Gym Class

Gym Class

Gym class is Handongs favourite lesson, she has never been sporty or active at all really but she loves it never the less. It’s where she first met Yoohyeon.

 

 

 

It was Monday afternoon some time in the fall, Handong was left alone after gym class, she simply took quite a while to tie her shoes. But in the midst of looping one of the laces she heard someone sobbing. Her curiosity had gotten the better of her and she had followed the faint sobs (being careful not to fall over here still untied shows) and they lead her straight to a curled up Kim Yoohyeon.

 

They skipped the next class together and spent all of it sat on the changing room floor, Yoohyeon’s head resting on Handong’s shoulder (the latter’s school shirt had been dampened by the former’s tears). Handong found out that Yoohyeon’s family dog had just passed away, she could tell the dog meant a lot to Yoohyeon after she spent nearly twenty minuets talking purely about how fluffy she was. The rest of the time was occupied by Handong successfully cheering Yoohyeon up.The pair had never really talked before but there was no awkwardness between them.

 

As soon as the bell had rung Yoohyeon jumped to her feet and collected her things, Handong just stayed still and watched her in silence as she walked out of the room. She didn't see Yoohyeon again for a few weeks, no matter how much she searched for her.

 

However one Monday, when she was left to clean the showers out, she heard the quite sobs again. This time she almost ran to where they were coming from and sure enough she found Yoohyeon.

 

 

 

“Dongie tie your shoes quicker you’re going to miss maths!” Yoohyeon whines while tugging at Handong’s sleeve, this doesn’t make her go any faster, maths is her least favourite subject (mainly because it’s the only class which she doesn’t share with Yoohyeon).She finishes fiddling with her laces and intertwines her fingers with the other girls.

 

The walk for a while with out speaking, this isn’t strange to them at all. They just like to appreciate each others company. Their hands swing between them and the older girl draws circles on the back of the younger’s hand with the pad of her thumb.

 

“Do you think Bora likes Siyeon?” the younger one asks, breaking the comfortable silence between them.

 

“I hope she does, Siyeon obviously likes her back”, the older one replies with a soft smile.

 

“I bet you Bora will confess first”, Yoohyeon says while reaching her hand for the other one to shake. Handong should have learned by now not to bet with Yoohyeon because it never ends up in her favour, (she’s starting to suspect she has some sort of future vision). However she’s too kind to let Yoohyeon down and takes the outstretched hand in hers while giving it a soft shake.

“What do i get if i win?”, Handong questions, not expecting much more than her friends normal prizes of money or food.

 

“The winner decides what they want afterwards”, Yoohyeon replies, followed by a wink.

 

A smile spread across Handong’s face, making Yoohyeon grin in return and the latter leans in to peck the latter’s cheek.

 

“I’ll wait for you here after class”, Handong doesn’t reply she just gives a small nod and watches as Yoohyeon disappear around the conner. This is the first time Yoohyeon has ever kissed Handong but even though it was only for a second she quickly decides it’s her new favourite thing.

 

 

 

 

 

“You’re finally here!” their close friend Jiyoo beams, “Bora wouldn’t let us start drinking till you guys showed up”

 

“It wouldn’t be much fun without you two anyway”, adds their younger friend Dami, who had just appeared from behind Jiyoo. The pair makes their way into the Bora’s house and place themselves on the coach, recently they find themselves doing this most weekends.

 

Handong can’t help but feel a sting of disappointed when Gahyeon (one of Yoohyeon’s oldest friends) squeezes herself between the two. She’s used to Yoohyeon being close with their friends, (she’s extremely affectionate so Handong isn’t affected by all the hugs she shares with the others), but she’s always been wary of Gahyeon. She doesn’t dislike the girl, with her level of cuteness that seems almost impossible, but she dislikes how close she is to Yoohyeon. Most of all she dislikes the way Yoohyeon’s face lights up when ever she sees the younger girl. Handong feels quite selfish for thinking this way, Yoohyeon deserves to have someone who makes her feel like that, she just hoped it was her.

