The Differences

The Balance of Fire and Water

Okay so... everyone is in their uniforms since thats what they voted so... I decided to make it seem like the oc only realises aferwards... the huge paragraphs later on are literaly what they wore in the mv so you can skip it if you want. but there is more afterwards so dont miss out :) I have an important poll at the bottom, make sure you vote in that.


“She must be precious if you can remember her from memory.”

I look behind me to see a tall girl leaning against the tree that I was resting on. With brown hair that was slightly long and wavy she looked down at my sitting form. I didn’t do much except say “Yeah, but I took her away.” I didn’t mind the fact that the girl was watching me; she didn’t exactly now who I was so telling her anything wouldn’t affect me badly. The girl nodded and I gestured with my hand for her to sit opposite me and she took the invitation silently. That was when I noticed the small bottle of chocolate milk in her hand with a straw in it. She started to drink from it and I looked to the side to watch the trees slightly shake from the wind. I took small glances at her when she looked to the tree as well so that she wouldn’t notice. Though she was pretty tall, she actually looked pretty young, but her facial expressions made her mature. She had the straight face, just like me, it was like she was a copy of me but younger.

“What’s your name?” I decided to break the silence and stopped looking at the trees to directly look at her, and she did too. “Tzuyu. Yours?” “___.” I held out my hand for her to shake and when we did, I noticed the firm grip she had but didn’t question it. “What’s your power?” I would’ve thought that she still would’ve asked about the drawing but Tzuyu was very calm and reserved. “Basically fire and water, but the extreme version. And yours?” This time I asked what was hers and she quickly took a sip of her drink and said “Just super strength. What’s your age?” When we exchanged ages, I soon realised that she was younger than me, so what I thought before was correct.

“So what did you mean you took her away? As in passed away?” “No, she suffers a fate worse than death. But it’s my fault.” She kept a calm expression and asked “Why?” “People say it wasn’t because of me, that it started a long time ago, but I caused an accident that changed not just her but me for the worse. It’s ironic because we’ve been put in a better… situation now.”

She just nodded and kept sipping her milk. Soon enough she finished the bottle and I saw her trying to aim somewhere behind her. And 5 seconds later, she gave a huge throw, and when I mean huge, I mean huge because the bottle is plastic, no way it can be thrown that far. I watched Tzuyu she just kept eyeing the bottle that was mid-air, and when I looked to the bottle, I watched it land in a bin that was probably 200 metres away. To say I was impressed was 1% of what I was feeling, my mouth parted at the success of her throw and Tzuyu just nodded and turned back to me. I quickly gained my composure so that she wouldn’t notice me shocked at the throw since she did tell me her power. Well, she did get it in the bin, at least that was a reason to be amazed.

“So who is she? The lady you say you ruined?” “My mother.” I didn’t know if she did anything since I went back to looking at the trees from before. I was moving my arm but I felt something ‘sharp’ hit my arm, and when I checked, I noticed it to be 2 scrap pieces of metal that were about the size of half an A4 page, each. I was confused as to why pieces of metal that aren’t dented much, they just look cut, and were thrown away so recklessly but an idea sprung quickly in my head. I grab the one of the pieces of metal and turn to Tzuyu and hand them to her.

“Are you able to roll this?” She just nodded, I swear Tzuyu just nods, she’s very quiet and reserved but I’m glad when she easily does what I ask though. She passes the little pipe of metal to me and I handed the other piece of metal and said “Can you rip this into 4 as well?” She took the pieces and easily does it as well but she asks as I inspect the pipe.

“What are you doing unnie?” I froze when I heard her call me unnie. Nothing is wrong with calling me unnie, it’s just that no one has ever called me that, or noona, or sunbae, everyone was usually taking care of me. “U-Um, you don’t have to call me unnie, I mean you can call me unnie but you can call me by my first name if you want.”

I took one of the pieces of metal she ripped and started to heat it up till it was malleable with my fingers. I then attached it to one end of the tube and cooled it down with water. While it was cooling down, I started to roll my drawing of mom and placed it into the tube through the other hole. I took one of the other ripped pieces of metal and made sure that it wasn’t touching the paper when I attached it to the hole. I had practically made a safe storage for my drawing that no one ese woud be able to open.

 I wanted to put it into the ground but at the rate I was going with digging, it would take me all day.

“Let me ___.”

I gave her the little tube and she started to twist it into the ground in between us with enough force that it only took her 1 second for it to be placed fully underground. I gathered the dirt that I struggled to dig and started to place it on the top of the submerged tube, placed water on it and then heat it up so that it turned into hardened clay. I was content with what I achieved but Tzuyu was probably confused.

