Red

Phoenix and Roses

The first visit of Kyungsoo to his house was scary, he didn’t know what exactly the other was testing and Chanyeol wasn’t of help either at least and for some lucky coincidence his father was away on a commercial affair for exactly a month.

“Don’t be so nervous” Kyungsoo said when they were alone in the rose’s garden drinking some tea.

“I’m sorry” Baekhyun said shyly.

“Where does your father make trades to?” the other asked calmly and when he answered all started to flow that day and the followings.

Kyungsoo directed the conversation to diverse themes and even when it seemed it had no specific point to it for Kyungsoo it has its logic and reason. He knew that Baekhyun couldn’t be for instant one the perfect match for a King but if he has the talent all the other didn’t really matter, however he was pleasingly surprised that the boy was actually educated in quite some themes, like the son of a merchant he knew about commerce a lot, he also knew about politics and arts, he drew and played several music instruments, honestly he was very impressed by his polished education and plus to all that it was Baekhyun presence, he was quite the beauty with his white flawless skin and his auburn hair all completed by his refined manners, in a week he had come to a conclusion, he was really material to be the consort of a King.

The following visits were just because he actually got along with Baekhyun.

“I will not coming for a while” Kyungsoo said one day when they were in the rose’s garden.

“Why?” Baekhyun asked confused.

“The month already passed” the other answered. “And I need to go to talk with my uncle” Baekhyun eyes suddenly widened and Kyungsoo chuckled at the sight.

“Does that mean…?”

“Yes, you passed the test” Baekhyun lurched forward and hugged Kyungsoo tightly while laughing happily.

**

Kyungsoo parted to the Red Desert at the same time that Chanyeol left in a mission what made him feel lonely and worried about Chanyeol wellbeing.

“What are you doing, sweetie?” his mom asked taking seat beside him in the rose’s garden.

“Uh…nothing really” he said taking a glance at the book that was in his lap and hadn’t been reading. “Do you think Kyungsoo hyung will convince the King?” he asked after a pause.

“I think… Kyungsoo knows his way with words I doubt he could have a problem” she answered with a smile. “I still don’t believe all this is happening” his mom added.

“Me neither, it’s scary” Baekhyun answered.

The word barely described all what he was feeling, excitement, fear, joy. Because he of all persons, the son of a merchant, a very rich one but still, was going to possible marry the Crown Prince of the Red Desert.

“Your father’s letter just arrived” Hyemin said suddenly.

“Oh… and what he said?” the boy asked nervous, his father who was away on a business trip had been informed about the situation but because how far he was, to the Boreal Lands, the letter had took three weeks in being delivered and another two weeks in coming back.

“He asked if we are joking” his mom chuckled. “But he is as nervous as us” she added.

“Do you think I really could be a god match for a King?” Baekhyun voiced his concern out loud for the first time since Chanyeol told him about his royal blood.

“I know you would and I’m not saying this because I’m your mom, I think you are smart and kind and also we have Kyungsoo approval”

“Thanks, mom” he said really grateful for the words.

**

Chanyeol returned first from the mission and with just a small wound in his arm that still freaked out Baekhyun.

While waiting for Kyungsoo answer from the Red Desert both have the opportunity to assist to a wedding of Chanyeol’s friends, Minho and Taemin. Like it was tradition for all Knights the wedding was held in front of the Sacred Tree, it was beautiful and both were so in love and the whole ceremony made Baekhyun want to marry the more, the wait for Kyungsoo answer turned more tortuous but at least now his father has completely stopped his haunt for a fiancé for him.

His father had met Chanyeol a week after he had arrived from his travel to the Boreal Lands and it was one of the most unnerving moments in Baekhyun life. He had been in the rose’s garden with Chanyeol when his father arrived home from a business he had early in the morning and he had went to the garden to look for him when he noticed the Knight.

“Good afternoon, my name is Park Chanyeol, it’s an honor to meet you” the Knight had said politely. Byun Banryu was usually a confident and rather boisterous man so it was strange for his son to observe him making a deep bow to an awkward Chanyeol. “It’s not necessary, sir”

“I’m Byun Banryu, it’s an honor to meet you, your highness” he said making the Knight more uncomfortable.

“Father, just call him Chanyeol” Baekhyun said then trying to lighten the mood.

“I don’t know if it’s appropriate…”

“It’s is, please just call me by my name” Chanyeol added. It took a little more convincing but finally Banryu felt more comfortable with the Knight though he kept somehow his words a little too polite.

Baekhyun was happy to see his father interacting with Chanyeol and also was happy to have fulfilled his wish of marrying someone noble and someone who he also loved but for Banryu he felt happy to see his son so happy and also guilty for have tried to force so many suitors on his son before.

**

The first thing he did when he arrived to the Red Desert was to ask for an audience with his uncle and he knew he would receive an answer like ´Why on earth are you asking for an audience when I’m your uncle?´ but Kyungsoo was a man of manners and his uncle still was the King.

