final.

if only

"Sowon unnie!"

Sowon looked up from behind the counter as a short-haired girl entered the cafe, and smiled when the younger girl waved at her. "Hey, Eunha. One caramel latte coming right up."

Eunha always came in during her shift and ordered a cup of caramel latte, so it had already became a habit for her to start making it the instant the girl walked through the glass doors. "Here you go." She placed the warm cup on the counter and smiled in satisfaction as she watched the younger girl take a sip. "So, what's up?"

"Unnie, can you describe love to me?"

The older girl eyed the girl sitting on the opposite of the counter curiously. "I think you're asking the wrong person since I never dated anyone before."

Eunha pouted. "Then, can you tell me what you think love is? I really need to know."

"Hmm..." Sowon pursed her lips as she observed the younger girl in front of her. "I think love is when your heart beats uncontrollably when the other person is next to you, when you'll smile like a fool when you look at the other person, when you... wait a minute. What do you mean you need to know? Oh, is my little fairy in love with someone?"

"Unnie…" Eunha whined at Sowon's personal nickname for her. "I'm not going to tell you if you're going to tease me."

"Alright." Sowon began cleaning the counter again with the towel in her hand.

"Unnie…" Eunha whined again when Sowon didn't asked any more questions. "Okay, I'll tell you." She gave in since she did come to the cafe to tell the older girl about her newly developed crush, only to realize that Sowon had tricked her by acting nonchalant. "Sowon unnie!" She frowned at the grin forming on Sowon's face.

"Okay okay." Sowon held her hand in the air as a sign of apologizing. "So, are you going to tell me who this lucky guy is?"

"That's where you come in, unnie! I don't know her name yet, but you do."

"Her name?" Sowon never knew that Eunha was interested in the same gender, and had always assumed that the younger girl liked the opposite gender since she was always talking about how hot she thought her favourite boy group was. She smiled at the new information she had learned. "If you don't know her name, how should I know it then?" She asked curiously.

"She's the famous girl in your class!" Eunha exclaimed excitedly.

Sowon smiled knowing perfectly well who was the girl Eunha was talking about. "I know who you're talking about now. You mean Sana."

"I knew you'll know who she is!" Eunha smiled happily as she clapped her hands. "Sana." She repeated, testing the felling of the name rolling off of her tongue.

Sowon softly smiled at the sight in front of her and continued to clean the counter.

---

"You know that you look like a stalker now, right?"

Eunha turned her head away from the other girl to glare at Sowon.

"I can introduce you to her." Sowon smiled at the younger girl as she worked on the coffee machine.

Eunha quickly shook her head at the suggestion, blushing already at the thought of talking to Sana. "It'll be embarrassing if you introduced us. What will you tell her?"

"That you have a crush on her?" Sowon smiled as she teased the younger girl. "Caramel latte." She set the warm cup on the table and watched as the girl pouted before taking a drink from the cup. "My little fairy is adorable when she's shy."

"Unnie…" Eunha whined at the older girl's teasing. She reluctantly sighed when the teasing smile stayed on Sowon's face, and laid her head down onto the counter. It has already been a week since she had first saw Sana, but she couldn't muster enough courage to say a single word to the beautiful girl. She was afraid that that the girl will know her feelings the instant they make any type of contact. "Maybe I should just forget about this..."

Sowon returned some change to her customer before she turned over to look at Eunha, and chuckled lightly when she saw that the girl was completely slouched over the counter. "Okay." She replied back nonchalantly as she focused on making the customer's order.

"Okay?"

Sowon peeked over at Eunha's direction, smiling at the frown that had formed across the younger girl's face. "But just don't regret it later on."

"Unnie, have you ever regretted about something?" Eunha asked.

"Maybe." She smiled at the curious expression on Eunha's face and lightly patted the younger girl's head. "But right now we're worrying about your problems, not mine." She looked over towards the back corner of the room, where Sana was sitting. "If you really like her Eunha, don't give up so easily if you don't have a good reason. Do you really like her?"

Eunha looked back at Sowon and gave a firm nod.

"Well, I guess I can help you win her over then."

"Really?" Eunha sat straight up on the stool. She had asked Sowon for help before, but the girl had said that she was only going introduce them, and refused to do anything else. "Unnie, you're the best!" She leaned over the counter and pulled the other girl into a hug to show her gratitude.

"I'll only help you if you promise me one thing," Sowon said firmly. She waited for the younger girl to nod before continuing to speak. "Promise me you'll be happy, okay?"

"I will, unnie."

---

"So...won...un...nie..."

Sowon laughed as Eunha's voice decreased with each syllable she pronounced as she entered the cafe. "What happened to my loud greeting?" She teased, as she peeked over at a certain girl that was already in the cafe.

"Unnie…" Eunha pouted. "Why do you like teasing me so much?"

"Because you're too cute to not tease." Sowon answered back with a light pinch on the younger girl's cheek. She chuckled when Eunha slapped her hand away and went to make a cup of caramel latte. "So, today?"

