These Heartstrings

These Heartstrings

 

The light mood had seemed to grow tenser before she’d skidded over here. Chungha's friends stared at her in shock. Their friend, in an arranged marriage? What kind of nonsense is that? Chaeyeon shook her head in disbelief. Nayoung cleared trying to lighten the mood.

 

“Since when?” She asked. Chungha thought back to when her parents first told her, her face mirrored what theirs did now.

 

“Almost a year ago but it’s only now going to be exposed to the public.” She said. ”I really wanted to tell you guys but I didn’t know how.” Nayoung rubbed the younger girls back soothingly.

 

Yoojung clicked her tongue. “Have you even met them yet?” she questioned. Chungha shook her head. “Not yet we’re supposed to meet,-” Her words were cut short with surrounding commotion. “Now I guess.” She along with the rest of her friends stood in the front of the forming crowd, as a car pulled up. First a man dressed in all black stepped out of the driver seat crossing over to the backseat. Everything seemed to slow as the driver opened the car door. Out stepped a smiling girl, shades covered her face though she still felt familiar to Chungha. Chungha’s heart got stuck in as the girl removed her shades. Those damned sparkling eyes she’s tried to forget.  

 

Their eyes meet and time completely stopped. A flash of remembrance danced in their eyes. Chungha was the first to look away, up at the sky questioning fate.

 

-----

 

Areum walked up the stairs with a low sigh every time she bowed to someone. Too many people can make a person anxious.  She stopped at the door she hoped was the same. Just as she was about to knock, the door swung open revealing too many faces she didn’t know. One girl stood up straight with crossed arms. “What do you need?” Areum only pointed to Chungha who stood frozen in place.

 

Before the girl could retort anything else she was pulled away from the door frame. “Yah Kyulkyung stop it she’ll have to talk to her eventually.” Kyulkyung? One name down too many more to go. She shook her head as she entered the room, closing the door behind her. Chungha’s mind seemed to be thawed at this point. “What do you wa-” Her question was cut short as Areum pressed her lips to hers. The kiss became rough and heated as Chungha’s back hit the wall. They pulled away with heavy breaths. Areum’s eyes searched Chungha’s. With trembling lips she spoke.

 

“I missed you.” Chungha said nothing only pulling the girl into another bruising kiss.

 

------

 

Areum huffed as she leaned back against her car. She smiled as she caught the sight of Chungha exiting her school building. “Chungha!” The younger girl's’ eyes traveled to Areum’s spot. A grimace crossed her face as she walked toward her.

 

“What?” She asked hurriedly.

 

“I came to see my best friend.” Chungha shushed her immediately. “No, no we are not best friends, we’re nothing but engaged stranger from now on. Do you understand.”

 

Areum observed the girl for a moment before flashing the girl a smile. ‘Fine if that’s how you want to play.’

 

“Fine but I’ll need my fiancee to accompany somewhere”

 

“Areum.” Chungha whined though it was supposed to come off as aggressive.

 

“What, am I not allowed to get to know you?” Chungha only huffed, saying nothing as she got in the passenger seat waiting for Areum

 

Areum set set down two cups struggling to hide her sly smile. She took a sip casually waiting for Chungha to do the same. Once she did a snicker could be heard as Chungha’s face contorted into disgust.

 

“I..think we have the wrong drink.”

 

Faux confusion crossed Areum’s face. “Hm, wht makes you say that?”

 

“You know I don’t-” She stopped mid sentence, her tongue prodded t her cheek. ‘She’s messing with me.’

 

“Well if you don’t like it I could get you another one.” Chungha took this as her chance.

 

The sound of the shop bells could be heard as Chungha dashed out of the cafe. Areum turned not surprised to see the table now empty. She shook her head with a smile.

 

------

 

Chungha’s friends laughed as she screamed into her pillow. It was the second week of she and Areum pretending to be strangers. Not that Areum was actually trying anyway. It was more of her bringing up old memories and messing with her head.  She tried so hard to forget her and now she suddenly comes back as her fiance

“Why don’t you just stop pretending and talk to her.” Nayoung offered.

 

Kyulkyung shook her head. “It’s obviously not that simple, Areum was her first love and she just up and left.”

 

“Yeah.” Yoojung chimed in “You know what they say, first loves never last.” Doyeon smacked her head. “I told you to stop watching Goblin.”

 

Chaeyeon rolled her eyes at the two. She walked over to Chungha, pulling her up to stand. “Listen the past is just past, consider this your second chance, these don’t come often so I’m not letting you miss it.” She encouraged as she pushed her out of her own room. “Go make things right.”

 

Her shoulders slumped as she pulled out her phone, shooting a text to Areum.

 

------

 

“I remember you’d always spend your time here before exams.” Chungha jumped at the voice even though she recognized it so well. Maybe out if fear of confrontation.  She tore her eyes away from the white screen. The home theatre she’d told other people was made just for her.

 

She opened to speak but nothing came out.

 

“I’m sorry.” Areum said Chungha stared at her surprised.

 

“What?” She asked hoping she’d heard correctly.

 

“I’m sorry, for leaving you all alone.’

 

Chungha wanted to scoff. “Areum, you didn’t just leave me alone, you left me heartbroken.”

 

“I was thirteen, I couldn’t just refuse my mother’s happiness, it felt selfish.”

 

“You never called or texted and now the only reason you’re back is because of an arranged marriage.” Chungha coked out bitterly

 

Areum shook her head desperately. “No, no you don’t know how much I’ve dreamt of us happening and now that it finally is, I couldn’t care less about the circumstances because it’s you.”

 

A tear dropped down Chungha’s face as she smiled brightly. Her hands on both sides of Areum’s face. “I love you.” She whispered before pulling her into a kiss.

 

A/N Yo guys why does it feel like I just wrote a drama? Is it just me or..