Stage 3: Anxiously Waiting to See If He Asks You Out

13 Stages of Falling In Love

You're too preoccupied with thoughts of "When the hell is he going to text me?" to think about other petty things like, you know, your job.


“Soojunggie~!”—Krystal paid Amber no mind as the older called her from the change rooms backstage—“Soojung!Soojung!Soojung~!”

“MWOYA?” She spun around faced the now cowering older American.

Sulli, Luna and Victoria burst out laughing at the familiar sight of the Princess and her pathetic llama servant.  Amber had pushed herself into the corner of the couch furthest away from Krystal and curled into a ball as if to protect herself from harm.

“W-We’re perf— We’re on in two minutes,” Amber stuttered as though she feared the wrong answer could be the end of her.

Krystal just stared her down blankly, clearly unimpressed and missing the point of the interruption.

“Soojung-ah,” Victoria smiled and pointed at her sock clad feet, “You need shoes.”

“Oh.”

Krystal flushed bright pink and ducked her head.  Sulli and Luna burst out laughing again at the rare sight of a pink ice princess.  They were clutching onto each other in an effort to stay standing, together they swayed in placed like drunkards and laughed themselves to breathlessness.

“What’s so important that you forgot your shoes anyway Junggie?” Sulli plopped onto the sofa with her fellow maknae, threw an arm around her shoulders and waggled her eyebrows suggestively.

“She’s checking her phone,” Luna perched on the arm of the couch on Krystal’s other side and wrapped an arm on top of Sulli’s, “For messages from her Prince Charming~!”

“Ooooooooh~!!!!!”  Amber teased from the other end of the couch, with reinforcements in the form of Sulli and Luna, she knew she was safe from the princess for now.

Krystal’s face heated up once more in an all too familiar manner, she groaned and dropped her face in her hands as she blushed for the umpteenth time this week.  Her members could laugh all they like about her fate, but she couldn’t help it.  She had given Isobel her number that night, but there had been no texts, no calls, nothing! Just silence from the other girl.  It was driving her mad.  She forgot dance moves, lost track of time, missed meetings, it was like everything stopped existing as she checked her phone constantly for anything from her Prince.


“Yah! Jung Soojung!” Krystal sat up startled as her older sister clicked her fingers impatiently right under her nose.

“Yah! What was that for, unnie?!”  The younger girl pouted and rubbed her nose sullenly.

The cuteness of it all made her sister squeal on the inside, but outwardly Jessica pouted just as much, “You were ignoring me.”

Krystal blinked at her older sister before she realized that she was right, she couldn’t recall a single thing her sister had told her in the last twenty minutes.  The poor maknae groaned and dropped her head on the table with a dull thud!  This was it, she was going crazy.  Spending time with her older sister was one of her favourite things to do and she was ruining one of the few spare moments they had free together.

“…mianhae…” She mumbled straight into the wood of the coffee table before her.

Jessica poked her head till she peeked up at her from beneath the cover of her hair.  Her blonde older sister smiled warmly, “Tell me what’s bothering you, Soojung-ah.”

Krystal’s cat-eyes watered at the warmth and care in her sister’s eyes, before she knew it the whole story came spilling out.  Every detail… Except for the kiss, her sister would likely murder Isobel if she found out about someone kissing her precious baby sister. 

“—But I haven’t heard from her!” Krystal whined like a child deprived of a new toy, she knew she was using aegyo, but she didn’t care.  This was her sister after all, one of the ONLY people she ever used aegyo for, no matter how embarrassing.

Jessica giggled and covered with a perfectly manicured hand, “You’ve got a big cruuuuuuush!”

She reached over to pinch her sister’s cheeks, but Krystal swatted her playful hands away with a glare and pout.  Krystal turned away and looked around the café they had secluded themselves in to avoid their fans.  High ceilings arched overhead as wooden panels surrounded them and fairy lights  cast a mystical glow about the room.

It was simple.  It was chic.  And… its barista was familiar?  Uniform black button up shirt rolled up to her elbows, black skinny jeans that were in obvious violation of the slacks dress code and long hair that cascaded down her back.  Her hands flew all over the silver machine with practised ease as coffee orders, one after another, came flying in for the lunchtime rush.

As if she felt Krystal’s gaze on her back, she suddenly looked over her shoulder and dark brown eyes glittered across the room.  Those eyes hardened at the sight of the younger Jung sister before the barista looked away.  The deft and easy movements changed subtly, an underlying tension shone in every twist of her hand.  Gone was the fluid motions of a familiar practice, instead it was replaced by the angry movements of someone occupying themselves from other thoughts.

Her suspicions aroused, Krystal stood up and marched over to the coffee maker.  She waltzed right through the line of people at the register, ignored the calls of her sister and simply made her way to side where the object of her thoughts stood.

