The Waiting Game

Stepping Stones

After telling the ambulence their location, Jongin's heart began to beat out of his chest. The ill singer had vomitted all over the floor, coughing and crying out loud. At this point, it was obvious- Kyungsoo had appendicitis. The fact that Kai hadn't noticed it earlier made him want to clash his head against a wall on purpose. 

It was nearly impossible to calm down his hyung, when he, at the same time, was doing his best not to explode of worry. He wrapped his hands around D.O and held him close, tears starting to trickle down his face. 

The door to the EXO dorm opened a few moments later, a medical team with a stretcher rushing in. They tenderly lifted Kyungsoo out of Kai's arms and onto the portable bed, wheeling him out, while Jongin followed close behind. He was crying freely now, cursing at himself and watching his hyung's every move. 

D.O looked up at the dancer, giving a weak but sincere smile, as if to say, "don't worry". He then closed his eyes and drifted off. 

Jongin sobbed as he boarded the ambulence with the doctors, closing the doors and watching as the car sped towards the nearest hospital. He didn't even think about calling Joonmyeon, the manager, or anyone else to let them know what had happened. 

It had all been a blur from then on. All the dancer knew is that he was in the waiting room, playing the waiting game.

It was late at night now, but Kai was not even close to exhaustion, his concern keeping him awake as he stared at the white, plad walls of the room he was in. His tears had dried, and Jongin's eyes were bloodshot from his emotional explosion he had displayed earlier. 

How long had it been? Minutes? Hours? Kai shook his head, not wanting to dwell on it. He checked his phone. He felt guilty for not informing the others, but at the same time, he wasn't in the mood to inage in a conversation with his groupmates right now about the situation. His hands trembled as he began to write a message to Joonmyeon.

"Appendicitis. At the hospital. Please come back." 

Kai groaned, deleting the draft and turning off his phone. He hung his head, felling his eyes beginning to water again. How could he have not done more? It was all his fault that Kyungsoo was here, if only....if only...

He broke down again.