Cashmere

Maximum Effort

Chapter Three

Bambam was eyeing Jinyoung during the radio interview. He was more quiet than usual, not really contributing to the conversation but laughing along. He was slouched against Youngjae, who had his arm around his shoulders. He kept rubbing his hands together as if trying to generate heat. It was hot in the studio. 

To think about it, Jinyoung's color wasn't so good either. There were dark circles under his eyes. 

"Bambam-ssi, what do you think about today's airport fashion? You are quite a trendsetter, what is your preferred fashion right now?" The radio announcer suddenly asked him. His attention was diverted back to the discussion and he answered with enthusiasm but it still did not erase his unease about seeing Jinyoung not looking so well. 

*

"Your guys seem very close, closer than most brothers." The announcer remarked, looking at me leaning against Youngjae. "It's nice to see idol groups who get along so well."

A statement which I heartily agreed to. Youngjae was absently rubbing my back and shoulder. Mark was holding my hand. It was the usual interaction between the members, but it mattered a lot when you felt like crap yet you have brothers to lean on. 

Bambam caught my attention when he started to pull off his long cardigan, fanning himself with his hand. Jackson looked at him in askance. Bambam gestured that he was warm. Warm? It was cold as a witch's tit in the studio. I was glad I had Youngjae next to me, keeping me from shivering. Mark was also doing a good job keeping the circulation in one of my hands. 

Ever the fashionista, Bambam flicked his cardigan to prevent creases and discreetly draped it on his lap. Unsatisfied with this, he stood up and hung it on my shoulders with a mischievous look. 

"Hey, Bambam, you rude kid, using your hyung as a coat hanger." Jackson said. Bambam just smiled while JB shook his head. 

The announcer laughed at this byplay while I was secretly relieved for the extra warmth that suddenly enveloped me. 

No wonder Bambam felt hot. The cashmere cardigan retained heat so well, it was as if Bambam draped himself over me. I stifled a sigh of relief at the sudden sensation. 

"So you will be singing a cover of 'You were beautiful' for us today? It was sung by Day6 right? I like that song." The announcer said. 

Crap. The last time we sung that song, it was a strain to my throat because it was slightly higher than the songs we usually sang. I swallowed, testing my sore throat as discreetly as possible. 

 "Ah, yes. We covered it before, and they requested for us to sing it again for this show." Jaebum answered. "This time, it will be the entire vocal line singing, instead of just me and Jinyoung." 

I could have kissed JB at that moment. Stil, when we sang it, I was barely able to do two choruses. Luckily, JB and Youngjae were quick to sing along each time. Manager hyung brought water afterwards. I was sweating my makeup off as if we did a full stage performance. 

My temples were pulsating and my stomach was feeling unsettled again. I stood up cautiously when we wrapped up our radio segment bowing carefully to the radio announcer and the production team. 

JB slipped his arm around my waist and gave me a quick squeeze. 

He wasn't usually one to initiate affection, but his arm bolstered me up and gave me the strength I needed to act normal. I held on to his hand that was resting on my hip to keep it there. 

"Your hand is cold, Jinyoung-ah." He remarked when we were out of earshot from everyone else. 

"It's cold in the studio."

He looked at me skeptically. "Are you feeling okay? You've been acting weird since yesterday." 

The man is clearly born to be a leader. "I am fine. Just a little under the weather."  

"Well we have a long ride back to the JYP Building, so you can rest well in the car." He replied. 

I nodded as we made our way back to the van. I chose to sit at the very back. JB followed me there along with Bambam. 

With some surprise, I asked, "Aren't you going to sit in front?" 

"Nah, I wanna take a nap. The headrest is not comfortable in front." Bambam said and sat right beside me. I was essentially sandwiched between him and JB. He then proceeded to yawn and put his head on my shoulder threw his leg over mine. 

Normally, I would have repositioned him so only one appendage was draped over me. Either the leg or the head. One or the other. But at that time, my head felt as if the mother of all migraines decided to visit me and tell me her troubles. I could only stare dazedly at Bambam as cold sweat broke from my forehead and my stomach churned uneasily. 

"Go to sleep." I heard Jaebum murmur and he firmly yet gently put his hand to the side of my neck and pulled my head to his broad shoulder. 