The other girl steadfastly ignored and kept her gazed trained downwards.

Krystal cleared loudly, and leaned over the counter, “Ahem.”

“Can I help you miss?” Isobel asked, she turned and faced Krystal with a blank yet polite mask that did nothing more than madden the already angry singer.

Krystal scowled, “You didn’t message me.”

Isobel raised an eyebrow and looked her up and down coolly, “Excuse me?”

Jessica walked up and gently placed a hand on her sister’s arm to stop her from causing a scene.  Already people were craning their necks and pointing fingers at the obviously irate brunette bothering their barista, “Soojung…”

Krystal shook off her sister’s staying hand, angrily jabbed Isobel’s chest, and hissed, “What? Am I only good enough in a club? Those were some pretty words you said last time, almost charming… or princely even.”

Isobel’s eyes widened before she quickly wiped her hands dry and called over her shoulder, “Marie, I’m taking a break.”

Without waiting for an answer, she grabbed the finger on her chest and led Krystal to an office in the back.  There were papers all over the wooden desk and books crammed into every last space in the bookshelf.  Isobel locked the door behind them and offered Krystal a seat on the squishy office chair while she perched right in front of her on the desk itself.

“What was that all about?” Isobel hissed back at the glaring girl.

“You tell me!”—Krystal gripped the arms of the seat and hissed back just as angrily—“You haven’t messaged me and it’s been a week!”

“What are you talking about?” Isobel sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose as pain threatened to bloom behind her eyes.  The impending headache did nothing to soothe her current ire.

“You said you’d message, stup—”

“YOU GAVE ME A FAKE NUMBER!” Isobel finally exploded.  She leapt to her feet, grabbed the arms of the office chair and pulled Krystal close, “I sent a text as soon as I got home, but I figured, when some random replied to me, that you had no interest in talking to me.”

“W-what?” Krystal felt like she had just been slapped.  All this time she had been waiting for a message and one had been sent to her the very night she had found out the girl’s name. The only question was, how did the message get lost?

Isobel rolled her eyes and pulled her phone out of her back pocket.  She scrolled and pointed at the contact labelled ‘Ice Princess Krystal’. 

Said Ice Princess’ eyes scanned the familiar number in the details, only to stop at two numbers near the end.  She flushed and looked down, “…………”

Isobel could make nothing out of the mumbles from the younger girl.  She put two fingers under Krystal’s chin and made her look up, “What d’you say?”

“The 8 and the 1 towards the end should be swapped,” Krystal couldn’t look her in the eyes.  God she was so stupid! Here she was forgetting about work, getting mad and even yelling at the other girl when in the end she had typed her own number wrong.

Isobel’s eyebrows threatened to disappear into her hairline as disbelief washed over her face.  She quickly switched the two numbers around and pressed call.

Soon enough, Krystal’s familiar ringtone filled the silent office.  It rang between the two of them and Isobel bit her lip.  Krystal refused to meet her gaze, but she knew without looking that the barista was trying not to laugh.  Her phone kept ringing and ringing.

“YAH! It’s my number. Cut it out already!” Krystal snapped.

Isobel burst out laughing and cut the call.  She was clutching her stomach as she fell to her knees before Krystal.  There were tears in her eyes and she could barely form words, “Y-you— Can’t believe— Don’t you even know your own number?”

Krystal couldn’t help it.  Her lip twitched as the older girl could barely string together a sentence between bouts of laughter.  That barely there quirk of the lips was enough to set Isobel off again.  This time Krystal joined her.  The two of them laughed till their stomachs ached.  The laughter eventually died down, but the grins on their faces remained.  Isobel knelt on the floor in front of Krystal and put her head on Krystal’s lap.

She looked up with a cheeky smile, “Have you been waiting for my text this whole time?”

Krystal snorted and flicked her forehead, “Have you been sulking this whole time?”

Isobel looked up at her earnestly, in her eyes she could only see affection with a hint of shyness, “Maybe.”

Krystal giggled and kissed Isobel’s forehead, right where she had flicked her in the first place.  Isobel grinned so broadly Krystal wondered if her cheeks ached at all.

“Are you going to get in trouble for using the manager’s office?” Krystal looked around the messy, yet homely room.  It was decorated much like the café, with dark woods and plenty of natural lighting from the large windows.

“Hmmm?” Isobel hummed, not really listening, she was more focused on the feel of Krystal’s fingers running absentmindedly through her hair.

“We should leave before your manager gets in,” Krystal tugged her hair lightly.

Isobel chuckled and stood up, “Okay.”

The two of them exited the room, hand-in-hand, only to come face to face with a fuming Jessica Jung.  She was still standing by the coffee machine. 

“YAH! JUNG SOOJUNG!”

Krystal flinched, “Oops.”