Oh! The Places You'll Go

The Peach Blossom That Found Paradise
B96xcO8.png
Oh! The Places You'll Go
❝"My day and night are all you. The place I've been looking for is you. When I open my eyes again, you only come into me." - 도원경 (桃源境)❞
“Excited to be going home soon?” Sanghyuk piped up at dinner one evening, ignoring the glares thrown his way by his older brothers.

Having not seen the previous exchange, you quickly swallowed the bit of sweet dessert you had in your mouth before replying.

“Of course! I have not seen my family in so long.” you cheerfully replied, a grin on your face as you looked at Taekwoon; his smile however, was not as dazzling as it usually was. You assumed he was simply tired. “I was even thinking of coming to visit again!” you excitedly shared. The thought had been circulating in your mind for the past few days. You could not ever imagine not coming back to the place and people that had given you so much.

This time, you do note the crest fallen expression on all six of the princes faces and you began to feel uneasy. You caught Jaehwan’s gaze as he reached for the canister of rice wine. You patiently waited as he refilled the table’s glasses.

“If you leave, you will never be able to return nor speak about where you have been.” Jaehwan simply replied, his voice thick as he immediately reached for his recently filled glass.

You head spun as though you had been the one drinking. You thought it was a simple jest or that you heard incorrectly but a look at the occupants at your table proved otherwise.

“Taekwoon…” your voice refused to say anymore as a lump formed; a question you dared not ask implied.

The second prince reached across the table to envelop your trembling hand in his own. His eyes never left you.

“I cannot give you the answers you wish.” his quiet voice seemed as though a fragile breeze would sweep it away. “Father only told us that if we were to ever leave, we would never be able to find this place again. If you…if you decide to leave, we will never meet again.” Taekwoon explained bluntly, giving voice to the dark thoughts that entered your mind.

“I see.” you answered though you were not exactly sure what it was that you saw.


The walk home with your beloved after dinner was a time you always looked forward to. Being under the night sky with the numerous stars that glittered like jewels in the sky and smelling the sweet scent of spring only made you fall deeper in love with the mysterious and quiet second prince. That night however; you felt nothing but dread. That very soon, you would be awoken from the loveliest dream you ever had and when you did, all you had to look forward to was a dull existence and an arranged marriage you could no longer find it within yourself to go through with.

“We…I never meant to keep it from you.” Taekwoon began as he paused outside the entrance to your home. Unlike earlier, his gaze searched for yours urgently. “When you arrived, your condition was severe. We only wished for you to heal before you left. You and I were never meant to fall in love…but we did.” he softly but fiercely declared. As much as you wished to find at least an ounce of doubt in words, you did not.

“Unsure as I am…I am thankful it turned out the way it has.” for the umpteenth time that evening you reached for his hand as if to draw strength from it. “If not for you…I never would have known what love was. It would have eluded me as nothing more than an abstract idea. For that, I thank you in spite of whatever is to come.” you added with a glistening smile.

“As am I.” he replied. You got the feeling that there was far more he wished to say on the matter but he was not yet ready. Instead, he placed a gentle kiss on both of your hands that he currently held in his grasp before leaning in to place one on your forehead. “Try and get as much rest as you can – even if you do not feel like it.” the second prince advised sweetly before departing.


That night, sleep eluded you as love once had. The silver rays of moonlight fell onto the sheets of your bed as you tossed and turned. Eventually your lack of exhaustion began to annoy you almost as much as the predicament you currently found yourself in. You sat up, your hands continually running through your now messy hair. Perhaps it would be better to leave now you wondered. The mere idea of even saying goodbye to Taekwoon caused your eyes to tear and your heart to sink like a stone at the bottom of a lake. In a way, you had already said goodbye. You thanked him for his love…that would be enough surely?

With your mind foggy, you dressed yourself with slow and sluggish movements. There was not much you wished to take with you, having even more reminders of what you were to leave behind would only make it worse.

Thankful that it was the middle of the night, you were able to walk freely under the guise of night. Ironically, that evening was one of the most beautiful. The sky was clear, the moon was bright and the stars glittered almost blindingly. For old times’ sake, you decided to take the route through the apple orchid that became so special to you and the second prince. It was the first time you had been there on your own and the magic it always held seemed to vanish. You always thought it was a beautiful place with all of its unspoilt trees and flowers but it never occurred to you that what truly made it shine with an ethereal quality was Taekwoon.

“It is a most lovely evening.” a voice spoke tranquilly.

