Done Waiting

Done Waiting

"Please, do this for me?" she asked, her brown eyes turning soft and pleading.

"I can't, you know that, Eunmi!" Sungmin said, his arms firmly crossed over his chest.

They were standing in the kitchen of their shared apartment, fighting...again.

It wasn't the first time and he was sure that it wouldn't be the last. They always had something to fight about. Normally it was petty things; where they were going to dinner, something stupid that he had said while he was distracted by TV or music. Arguments kept their relationship interesting, so he let most of them go. And so did she. Two people couldn't be happy all the time. No, life just didn't operate like that.

But this argument had happened multiple times. It was one of those problems that they could never solve. Not in their three years of a good relationship. It had always been there, haunting them. Sungmin had hoped that it wouldn't get as far as it did, but he was let down. It was the only serious thing they fought over, and it could destroy them.

"Would you please tell them you can't go? Stay, just this once?" Eunmi begged again. Her hands had found their way to her slender hips and her loose curls bounced around her face as she tilted her head to the side. Sungmin saw the danger in the gesture. When her hands went to her hips, Eunmi meant business. He had seen the posture countless of times. Mostly when she had to deal with his over bearing mother who kept harping on them about marriage and kids. But that wasn't possible. Not with Sungmin's job.

"You know I can't, I'm sorry but they need me," Sungmin argued. It was the truth, he was part of the group and while they could perform without him it wasn't fair to them or the fans. Unless he was dead or dying he was on that stage with his brothers, giving his heart to the rest of the world while the woman who had always had his heart stayed behind.

Deep down, he knew it wasn't fair. He had lost track of the number of times that he had had to leave Eunmi behind during something important. Her birthday, a job promotion, her best friend's wedding. This time though, this time he wasn't going to be weasel his way out of it. They had celebrated her birthday early, and he had made sure to congratulate her over the phone on the promotion. He was glad that one of her best friend's from high school had been there to take his place when the wedding came around. He wasn't exactly enthralled by the fact that his girlfriend had gone with another man, but it was better than her having to go alone.

"What about me, Sungmin? Huh? I need you too! It's our three year anniversary for Christ's sake!" she yelled. They were far past the point of logical discussion now. This was all fueled by emotion. Pent up frustration at year's of accommodating his job as one of Korea's super stars.

"I'm sorry, Eunmi. But this is my life, they're my life, the fans are my life. This is my job, I have a responsibility to it," Sungmin explained. It softened her a bit, but not in the way he wanted it.

"I guess I'm not your life then, am I?" she asked and then picked up her purse and walked out of the apartment.

She made her way over to her best friend's apartment.

"Sooyoung-unnie," she said when the door opened to reveal her closest friend's face. Her voice barely came out in more than a whisper though, and she was already close to tears.

"Oh no, Eunmi, not again, huh?" Sooyoung asked and Eunmi just nodded slightly, letting herself unravel as Sooyoung pulled her into a warm hug.

It took a cup of tea, and a half hour of tears before Eunmi finally pulled herself together, still wrapped in Sooyoung's arms.

"I just can't deal with it anymore, unni, I really can't," she said, sniffling back the tears that were threatening to start again.

"I know it hurts, but you can't really blame him. It IS his job afterall," Sooyoung said. She wasn't taking sides, not really, she was just being the negotiator between them. Sometimes it was best that people had a mediator between them during arguments. It's often too hard to look past one's own bias to see the other perspective. Especially when it came to love.

"It is, but, sometimes I feel like he loves it more than me. I understand that he has certain concerts and shows that he has to be at, but I would just like a little more time with him," Eunmi explained.

It wasn't like she was going to ask him to quit singing forever, she knew just how much it meant to him. That, and he had a second family with Super Junior.

"I won't say that either of you are right or wrong, because there is no right answer to this. Life just isn't fair sometimes," Sooyoung reasoned and Eunmi knew that she was right.

There was no right or wrong answer to their problem. The solution was in balance. Balance between work and each other. Balance between their individual lives and their life together.

"I guess it doesn't matter, I think I kind of ended it," Eunmi said after a long period of silence.

"You did what?" Sooyoung questioned her. She hadn't thought that Eunmi would let it go that far.

"Maybe it is for the best. I think I could use a little break anyway. He is leaving in the morning, so I can go and get my stuff. Would you be willing to put me up a few days so I can find myself an apartment?" she asked, knowing that Sooyoung would be more than willing to help her out.

"Of course, but do you really want to move out this suddenly? I mean, what if when he comes back you can fix things?" Sooyoung asked but Eunmi just shook her head.

"He is going on tour with Super Junior-M for two months," Eunmi explained and Sooyoung nodded in understanding.

