as I claw at his hand. I try to scream out, but my lungs burn as I fight for air. My vision begins to blur, but a familiar face flashes before my eyes. Tears well up and my emotions go flying. I shut my eyes. What did I do to deserve this? Why now?

  Suddenly, I find myself crashing on the ground and air filling up my lungs. I cough a few times as I catch my breath. Then everything comes into view. There, I find Jung Daehyun standing in front of me and holding the blue head’s arm, blood dripping where it was severed.

  He cries out in agony and holds his wound to stop the bleeding, but the blood seeps through his fingers. “Jung Daehyun! I'm going to kill you for that!” His nails grow, sharpening to a point. He advances toward him and lashes out.

  In one swift movement, Daehyun grabs his arm and releases his pheromones in a huge burst. “How dare you try to attack me.”

  The green headed vampire cowers.

  Daehyun’s eyes glow red. “I can rip your other arm off if I wanted to.” He digs his nails into the vampire's flesh and begins pulling upward.

  The air feels heavy and I can't seem to get up. This Daehyun standing before me is a lot different from a few minutes ago. This one is more monstrous.

  The blue head bites his bottom lip and winces in pain. Before he can do anything,  Daehyun releases him and his pheromones subside. “I better not see your face ever again or else your arm isn't the only thing you're losing.”

  He backs away while clutching his bleeding arm. He stumbles a bit before turning around and making a run for it with his friend, yelling, “Next time I see you, Jung Daehyun, I will kill you and that petty human.” They turn a corner and disappear.

  Daehyun faces me with a smile. He offers his bloody gloved hand. “I'm glad I could make it on time.”

  I stare at his hand and feel my stomach churn. He tore a man's arm off in an instant, and he's thinking of offering that hand to me! I refuse his help and get up myself. “My hero," I mutter sarcastically.

  "So about the offer, I really hope you're considering it." He pulls out a handkerchief with an emblem of a rose sewn in and wipes his bloodied hand.

  I stare at his hand and the stained handkerchief. An image of a pool of blood flashes before my eyes. I shake the image off and focus on Daehyun. "I'm grateful that you saved me, but I'm not changing my mind. I'm not going to be your Doll." I spin around and start walking. "I'm going home." There's no way am I going to accept that Jung Daehyun helped me out there. Yes, I could have died, but out of all people, it had to be him!

 “You really are stubborn aren't, you?” I hear him from behind, but he doesn't seem to pursue me.

 I simply wave a hand at him. “Well, I am still not going to accept your offer no matter what you do.”

 “Then I'm going to make sure you won't refuse.”

 I really want to yell at him, but the Sun will soon rise, and I just want to sleep. Because of this place, my sleeping schedule is so off. “Whatever,” I manage to say and walk home without another incident.