Eunha quickly shook her head at the question, knowing perfectly well what Sowon was asking about. "I'm not ready yet." She said softly as she peeked over at Sana sitting in the corner.

"Smiling like a lovesick fool isn't going to help you become friends with her." Sowon teased Eunha as she placed a warm cup in front of the younger girl. "And I can't help you too if you're not willing to talk to her."

"I'm just scared," Eunha sighed as she watched Sana gracefully took a sip from her cup in her hand while she flipped through a magazine. The girl was just one year older than her, but Eunha felt that she was an elementary student compared to the other girl, making her lose the little confidence she had in herself. "What if she thinks I'm an immature little girl?"

Sowon lightly laughed at the question and gently patted Eunha's head. "You're prefect the way you are."

Eunha pouted at Sowon's response, unsure if the older girl was teasing her or not. She smiled again when Sowon placed a cookie in front of her. "Thank you, unnie." She reached for the cookie and took a big bite.

Seeing a few crumbs on the corner of Eunha's lips, Sowon gently wiped it off with her fingers. She smiled when she noticed the pout beginning to from on Eunha's lips.

"Sow..."

"Hey Sowon, can I get another cup of hot chocolate?"

"Ah!" Eunha yelped in surprise at the familiar voice and fell off of her stool and onto the floor. Looking up from the ground, she blushed when she met eyes with Sana, who was looking down at her. When she heard someone began to laugh, she turned to look at Sowon, and pouted when she couldn't find the older girl; Sowon had bent over when she was laughing and the counter completely hid her figure.

"Are you okay?" Sana bent down and stretched out a hand for the fallen girl.

Eunha nodded sheepishly as she reached for Sana's hand and allowed the girl to pull her up. "I-I'm okay." She mumbled, feeling completely embarrassed by what had happened. She had been too occupy with the older girl in front of her to notice that Sana had walked over to the counter, and was caught by surprise when she heard the girl's voice ordered another cup of coffee.

"You have a very cute sister, Sowon." Sana commented as she paid for her drink.

"Oh, she's not my sister. She's just an annoying little girl that has lived next door to me since we were kids." Sowon tried her best to keep a straight face when she caught Eunha glaring at her again. "What's wrong my little fairy?" She smiled sweetly at the younger girl.

"Unnie…" Eunha whined. She looked down at the floor in embarrassment when she saw the smile forming on Sana's lips; the girl probably thought that she was an immature little girl now. When she heard Sowon gave a small cough, she looked up at the older girl and frowned in confusion when she saw the girl winking at her. "Huh?" She mouthed.

"Introduce!" Sowon mouthed back, winking an eye at Sana this time.

"Oh…" Eunha mumbled. She looked up at the girl and cleared . "I'm Eunha." She stretched out her hand.

"Sana." Sana smiled as she shook Eunha's hand.

When Sana left the cafe, Eunha could only stare blankly at the hand that Sana had shook. It felt tingly and warm and she smiled like a fool as she brought her hand to the face.

"Don't be weird now and start smelling your hand."

Eunha frowned at the older girl, earning her a teasing smile from Sowon's face. When Sowon turned to take an order from another customer, she secretly brought the hand up to her nose and gave a tiny sniff.

Sowon peeked over at Eunha's direction while she made the customer's coffee, softly sighing at the younger girl's action.

---

"You come here a lot, don't you?"

Eunha nodded shyly at Sana's question. From the corner of her eyes, she saw the smile that was threatening to form on Sowon's face, but she held in the temptation to whine or pout at the older girl; she had to be mature now because Sana was sitting next to her. "Y-yes." She stuttered.

"Hahaha!"

Both Sana and Eunha turned to look at Sowon.

"I-I'm sorry." Sowon apologized as best as she could through her laughing. "B-but this is too f-funny!"

Eunha pouted, feeling completely embarrassed now. Sowon had promised to help, and she didn't understand why the older girl was teasing her at a time like this.

"Cute." Sana smiled at the hint of red forming on Eunha's cheeks.

Sowon smiled as she placed some cookies  in front of the two girls before walking off to attend to the new customers walking in. She deserved a prize for her excellent acting back there; if it wasn't for her, Sana would have missed Eunha's outgoing personality.

Taking a peek over at the Eunha's direction, Sowon watched as the younger girl became more and more comfortable with Sana. Eunha was talking loudly now, swinging her arms excitedly and no longer stuttering. She really deserved a prize now, for the smile that was still on her face.

---

"Sowon?"

Sowon looked up from the counter and was surprised to find Sana standing in front of her. "Eunha's not coming here today. She has a big test, so she's probably cramming right now."

"Oh, I know." Sana replied with a smile. "I actually came to see you. Can I get a cup of hot chocolate?"

Sowon nodded as she made the girl's order, smiling softly at the thought of Eunha and Sana's interactions outside the cafe; the two of them were getting closer now after the awkward start. "Enjoy." She said as she placed the warm cup onto the counter.

Sana smiled as she sat down on a stool. "Thank you."

Sowon nodded as she watched Sana take a small sip while sitting at Eunha's usual spot.