You paused and turned to find the king, his stance as regal as ever. You knew that he was aware of what you were about to do and you wondered if he was angered. When you looked upon his countenance however; you found nothing but paternal patience within his handsomely aged face.

“It is.” you agreed and you noted how weary you sounded.

“My son would be heartbroken if you left in this manner.” the king answered frankly. His words were not unkind but it still managed to cause a sharp sting in your chest.

“I do not know what to do.” and as sure as you were a few moments ago; it was true.

“Then stay.” the older man countered.

You shook your head. Either way, you figured, you were the one to lose out. “I cannot. I have a duty to my family. If things had been different…I would have stayed without a second of hesitation.” how terribly sad that sounded.

“I warned them that it would come to this.” the king said, half to you half to himself. “You have explained yourself and I can understand all too well how deep the bonds to family run. If it is what you deem right, I wish you well.” he wisely advised.

“Thank you my king.” you thanked sincerely and bowed deeply in thanks. Having someone else’s perspective put your buzzing mind slightly at ease.

When you departed, you felt assured by the bright smile the royal had left with.

You continued forth to the river, almost beaconed to it by the full moon reflected in its depths. Your eyes wandered about the landscape to find a man languidly pressed up against the bark of a tree seemingly preoccupied with his thoughts. In that moment you wished for the skills of an artist to perfectly capture the breath taking sight. Taekwoon had one arm outstretched on his knee seeming both relaxed and perfectly composed. His jeogori was a gold and black that shimmered with luxury; the matching jewels that hung from his ears even more so. His silky, inky black hair had grown in the months since you arrived and each strand moved with every gentle gust of wind. If you had been told upon arriving that Taekwoon was the ruler of the earthly paradise you would have qualms with believing it.

Though you missed him so in the hours you had last seen him, you felt something almost akin to heartbreak at interrupting the flawless scene before you. Even so, you quietly seated yourself beside him and waited patiently for his preciously dark eyes to fall on you.

“You are leaving.” he said; his musical voice almost whispering.

“I am leaving.” you parroted in confirmation, carefully laying your head on his shoulder finding the surface both firm from his body and unbelievably soft from the fabric of his clothes.

While he did not reply further, you found comfort in the arm that wrapped around your shoulder and the hand that placed itself over your own; the cool metal of his numerous rings sending a shiver up your spine. Neither of you spoke as you watched the moon’s reflection ripple in the sparkling water of the river; a cacophony of sounds filtering around you.

“You seem to do this often,” you commented a while later, “what do you think of?”

By the rustle of Taekwoon’s hair against the fabric of his clothes you recognized the signs of him giving a shake of his head. You wondered if he was smiling.

“Before, whatever entered my mind at the time,” he answered vaguely and you could hear that indeed he was smiling, “now all I think about is you. And in this moment, I am thinking about how next time I would like to do more of this with you. Simply taking in nature with you beside me.” he added thoughtfully after a moment and you could feel the familiar intensity of his eyes on you.

Your breath hitched at his wording. “There is no next time.” you replied, feeling infinitesimally small and your voice tight with emotion.

“You seemed convinced.” Taekwoon countered gently. “There was never supposed to be a first time, we cannot be certain of what the future holds.”

All you could do was nod. Of course he was right.

“Tell me…” he began and you found yourself worrying at how vulnerable he sounded, “will you go forth with your marriage?” he enquired and in the corner of your mind you felt the hand that held yours tighten.

“If I thought I could not before, I cannot fathom it now.” you responded with fondness, your chest blossoming with warmth despite the cool spring weather. “It would not be fair to either Taejin or myself if I were to marry him when I only have eyes for you.” you elaborated.

“I am pleased to hear that.” and you were certain only a deaf man would be able to miss the utter glee lacing his words. “But are you certain that life is worth giving up?” he asked and you knew he wished to know if you truly would stay uncommitted for the foreseeable future.

“I am certain.” you answered fiercely; the certainty in your words almost taking you aback. “Once, before I met you, I was content to do what needed to be done without regard for my own happiness. Now, that I know what it is like to be loved, cherished even, I would be doing myself a disservice if I were to carry on in the way I used to. I wish for my family to be happy and healthy but I will find another way to achieve that goal.”

Taekwoon calmly rested his head atop your own in the manner he had done countless times before in the apple orchid during the daylight hours. You drew comfort from the gentle and affectionate gesture.

You were thankful that he decided not to answer. In that moment you were perfectly content to simply be by his side.