“Unnie, why did you just put your drawing under the ground?” “For a memory.” She furrowed her eyebrows and tilted her head; she kind of looked like lost puppy. “I don’t get it.” “I placed my drawing of my mom being happy in the ground because I want my mom being happy to be a reality once more. I put it here since I hope that I’ll be able to make her smile one day at this park.”

We sat silent for a while, just looking at where the drawing was just buried, but I noticed something very weird about Tzuyu. She’s pretty cold to be around, that doesn’t make much sense does it? Everyone is balanced, and they feel warm so it’s literally heaven to me. Anger, jealousy or something passionate like love is hot but we’ll talk about that sometime later… It’s very easy to hold something in if it’s the water side and difficult when it’s the fire side. That’s why people crack when angry, or can hide sadness so well.

Sana was crying when I found her, yes that is true, but that was her form of venting anger, she wasn’t actually sad. I definitely would be angry and upset in her little scenario so it made sense that she was burning to be around at the time. But Tzuyu is very much the opposite. She’s actually as cold as my mother when I’m around her. That means she’s either lifeless, physically and/or emotionally worn out, or she suffers from things like depression or anxiety. Usually someone starts off warm, and something triggers them to be cold, like me, but I’m always changing, that’s why I’m a balance. But I’m also very sensitive with it because I try and hold everything in, but when I crack, its legitimate hell.

Literally last year.

Tzuyu has no balance though, she just stays cold.

 ‘Should I ask?’ That was the only thing running through my head. With Sana, there was no point in asking, it was too obvious, but Tzuyu can just deny everything and look at someone in the eye and they’ll stop. I guess it’s obvious that I can’t say anything now, plus only just met the girl.

4 hours later~

Tzuyu and I ended up talking about small things. Like how she moved from Taiwan and how I moved from a dodgy neighbourhood to here, so I was very unfamiliar in how to act when it came to others who had powers. When I came back home, mom was making dinner, and though the food was hot enough to burn my tongue, her cold presence wasn’t mistaken. I'm sort of used to it by now; I’ve been living with her like that my whole life, except for those rare times before the incident. Before, I used to think it was her powers that gave off those feelings, but I realised afterwards that she got much colder afterwards.

I finished dinner and usually one might watch TV, go on their phone or just sleep afterwards, but I have to make sure that mom has eaten, taken her meds and then fell asleep nicely. When I did go to bed, it was 11:00 and I laid in my bed while processing the whole day and who I met.

I met 3 Japanese girls

Momo: An innocent speedster

Mina: An ‘impacting’ hypnotist that randomly turns shy

Sana: A clumsy yet cheerful girl who can turn invisible

I met the school president

Jihyo: A literal x-ray that can see my secrets, but doesn’t understand them

and

Tzuyu: A strong and tall girl who shows is cold to be around

‘Ding.’

I heard the text tone of my phone and rolled over so that I could reach it from the bedside table. When I turned my phone on, I instantly closed my eyes due to the brightness, but frowned when I read the message.

 

Unknown Number:

Just 2 weeks ___, I hope you missed me xoxo

 

‘Who is this?’

That was all that spurred through my mind when I saw the message. When I unlocked my phone, I tried to call the person, but they somehow managed to remove the number. So basically I was texting someone who had hidden their number. Judging from the part ‘xoxo’ it was most likely a girl. Only girls are the types to send those in text or on paper, and anyways, there aren’t any decent boys to talk to nowadays. Who was there to miss though? I had only been to the school for a day, and I had only given my number to Sana since she was the only one that asked.

The ‘I hope you missed me’ part made me realise that it can’t be anyone from school IF Sana did give it to anyone. It’s only been, what, 5 hours since I last saw anyone from school, besides Tzuyu. It was getting on my nerves, so I had trouble sleeping but I managed to at 1 in the morning.

 

The next day ~

I didn’t wake up peacefully for once after a whole year. My body clock always wakes me up at 6:00, but that’s because it was a normal routine that I’ve had since I was young.

‘Off the streets quick or you’ll be gone in a click.’

That was what a guy said after he tackled you to the ground to avoid the gunfire. He looked as if he was 18, an innocent age but the scar that ran from his cheekbone to his jawline said otherwise. He was pretty nice to me though; he hid me in his car and then continued his shooting, letting me out afterwards and saying to stay safe. How ironic. You were only going for a walk to the shops in the morning, but gang wars seemed to run almost every week. That seems highly unlikely since gang wars only happen on extremely desperate situations, but with the amount of small and big gangs in the area and with corrupt police running the place, staying in home was for the best.

