First and Last

The Paper Boat

~Jin's POV~

I was sitting on a bench in a station from a little village where my bike had broken. I was surrounded by tall trees and little colorful flowers which were hiding the busy bees. The nature sound was slowly creeping into my ears as I was taking off my ears phones.

I started to walk to a little black bench covered in roses on the right part. I sat on the left part and stared at the beautiful red flowers. As I was admiring them I started questioning myself how such beautiful things can become something painful. I tried to take one, but as expected I hurt myself in the flower's thorn. I saw how the little drop of blood was messing my finger tip.

Right before the drop fell on the ground I heard someone singing a song. I tried to follow the voice and at the end of the small forest I saw a long beach and in front of me was a boy who was making a paper boat. I found this a bit weird. A teenager making a paper boat in the middle of a beach singing a sad song.

"Why are you doing a paper boat?" I asked as I was approaching the boy. He looked at me a bit surprised, but he answered me that he wanted to get rid of something. He looked at me and patted the sand as a sign to come near him. "What are you trying to throw away?" I put a question once again hoping that I won't annoy him. He just smiled, a bitter smile, as he simply answered "A memory." I eyed him from head to toe and all I could see was a fragile body which was hiding something I couldn't describe, but I'm sure it was something which made the boy suffer. After the boat was finished he made his way to the sea and let the boat flowing. He stood there till the little paper was swallowed by the waves of the sea. When he turned I was really surprised to see a total different person. He was wearing a big smile which let his white teeth to be seen, his eyes were sparkling and you could see the small dimples from both his cheeks. He looked happy.

"The little boat took away my memory. It's an easier way to make the pain disappear." He took my hand in his and shook it while introducing himself.

After that encounter we became friends and spent all our holiday with each other. I found out that his name was Namjoon. We had so much fun, but unfortunately everything has an end, and so did our holiday. I had to return back to my home town, but I promised Namjoon that I'd come back.

 

~After an year~

As I had promised I returned to the place where I first saw him. I couldn't wait to meet him and go eat something because I was really hungry at that time. I started to run as the view of the beach could be seen. When I arrived there I couldn't believe what I saw. There he was standing in front of the beach watching a little paper boat sinking in the sea.

I went to him and tapped his shoulder. He turned to me "Can I help you with something?" In that moment everything was clear. He really forgot me. The boy I loved dearly had given up on me. He let go of our memories together. I just smiled at him and excused myself "I thought you were someone else, sorry. I must be wrong." I made a step to leave, but I stopped when I heard his voice again. "You seem familiar, did we meet before?" I wanted to cry. Just a simple phrase hurt me so much, but I was able to answer his question "I don't think so, maybe you're confusing me with someone else." As I finished my reply I hurried to leave that place and go back home.

Like roses have their thorns which hurt you in the end, happiness has its own sad end. Maybe it's true that there will never be a happy ending. But at least, you get memories which you'll choose whether to treasure or throw them away.