A Hint of Sweetness

A Hint of Sweetness
A Hint of Sweetness  

The sound of camera flash was starting to irritate her eyes but due to her tight upbringing; she succeed in maintaining her professionalism towards the cameras and journalists as she gave them a few side glances while waving at them.

Wearing a simple cream sleeveless mini dress with black laces at the end of dress and donning wedges with a small red wine handbag, she is getting ready to Osaka, Japan for magazine photo shoot coupled with being interviewed for her cameo appearance in the film Hunger for Love starring one of her group members, Sooyoung as an infamous romance writer.

After a few minutes or so, she is making her way into the airport while walking gracefully; praying she didn’t miss the flight due to this. She really missed her members at a time like this. Glancing on her left, a soft smile crept on her face. No, she should be glad her long-time manager is next to her.

Once settled everything from the luggage until the passport, she was being led by the stewardess to her seat. After murmuring ‘thank you’ to the friendly stewardess, she inhales a deep breath before exhales it slowly as she rested her head on the pillow at the back of her head. For a record, she didn’t think of anything at that time as the blackness engulfing her sight.

 


 

Due to his blasting alarm clock, he wakes up almost immediately with a nest hair and his mind was still fuzzy while his body was adjusting to normal function. Glancing at the empty spot next to him, he yawned still while stretching his body before slowly getting up from the bed. Then, he grabbed a towel from the rack and heading to the bathroom.

After changing into fresh clothes, he sat himself on the island table with a cup of hot black coffee and toast with jam to start his day while browsing his schedule in his iPad. His lips curled upward while doing small victory dance in his mind after finding out that his schedule today was being cancelled.

Piling the dishes after finishing his breakfast, he was about to wash the dirty dishes when his phone is ringing a familiar tune which only set for that person only. Swiping the green call to the left, he answered it with a delighted face.

“Morning, love. How are you?” He greets her warmly. He didn’t even attempt to hide the happiness from his voice and the caller on the other line can’t help but to laugh merrily.

“What makes you happy today? Is it because of I’m not there because if it is, you’ll be sleeping outside tonight.” She was trying to but his response is not like she expecting it.

His eyebrow raised in confusion. “Tonight? I thought you’re coming home tomorrow morning. Does the schedule changed?”

Lightly biting her tongue, she quickly explained herself. “Oh, I thought the photo session is going to end earlier than I thought so I asked my manager to book ticket home. Plus, it’s not fun touring Osaka without you beside me with our schedules keep overlapping these days.” Her tone sound sad and he couldn’t help but felt sorry for her.

However, these were requirements both of them agreed prior before they debut themselves as a celebrity. He even swapped his profession from being a singer to radio deejay at KDS Radio Broadcasting and earned himself a spot as a permanent after gaining loyal listeners during night session.

But it’s not the same for her who is one of popular girl’s group members since her job required her to tour all over the world to meet fans through concert and has to stay up till night for shooting drama or went to various locations for photo shoot and went to fan sign session event. Although it’s been more than ten years since her debut, she is merely a human who sometimes would break-down on his shoulder one day due to demanding of her job.

His voice went soft to comfort her. “Juhyun-ah, I don’t mind if you want to have fun on your own. I’m not a pushover husband for not allowing my wife to have her private time. Moreover, I heard yakiniku and ramen over there much tastier than the previous place we ate before. You should try it.”

Seohyun pouts. “You are trying to bribe me to go home tomorrow morning right, Luhan? I can see right through you.”

Luhan laughed and scratched his head while his mind juggling over the response he wants to give it to her. “I’m not bribing you. I’m worried about you.” He stopped to laugh shortly. “Its two different things. If you have time to rest, then grab this opportunity. I promise you, when you get home, I will be here; welcoming you with open arms.” He said with affection tone.

Seohyun’s face went redden like a ripe tomato. He knew how to touch her heart even though they are already married for more than two years now.

Before she even got a chance to reply, one of the crews asked her to come to the set for they are ready to start the photo shooting. She gave her a one minute signal before went back to her phone. “Alright, Luhan. I will be taking your advice and tell my manager to cancel my flight. I’ll see you tomorrow morning then. The photo shoot is going to start and I already can feel the soreness of my feet because of high heel.” She groaned before changing her voice into sweeter tone. “I love you.”

