"Why do you settle for second place?"

First Place

Yewon wanted to be the best at many things, but mostly, she wanted to be the best at things she was already good at. Like, let’s say… English.

 

Illa had already praised her pronunciation before, saying the way the words sounded in her voice was “crispy clean”. Yewon quickly added that phrase to her vocabulary, although she didn’t sound as good as one person in her class.

 

In that class, Yewon was unfortunately, only second best.

 

Of course, a good-intentioned girl like her couldn’t ever hate the best in class. Quite the contrary, she liked her very much. If not for the way she talked, confident, but cute, then the way she presented herself. Bright. Clean. Educated.

 

Yewon was again, and still, only second best.

 

She was kind of disappointed this pattern would keep repeating throughout the day. Music class: the girl’s compositions would get chosen over Yewon’s, time and time again.

 

Choir: she would always get the main parts, despite Yewon’s great voice.

 

Biology: she would get most, if not all the answers right, making the teacher clap. Every. Single. Time.

 

It was frustrating. Absolutely so. But then again, Yewon’s heart could never allow her to be mad at the girl. Never, absolutely never, even feel something close to hate. Envy? Sure. Hate?

 

Never.

 

And that was why she kept quiet. Kept smiling, a wide smile that hid no ill-intent, did no harm. It was better this way, and Yewon would always try to do her best, either way. She was content with second best, this time.

 

“Yewon?” The voice called, that voice she knew so well. How it sounded, how it sang, how it whistled. Every single tone it could muster.

 

“Yeah?” She smiled, getting up from her chair, closing her Bio book.

 

“Can I talk to you?”

 

“Sure!” She put the book inside her backpack, and followed the girl along.

 

Yewon knew where they were headed. It was the music practice room, filled with instruments and music note decorations. Yewon held that room close to her heart, and she was pretty sure the girl did too.

 

They sat side to side, in the small piano seat, about a palm away from each other’s thighs. Yewon waited patiently; somehow, she knew what the girl was going to say was important.

 

“Yewon…” She started, and that was the first time she could sense the nervousness in her tone. That was so unusual, she payed even more attention, which seemed impossible.

 

“Yeah, Sungyeon?” She smiled sweetly at her, encouraging the girl to keep speaking.

 

“How… how do you settle for second best? Why do you settle for second best all the time?” Sungyeon asked, and suddenly, Yewon couldn’t breathe. She could feel the pain in the girl’s voice, so clear it tugged at her heartstrings.

 

“Sungyeon… why are you asking me that?” She took the opportunity to gently place her hand above hers, caressing her worn out guitar-playing fingers softly.

 

“Because… I always take it from you. I take things from you, all the time.” Sungyeon took a deep breath, as if admitting guilt was the hardest of things. Yewon imagined it was true. “And… and you do- do nothing. It seems like you just… don’t care. How can you keep being second best all the time? How do you settle for less than first?” Her tone was desperate now, as if Sungyeon’s doubt was slowly killing her.

 

“I don’t settle for less than first, Sungyeon. I try just as hard as you, and I wanna win just as much.” Yewon used her other hand to lift Sungyeon’s chin up, wiping the tears in her cheeks. “But, sometimes you just gotta know, that it’s okay to be second place sometimes. Even most times.”

 

“But I…”

 

“Shh.” She shut her up by moving wild strands of caramel behind Sungyeon’s ear. “It doesn’t mean you’re not good. It doesn’t mean you’re not talented. It just means… that your time to shine will come another day. So I’m patient. And I work hard. Because I trust, my day will come. People will see my worth. Maybe not today, but surely, someday.” Yewon smiled, looking down, not with sadness, but with pride.

 

Sungyeon stayed silent for a while, taking her words in. She really, really admired Yewon. Sometimes that admiration would lead to healthy competition; sometimes, it would lead to her daydreaming about Yewon’s wide smile. And gleaming eyes.

 

“Yewon.” She looked up, suddenly sure. Suddenly fixed.

 

“Hm?”

 

“Let’s make a promise.” Sungyeon smiled, for the first time that day, and Yewon smiled along.

 

“What promise?”

 

“We…” Sungyeon held her hand in hers, beaming at the way they fit perfectly together. “Will try our hardest. Always.”

 

Yewon smiled impossibly wider. “It sounds great. And what will we seal the promise with? Pinkies?” She asked, raising up her pinky.

 

“No.” Sungyeon smiled shyly, inching closer to her.

 

“What then?”

 

“A kiss.” Sungyeon whispered, closing up the space parting their thighs, her lips when she felt it, felt Yewon’s breath hitching.

 

Their hands stayed together as their lips met, not fervorously or anything like that, but innocently. Closed eyes saw more than open eyes ever could, as a few piano keys sounded because Yewon accidentally bumped into them, causing Sungyeon to laugh against before kissing her again, leaving several small smooches, not wanting to separate from her.

 

And this time, Yewon only settled for first place. But it was okay, since she clearly won first place, inside Sungyeon’s heart.