Though you wished to extend your stay for as long as possible, you knew that stretching it out in this manner would only make saying “goodbye” that much more difficult. For the next few days, you spent your time getting your affairs in order, from ordering the clothes that you had been so graciously given to spending whatever spare time you had with the six princes. Before the situation felt remotely real to you, the week had ended and as such you requested for the dingy little fisherman’s boat you came in to be prepared for departure.


At the river, a sizeable crowd had gathered and you realized in amazement that it was all people you had come to know in such a short space of time. You thought about your boat, almost overflowing with your new belongings and knew that you could not stay any longer, no matter how much you wished to.

You turned to the five princes standing in order of their birth – the exception of Taekwoon standing next to his father the king at the end of the line.

Though you joked earlier that week that you would not like to receive any gifts for the fear of making your departure official, it seemed as though your advice was not heeded. Hakyeon had gifted you one of the very first novels you read together during your recovery, you remembered making a passing comment that it been a while since you had the chance to read something new. Jaehwan held out a superbly crafted drinking set which he had no qualms in exclaiming with a bright smile that he made it himself. Wonshik could only smile and you had the feeling that beside Taekwoon, your leaving would be hitting him hard. He gave you a scroll that had the lyrics to a very beautiful song you heard often since arriving. Somehow you were not too surprised to discover he was the one who wrote it. Hongbin’s present was a painting of the very landscape where you were now. The depiction was so accurate that you felt as though you would be transported at the very sight of it. Sanghyuk, much like his older brother, gifted you a novel…however; after skimming a few paged you realized it was guide for playing pranks.

By the time you reached your beloved and the king, you were fighting to keep your cheerful smile in place. Your eyes stung with tears you wished to shed.

“Your Majesty,” you began with a deep bow, “I would like to thank you for your hospitality and nursing me to health. There is nothing I can offer except my most sincere and heartfelt thanks.” you swallowed thickly, the lump only seeming to grow as the time passed.

“You are most welcome.” the king jovially responded, his serious demeanour from the night before all but vanished. “My sons and I enjoyed your company immensely.” he added with a paternal ruffle of your hair. When he spoke again, his voice was softer. “I know what you willing to give up and therefore, I want you to have this.” the king held out a small velvet bag that upon opening revealed it to be filled with precious gems of all sorts. It would be enough to not only remove your family from the conditions in which you lived but to keep you afloat for a while.

You were about to protest but the wise and benevolent king simply held up a hand that indicated he would hear nothing except a thank you – which is exactly what you did.

Taekwoon took your hands in his.

“I am sorry I could not stay.” you apologized staring at your connected hands that appeared to fit perfectly together.

“And I am sorry to see you leave.” he replied with a vague smile tugging at his lips. “Do not cry my love.” his thumb gently wiped under each of your eyes, collecting the droplets that collected there.

You apologized again. “I just thought that I will no longer be able to see you.” you explained, chuckling at your tears.

“Though it may be the case, let me give you this as a reminder of my love for you.”  Taekwoon removed the ring that he always wore on his smallest finger and slipped it onto your ring finger. The ring was gorgeous – much like everything about the second prince. It was gold with a large opal stone in the centre.

He smiled at you and through the joyous tears that now fell on your cheeks; you both shared a sweet and binding kiss that you would remember long after you could no longer see his face. Though you avoided acts of affection in public, it was the furthest thing from your mind as your lips lingered over his.

“I love you.” you said as though it were a reply to some unasked question.

“As I do you.” Taekwoon replied, holding out a bouquet of beautiful pink flowers. “Plant these in your garden. These are my birth flower, the hibiscus. It represents fragile beauty.” he explained with a cheeky smile.

“Are they for me or for you?” you asked teasingly, the heaviness in your heart no longer weighing you down.

“That is for you decide.” the second prince replied with musical laughter before he turned serious once more. “Go well (F/n), be safe. I know I am a selfish man for asking this of you but do not forget me.” his deep brown eyes connected with yours and refused to look away.

“It is not selfish if I ask you the same thing.”  your lips quirked at the corners and the kiss you shared this time was brief and chaste.

You did not say goodbye to him although you did give one last deep bow before climbing into your boat. As you floated away, you closed your eyes, not wishing to see or feel your distance grow between yourself and the place you once considered home. In your enhanced state, you smelled the peach blossom trees that lined each side of the river and you wondered how long they would be in bloom for. If just like you and your paradise, their beauty and magnificence would soon expire.