“I love you too. Take care, love.” Luhan ended the call while shaking his head, staring at his phone. “One of the reason I fell in love with you, Juhyun. Your firm attitude sometimes intriguing me and yet, shaping me for who I am today.” He murmured before resuming his abandoned task just now.

 


 

Wearing the snapback backward with a printed grey shirt paired with worn out jeans, he checked his last appearance in front of a full length-mirror. His lips curved upward with a hint of smirk. If he told people he was still in his 20s, they would believe him for sure.

His youthful appearance which has not been changed since the day he debuted earned himself a few of modelling for part-time job aside working as deejay radio. He wondered what if he lets his facial hair grow instead of shaving it, would he be in his current age now.

“What are you doing in front of mirror – that long? Admiring yourself much?” His wife nudged him on the shoulder playfully while pushing him to the side for her turn to check her appearance.

Luhan gave her a loving glance while checking her up and down. Wearing a similar clothes as him except for a snapback, she tied her hair in high ponytail is making her looks more casual than he thought. He loved looking at his wife looking like this instead of wearing flashy dress on the red carpet and hiding her innocent charm despite she is not that innocent anymore.

His wife.

His.

Now and then, he couldn’t believe himself that she is his for eternity.

From her fan and to her husband. He prays for that.

With poker face, he said. “You do know that I love you, right?” He announced it out of blue. Seohyun didn’t even blink her eyes and instead, staring at him straight into the eyes with a mischievous smile on her face.

“I do even without you saying it. Now, shall we go?” Seohyun strides ahead of him – leaving him sneered as he follows her from behind. He half-hugged her shoulder causing her to cast him a weird look.

“I can’t hug my wife?” He purposely asked the obvious question with oh-so-innocent face. He loved watching her face changing into ferocity expression especially when she was in the middle of wearing her flat shoes.

Seohyun slapped his left shoulder with loud smack as she huffed in anger. “You pick the wrong time to do so. And stop showing your puppy eyes – it won’t work on me anymore.” She gave him a warning look.

Luhan bites his lips from smiling as if she knew what he was going to do next. “Feisty wifey!” He exclaimed. “I surrender, my majesty, for I cannot withhold your fury no more. Shall this humble husband of yours – “ She laughed at his self-proclaimed but he went with it. “ – treat you an ice cream at the usual ice-cream shop in order to cool down your heat from burning me any longer?”

Seohyun laughed joyfully over her husband failure over acting and extending her hand to him. “Cheesy and way too much cheese. Where did you learn that? Please, don’t tell me your listeners gave you such tips to win over your wife’s heart.”

Luhan accepted her hand and squeezed it lightly. “Am I doing a good job in winning your heart then?” He grinned triumphantly.

She placed a quick peck on his cheek as a token of appreciation. “Yes, you do. But please, refrain yourself from saying such words. It really gives me goose bump when those words coming from your mouth.”

“I can’t promise anything, love.” And both of them step into the car.

 


 

Luhan is pushing the trolley, waiting for his wife who is pulling out the list of groceries from her pocket. Both of them agreed to start with fruits and vegetables section as they are near to them.

Both of them were acting casual like any other normal couple who occasionally bickering over price or which one should or shouldn’t buy. Luhan being sneaky; showing a very large radish flaunting at her stating that she left her leg here; earning a loud whack from Seohyun who was holding a plastic of celery.

“How dare you compare my leg with radish?” Seohyun fumed while Luhan was having so much fun by teasing her.

A few glances and whispering were directing at their way especially towards Seohyun but instead of approaching her, they were watching her having her time with a person she loved. A few of them tried to recognize the man’s face but failed although they have a hunch they knew this man who stole Girls’ Generation youngest member who is known to be a private person..

Luhan was watching her put a couple of tomato in the plastic when he noticed other’s eyes were on them whenever he glances at other customers. He looked at her with admiration.

“Juhyun, you have fans here at supermarket especially among middle-aged women who kept looking over here.” He grinned.

Seohyun merely nodded; still doing her work. “Thank you for notice that. Okay, I’m done here. Let’s head to dry ingredients. By the way, I found out that you have finished all the flour at home. What were you doing?”

