Left Out

Left Out


Yonghwa’s eyes shot open when he heard sounds of people rustling about inside his home. He sat up in bed and glanced at the small clock on his bed side table. 7:30 AM. His family must be eating breakfast he thought as he hurriedly brushed his teeth before walking outside to his living room.

“Good morning!” Yonghwa says cheerfully as he watches his family of four sitting at the dining room table eating their breakfast. His oldest son, Min Jae 12, was stuffing his face woofing his food down at a face pace, while his middle son, Dae Ho 7, being the picky eater he was, picked at his food, choosing what he liked best. Then there was his youngest son, Young Jae, just 8 months old, sitting in his booster chair as his mother fed him.

Yonghwa couldn’t help but stand there and admire his family, and how lucky he was to have them. And to think it started on accident just 13 years ago when Seohyun first told him she was pregnant with his first born, he remembered fainting and waking up to a worried Hyun. He was just 22 years old at the time, Seohyun 20, and they were both idol stars. They had been dating secretly for a year, and on their one year anniversary night they let their passions get the best of them, not taking preventative measures. They didn’t plan it, it just happened.

-

“Let’s get married Hyun.” He told her as he looked into her eyes. He always knew Seohyun was the women he wanted to spend his life with, and though he didn’t plan to marry her so early, with the sudden pregnancy, he pushed his plans ahead.  

With that said and done, the two got married. Some of CN Blue and SNSD fans were furious, but eventually things died down, and fans came to accept the new couple. Seohyun, with the permission and blessing of SM Entertainment’s president Lee Soo Man, left the girl group and went to school full time. It was Seohyun’s decision, and though Yonghwa didn’t want her to quit because of him, she assured him that her real dream was to be a wonderful wife and mother.

It didn’t turn out to be so bad, and Yonghwa even got more fans of different age ranges, and was soon nicknamed ‘Korea’s first and only Idol Dad’.

-

“Why didn’t you wake me to have breakfast with you guys?” Yonghwa asks as he walked towards his wife and baby son, leaning in to kiss Young Jae on the cheeks and in response Young Jae grabs a fistful of Yonghwa’s hair and tugged.

“Ow!” Yonghwa yelps in pain, as he successfully pries the strong baby’s hand off of his hair.

Seohyun chuckles while looking at Yong rub the spot on his head. “You know, he never does that to anyone else but you. Looks like you have to win your son’s love.”

“Don’t remind me!” Yong rolls his eyes as he thinks about how his 8 month old son bullies him. “Why didn’t you call me for breakfast Hyun?” He asks again.

“Well it was your first Saturday off in a long time, so I figured I let you sleep in.” Seohyun says as she stands up picking up her plate and brining them to the sink. Min Jae and Dae Ho followed behind and placed the dishes on the counter besides their mom.

“YAH! Why is everyone leaving as soon as I come?” Yonghwa pouts. He watches as Min Jae walk past him and towards the front door. “Where are you going?” Yong asks as he follow behind.

“I’m going down to the park to practice soccer with the team. The coach and members are already there. Coach promised to bring us to eat pizza afterwards!” Min Jae excitedly tells his father as he slips on one of his shoes.

Yonghwa smiles widely. “How about your appa come with you? It had been a long time since we played a sport together.”

Min Jae scrunches his nose at the idea. “Uh…appa….no offense but…you at soccer. It’s kind of embarrassing.”

Yonghwa’s eyes widen. “WHAT?! I do not! Did you know, back when I was in high school, I was a basketball super star! Every time I made a shot, the crowd screams, and when I smiled at the girls on the bleachers, they nearly fainted!”

“But that’s basketball appa, this is soccer.” Min Jae quickly stopped his appa before he could go and go about his glory days, which Min Jae already heard plenty of times already. “I’m going now. Bye omma, bye appa!”

“Remember to use your coach’s phone to call me when you get down there!” Seohyun called out.