When your eyes do eventually open, you gasped at the sight. Though you were certain that it was spring, it did not seem like it. Compared to the world you left, this world seemed to have been drained of its color and splendor. It looked dreary, lethargic and it lacked the people you had come to love. You steeled yourself at the thought – you made your choice and you reminded yourself of the fact that you were eager to see your family.


You did not think the boat had much stored in it until it was your job to drag them back to your home. It felt strange having to accustom yourself to your old life again, especially when you were treated as nothing short of royalty before. Even so, you lugged all of your gifts and belongings with determination.

You knocked on your front door. “Mother! Are you home?” you yelled just loud enough for her to hear.

“Doyoung, what have I told you about-” the words died on the older woman’s tongue as tears filled her eyes. “(F/n)…you are alive?” she almost whispered, barely believing the sight before her.

“Yes Mother, I am. Please let me explain.” you asked kindly, allowing your parent to take her time in her realization.

In the meantime you once again dragged in everything and sat yourself at the familiar table. Your mother quietly prepared tea. Once your cup had been filled, you began your story that you carefully constructed.

“Firstly, I apologize for disappearing, please understand I did not mean to do that intentionally. I had been out to catch dinner when I sprained my ankle badly. I did not want to come back without anything so I took the boat. The details are a bit foggy but I passed out. When I woke up…I was in a nearby village. The family that took me in were wealthy and ensured my health and safety. I wanted to return home immediately but they insisted that I wait until I recovered.” you carefully and calmly explained to her, keeping the details vague enough so you would not find yourself bursting into tears.

“Oh my daughter!” your mother exclaimed as she took you in her arms, holding you tightly to her as though you would disappear if she let go. “I thought you were unhappy about getting married to Taejin, I thought I was the one who made you run away.” she wailed, her relief so acute that your eyes prickled as well.

“I would never do that to you and Father.” you fiercely responded. You removed yourself from her embrace and looked at her. “Mother…I have been thinking for the many months I have been away but…I can no longer marry Taejin.”

“But (F/n)…” you were not entirely sure if your mother looked more exasperated or heartbroken.

“I know what you are thinking.” you interrupted and moved to find the velvet bag that you had been gifted. “The family I stayed with gifted me this. We can use it to start our life afresh.”

“This is…” she trailed off and you do not think you could ever remember seeing your mother so speechless. “Is that true?”

Even though you were unsure of what she was exactly referring to, you nodded your head, overcome by your emotions.


It had been a great affair when your father and brother returned. While your younger brother scolded you for disappearing, you knew he was relieved you were home. Cautious with their new wealth though they were, the first thing your parents did was hold a feast in your honor. You saw first-hand how little things had changed since you were gone yet the way you viewed life now differed greatly. It was also an opportunity to announce that engagement that was set between you and Taejin was to be no longer and your heart felt lighter when your family friends took no offense to the change.

In the months you returned, not a day went by where you did not think of Taekwoon. Though your world was nothing like his, you still found things that would remind you of him. The lively pink hibiscus flowers he gifted you was immediately planted in your backyard, where every morning and every evening you would tend to them and gaze lovingly upon them. You did not realize it at the time, but you soon came to realize that the floral scent that always lingered on Taekwoon’s clothes was indeed the very flowers in front of you and you would close your eyes in fondness as you remembered the many days you spent together in the shade of that beautiful apple orchid.

While you did your utmost to pass off your dedication to the pink hibiscus flowers flourishing in your backyard as nothing more than an intense new interest, you would note the stares and glances from your mother each morning and evening. Once she asked you who had gifted you those flowers and you merely chuckled, ignoring the tightening in your throat, as you told her you saw them alongside the river and that they were too splendid to simply leave them in the wild. The older woman’s gaze fell onto the opal ring you never saw fit to take off and with a simple nod of her head; she left you to your devices once more.


Months had passed since. Spring had given way to summer, summer to autumn and autumn to winter. You recalled how distraught you felt when one by one, the delicate petals of each flower would wilt and brown before falling to the earth in which they were lovingly planted. It was irrational, illogical even, but those flowers were the only thing that connected you to the place you once lived; to the person you loved and seeing them barren of any color and bulbs made you feel as though you lost something very precious to you. Your mother, in all her maternal wisdom, subtly assured you that before you knew it spring would return.