Both of them were walking side to side; ignoring those glances but occasionally, toss smiles at them. Luhan adjusting the glasses on his face while maintaining his small smile.

“Your parents stop by after visiting your grandmother. Mother and I were practically busy at the kitchen, making seafood pancake with the ingredients father bought from the supermarket.”

Seohyun affirm. “This is why mom called me the other day saying that I was lucky to have you. I wonder why because you’re immature, prankster and quite picky.” She gave him a doubting expression; much to his dismay.

“I agree with the first and second but the last one?! I am not picky!” He was trying to defend himself but his wife still looks unsure.

“You’re sure about that, Luhan? You even put aside the broccoli and carrot altogether before making it into a big smiley. Are you a still child?” She already crossed her arm with tightened expression but inside her heart, she was exploding with laughter.

Luhan was grinning like a Cheshire grin. He didn’t even feel intimidated by his wife playful expression. She may be a good actress but he lived with her long enough to know she was just kidding.

“Child who is craving for love and affection.” He winked before continued. “Love, if we are still at home, I might be pouncing at you right now. Your loveable face looks so cute that I really want to kiss you badly right now.” He still smiling; more like seductive smiles because her face was reddened bright until it reaches the top of her head. He shook his head and using his right hand to push her back – signaling her to continue their shopping.

She was still silent – probably due to embarrassment or angry, he didn’t know but what he knows, he was at the top of table despite she’s the one who started it. Oh, he loved this woman!

 


 

His radio slot always started at 8 in the night so he would prepared to his working station early around 6.30 in the evening to avoid jam where people would likely getting back home from work. After taking clean shower and changed into comfortable clothes consisting white long sleeves shirt with imprinted word and worn-out jeans, he shuffled out from the room and heading to the kitchen.

As soon as he puts his eyes on someone’s back at the kitchen, he was dumbfounded to find his wife was busy preparing something whom usually isn’t at home around this time.

“Juhyun? You’re early today.” He greeted her in amaze and confusion.

Seohyun turned around with a smile on her face. She was wearing sky blue apron with cloud image imprinted on it. She signaled him to sit at the island table while she was holding a tray filled with a bowl of vegetable soup, a bowl of rice and a few side dishes to complete the dinner.

“My schedule ended earlier and I went to local market to buy fresh ingredients but since you’re going to be late for work, I can only prepare these. However, I will make it up to you after you got home later.” She looked perplexed when he didn’t give any response.

“Hey, eat your dinner already. Gyujin oppa is going to be mad at you if you are late. Besides, I heard there is an accident near the road you’re always taking to the work. I’m pretty sure he will finding another way round to avoid traffic jam.” She placed her hand on top of his hand while giving a light squeeze.

Luhan who is coming to his senses – nodded lightly. “Ye – yeah. Still haven’t getting out of the fact that you’re here. Thank you, Juhyun for this dinner.” He took a sip of the soup before giving her a big thumb up.

 


 

Watching the radio producer showed him a 5 second signal before closing down to 1 and he took it as a cue to start his radio session that night. Luhan greeted his listeners with his soothing voice – the exact voice he did during promotion as one of EXO members before he decided not to re-new the contract and pursuing more low-profile job after consulting with s.

“Good evening, my loyal and new listeners. I’m DJ Han who is going to accompany you this evening with my oh-so-soothing voice and don’t you deny it because it is.” He laughed a bit before continue speaking through microphone.

“As usual, before I start ‘Lending Your Ear’ session, we’re going to listen to music which some of you have sent request for me to play during our radio session. An addition, I will be reading a few notes which have been included with the song request.

The first song request I’m going to play is from Mr. Yong who working overtime today with a side note is saying ‘Have a nice day, DJ Han and those who is listening to this radio. No matter where you are, always remember to stay positive and free of negative mind.’ Why, thank you, Mr. Yong for a short motivation quote. I’ll be sure to hold on to your words every time I start to feel down. Shall we play the song?” He clicked on the song displayed on the computer screen and the song Seo Taeji and the Boys – Anyways Song is playing in the background.

While the song is playing, he is skimming the script provided by the writer with intent. The phone which set on silent mode was blinking implied that he received a notification. He checked it almost quickly in case he got distracted whilst the song is playing.

