Chapter 1

An arrow right through my heart

Jimin loved a lot of things; being the literal bringer of love –the cupid required him to. He loved making people happy, loved seeing them holding hands and kissing under the rain, loved seeing both of them say their vows with tears in their eyes, liked seeing their happy smiles and love-struck stares. He loved all the aspects of his job and would never change it for the world, although there were times he envied Taehyung and Jungkook. They were angels and coincidentally his closest friends. Taehyung was the guardian of the animals and Jimin completely adored the boy. He was awfully nice, cheerful and so so gentle with animals. He always hugged the injured animals and reduced their pains and always sobbed loudly when they passed away  in his arms. Jungkook was the guardian of the children. He kept a close eye on kids, especially those whose family left them or abused them. He always appeared in their dreams and told them sweet stories to make them forget the real life for at least a few hours. He couldn’t change their lives drastically – those were the rules; help but never interfere.

Jimin had his set of rules too. Every time he’d hear the familiar ringing sound in his ears, he had to go to the place his fluffy wings would take him to. Then he’d find the people who he had to make fall in love and shoot his arrow at them. After that he had nothing to do – the rest was the humans’ business and he had no right to interfere. He also didn’t have a right to interfere when a certain someone appeared out of nowhere like an unpleasant dark cloud (he liked clouds usually, but he definitely didn’t trust them after the lightning incident (it might or might not have been Namjoon being clumsy and not owning up to it)).  

 

xxx

 

Jimin sighed when he found Hyojin and Heeyeon just as in love as he left them a month ago. Normally cupids didn’t visit their humans; it was no use they finished their job the moment their people fell in love. Jimin wasn’t like that. He enjoyed visiting them from time to time. He loved finding out that his humans were happy and in love. It was all that mattered to him. For now he was standing on the windowsill and looking at the girls in front of him with a proud smile. Hyojin was spinning Heeyeon in her arms as the younger girls was laughing loudly. They just moved in together and were moving around their belongings when Heeyeon decided to turn on some music and they ended up dancing for an hour. Jimin was very pleased to see them like that. He worried so much for them at the beginning. They went through a lot and he was proud of them for not giving up on their love.

Suddenly there was a distinct sound in his head. It was time to work. He shot them one last look as he opened his big pink wings, which matched his cotton-candy pink hair very well, and took off.

He appeared in the middle of a coffee shop. He immediately noticed the person he was needed for. They always had a certain aura around them which made his job very easy. The boy had dark hair and several piercing in his ears. He was sipping his coffee while reading something on his laptop. Then the chirping sound of the bells was heard and Jimin spotted the second person. It was a white haired boy with his sides shaved. Huh, so the opposites. Jimin had long separated couples into categories and this one matched the ‘opposites attract’ a bit too much. The white haired boy, or Jackson as it was his name, was blabby and was currently clinging to a short-haired girl who was jokingly punching him. The other boy had the whole ‘hard to get’ aura around him. They were tough to work with, but Jimin loved how much they changed after falling in love.

Jimin took one arrow from his quiver. He pulled the string and released the arrow. The arrow shot Jaebum right in the heart. He looked up and saw Jackson standing at the counter. His breath hitched and his heart begun beating faster.

Jimin smiled triumphantly and shot Jackson next. The boy locked eyes with Jaebum and was too out of it to notice that his coffee was being handed to him. His friend pulled him out of his trance telling him how embarrassing he was before guiding the boy to a table. Jackson was positively blushing.

Jimin leaned on the counter and waited for the either boys to speak to the other. He didn’t know who’d go first. The thing was he didn’t know the future. He knew his humans’ past. One look at them was enough for him to know their pasts. The only one who knew both their future and the past was Seokjin – the god of love and beauty, who was also his boss. Cupids were allowed to only know about past, while the others – anti-cupids only knew the future.

Speaking of them, one just appeared right across him in the middle of the coffee shop. Min Yoongi. Jimin loved many things but never Min Yoongi, his arch-nemesis. Seokjin laughed at him when he called him that but it was the truth. While Jimin gave love to people, Yoongi took it from them. He never cared how hurt they’d be or how much effort and time Jimin used to get them together. Most cases weren’t as easy as the loves at first sight like with Jaebum and Jackson. Most of them took time, so seeing Yoongi so happily destroy the couples he worked hard on annoyed him to no end.

Yoongi spotted him with no problem.

“Long time no see, angelboy.”

“Just yesterday you broke up Minseok and Luhan,” stated Jimin half-annoyed.

That bastard just smirked, probably remembering how Jimin was too shocked to talk properly and opened his mouth multiple times with no sound coming out when Minseok said he couldn’t do it anymore.

Jimin frowned. Today was such a good day, why did Yoongi feel like ruining it?

Just as Yoongi took his eyes off Jimin and took an arrow from his quiver, Jimin belatedly realized why he was there. Jaebum and Jackson.

“Don’t you dare!” Jimin took a step forward trying to look intimidating. His white tunic and pink hair didn’t help him at all.

Yoongi looked at him with a smirk on his lips. He pulled the arrow and stared at Jimin.

“Don’t you dare Min Yoongi! I just got them to…”

“Oops,” said Yoongi staring unblinking at Jimin as he let go of the arrow.