Sulking he walks towards his second born, Dae Ho and playfully rubs his head. “What do you want to do today son, we can do anything you want.”

“But I’m going next door to Uncle Jong Hyun’s house.”

“Why? What does Uncle Jong Hyun have there that we don’t have at home?” Yonghwa asks feeling a little upset.

“Hee Jin chingu.” Dae Ho responds immediately.

Yonghwa laughs. “Yah! You’re only 7 years old, and already leaving your appa to chase after girls?”

“I don’t know what that means appa.” Dae Ho scratches his head. “I didn’t chase her; we can’t run in the house.” He says innocently. “I like going over there because it’s fun, and Hee Jin chingu is pretty and fun to play with, and plus I also have Jun Ho dongsaeng to play with.”

“You also have your dongsaeng here to play with.” Yonghwa counters.

“But he doesn’t do anything but cry, poop, and drools!” Yonghwa thought about it. “True… Fine, go then.” He laughs when his son runs out the front door.

Yonghwa walks over to Seohyun who was finishing up the dishes, and hugged her from behind. “Guess it’s just you, me and Young Jae today.” He kisses the side of her neck. “Maybe later when Young Jae naps, we can spend some alone time.” He whispers in her ears softly.

“Ha..ha” Seohyun forcefully laughs and turned around in Yong’s arms. “About that…I have to go meet up with my unnies, we planned for mommy/baby days out.”

Yonghwa’s face dropped. “You too? You’re leaving me too?”

“Well…I guess you can come, I don’t think the unnies will mind.” Seohyun offered.

Feeling dejected, Yonghwa dropped his hands to his side, and slouches his back as he walks towards the couch and plops down on it. “Just go…I don’t want to be the only guy there, ruining you girls fun.”  He pouted.

Seohyun laughs at his expression and walks over to sit on his lap. “35 years old and still acting like Yong choding huh?” She places both her hands on each side of his face to look at her. “I’ll make it up to you later.” She winks.

Excited with that prospect he enthusiastically helps her back her and Young Jae’s things before sending them off. But now with only 10 minutes passing since his wife left, Yong sat on their yellow couch feeling dejected. He had no clue what to do with himself, he walked over to the sink to do the dishes, but Hyun had already done them.

Laying on the couch in his trademark position, Yonghwa tried thinking of the last time he was actually home alone like this. The last time he was in this exact same situation was about 13 years ago when he and Hyun were still filming ‘We Got Married’. He remembered how bored he was, and how empty he felt without her. Yonghwa’s eye lit up as an idea popped up in his head and so he reaches over for his cellphone

“Hyunnnn where’s the salt?”

“It’s on the counter oppa…you know in that container that says salt?”

“Okay got it thanks. I love you.”

“Love you too, bye.”

--

2 minutes later…

“Hyunnnn…I burnt my eggs, so now I want sweet potatoes…how do you cook it again?”

“Aigoo oppa! Put it in a pot and steam it, poke it with a fork and when it easily goes through it’s done.”

“Poke it with a fork? Okay Thanks. I love you.”

“Love you too, bye.”

--

7 minutes later…

“Hyunnnnn… where did you put our ‘We Got Married’ dvds? I want to watch it!”

“Oppa, it’s in the T.V cabinet.”

“Okay, I love you, bye.”

“Love you too, bye.”

--

After the 15th time Yonghwa called Hyun…

“Hyu-”

“OPPA!” Seohyun cuts him off. “I am on my way home right now!”

Yonghwa smirks because his plan worked, he nevertheless tried sounding innocent. “Wae? You haven’t even been gone for an hour.”

“Yah! Yong choding! Don’t play dumb!”

Yong snickers quietly. “Hyunnnnn I love you….”

“…”

“Hyun! I said I love you!”

“….”

“HYUN?”

Seohyun smiles in triumph as she hangs up in Yonghwa’s face, and then ignores her ringing phone.