When he was told he will be receive the next day he prepared carefully his words and kept repeating them in his head when he entered the Throne Hall where the King received him.

“Nice to see you, Kyungsoo” the King talked to him casually with a smile. “What brings you here today?”

“It’s about Chanyeol…” he started carefully and saw how his uncle got a little anxious.

“Something happens to him?”

“No, he is not hurt or something like that” Kyungsoo answered. “My King, Chanyeol wants to marry with a boy he met at Muyeokdo. They have been seeing each other for almost two years now and if my opinion is something you want to take in consideration in this matter Byun Baekhyun has all to be a good consort for a King, even when he is not noble by blood his family is one of rich merchants, his education is the finest and his manners the best, also his appearance is delightful” he said all that he had prepared without missing a beat and the King seemed deep in thought at all his speech.

“How much they love each other?” the King asked after a minutes confusing Kyungsoo with his question. “I know that this most surely freaked you out and I understand why, Chanyeol is impulsive and he doesn’t understand how his weeding will affect the kingdom, and I’m sure that even understanding all this he would not change his mind so can you tell me how much they love each other?”

“They are stupid” Kyungsoo said and the King laughed loud. “Chanyeol is stupid enough to forget his duty as Crown Prince because he felt in love with Baekhyun and even had the nerve to ask me to intercede in his name and Baekhyun is stupid enough to accept to marry Chanyeol without even knowing that he is the heir of a kingdom, they are stupid and madly in love”

“Well then I would like to meet Byun Baekhyun” the King said with a gentle smile.

“Does that mean…?”

“Yes, and you know if the Crown Prince is going to marry someone who is not noble I don’t see a reason why his future counselor couldn’t do the same”

Kyungsoo face lit up red so suddenly that it was hilarious and before the King can add something else his nephew had already bowed and left.

“Oh the youth” the King said to himself with a soft chuckle.

**

After he read the letter he received from Kyungsoo he almost rushed to Baekhyun house but his friends prevented him to do so because they thought that to ask for the hand of Baekhyun in front of his parents required a little more of impact so all his guard dressed in their Knights attires made a procession with Chanyeol at the front to the Byun’s residence.

The Byun were having lunch at the garden when they hear the horns of the Knights, it wasn’t an unfamiliar sound in Muyeokdo where every now and then a parting guard will blare them but the sound was in front of their house and right after it a maid enter the garden.

“My lord, a group of Knights wants to speak with you, one is named Park Chanyeol” the young maid said shyly and at the mention of the name Baekhyun tensed.

“Let them in, please” the lord of the house said and the maid went to let them in. Byun Banryu has a serious expression while Hyemin just held his son hand to calm him down. Soon the group of Knights entered the garden with Chanyeol in the front.

“Good afternoon my lord” Chanyeol said. “I’m sorry to interrupt like this but I have something really important to ask you.”

“What it is?” Banryu asked.

“I would like to ask for your son hand in marriage” the Knight said with smile.

“I said why don’t you ask him if he wants” the man answered with a warm smile to his son who smiled in return. Chanyeol walked to Baekhyun and went on his knees in front on him.

“Baekhyun, would you marry me?” he asked taking Baekhyun hands in his and nervous as he didn’t already know the answer.

“Yes, I would like to marry you” the boy answered almost crying and then hugged the Knight tightly too shy to kiss him in front of his parents.

After their engagement they parted to the Red Desert where the royal family waited for them, not only Baekhyun and his family where heading there, also Chanyeol had managed to take his guard with him because he wanted them to be present in his engagement ceremony.

The travel to the Red Desert took them four days instead of the six days thanks to some on Yoona spells. They arrived at the dawn when the rising sun seemed to burn in fire the Red Desert making a breathtaking sight.

The royal family was awaiting for them at the Phoenix Palace and welcomed them warmly.

“My son, it’s good to see you” the King said embracing his son and then his mom and her sister did the same. “Where is he?”

“Father, this is Byun Baekhyun and these are his parents” Chanyeol introduced them and the three bowed deeply to the King.

“I have hear good things about you and your parents, Baekhyun” Myungyeol said to the boy with a smile kind of understanding his son liking toward him. “And I’m happy to see you here as well” he said to the Knights that stood behind. “I remember you, Captain Jonghyun and…”

“What the are you doing here, Jongin?!” Kyungsoo voice interrupted and all turned to him where the called was trying to hug him.

“I was invited by Chanyeol” the tanned male answered still trying to hug the smaller. “Are not happy to see me?”

“Don’t mind them, they are always like that” Jongdae said and the King laughed.

“Let’s go inside so you can rest and then we will eat” the Queen said with a kind smile and all followed inside.

After they freshened and rest for a little they joined the royal family to eat something at the garden of the palace, while eating they talked about the engaging ceremony and how long they will stay.

