Make-up and Marketing Skills

Eunwoo's VLive

*Bolded words are in English//

 

          

The camera swerved to show the wooden door of a floor to ceiling cupboard immediately to the right of the main door. The screen shook as Eunwoo reached forward to tug on the door handle, pulling it open to reveal rows upon rows of shoes stacked neatly for some and looking like WW3 broke out for others.

 

“The thing about having 10 members is that we have so many clothes and shoes! This cabinet is just enough for us to fit all our shoes in after we donated some before moving into the new dorm. Nayoung unnie allocated a shelf each according to age starting from the top. In all honesty the main reason is probably because the unnies are the only ones tall enough to reach the top shelves without needing a stool. Let me show you some of our shoes.”

 

Eunwoo whispered and held the phone as high up as it could go above her head, barely being able to shoot a glimpse of Nayoung’s shelf all the way at the top before scanning down quickly. She stifled a laugh as she reached the lower shelves.

 

“You can tell a bit of our different personalities, no? I think the messiest shelves belong to maybe Yebin or Ddiddi. Siyeon might be the resident princess but she doesn’t clean up after herself at all. Minkyung unnie is always cleaning up after her. Anyways enough about shoe let’s go find some members!”

 

The camera turned to show Eunwoo giving herself a thumbs up before flipping the camera back to reveal the walkway at the front door and an open kitchen immediately to the left. A light clank was heard before the back of someone with distinctively blue-dipped black hair could be seen taking a pan out of the cabinets.

 

“Kyla!”

“Hey unnie”

 

Crockery still in hand, Kyla turned around. She glanced at the phone facing her for a moment before looking at Eunwoo with a small smile and a friendly wave.

 

“Yeah, unnie?”

“You’re making breakfast?”

“Yeah, Siyeon unnie woke up hungry but was too lazy to make breakfast so I’m making an American-styled one for her. And what’s with the filming?”

 

She replied with a curious face, voice still husky.

 

“Ah, don’t worry about the camera. Say, want me to do your make-up for you?”

“Make-up?”

“Yeah.”

“Didn’t you already do it once? And then manager unnie told me to remove it immediately. Remember?”

“Eh, that was once and I’ve improved a lot! Wanna try?”

“Uh, no. Thanks unnie.”

 

The maknae flashed a supposedly apologetic grimace and turned quickly away to take stuff out of the fridge while Eunwoo grumbled softly behind the phone.

 

“I swear I’ll do better this time. And our fans are the ones who wanted to see my make-up skills right? Don’t worry I’ll find someone to show it!”

 

At that ripe moment, a mop of tousled black hair appeared in the hallway ploughing towards Eunwoo’s direction.

 

“Oh, oh, look we found someone! Ddiddi-ah I’ll do your make-up for you!”

 

Eunwoo sang, waving a hand excitedly in front of the blackhead’s face still covered by a curtain of messy hair. Siyeon paused in her tracks, blocked by the energetic beagle. She side-stepped to the left, so did Eunwoo. She side-stepped to the right, so did Eunwoo. She side-stepped to the left again but Eunwoo continued to follow. The second maknae abruptly stopped their tango to run a hand through her hair and shoot a glare.

 

“Unnie, I’m going to wash up.”

“Oh, okay.”

 

Siyeon waited for Eunwoo to step aside so she could go to the toilet but the oblivious girl continued to stay where she was, blocking the entire walkway.

 

“You’re in the way.”

“Let me put make-up for you and I’ll move aside.”

“Then unnie can you get the he-”

 

She stopped to glance at the camera pointing at her, noticing it for the first time.

 

“… …can you kindly move out of the way?”

 

She smiled sweetly at the person holding the phone, eyes curving to form a familiar eye smile. Behind the angelic smile Eunwoo alone could make out seething red eyes and a barely-concealed threat clear as day.

 

Fancy asphyxiation for breakfast?

 

Red lights flashed and sirens rang out in Eunwoo’s head as she mentally died a little from the fear. An ever so soft audible gulp was heard before the camera retreated hastily into the kitchen to make way.

 

“Oh-oh-oh-oh sure, don’t wanna b-b-b-bother you, ha…ha…”

 

Without sparing her another glance Siyeon marched off the screen. A loud slam was soon heard. Eunwoo flipped the camera again to show her shaking eyeballs as she plopped down in a chair.