 

Sungmin's mind wasn't focused on the tour that they were about to head out on when he boarded the plane the next morning. Instead all he could think about was Eunmi, and how she had walked out on him after saying he wasn't a part of her life.

Well, what he would like to tell her was that she was a part of his life. Whether she was physically there or not, she was a part of his life. They had been together for too long, she had become a part of who he was. You couldn't just walk away from that.

Apparently, though, Eunmi could. Because she didn't come back that night like Sungmin had thought she would. If she had, he thought, he would have liked to tell her just how much she meant to him. He couldn't imagine being with anybody else. It was only her, forever and always.

All he knew was that it was going to be a long, long two months until he was back in Korea.

3 Months Later

After he had gotten back Sungmin had been determined to find Eunmi, to show her just how much she meant to him. To ask for her back. He'd do anything for her. He had even asked Lee Soo Man about quitting SJ-M so that he wouldn't have to travel abroad as much. He would still have to do Super Shows, but those were much shorter trips.

He had been surprised to see that Eunmi had moved out. Living together felt so natural to him, then again he was never home either. Most nights she was fast asleep by the time he slipped in the door quietly.

Tracking her down wasn't an easy task. She hadn't left a note, and when he tried her cell phone he found that the number had been changed. Seoul was a big place, and he didn't even know if she was still in Seoul anymore.

After a desperate call to Sooyoung he hadn't gotten anything. But when he showed up at Sooyoung's door she really had no choice but to speak to him.

"She doesn't want to see you, Sungmin!" Sooyoung scolded him, trying to close the door on him to no avail.

"But I need to see her! I need to tell her how much I love her, how much she means to me," Sungmin argued and Sooyoung sighed, disappearing back into her apartment only to appear again moments later holding a slip of paper.

"Go, but I'm not sure you will like what you find," Sooyoung said, handing him the little piece of paper.

"Thank you, Sooyoung, really, thank you," Sungmin said, bowing slightly as he walked away from the door, looking down at the paper in his hands as though it held all of his hope in the world.

 

It only took him fifteen minutes on the subway to get to Eunmi's new apartment. It was a nice place, close to downtown. He knew she always loved being near the center of things.

He made his way up to the third floor where her apartment was and hesitated at the door, before knocking solidly three times.

Sungmin started to think that nobody was home, but just as he was about to walk away he heard the locks unclick and the door opened a crack. He saw Eunmi peeking out the crack at him, her brown eyes curious.

"Sungmin," she said his name as though it was a taboo. He didn't like that. In his head she would have been happy to see him again. Then again, what happened in his head was hardly ever what happened in reality.

"Eunmi," he said and then paused, realizing that he sounded a little stupid. All of the rehearsals in front of the mirror seemed to go to waste as he forgot everything that he planned on saying.

"I'm sorry."

The pathetic apology was out of his mouth before he could stop it. He knew it sounded crappy, as though he couldn't think of anything better say. It wasn't that, really, he had a hundred things that he wanted to tell her-they just escaped him at the moment.

"Eunmi, who is it?" a male voice called from within the apartment and Sungmin's eyes went wide.

"Are you?" he started, not needing to finish the question as Eunmi slowly nodded.

"I'm sorry, Sungmin, but I couldn't wait for you anymore. I loved you, still do probably. But as much as I loved you, I couldn't stop my life for you. I have a right to be happy, and I think you know that," she said and Sungmin bowed his head, rejected.

She was right, of course she was right. He was stupid to think that he could have made a relationship work with his career. This was why idols didn't date. They didn't have time to sleep properly, let alone build a life with another person.

It was sad, sure, but it was a sacrifice that he and all his band mates made willingly. Because that was their life, and they were happy with that.

"Goodbye, Sungmin," she said, closing the door slowly and Sungmin knew that that was it. That was goodbye, the end of three good years together.

"Goodbye," he muttered and then turned to leave.

Halfway down the hallway he turned to see her standing halfway out the door, watching him go.

"I loved you, you know that, right?" he called back to her.

They way she looked at him was soft, caring even.

'I know,' she mouthed before she stepped back into the apartment and Sungmin finished his journey to the end of the hallway.

It was over, just like that. Did he still love her? Yes. Did she still love him? Maybe. It didn't matter though, because what she had said was true. He couldn't make her wait and stop her life to accommodate him. That wasn't fair, and he knew it.  But he was ok with it all because he had his own life to return to. And maybe, one day after his idol career was over, he could find somebody that wouldn't have to wait for him. Somebody that could live a life together with him.

Ok, quesiton for you guys. Do I have enough physical description for my characters? I'm not talking action, I mean appearance. I am new to doing OC's, and am used to not having to describe characters when I use idols. Appearance isn't all that important, it is more about the emotion, but I just want to know if you can get the picture in your head. And honestly, until about halfway through this they were going to get back together. I don't know why I changed it.