It hit Jaebum right in the heart. The boy who only a second ago was thinking of a way to talk to the white haired boy, sobered up and told himself that the girl was probably his girlfriend and since he was late for a class, got his stuff and left the coffee shop. Jimin’s arrow on Jackson’s heart turned into a grey dust and disappeared.

Jimin was furious. Yoongi still had the smirk on as he put the bow behind his back.

“Was nice seeing you again, angleboy,” said he taking off.

“I’m a demi-god and you damn well know it!” shouted angry Jimin to no one in particular.

 

xxx

 

Their next meeting was no better. After checking up on the elderly couple he matched 50 years ago, he found his new match in the school yard. The boy’s name was Baekhyun. The boy had been in love with the same girl for 3 years now. Jimin would feel bad for him, except today was the day the boy’s pining would come to an end. He was assigned to match him with Taeyeon. Jimin couldn’t wait to see that radiant smile on the boy’s face.

Baekhyun’s friend was playing guitar as he was singing a song, but he didn’t know that Taeyeon was sitting right behind him – being hidden by the huge oak tree. Taeyeon was listening to his voice with a small smile on her face and Jimin knew that that was the right time to shot the arrow. Before the arrow could even reach Taeyeon a different arrow crushed it to the ground. Jimin looked and saw none other than Min Yoongi. Great.

“What the hell?”

“Ouch, are you even allowed to say that?” asked the amused boy who was leaning on his bow.

Jimin rolled his eyes.

“And are you allowed to stop my arrows before they even hit the target?”

“Well, I’m not but where’s the fun in that?” the smirk made his long waited appearance.

Jimin was fuming. How dare he?!

“You can’t just mess with me every time you feel like it. Baekhyun and Taeyeon would make a great couple and Baekhyun pinned long enough to get his feelings reciprocated.”

“Tough luck.”

Jimin tired to calm down and begun rubbing his eyes.

“Look, I know that you get a weird form of enjoyment from making my work go in vain, but consider the humans just once, alright?”

“I’m considering them. It’s my job, angel,” said Yoongi with an uncharacteristic seriousness in his voice.

“Is it your job also to make fun of me?”

“Nah, that’s my hobby.”

Yoongi had the audacity to wink at Jimin before taking off.  Jimin was still pouting as he went off to his other humans.

 

xxx

 

For two days things were alright, but just like many good things, they ended too. This time Jimin was really close to saying that he hated the boy – a word he never used.

He was sitting on Jongdae’s bed as the boy was skyping his boyfriend Yixing, who had been studying in China for 2 years now. They didn’t want to break up (Jimin heaved a sigh of relief when Yoongi didn’t appear until the moment the plane took off) so they had been in a long distant relationship ever since. Jimin admired them and frankly they were one of his most favourite couples.

 Jimin heard a sound coming from the computer which he already knew by heart; the sound of Yoongi’s wings. It couldn’t be…

He came to stand behind Jongdae only to see Yoongi on the screen right next to Yixing getting his arrow ready.

“Nononononono. Don’t do it, Yoongi!”

Yoongi stopped for a second before resuming to pulling the arrow.

“Yoongi, please. I worked so hard on them. You can’t just break them up, please,” Jimin was never the type to plead but he was desperate.

He was the one made them fall in love, the one who appeared both in Jongdae’s and Yixing’s dreams and sub-consciousness to tell them that they’d work it out, that their love was worth the trouble. He was risking his job but he didn’t care as long as they would stay together. They were the perfect match.

Yoongi looked at the screen for a millisecond before letting go o the arrow. The deed was done.

“I want to break up, Jongdae. I’m really sorry but I’m too tired. This is too difficult.”

Yixing begun crying and apologizing nonstop as Jongdae tried hard to swallow the tears that were trying to come out. They were both sobbing while Jimin was frozen.

They broke up. Yoongi broke them up. There were many times during their 100 years of history when Yoongi broke up his couples, but it never hurt this much. This time it felt personal. At first he kept telling himself, that it was just Yoongi’s job, what he was supposed to do but now it felt like Yoongi did it on purpose. In a week Yoongi broke up 3 couples and he really could let the ious two slide, but not this one.

 Yixing didn’t have a family and never felt at home, so when he had the chance, he migrated to South Korea hoping to silence the pain in his heart with the new surroundings. There too he didn’t feel like he belonged until Jongdae came along. For the first time in his life Yixing felt like someone needed him, like he was important and it was all thanks to Jongdae. They made the best couple and they were very happy, before Yixing got a chance to get his Master’s in US. He wanted to decline but Jongdae was there for him telling him that no matter what he’d wait for him. And he did. How many times Jimin heard them sigh seeing a happy couple passing by? How many times he found Jongdae crying while hugging Yixing’s shirt? How many times he saw Yixing packing his things with tears in his eyes before unpacking and settling to finishing his education? And all because Yixing didn’t feel like he deserved to be with Jongdae. Always wanting to become better in order to not be left behind just like he was by his parents.

Jimin couldn’t help but feel like a part of him got murdered just like their relationship.

“You disgust me, Min Yoongi.”

With those words Jimin disappeared and now it was Yoongi’s turn to feel like his heart had been crushed into pieces.