I Caught Him; The Summer of Seventh Grade

Begin Again

wc~700

Characters: Sehun, Kyungsoo

Description: As a thirteen year old boy, Sehun has priorities and very important things on his mind; like catching a Dragonite that keeps swarming the neighborhood  ice cream shop. But one of the workers there can’t seem to leave him alone, long enough to catch it.

 

 

“They don’t understand,” he grumbled as he sat on the sidewalk, smartphone in hand, “I can’t not play, what if a rare pokemon comes and I miss it?”

 

Sehun continued his bitter rant, stuffing flavor explosive goldfish in his mouth as he gazed at his screen, brows furrowed while his eyes tried to defend against the glaring forcefield that was sun, “grown-ups just don’t get it, they’re boring and have no magic. It’s all been out of them by jobs and children.”

 

“It ‘s not just grown-ups, I don’t get it either. I mean, I liked the show, and the new app is cool, but you’re being ridiculous.”

 

His friend’s criticism only made for a more concentrated expression, and impassioned tapping on the “nearby” menu of his phone screen. “Damn’t!” He shrieked, “there it was again, but it must’ve flown away!”

 

His friend rolled his eyes at the dramatic display, one he had seen repeated over the past month and a half since the app was launched. He couldn’t find it in his heart (or patience) to break it to Sehun, that the supposed Dragonite  couldn’t really have flown away; because it didn’t exist.

 

“Yeah, well, that’s too bad,” Kyungsoo mumbled dryly, “can we go in and get ice cream now?”

 

The only reason he was here, sitting on this bench outside an ice cream shop on a hotass 95 degree day, was because his best friend had promised to hangout with him (instead of his pokemon) and actually go in the store for once.

 

Ever since the discovery of the possible rare pokemon sighting near the shop, Sehun had been indulging his sweet tooth biweekly for a chance at another sighting and/or it’s capture. However, the more Sehun indulged in three scoops of rocky road with chocolate sauce and cheesecake crumble, the less pleasure he took in consuming his splendid dish of heart attack.

 

“It’s him,” he’d mutter indignantly, “that smugass prettyman with caramel crunch for hair. He’s the reason I’m not catching Elfen or enjoying my ice cream!” His onslaught of complaints only concluded with another scowl and shrewd expression, crossing his arms and legs before realizing he needed to uncross his arms so he could pay attention to the screen.

 

“I swear, everytime I go in and order he laughs at me, he smirks at me and mocks me when I ask for extra chocolate sauce ‘cause who’s the one paying for it? I am!”

 

Kyungsoo only tossed his head back and forth, smacking a damp palm onto his sweaty forehead; ‘cause good gracious was it hot out. He had been putting up with the same whines and banter since Sehun first spotted the rare pokemon- or Elfen as he had decidedly named it.

 

Elfen was a main character of his supposedly favorite anime. The cause of Kyungsoo’s umpteenth eyeroll at his proud choice, was that Sehun hadn’t even seen the entire anime. He had watched the opening scene of the first episode from a clip on Youtube; the few minutes had popped up, due to the fact that it was declared the most gruesome and violent opening scene of all time in anime history and of course, Sehun was elated with glee at seeing something inappropriate and “magical” as he liked to say.

 

It was very fortunate, that Kyungsoo was there to guide his hand over the other’s eyes as they leaked and wept in terror during the first 30 seconds. After making it out of a third of the clip, Sehun seemed satisfied in what he had overcome, and proceeded to brag about watching the mature anime to all of his friends (meaning, just Kyungsoo.)

 

*

 

It was there, stunning and magical in all of it’s rainbow-backgrounded glory, but all Sehun could do was stare at the screen as his eyes trailed tears. From what, he didn’t know. But he simply gazed on at the yellow monsters’ pixelated grin and fluttering miniscule wings before darkening his screen. Mumbling, “it’s too beautiful to catch,” and hanging his head down.

 

Jaw unhinged, Kyungsoo swiped the iphone from his limp hand, glided his thumb over the screen while capturing Elfen and putting the device back into Sehun’s pocket to deal with later. He knew something was gravely wrong, but also knew he couldn’t let his friend throw away something he had wanted and longed for, for so long.

 

A/N: I actually had planned for this to become a much darker hunhan fic, with a manipulative/stalkerish/creeper Luhan as the worker at the ice cream shop. But that obviously didn’t happen…