 

“She isn’t usually this grumpy. She didn’t sleep well last night because she didn’t have her soft toys with her.”

 

Kyla spoke up from behind her.

 

“Why are you defending her! What about your favourite unnie’s feelings??”

“I don’t have a favourite unnie.”

“Sure you do! She’s sitting right in front of you isn’t she?”

“…”

“Her initials are ‘JE’, right?”

“…”

“Right??”

“Yeah, you’re right.”

“I am??”
 

Eunwoo whipped around to stare at the back of Kyla’s white pyjamas hopefully.

 

“You are. Her name is Just Everyone but Eunwoo unnie’.”

“I heard ‘Eunwoo’! YEaHhhhhhhhhh!”

“… Never mind.”

“Ehh anyways what happened with not-your-favourite unnie Ddiddi?”

“Minkyung unnie was nagging her to clear some of her toys again so she got sulky and camped in Kyungwon unnie’s bed before falling asleep where she was.”

“Again? So I assume Kyungwon unnie slept in Minkyung unnie’s bed?”

“Yeah.”

“So Minkyung unnie had to squeeze in with her?”

“Yeah.”

“And then Kyungwon unnie complained about the lack of space?”

“Yeah.”

“And then Minkyung unnie got exasperated and their bickering woke you up?”

“Yeah.”

“And you want me to put on your make-up?”

“Ye- Uh, no?”

“Darn it.”

 

Kyla stopped her frying of bacon to look up and stare at her unnie with a barely disguised deadpan look.

 

“Fine, fine, I’ll just go find someone else. Don’t miss your favourite unnie while I’m gone!”

 

Eunwoo missed Kyla’s dumbfounded look as she got up from her seat and ambled into the living room where random blankets were lying on, across, behind and under the couch.

 

“Oops, we didn’t clear up after our movie night last night. We watched Wonder Women! It was great! Oh, we found someone!”

 

The camera zoomed on a corner of the messy living room where the silhouette of a small back hunched over an even messier desk could be seen. There were balls of scrunched up paper, an bookshop of pens, pencils, highlighters, eraser rubbings and a half-empty mug of coffee strewn haphazardly over the table-top. Indistinctive mutters and grunts were heard as Eunwoo creeped up to tap a shoulder.

 

“Seungyeon-ah, do you wanna- Ack!”

 

Upon her sudden tap Seungyeon figuratively and literally jumped in her seat in fright. She yelped and turned around with frenzied eyes, a pencil pointing accusingly at Eunwoo’s chest.

 

“Unnie! You interrupted my train of thoughts!”

“Sorry Seungyeon-ah, what happened to your eyes?”

“I stayed up to write down the ideas I had during the movie and I was just going to finish it… until you scared me unnie!”

“Oops, sorry, he he.”

 

Seungyeon gave another scowl before ruffling her already messy hair and turning abruptly back to her notebook, murmuring a mix of Korean and English again. Eunwoo stepped away from her sulky groupmate.

 

“Seungyeon is usually a ball of fluff, much like her best friend Yewon, but she gets really annoyed if you disturb her while she’s working. Like, really annoyed. Don’t worry guys, she’ll be fine once she manages to write all her ideas down and down from her caffeine high.

“Speaking about Yewon, she left the house earlier to go for a short test in school. Man, if she were here she’d agree to help me in a heartbeat! Even our kind Jieqiong is still away in her hometown so I can’t make her my test rat. She’s enjoying herself feasting on entrails though. Aigoo, where are the nice youngsters when you need them??”

 

Eunwoo paused to dramatically wipe away at her non-existent tears with a corner of the curtains.

 

“It’s okay though, I still have Yebin and the unnies to tackle. Nunu fighting!”

 

She gave herself an encouraging thumbs up and turned down a corridor with closed doors along the length of it. She gestured with a hand as she strode along.

 

“These are our bedrooms. Let’s hope we don’t run into another more angry composers or writers again, hmm? I’m pretty sure I remember seeing Yebin going into Jieqiong and Seungyeon’s room to use the computer last night. It’s the only one we have in the dorm, you know? I hope she isn’t still on the computer.”

 

She reached the last door in the corridor and pushed it gently to reveal a small room with two beds, desks, cupboards, a computer, a Yebin, and a fairly copious mountain of pink adorning it.