“The ceremony will be held in three days” the Queen said. “All are very excited about that though I have to say you break the heart of our girls when we announced your engagement, darling” she said teasing to her son.

“Mom!”

“But when all see how beautiful Baekhyun is they will be so happy. There is so much to prepare for the ceremony but don’t worry I will take care of all” Chanmi was actually very excited about planning the ceremony. “In the while you can show all the Red Desert, I’, sure they would love it”

Chanyeol did as his mother told him and showed around the place to all. They visited the many oasis of the desert and greeted the people around who were very excited to meet the Prince fiancé and the Knights that came from the Sacred City.

**

A night before the engagement ceremony Chanyeol was looking for Baekhyun around the palace, he hadn’t see him since the diner and was a little worried at that. After some minutes of searching he was surprised to find him at a little garden beside his room, he noticed that the garden was full of roses and Baekhyun was juts seated under a tree and looking at the stars.

“Hey” Chanyeol called softly and the boy looked at him.

“Hey” Baekhyun answered as the taller took seat beside him.

“What are you doing here alone?” the prince asked while cuddling Baekhyun to his side. “Aren’t you cold here?”

“A little” he admitted snuggling more to Chanyeol. “I was just thinking”

“About tomorrow?”

“I’m nervous” Baekhyun said, he was feeling nervous since he arrived to the Red Desert and even when he fell in love with the place he also felt scared about the fact that a big responsibility was about to be placed on his shoulders and he wasn’t sure if he could do it correctly.

“I’m too” Chanyeol said. “But… I’m excited too because after tomorrow you will be my fiancé and after we are going to marry and I hadn’t said this I think… but I really love you a lot, Baek. We have known each other for almost three years but I have love you since I see you for the first time…” he was interrupted by Baekhyun lips on his. It was a tender kiss, the words that Chanyeol had told him made the boy remembered why he was there in the first place.

“I love you too”

He was there not because the roll he had to fulfill, he was there because he loved Chanyeol more than anyone else and it just happened that he was the heir of a kingdom but if he had him by his side then nothing else really mattered.

**

The ceremony was held in the Phoenix Palace in front of all the people of the Red Desert who were celebrating the engagement of their Crown Prince. All the place was decorated with red and gold and the joy was in the air.

Chanyeol hadn’t see Baekhyun since the morning and was becoming more nervous as the time passed.

“Don’t worry and stop pulling at your robes” Jonghyun scolded him.

“I’m just nervous”

“It will be ok, try to relax” Minho said with a smile. “I was really nervous at my wedding as well but I can assure you all will be fine”

“Thanks” Chanyeol said with a smile.

“Why you listen to him and not me?” Jonghyun asked offended. “I’m your captain!”

“Minho is more convincing” Chanyeol shrugged.

“Ready?” Kyungsoo asked popping in the room Jongin tailing behind him.

“Yes, I think so”

“Good, it’s time for the ceremony then”

All went to the front of the palace where all were waiting, the Knights took their place to the right of the royal family who stood in the middle, Chanyeol a little more in the front waiting for Baekhyun who entered shortly after guided by his parents till he took place beside Chanyeol holding hands and then the ceremony started.

“My people,” the King started. “Today we are reunited here to celebrate a very important occasion, the engagement of our Crown Prince with Byun Baekhyun” at his words there was a loud cheering. “First let’s hear their votes”

“I, Park Chanyeol, Prince Crown of the Red Desert on this day promise to marry you one day” he said looking at Baekhyun. “I love you and always will and with you by my side I’m sure I will be a better King”

“I, Byun Baekhyun, son of a merchant of Muyeokdo promise to marry you one day, I love you and will do my best to be a good consort for you and for the people of the Red Desert” both looked to each other tenderly.

“Now, I, Park Myungyeol, King of the Red Desert declare this engagement complete, please kiss” shyly Chanyeol neared Baekhyun and holding his waist he kissed him lovingly. “ Let’s celebrate!”

The celebration that started in the afternoon went on all day till the night and when Baekhyun and Chanyeol can finally be alone they went to the little rose’s garden beside Baekhyun dorm and hugging they watched the firework that had started since the sun went down.

“It’s so pretty” Baekhyun said observing the lights on the sky.

“You are pretty” Chanyeol answered staring at the smaller who blushed.

“Cheesy” the boy said.

“You love it” the prince teased.

“I love you” the boy answered and received a kiss back, a deep kiss one that make him tremble and took his breath away and when Chanyeol parted made him felt dizzy.

“I love you too”

 

 

 

 

This is the first story of these epic series that doesn't have a wedding ending, I just couldn't write it just yet but their history will probably not end here, must likely there will be another chapter or oneshot to finish this, I hope you enjoy anyway. For now I'm happy to announce that I'm continuing these series with a HunHan story, Satrry Night will be up next, I'm really excited for this chapter, thanks for all the views, subscribe and if you enjoy please comment!