 

After a while of talking among themselves the group of seven settle down for some party games (it wouldn’t be a part without them). Dami, one of the youngest friends, suggest a game of spin the bottle and the suggestion is met by six excited nods. The group have their own way of playing spin the bottle, simply instead of kissing the person it lands on you assign them a dare, this still doesn’t stop the game from getting a bit intimate.

 

“I’ll go first!”, Jiyoo, the oldest, announces while downing the remainder of her drink to provide a bottle. She gives it a twist and the game begins.

 

They are about ten rounds in when the dares start getting more exciting, (probably linked to the group becoming significantly less sober).

 

Its Gahyeon’s turn to spin the bottle and the group giggle when it comes to a stop on the extremely tipsy Yoohyeon. Handong doesn’t laugh though she’s more focused on the mischievous grin that is now spread over Gahyeon’s face.

 

“I dare you to kiss me” Gahyeon says with a wink. Dares like this aren’t uncommon, Handong should know they are simply a bit of fun but as she watches Yoohyeon lean across the circle she can feel the envy grow inside her.

 

A wave of sequels and whistles sweep over the group when the older girl press her lips onto the younger’s. The kiss lasts longer than normal, the group watched wide eyed as Gahyeon wraps her arms around Yoohyeon’s neck and pulls her into a deeper kiss. The two pull back after a few seconds red faced and laughing and straight away Handong knows this wasn’t the first time the two have done this.

 

 

 

Gahyeon and Yoohyeon announce that they are dating a week later during lunch. Handong is more than happy for her friends but it still doesn’t erase the jealousy she feels inside. Its the first lunch time in a while in which Handong has had to sit alone, she just watched her friends around her. Jiyoo and Dami crying of laughter after Jiyoo’s attempt at an elephant impression, Bora and Siyeon are taking quietly to themselves. She notices how Bora delicately moves a strand of Siyeon’s hair behind her ear.

 

“Bora defiantly likes her”, Handong mumbles to herself, thinking back to the bet she made with Yoohyeon. She also remembers the kiss on the cheek, and much to her disappointed another one hasn't occurred (she wasn’t expecting one to in light of the recent announcement).

 

Her attention has now fallen onto Gahyeon and Yoohyeon who a stealing kisses from each other. A warm smile appears at Handong’s lips when she sees the grin on Yoohyeon’s lips, the same lips that she wishes were kissing her instead.

 

 

 

Handong’s the last person in the changing rooms, this time she’s the one crying, curled up in the same place she used to find Yoohyeon. However no one comes, her own tears dampening her shirt.

 

She’s never felt this alone before, even when she first moved to this school and knew no one. Her and Yoohyeon have been significantly more distant recently, her other friends seem mostly occupied with school work and family, (she suspects in Bora’s and Siyeon’s cases dating too).

 

The door creaking open shook her from her thoughts and she held her breathe to not give herself away. She paid close attention to the foot steps as they walked to the end of the changing room, stopped for a few seconds then stated heading back to the door. Unfortunately Handong couldn’t hold her breathe long enough, gasping before the footsteps disappeared out the door.

 

“Is someone in here?” a familiar voice echoed from the empty room. Handong doesn’t reply but the footsteps re-enter the room and begin heading in her direction.

 

“Dong, why are you here?” Jiyoo asks with a concerned look masking her face. Handong once again doesn’t reply, just wipes away some of the tears covering her cheeks. Jiyoo sits on the floor next to her and takes the younger one’s hand in her own, drawing circles on it with her thumb.

 

“Do you want to talk about whatever is bothering you?” the older girl whispers softly as if Handong could shatter into millions of pieces if she speaks to loudly. The younger girl raises her head so her eyes could meet Jiyoo’s and whispers into the air the chain of words you though she’d never say.

 

“I’m in love with Yoohyeon”