 

“Jieqiong really lives up to her nickname ‘Pinky’, huh? She wasn’t kidding when she said it’s her favourite colour. She was going to dye her hair hot pink but Ddiddi beat her to it. Also, our dear Yebin is still at her games. Tsk, tsk. Fun fact, it’s practically impossible to pull her away once she gets engrossed with whatever game she’s in. The only people who can pull her away are Nayoung unnie and Ddiddi. Look, she doesn’t even know we’re here. No worries, let’s call her.”

 

Obviously not having learnt her lesson from the episode with Seungyeon no more than 5 minutes ago, Eunwoo sneaked up to Yebin before yanking her headphones off unceremoniously

 

“Yebin! Want to help me-”

“What the actual f-”

“No, no! No swearing!”

“Jung Eunwoo! You little piece of s-”

“I’m filming! And don’t speak English! I’ve heard enough of foreign languages from Jieqiong!”

 

A flustered Eunwoo reached out to slap a hand over an indignant Yebin, manually censoring out her barrage of colourful English words. Yebin spotted the camera, proceeding to swat Eunwoo’s hand away.

 

“Sorry guys! I get excited when I’m gaming. And I especially get annoyed when a certain someone decides to just pull my headphones off.”

 

She glanced up from the phone to stare at a not-so-innocent Eunwoo.

 

“I’m just trying to get your attention!”

“For?”

“You want me to put on make-up for you? Completely free-of-charge!”

“… Nunu, even if you paid me I still wouldn’t take it up. Thanks for the offer though.”

“Why not? My make-up skills are good!”

“Erm, I prefer to do my own make-up?”

“You don’t even like doing make-up!”

“Eh, let’s just put it that way and let me do back to my gaming. Bye guys.”

 

Yebin ignored Eunwoo’s attempt at selling her make-up services again to wave at the camera in the latter’s hands. She flashed a winning smile before pulling her headphones back into place, a look of concentration taking over. Eunwoo stood there, flabbergasted at being turned away for the third time this morning.

 

“I… well… you know, they say third time’s the charm. I really should know better after all those Mnet shows. I’ll have to try my skills on someone else again then. Thank god I don’t have to try another Mnet show to debut!”

 

She closed the door behind her and headed towards another one on her immediate right.

 

“This is Kyungwon unnie, Minkyung unnie, Illa and Ddiddi’s room. Let’s hope to catch at least one of them here, yeah?”

 

She rapped lightly on the door before opening it. The wide room was graced with big windows allowing sunlight to stream directly in and over the four beds. While most of the beds looked relatively neat, there was a particular one that was literally filled to the brim with all sorts of soft toys, even with random pieces of clothing tossed into the mix.

 

“This room is kind of funny because you have the two unnies trying to keep it clean and tidy, Park Siyeon who doesn’t care and sheds her skin all over the room, and our dear Illa trying to maintain a grip on her sanity. Minkyung unnie almost cried when we drew lots for the new roommates in this dorm and she found out she was stuck with Siyeon again. Hah, you should’ve seen her look of pure despair!”

 

Eunwoo paused to cackle animatedly at the thought of Minkyung’s desperation.

 

“Ah, we were almost going to re-shuffle because of her pleading but Siyeon clung like old hardened gum to her and we didn’t bother to separate them. Honestly I think it has something to do with Jieqiong and Seungyeon not wanting to be roommates with her after seeing her face for 7 straight years. Yewon, that angel, bless her soul, offered to switch with Minkyung unnie but Nayoung unnie, Yebin and I refused to let her go.

“Eh, anyway where are the unnies? They’re probably in my room venting about us haha. Let’s go find them!”

 

She skipped out of the empty room and turned to the last unopened one. Without wasting a beat, she opened the door with a flourish.

 

“I think pink unicorns are real- is the door open? What are you doing?”

“Hi unnies- no, what are you doing??”

 

Eunwoo cut Minkyung’s question to stare at Nayoung and Minkyung for a good 5 seconds of shocked silence. The latter two had white masks covering their faces while they laid down on Nayoung’s bed facing the ceiling. Minkyung had slices of cucumbers covering her eyes, bangs up in pink curler to reveal her seen-once-in-an-eternity forehead extremely unfortunately covered by a mask.

