Samgyetang

Maximum Effort

While it is true that I am a hardworking person, I tend to be hardworking only when necessary. After all, living in a world where not everyone who is hardworking gets rewarded, I make sure to only expend a bare minimum effort in things not worth my while.

Dance practice, vocal lessons, acting lessons= Maximum effort.

Socializing, entertaining, unpaid aegyo = Minimum effort.

Which is what brings me to my current predicament.

 I find it unacceptable that my body is succumbing to the virulent and highly inconvenient phenomena called “The Flu”.

Intolerable.

It started the day before.

*

The practice room was stifling. I felt like an incubated egg. With legs.

I was barely keeping up with our dance routines as my arms and legs just didn’t want to sync. I know I am not the best dancer in GOT7, but I’ve never had a problem keeping up with the others before.

Jaebum called for a short break, for which I was grateful. Fluids.

I grabbed a cold bottle of Pocari sweat that manager hyung brought a few minutes ago. My hand was sweating. Gross. I had to wipe it off my shirt so I can twist open the bottle.

I desperately wanted something cold to douse the heat that I took huge gulps of the drink, wincing with each swallow. My throat was starting to hurt. I think I overdid it during vocal training.

“Jinyoungie, you okay?” Mark was frowning when he saw me.

“I’m fine, hyung. Brain freeze.” I brushed off his concern.

“Maybe we should call it a day.” Jaebum looked at the other members.

We just had a punishing eight hour dance practice and before that, four hours of vocal training. Everyone was wiped. Youngjae was draped against the arm of the sofa while Bambam was sitting on the floor, leaning against Yugyeom who was playing games on his phone.

Jackson had to leave earlier as he had to appear in yet another variety show and won’t be back until later.

At this point, I was just so tired that I wanted to go straight to bed.

“We have to head out early to Incheon tomorrow anyway.” I said, leaving the decision to Jaebum. He looked at me considering.

“Let’s wrap it up then.” The others groaned in relief.

I hid my sigh of relief. It was so ing hot in the practice room. I grabbed my towel and wiped off sweat from my body.

“You’re sweating so much, hyung.” Bambam, uncharacteristically took the towel from me and started blotting off sweat from my neck.

I started a little when he yanked my shirt up and stuck his hand in (with the towel) and wiped the sweat from there.

“Stop that.” I twisted to take the towel from him.

Mark came up behind me and did the same and worked on my back with his towel.

“Stop that, hyung.” I tried to walk away, but Mark was holding firmly onto my shirt.

“There. All done.” Mark patted my shoulder and gave me another bottle of pocari.

“Thanks.” I mumbled.

The ride back was quiet. Everyone was exhausted and hungry. I was still feeling so hot, but I didn’t like the feel of the AC blowing directly at me. I leaned my forehead against the car window.

“Hey kids, what would you like to eat for dinner?” Manager hyung asked from the driver seat.

“Can we get jajangmyeon?” Bambam piped up.

“We just had that yesterday.” Yugyeom complained.

“Ginseng chicken.” I said softly. Despite the heat I was feeling, I wanted something warm and easy to eat right now.

“What was that, Jinyoungie?” Mark asked, moving closer to me.

“Didn’t say anything.” I lied.

“Samgyetang.” Youngjae said. Someone bless Youngjae for his sharp hearing. “Manager Hyung, I want some Samgyetang.”

“Okay!”

When we got back to the dorm, the heat from the afternoon was still lingering in the rooms.

“Shower.” I called out and headed straight to the bathroom.

I was drained. I sat on the toilet while waiting for the water to warm up a little bit.

“Jinyoung-ah, dinner is on. We’re starting without you.” Jaebum called from outside the bathroom.

“Okay.” I answered.

My limbs protested when I got up from the toilet. I took off my clothes and stepped inside the shower.

The water was a little bit hotter than I usually preferred, but it was soothing my tired muscles. There was some sort of purifying feeling standing under a spray of hot water. I stood there for a good five minutes, just letting the jet wash away the dust and grime of the day.

My stomach rumbled, which prompted me to move and go about my usual bathroom ablutions.

By the time I was done, everyone already ate and was lounging in the living room watching TV.

“Hyung, your food is on the table.” Yugyeom said.

I looked at the steaming bowl of chicken soup and rice.

If I ate, I would have to brush my teeth again. As good as it looks, I would rather pass out in my bed. I will eat it later.

“I’ll eat later. I’m just gonna take a nap.”

I trudged my way back into my room.  

My six by seven feet palace.

I sank into my bed slowly, groaning when all my aches and pains announced themselves.

Just a few minutes. Then I will eat.

A few minutes.

*

Jaebum looked at the clock, it was already half past eleven. Jinyoung still hasn’t come out of his room to eat dinner.

He went to Jinyoung’s room right next to Bambam and Yugyeom. He carefully opened the door and peeked inside. It was pitch black.

The gentle hum of the air conditioning could be heard, as well as Jinyoung’s breathing.

When Jaebum’s eyes adjusted to the darkness, he saw that Jinyoung was sleeping peacefully amidst a pile of pillows and blankets.

JB sighed and closed the door. He will just nag the other member to eat better in the morning. It was too late to wake him now.

Turning back to his own room, he started a bit when he saw Mark standing to the side with a questioning look on his face.

“How is Jinyoung?” Mark asked, crossing his arms loosely.

“Sleeping. I’ll put his food in the fridge.” JB answered.

“He has been working very hard.” The older member remarked.

“Haven’t we all been?” JB put the chicken soup in the fridge and the rice back in the rice cooker. Mark didn’t say anything and stared at what JB was doing instead.

Jaebum was concerned about Jinyoung too. He was acting very out of character. The other younger members have been trying to get a rise out of him, maybe a sarcastic remark or two, but it was like all the snarky comments went right past his head.

He knew Jinyoung quite well though. He would not want anyone to make a big deal over this.

“Let’s watch and see tomorrow.” JB sighed.

Mark pursed his lips but nodded.

End of Chapter One

A/N: I hope you liked the first chapter. Please let me know if there is anything I can improve with the story. I am open to suggestions.