She was correct of course. That did not mean that the months that passed in between were any more pleasant. As soon as the sun became a little warmer and daylight hours extended, you were outside monitoring the bulbs forming on each of the flowers. When they bloomed once more, you sobbed for the longest time when their scent reached you. You loathed to admit it, but you were beginning to forget. It started when you attempted to recall his handsome face but you could only vaguely recollect the features you once adored. You then tried to remember his countless embraces only to struggle to envisage his tall form and firm and assuring embrace. In your failing memory his kisses became comparable to grasping handfuls of air and his voice, a song you had long forgotten.

Your heart ached. How could life be so cruel? You loved Taekwoon with a fierceness that you never felt in your so few years and yet, the distance and time forced between the two of you challenged that feeling. It felt as though your sanity was reaching its limit; to feel as though he were nothing more than a phantom when a little more than a year ago he was tangible, was more than you could bear.

You sighed at the thought as you focused on the flowers you kneeled before. If only you could see him just once more, just to remind yourself that he was more than a wonderful image in your mind, you would be satisfied, or at least that was what you told yourself.

“(F/n).” a gentle voice called, intertwining with the equal gentle spring breeze.

You squeezed your eyes shut, praying that your mind was not playing tricks on you. Your heart raced as you turned your head in the direction of the voice. Your eyes opened to find Taekwoon – dressed similarly to the first time your eyes looked upon him. The second prince kept his hair at the same length when you last saw him; his body language filled with indicators that he was neither an elaborate imagining of your mind nor a stranger who bore a strange resemblance to him.

You carefully stood on two unsteady legs. “Taekwoon.” you said his name in some sort of reply. You noted how your voice shook with emotion; at how uncertain you were that he could possibly be here.

“I would recognize those flowers anywhere.” he continued with a smile that seemed to rival the sun. He placed one foot in front of the other, his stride slow and sure. Though your mind screamed for you to run as fast as you could, your feet refused to move from their place.

“They were all I had left of you.” you responded; overcome with so much emotion, you found it easier to speak to the flowers as you had in the past months.

“I am here now.” the second prince quietly affirmed as he reached out his hand to cradle your face. At first he seemed afraid, as though you too were nothing more than fictional only to grow bolder when you leaned into his familiar touch and allowed your tears to fall.

“I was beginning to forget you.” you admitted so softly that for a moment you assumed that you merely thought it. The understanding kiss that graced your forehead left you feeling heartened at the action.

“You were not the only one,” Taekwoon answered, his smile sad, “to me you were starting to feel like a lovely dream that no longer was. All I had to remember you was a painting. It was never enough and I was beginning to lose myself in the fact that I struggled to recall things I used to with ease.”

“But you can never return.” you countered; your words distorted by the tears cascading down your cheeks.

“I know that well.” he assured as he thumbed away your tears with a tender expression. “It is better than growing to wonder if you were ever real; than saying I loved you but doing nothing to remain by your side.” Taekwoon reached for your left hand that still contained he placed on your finger only a year before. “I admit that I know little of your world but I am willing to live in yours as you lived in mine.”

“Is this what you meant when you told me that I did not know what the future held? Did you plan this?” you could only ask in awe as he peppered kisses on your hands.

Taekwoon looked at you, a true smile gracing his features. You took in the way it reached his eyes and crinkled the skin at the corners, the way it lit up his entire face and the way it showed his impeccably white teeth.

“No, even I am not gifted in that way,” he denied with a laugh, “but I knew that no matter where you went, I would follow. My love for you was the only thing I was ever certain of.”

“And it is something I will never doubt.” you whispered sweetly as you reached to sweep the hair that fell into his dark eyes.

As the second prince caught you with his entrancing gaze, he lovingly tilted your chin toward him as he slid an arm around the dip of your waist as if to remove any distance that had been placed between you. In response, your hand that lingered over his face gently cradled his well-defined jaw with all the gentleness and tenderness you could express.

When his lips finally claimed yours with a mixture of passion, love and numerous unspoken promises for the future against the backdrop of the last rays of the spring sun and among the glory of those precious pink hibiscus flowers, it was then that the peach blossom truly found paradise.


A/N: That's all she wrote folks. Technically the story has come to an end, though there is one more chapter I will be posting. Thank you all so much for being so patient and for enjoying it and commenting, it means the world to me. The ring I mentioned is a real thing, if you look at Leo's individual teaser for Shangri-la, the ring is on his left hand if I remember correctly. And the long haired Leo was inspired by this wonderful fanart I found by @mirengnim (which you can find here). The hibiscus, as you all know, is Leo's birthday flower and I used the pink variation as I believe that was used on the album. Anyway I hope you all enjoyed this!<3

gsPXueB.png