"Sowon, you're close with Eunha, right?" Sana asked as she placed her cup back onto the counter. "Do you know if she's seeing anyone?"

Sowon blinked in surprise at the unsuspecting question, but politely replied back. "Not at the moment. Why? Are you interested in her?"

Sana smiled shyly at Sowon's question. "To be honest, Eunha was the reason I come to this cafe so frequently. I felt she was special the first time I saw her here. But I was afraid to introduce myself because I didn't want to be too bold and scare her away... Now that we're friends, I don't know if I should tell her my true feelings or not... since I can still scare her away..."

Sowon smiled at the girl sitting in front of her, knowing perfectly well the questions that were probably going through Sana's head at the moment. It was scary knowing that one little confession could ruin a close friendship, making not-confessing a very tempting option to choose. But not-confessing has it's downsides too.

"Do you think I should confess anyways?" Sana asked with lips pursed in deep thought.

"I think you should." Sowon brought out a towel and began cleaning the counter. She had promised the younger girl that she would help, and she was going to keep the promise. "Who knows... maybe she likes you too."

"Really?" Sana smiled at the thought.

Sowon looked up from she was doing and smiled at Sana's expression; Eunha would probably looked the same way when she learned that Sana liked her too. "Well, you wouldn't want to regret later when you find out that she liked girls as well but she had fallen for someone else already, right? So you should confess before it's too late."

Sana nodded at Sowon's suggestion. "She's probably tired from all the studying she's been doing... I should get her something to drink." She mumbled to herself, before she looked back up at Sowon. "Sowon, can you make me another cup of hot chocolate?"

Sowon stopped herself from telling the other girl that Eunha usually drank caramel lattes and nodded at the request. She wondered if Eunha will need anymore of her caramel lattes now that she had her hot chocolates.

---

When Eunha had first told her about her crush on Sana, Sowon didn't realize that it would turn into something so deep. The day the two of them became an official couple, Eunha had sent her a text message thanking her for all her support, and she realized that everything was too late. The younger girl was officially with someone else now, and she was destined to watch from afar.

"Sowon unnie!"

Sowon looked up from the counter as a girl entered the cafe, and smiled when Eunha waved at her. She also smiled and gave a wave to Sana, who was holding onto Eunha's right hand when the two girls entered. She watched as Eunha spoke with Sana for a second before making her way to the counter; Sana had walked to an empty table all the way in the corner of the cafe. "Two hot chocolates?" She asked when the younger girl stood in front of her.

Eunha shook her head at Sowon's question. "One hot chocolate and a caramel latte please." She ordered as she leaned against the counter.

"One hot chocolate and one caramel latte coming right up." Sowon smiled at the younger girl before she turned to work on the coffee machine. Taking a peek at the younger girl as she made the two drinks, she smiled as she watched Eunha mouthed something at Sana, and other girl mouthing something in response back. She had to admit the two of them look extremely cute together, and she was happy for them. "Here you go my little fairy!" She handed the warm cups over to the younger.

"Unnie…" Eunha pouted as she held the two cups in her hand.

Sowon playfully sighed at the little whine. "I guess I need to find a new little fairy now..."

"Yah, Sowon unnie! You better not give someone else my nickname!" Eunha stood firmly in her spot, refusing to leave until she received a promise from the older girl.

"Okay okay okay!" Sowon held her hand up in the air as a sign of surrendering. "Now go to your table and stop blocking my other customers!"

"You promised, so I better not hear you calling someone else a little fairy!" Eunha reminded. She smiled again before walking to where Sana was sitting.

Sowon sighed when she looked over at the empty spot where Eunha usually sat in whenever she was in the cafe. She brought out a towel and began cleaning the area, even though she had just cleaned it minutes ago.

"You could be sitting there with her..."

Sowon turned around and smiled at her friend.

"...if you had confessed to her like I told you too." Yerin continued to speak as she made a cup of coffee for herself.

"Life is too short to be worrying about 'if only I had done this' or 'if only I had done that'.” Sowon replied.

It would have been a complete lie to say that she hadn't thought about how her relationship would be like with Eunha if something had happened instead of something else; like how things would be if she hadn't worried about the younger girl being disgusted when she learned that she liked the same gender, or if she had confessed first when she learned that the younger girl had the same ual orientation as her own, or if she hadn't volunteered to introduce the younger girl to Sana and promised to help the younger girl win her over.

But after thinking about these possibilities for a while, Sowon realized that they were possibilities because she'll never know what would happened if she had made a different choice, so she stopped worrying about them. They weren't important since Eunha was happy now with the choices she had made; she'll worried about her own happiness some other time.

Recalling their first conversation about the younger girl's crush, Sowon smiled when she remembered that she was about to say a third view she had about love before she had interrupted herself. She turned to face Yerin, earning her confused look from her. "Love is when you're willing to make sacrifices for the other person's happiness."

And Eunha had kept her promise.

---

 

a/n: the direction for this one-shot is something i haven't tried before, so hopefully it didn't turn out too awkward. thank you for all the comments!