Anyways…

So I wore my uniform, a white long sleeve shirt that hugged my body just right. The button were done all the way up to the collar, which was stiff since it was new. I wore a red tie with the outfit since I didn’t want to seem boring. I had a dark blue skirt which stopped about high way down my thighs. My shirt was tucked into my skirt, and my tie stopped a few inches over my skirt. Everything was kept simple since I didn’t want to go over the top. My socks were white, but had three stripes at the top in the order or blue, red, blue.

I liked my uniform, it was cool how each student had a different design for the uniform, but I guess that’s what happens when the tailor at the school is gifted with the power of good hand skills. She managed to make my outfit in an hour. AN HOUR. She lets everyone have a say in uniform, as long as it was appropriate and it had the theme of a dark blue, red and/or white, they were the school colours. Only one thing was stern, white shoes that the school supplied, which were plain white Velcro shoes that had 3 straps.

Of course, it had to be appropriate as well since its for schools. But I still couldn’t understand how they allowed Jihyo to have a uniform that revealed her stomach slightly. Actually, everybody had quite strange designs, which were sometimes somewhat revealing.

Momo wore a dark blue shirt, well it was more of a crop top actually that was long sleeve, but it was shoulderless, she had one white strap on her right shoulder and a red strap on her left. It was tight on her chest, and then loosened up downwards. She had a collar/choker/bow that was striped blue and white, with a diamond in the middle. It could be fake, but you never know when you're surrounded by people with powers. But that wasn’t what made it revealing. It was the dark blue shorts that probably went about 3 to 4 inches down her legs, extremely short. Her legs were fully exposed, and her feet had white socks with 2 striped red lines.

Mina wore something slightly similar yet not. She had a white blouse, but unlike mine that was tight, it was loose/frilly. It was like those pirate shirts that were puffy on the sleeve but had cuffs that were tight, but not extremely tight. She had a normal collar, like mine did it looked flat since she doesn’t do the top few buttons and lets it loose. The bottom of her shirt kind of looked elegant. It was long and again frilly-ish so that it waved around loose, and it was quite long as well which covered her almost non-existent shorts. Again, like Momo’s, her shorts were short as hell, but the bottom had striped which layered in white, red, white. Her legs were exposed as well, and her socks were like her shirts, except the top had the pattern. On top of her loose shirt there was a blue jumper that stopped at the top of where her stomach might be, and it didn’t cover her shoulders, hand it went a little short of her elbows.

Sana almost tricked my eyes with the revealing stuff. I thought that her dress was revealing a the top, but it was just that it was designed like that. It may look like her skin at first, with just a random strip of white for her buttons and a white collar, but it was all one piece. Unlike Mina, her buttons were all done like mine so it looked formal. Her little illusion was all part of a short sleeve blue dress that was tight from the top to her waist, and then turned frilly and loose like a school girl skirt. Her dress wasn’t plain though, they had 10 buttons on them, 5 running from top to bottom on each side. Her dress stopped at an average height, which was about highway down the thigh. Her socks were white and had 2 red stripes, but the stripe of white was thicker than the red.

Well, now Jihyo, she had an outfit that was hard to explain. Her top was definitely similar to a crop top, but it was all tight. It looked like the top part of overalls, where she was wearing a short sleeve white t-shirt underneath with blue lining on the sleeves, and the part on top was a blue top that revealed the white shirt with straps buttoned on, and it revealed part of her stomach. Her skirt was pretty smart if I must say. It was a normal skirt, blue at the front, red at the back and a white strip in the middle. The changes in the colours are all slanted though, not straight down so it looked cool. She wore blue socks that went a bit higher than her knees unlike the others. It was weird though, she wasn’t as revealing as the other 3, but her stomach was showing so… but she looked as if she was the CEO of some company.

And last is Tzuyu. This girl looked innocent as hell when I saw her in the park, with her cute uniform and all. Her skirt was similar to mine, no folds, similar to a pencil skirt but not quite. Her top was similar to Jihyo’s with the overall concept except hers wasn’t like a crop top. Hers was tight as well, but it stopped a little lower than her hip. On each side of her waist, she had a small piece of red fabric which mimicked a pocket, and it looked nice. Her shirt wasn’t short sleeve like Jihyo’s, she had long sleeves with an extra blue triangle flap on her cuffs, it was funny how every time she moved they would go left to right. Her buttons were done all the way up like Sana’s and she had a choker/collar/bow design under her collar as well, similar to Momo’s. Hers was much longer so it hung down to where her dress collar stopped. It was blue and white striped as well but the connector was a metal ring. Tzuyu had long socks as well which stopped lower than her knees, and at the top had the strip design of blue, white, blue, white.

All these different designs showed who they were, that was another thing I liked about these uniforms...