 

“Eunwoo? I thought you went out?”

 

Nayoung propped herself up on an elbow to look at Eunwoo in confusion while Minkyung continued to lie down in blissful ignorance. She took two seconds to blink and study the camera pointed at them, staring at it expressionlessly.

 

“Are you recording?”

“Huh? Who’s recording?”

 

Minkyung gingerly pulled away a piece of cucumber to squint at Eunwoo and her still running camera. Her one revealed eye widened a bit in surprise before looking up at Eunwoo and laughing nervously.

 

“Erm, you’re not recording right?”

“Of course I am. On VLive too. Say hi to the viewers!”

 

Her perfect features comically morphed into a mask of confusion before jumping rapidly to horror, anger, and then extreme embarrassment as she realised that her not-so-presentable appearance was currently being showed live.

 

“I… I… get out!”

“But this is my room!”

“Doesn’t matter! Get out! Now! Don’t film me!”

“But- but-!”

 

Eunwoo’s weak protests were over-powered by a very embarrassed Kim Minkyung shoving her promptly out of the room. The former’s squawks of indignation were ignored by the red-faced, blabbering other girl who hastily slammed the door in her face just as Nayoung called out above the racket.

 

“Don’t do anything too dumb Eunwoo-yah.”

“…”

 

There was simply darkness for a few moments on the screen as our dear Eunwoo took a short snippet of time to contemplate about life. She simply couldn’t believe that with 10 members and her fantastic marketing skills not a single person is willing to help her! Not a single one!

Just then, a low, drawling voice broke the silence.

 

“Nunu? What are you doing with a camera filming nothing?”

 

The camera was taken by another hand, casting aside the darkness of the corridor to reveal a casually grinning blonde ruffling Eunwoo’s hair fondly.

 

“Oh, Kyungwon unnie… Nothing much, I was just on VLive.”

“Yeah I saw the notification on my phone while I was walking back with Yewon. I only managed to catch a glimpse of wild Pokémon Seungyeon though. Did you manage to get someone?”

“No, everyone’s busy.”

 

Eunwoo muttered uncharacteristically softly, an adorable kicked-puppy look unconsciously forming on her face. Kyungwon’s easy grin visibly softened when she heard Eunwoo’s dejected reply. She wiggled her eyebrows at the camera and waited for the younger girl to ask her too. She didn’t, remaining pouting while looking at the ground.

 

“Aren’t you going to ask your favourite unnie?”

“Ask you?”

“Yeah, I did come back quickly just for you, you know?”

“Oh? Erm, do you wanna help me be my make-up model?”

“Sure, why not?”

“Huh?”

 

Eunwoo’s head snapped up, a look of disbelief on her face.

 

“Really?”

“Well, I can’t just let you use pretty face completely free-of-charge though. How about you and I go out fishing together later, hmm?”

“Sure! I love you unnie!”

 

A huge smile broke across her face again as Eunwoo’s face as she jumped up to wrap her arms around Kyungwon’s neck to engulf her in a tight hug. Kyungwon let out an ‘oof!’ before hugging her back easily and then winking at the camera.

 

“Shall we begin?”

“Of course! I’ll go grab my stuff! Wait up, I’ll be back in a jiffy!”

 

Eunwoo waved energetically at the camera before running off to prepare her make-up equipment, the excited glint back in her eyes. Kyungwon held the camera at an arm’s length while smiling at the screen.

 

“I’m glad I came back early. I just hope things will turn out well. That is, as well as our Eunwoo’s skills allow anyways. While we’re waiting I’ll show a bit more of the dorm. I’m sure I smelled food while coming in just now…”

 

 

Hi yo! I’m supposed to be updating Pledis Girls (are) High but I got inspired to write a one-shot instead showing some of their friendships! I couldn’t include everyone equally in it but I did mention all the members. This is the longest piece that I’ve done in one sitting but I didn’t actually go on to the make-up part (oops)

 

Thank you for reading! Please wait for other updates because I’ll be totally enslaved in school (See: Hell) for the next 5 months..

 

This could be continued in a sense but I think it could be a stand-alone too? Reaally appreciate anything- feedback, comments, constructive criticism, free cookies, a comeback, Minkyung etc., till next time, cheers!