Slowly, a soft, fluttering smile is appearing on his face and he almost squealing due to his wife’s cuteness act. She sent a picture of her with a small hand-made cake which she wrote ‘DJ Han got me falling in love again’ referring to their collaboration with TTS sub-unit and EXO for SMTown concert.

He totally forgot that tomorrow will be his birthday and that is why she got home early so she could prepared this early event in case she will be late to celebrate with him tomorrow. He really wants to shower her face with peppery kisses to show how much he loved her.

They don’t have to celebrate with luxury even though they could afford it because this small event is enough to make his heart fluttering and brings him back at the moment where he fell in love at the first sight as he laid his eyes on her regardless at that time he was a junior while she was a senior.

Noticing thirty seconds before the song ended, he resumed his position with fixated position and get ready to continue his work. Then, he proceeded with a few other requests and interacted with a few callers who call in to send their requests personally through verbal. To lighten up the atmosphere, he even makes a few jokes to his loyal listener despite reading their ID registered name.

When the clock strikes 8 in the evening, he officially started ‘Lending Your Ear’ which the listeners could send their worries or even exchange their advice to the worries he would be reading or vice versa. Today featured topic is ‘How to make your marriage last?’.

“I will be reading next worries which an ID name called ‘HunHan96 send to me. The person said he has been courting his wife for the past two years and she finally said yes. Getting through their 2nd year anniversary, both of them started to notice each other’s bad sides and if they didn’t get into argument once in a day, the day isn’t completed. Both of them tried to tolerate but it always ended up in sour mood. Can you give me an advice how to solve our problem because he really loved his wife and vice versa.

Mr. HunHan96, to tell you the truth, I’m also a married man and in two months will be our 3rd year anniversary. I have to admit, the journey to get there wasn’t beautiful but not rough either. If both of you were striving hard to make this marriage work, I think you’ll succeed in making your marriage last. In life, we will taste sweet, sour, bitter, and salty and some of taste which I didn’t experienced yet but using those tastes as a guide, you’ll be leading not you but your loved one to the right path.

Give and take is main dish in every relationship and I am not emphasizing only romance but among family and friends. A hint of sweetness in bitter life is better than no taste at all. Oh, sorry dear listeners! I might get distracted from our topic but do send a few encouraging words to this person so they can have a wonderful marriage like they dreamed of prior.

Before I ended this segment, I would like to say thank you for sending encouraging comments and some of you were taken aback when I said that I’m already married. Yes, I am happily married to the person I loved and I couldn’t reveal her identity for some personal reasons. Do respect my privacy and pray for our happiness and I will do the same. The last song I will be playing to close today segment is Super Junior – Marry You and I will be listening to you guys the day after tomorrow. Good night dear listeners!” And Luhan ended it with the song play in the background.

He lets out a long relief sigh as he puts down the headphone on the table. The sight of someone standing next to him causes him to look up at his manager who is crossing his arm with confusion yet smiling expression.

“What? Sooner or later, I will be telling them that I’m married. Since my profile is kept private and no one has ever seen DJ Han before, I am safe for now. I am worried for Seohyun.”

His manager, Gyujin snickered as he ruffled his hair into a mess. “The pictures of her shopping with a man at supermarket few days ago were already released on the press yet no one pressed her to tell the identity of the mysterious man. They even congratulated the man for finally winning the Girls’ Generation maknae who is known to be private person regarding her love life. Congratulations~ “ He playfully, earning a deathly glare from Luhan who is getting ready to get home.

Luhan scoffed sarcastically. “Indeed congrats to me so I hope those who think they can have way with my wife has to walk over my dead body.”

“They were her loyal fans, Luhan. No need to get mad.” Both of them were walking side by side to the elevator.

“Right – loyal fans. Declaring love to her is also called fans?”

Gyujin nudged his shoulder while shaking his head. “You used to be her fan! A hint of sweetness my !”

“Hey, my wife loved me for that!”

 

 
 
 
 
author's notes
Fuh~ Done this done that and the clock strike 2.15 am. Do forgive me if there any mistake since I'm supposed to post this as soon as I put up the poster. Anyway, enjoy this short story and do give your opinion. Annyeong! ^^v