I gritted my teeth to fight the discomfort in my body and pushed my brow against Jaebum's collarbone. His arm went around my shoulder, absently petting my hair and Bambam's. 

I focused on this, taking in the soothing rhythm, the warmth of both bodies surrounding me. 

Eventually, I fell asleep. 

*

Jaebum sifted his fingers through Jinyoung's silky hair. It was halfway drenched with sweat. He sighed quietly. Careful not to disturb the sleeping boys. He was a little frustrated. While it was obvious that Jinyoung wasn't feeling well, he was trying his damndest to hide it from everyone.

As much as JB wanted to put his foot down and demand that the younger member take a breather and rest, he also knew that pride was all that kept Jinyoung standing since the day before. And pride, as stupid as it was sometimes, was something fragile and something that needed careful consideration before he imposed his own will over it, regardless of whether it was for 's own well being. 

So he let Jinyoung suffer through the rigors of the day, and himself suffering along with his own helplessness. 

He felt a slender hand circle his wrist and looked down. 

Bambam had his head tilted back, his eyes questioning. Without a doubt, he also knew something was wrong with Jinyoung. With his looks, he could easily be vain and at times act like an airhead, but Bambam was sharper than he let on. "Sick?" He mouthed. 

JB nodded. Bambam's hand tightened its hold and closed his eyes. 

*

"Jinyoung, Wake up. We're here." A hand shook my shoulder. 

"Mmm." I grumbled and tried to burrow my face against the heat source it was pressed against. 

The same hand ruffled my hair affectionately. "Jinyoung, we have dance practice still. Wake up."

My eyes snapped open, realizing I was laying quite comfortably on JB's side and just rubbed all of my makeup on his shoulder. I pulled away from his heat reluctantly and started to feel the chill in the air once more. "Sorry hyung." I mumbled. The pain and misery that were plaguing me the entire day deciding to resurface once more. 

"Here, put a mask on. Your face is messed up." JB said in an offhand way. I didn't really take offense to it, as he has seen me in worse conditions. True homies would tell you if your foundation was creasing. 

I donned the mask. My stomach roiled as I ambled out of the van. My limbs felt shaky that I stumbled a little, stepping down. Luckily Yugyeon was right next to me and grabbed my arm. 

"Are you okay, hyung?" He asked quietly. I looked at his face and saw the concern there. 

"Yeah, my legs fell asleep in the car." I patted his hand and he let me go. The chill in the air buffeted us until we made it into the JYPE building. We quickly changed into comfortable clothes that the staff usually kept for us when we did not have time to go back to the dorm to freshen up. 

At this point, my head felt like Humpty Dumpty post fall. The term splitting headache was not just a figure of speech anymore. 

I was sweating cold bullets, trying to control the gorge that rose in my throat. I trailed behind everyone to the practice rooms, just in case I needed to make a break for the bathroom. 

I was so busy trying to regain my faculties that I did not notice Yugyeom was right in front of me. 

"Hyung, you're not okay." He said quietly and gave me a very spontaneous yet gentle hug, that caught me quite by surprise that I forgot about everything else. 

Aside from the fact that this burst of affection was highly unusual for our giant maknae, who is usually the recipient of affection, not the other way around, I realize how much taller he has grown over the years. He was half a head taller than me that my nose was on the same level as his collar. 

I closed my eyes and gripped the back hem of his jacket to ground myself. 

This single action has somehow dulled all the crap I was feeling at the time. 

"I'm okay, Yugyeom-ah. You can let go of hyung now." I patted his back. I didn't want the others to turn back and see what was going on. 

I did not want them to know. I did not want to be a burden. 

- End of Chapter 3 - 

 

A/N: I am so sorry it took so long for me to update. I have been so busy with school and work, yada yada. I hope you liked this chapter. I am thinking of making this story into 4 chapters so there will be two updates left. 

By the way, I have been using the blog side for this account, which is where I will be posting poems and random stuff that comes into my mind. Please visit my other works as well (Shameless self-promotion). I do a lot of poems that I will be posting more soon. I just need to get my life together. Haha. 

If you have any story suggestions, please let me know. I will try and accommodate your requests as well. 

Thank you for reading!